• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf's first NeoCosplay Thread. Muahahaha

Platy

Loved the Misery one !

Also, Karen Gilliam tweeted this :

LnPIdBd.jpg

I am planning to cosplay for fun at Otakon (my first con), but I only have one Character in mind. Do people generally have more than one cosplay throughout the entire con? Or I guess the question I want to know is: is it normal or accepted to have one? I'm not planning to participate in any competition or contest either. I'm just not sure how ppl will feel seeing me in the same cosplay like two days in a row =\

Olorin

I am planning to cosplay for fun at Otakon (my first con), but I only have one Character in mind. Do people generally have more than one cosplay throughout the entire con? Or I guess the question I want to know is: is it normal or accepted to have one? I'm not planning to participate in any competition or contest either. I'm just not sure how ppl will feel seeing me in the same cosplay like two days in a row =\
There's nothing wrong with wearing the same cosplay for two days, especially if it's your first convention. Nobody will complain, and the only reason to bring more than one is if you want it yourself. It's all about having fun, so don't worry :)
I usually wear 3-5 cosplays at a convention (unless it's a single day con) because I'll often get bored of a cosplay after a while, or I just want something more comfortable for the evenings.

Chastten

Banned
Not quite sure what the average temperature is during Otakon, but keep in mind it might get hot.

I personally would change outfits every day for personal hygene reasons (both for yourself and your fellow con-goers, some people smell absolutely horrible after a couple of hours in cosplay :p ) but no one will bat an eye if you wear the same cosplay again. :)

Not quite sure what the average temperature is during Otakon, but keep in mind it might get hot.

I personally would change outfits every day for personal hygene reasons (both for yourself and your fellow con-goers, some people smell absolutely horrible after a couple of hours in cosplay :p ) but no one will bat an eye if you wear the same cosplay again. :)
Thanks, that's a good idea lol. Though my odor is almost scentless when not doing crazy activities. I'm planning to be Orange Star High School Gohan and it may end up being a really casual outfit. I live in Virginia (about 45-60 min away from Batimore) so I'm already in that weather lol..

Mesoian

It's not the heat that'll get you, it's the humidity. Otakon is right on the water and if the temperature goes up above 80, which it almost assuredly will unless it's pouring, anything that holds in heat or moisture is gonna kill you. Just keep that in mind, Otakon, when I was going to it, was where I would wear my open flowy outfits. I remember my friends who were in mascot outfits having to go back to the room within an hour of coming out because the humidity was too much in a costume with low ventilation.

Ok so I'm sat here thinking some of these cosplay outfits are kinda ... revealing, and some of the cosplayers, well they're not ugly.

So my question... What's the creeper quotient like at these events? I mean sure people will be cool but others less so.

Mesoian

Ok so I'm sat here thinking some of these cosplay outfits are kinda ... revealing, and some of the cosplayers, well they're not ugly.

So my question... What's the creeper quotient like at these events? I mean sure people will be cool but others less so.

It's high.

It's high.

I have a BUNCH of stories, and it's not just guys creeping on girls.

But yeah, it's high.

Chastten

Banned
It's not the heat that'll get you, it's the humidity. Otakon is right on the water and if the temperature goes up above 80, which it almost assuredly will unless it's pouring, anything that holds in heat or moisture is gonna kill you. Just keep that in mind, Otakon, when I was going to it, was where I would wear my open flowy outfits. I remember my friends who were in mascot outfits having to go back to the room within an hour of coming out because the humidity was too much in a costume with low ventilation.

Aight, thanks for explaining! My point still stands though :p I wouldn't recommend a fursuit or big hoopskirt two days in a row.

All depends on the event. Here in the Netherlands it's not that bad, but there is the occasional creeper story nonetheless. Most nuisance comes from non-visitors though.

During our last convention our football team beat Spain with 5 -1 so near the end of the evening there were drunk people all over the place. In the hotel lobby, parking lot, etc, to check out and try to hit on any hot cosplay girl that might be there.

It's high.

It's high.

I have a BUNCH of stories, and it's not just guys creeping on girls.

But yeah, it's high.

Late reply... sorry... but I'm interested in hearing some of them.

Is it ever enough to put you off from Cosplaying? And how do you (or other cosplayers) draw the line between "unwelcome attention" and "welcome attention"?

Mesoian

Late reply... sorry... but I'm interested in hearing some of them.

Is it ever enough to put you off from Cosplaying? And how do you (or other cosplayers) draw the line between "unwelcome attention" and "welcome attention"?

It's never been enough to stop me, but at the same time, I'm a 6'3", 240 pound man who's race is not easily discernible. People don't step to me, that's my privilege. But most of the time when I cosplay, I'm with friends, usually very attractive twenty something females with very ideal bodies who attract a lot of attention. So a lot of times, I'm running interference. I have become exceedingly good at running interference. The only thing that keeps me from cosplaying all the time is my schedule and my increasingly wanning lust for sewing.

But let's see. I'll just tell personal stories that apply for me. One year at Otakon I was dressed as Faust from Guilty Gear and had split off from my group to go to the GG group photoshoot. Everything went as normal for a while until, suddenly, out of nowhere, I was sidetackled by a girl dressed up as Zappa. In the end I probably did more damage to her than she did to me with her tackle hug but still, she did not slow down, it was a full on D-End charging tackle into my side. She was nice, but spastic and we talked for a minute about guilty gear and how she loves Faust and how she has all this Faust X Zappa fanfiction. Then as I was leaving, she asked if she could kiss me, which I said no, and left.

Things like this are uncommon, but they tend not to be talked about because for most guys at an animecon, this would be considered a "win". But it wasn't anything I wanted any part of. And keep in mind for every 1 story I have like this, I have 15 where I had to shew away guys who were creeping on my friends or coming at them with phones in bad angles or tried to grope them while they were getting their pictures taken. I give a lot of respect to managers of young singers because I bet that's what their entire day is like.

And if you like cosplaying, you understand that stuff like that is going to happen, you have to accept it, because the moment you don't, it's the moment where this is no longer fun for you and is no longer worth doing. Not all girls have someone like me around when this is going down. I've seen girls get cornered in dark corners of hotels by guys before, girls put in to genuinely scary situations that, 9 times out of 10, you (you as in me) are better off not being a part of. Cosplay gets younger every year and a lot of people see anime cons as places to drop off their kids unsupervised for a few days because, "what's the worst that can happen at a convention in a hotel filled almost exclusively with nerds". And then you get the Anime Boston 2012 Rave.

I won't stop. None of my friends will stop. But we know the score. We've played this game for a long time.

Lucis

First time trying to do long exposure for light streak + flash grab, didn't go so well.

things went wrong:
1 of my flash broke right before
2 didn't have my camera tripod and remote shutter with me when shooting this.
3 only could try 3 shots before wife no longer want to take picture (long day and heel killed her)

10450315_261106184085130_3227051733565825968_o.jpg

10514225_261138234081925_1648315998134801455_o.jpg

Philippo

Whoa thanks for the read, seems like sometimes it can be pretty tough for cosplayers, expecially females. I always wanted to interact with cosplaying girls at expos, but tend to avoid them exactly because i think how much they must be stressed by real creepers.
And what happened at Anime Boston 2012 Rave? Seems a story that won't end well lol

Mesoian

My dryer is broken, so it looks like i'm cosplaying everyday for Connecticon! Maybe i'll actually get some decent pictures.

Top Bottom