• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT16: Now Watching- Gankutsuou:The Count of Monte Cristo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

lSKTUEg.jpg

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together "AnimeGAF" with other members who can appreciate anime (yes, even "casuals") to watch a series together, then discuss and share our reactions towards it at the same time. Participation in each episode is appreciated, but playing “catch-up” by watching multiple episodes at once is normal as everyone has different responsibilities/time to watch anime. Just don’t post on future episodes unspoilered! The more posting about the series and it's events, the more beneficial it is to everyone, so please post up on the good, the bad and the awful; We are all in this together! (no hiding lurkers) We will have a new show selected to watch every two/three weeks and the genre will vary greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Dragonball Z, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows could be good, bad or possibly trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always welcomed and appreciated for future viewing
- Let's have FUN with this together! Please participate in the review and discussion!

With that being said, It's time for an adventure, so here we go:

T84pxOD.gif

Synopsis:

Gankutsuou is an anime loosely based on the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It tells the story of Albert Morcerf, a young aristocrat who happens to befriend a wealthy nobleman, The Count of Monte Cristo, through a series of bizarre events. Fascinated by the Count's charm, Albert invites him to meet his friends and family, all of whom happen to be part of the upper class society of Paris, France. Unfortunately, little does Albert realize that the Count has ulterior motives in mind.

l6i4FWp.jpg

Episodes: 24
Aired: Oct 6, 2004 to Mar 30, 2005
Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment, Geneon Entertainment USA
Studios: Gonzo
Source: Novel
Genres: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Thriller
Duration: 24 min. per ep.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

MAL Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/239/Gankutsuou

Available for streaming via Crunchyroll, Funimation & Official Youtube channel:

Links:

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo Funimation Link

Official Youtube channel

Crunchyroll Link

*Episodes are set for viewing “one a day” over the next three weeks so we can try to stay together*

A new episode "opens" for discussion each day at 12 am PST:

Open Episodes: ALL

Each following episode opens daily for discussion at 12am PST

Reviews:

When I first browsed through my friends shelf of anime I didn’t pay Gankutsuou much mind, he had told me how good it was and that I would like it but I thought I had better things to do than watch it. As it turns out, I was completely wrong. I eventually picked it up and began watching it and at the end of the first episode I was hooked on it. It was like a drug that I needed to continue pumping into my system, and even now that it is over I crave for more

A nineteenth century classic French novel, in the future, in space with aliens, space ships, giant robots and evil spirits? Surprisingly, it works! I am not sure what Monsieur Dumas would think of his classic 'The Count of Monte Christo' being turned into a galactic drama, but I like many other anime fans certainly enjoyed it!

The story of "The Count of Monte Cristo" has always been one of my favorites. So, I went into this anime with just a little bit of trepidation. I wondered if I should watch it, because I had heard that it veered so much from the original story. But, because of my love for the story, I had to try. And I was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Come join me Friends!

WgcP7gj.gif

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker, Servant x Service, Mazinger Z, Moribito, Tatami Galaxy, and Shiki the Demon Corpse.

Link to the anime Community thread:
NeoGAF Anime Community Thread

*Required ToS Footnote and reminder*

It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

look at GAF-chan’s words of advice:
LVHG7iP.png

W2UjxBJ.jpg

I may watch this, depending on the other media I'm consuming. I've wanted to for years, and Monte Cristo is my favorite novel ever. There's just SO much going on right now.

loyal fans of the original novel might not like the changes they made in the anime version that much, I know I didn't like it at least. with that being said, the anime is a fabulous piece of art visually speaking and it would be a joy for anyone who had never seen it before or never read the book.

Cornbread78

loyal fans of the original novel might not like the changes they made in the anime version that much, I know I didn't like it at least. with that being said, the anime is a fabulous piece of art visually speaking and it would be a joy for anyone who had never seen it before or never read the book.

True, hopefully prople look at the synopsis, but the show is pretty universally praised regardless.

I'll have to pass on this. I rewatched it fairly recently. Still, it's definitely worth checking out for first-time viewers.

Cornbread78

R3ln8XV.jpg

Immediately, the art style grabs you as it is so eccentric and visually stunning! The character introductions were well done (if not a little rushed) however, it definitely feels like I am about to embark on some kind of journey both emotionally and psychologically with the count being so "crazy" in nature.

This is gonna be pretty good.

Jarmel

Banned
Watched the first two episodes, not wild about it. I'll go into this a bit later.

It's not bad but I have issues with some aspects like the art direction.

Szadek

Episode 1
Oh look, The count has the same VA as Alcuard and Kirei, I'm sure he only has the best intentions.
Joking aside, it was strong first episode.
I'm digging the visuals and gambeling game was very well done.

Cornbread78

Ah, so our young MC has a little fight in him, huh? Looks like his bestie might have some feelings for him as well. Also, who/what is the Count? The thig called him "The King of the Cave" during their altercation. I guess they will get more into it as the show goes along.

Thud

Episode 2

Albert likes boys too Franz, take note.

The count is already making plans huh. Almost like he knew this would happen and used his favor to gain residency. Sure, I like to believe he was just being nice and there at the right time. However this dude is suspicious since day one.

The anime does tend to make things a bit more fancier. First they paint him as a sort of fabulous alien, then as a vampire and probably next as Dorian Gray. Also Luna is some scifi version of Rome.

Well it's certainly not boring.

Cornbread78

Pretty uneventful, although, you can already see Albert's fiance' is gonna bang that big dude at some point because she must know Albert is gay for our MC. Also, the count is trouble. Looks like he is going to chase after his mama, lol. This could get interesting for sure.

Cornbread78

Ok now. You're mama gonna get her freak on with the count and his GF is ok with it? Interesting developements right there and the maid boy/girl is nothing but trouble...

This show is friggen' weird....

Thud

Little behind schedule haha.

Episode 3

Target lock down.

Episode 4

The reunion of lovers~

Peppo also know how to get into people's drawers :p

Episode 5

And thus Space Captain Harlock was born.

Cornbread78

Did the Count just openly hit on Albert, even though he hit on his mother as well? What is going on here, lol. Looks like Albert's ship, as well as his mother's is about to crash hardcore, lol.

Szadek

Do none of the legal streaming options work for Europeans?
Darn.
There are add-ons that allow you to watch the shows everywhere.
They are however against the ToS, but CR doesn't seem to really care about that.

Episode 5-6
The count is such a fantastic master manipulator. He knows excatly which buttons to push so that everyone dances by his tune.
I wonder what his master plan looks like.
Ep 6 seems to implies that he might be the dead prince or at the least he is related to him.

We still don't know who that woman who keeps following him, but she obviously is very important.
However, she knows Albert's father and by the way she reacted sonething big must have happened between them.

pbayne

Bit behind but finally got some time to check this out.
Im hooked already. I like the aesthetic-its likes a weird technicolor Tim Burton fever dream. Lots of plot threads gong already, sp excited to see where it goes.

I would be surprised if not because this show streams everywhere in NA.

There are add-ons that allow you to watch the shows everywhere.
They are however against the ToS, but CR doesn't seem to really care about that.
We use a VPN at work, so it might be a lunch time regular activity.

Episode 1
Fairly curious. Completely unfamiliar with the show until now, and I must shamefully admit my ignorance of the specifics of Monte Cristo, but the somewhat grim future-medieval take has me intrigued.
The art is clearly the most striking element, a welcome change from everything else I'm consuming right now.

Cornbread78

Episode 1
Fairly curious. Completely unfamiliar with the show until now, and I must shamefully admit my ignorance of the specifics of Monte Cristo, but the somewhat grim future-medieval take has me intrigued.
The art is clearly the most striking element, a welcome change from everything else I'm consuming right now.

Definately the best things the show has to offer at this point are its art style and mature themes. All wrapped around a little crazy.

Szadek

I'm starting to feel a bit lonley here.

Episode 7-8:
Looks like the whole buisness with the horse was just to get closer to wife of the banker and user her in his plans.
Shit is getting real at the mansion. I guess that means he gathered everyone he wants to get revenge on.

Cornbread78

I'm starting to feel a bit lonley here.

Episode 7-8:
Looks like the whole buisness with the horse was just to get closer to wife of the banker and user her in his plans.
Shit is getting real at the mansion. I guess that means he gathered everyone he wants to get revenge on.

Oh no, I'll catch up today!

Cornbread78

Damn, what is the count up to and what is the relationship between his girl and Albert's father? Something really messed up is going on with all of these ships...

alekth

Caught up on ep 3-9 today. It's been a long time since I last watched anime, and wow, everyone is so melodramatic. But it's pretty refreshing to watch mostly from Albert's POV.

I've forgotten most of how the story in the anime went (watched on release). So far it's in that in-between hell of close to the book but too deviating, but I remember actually liking the anime for being different enough, so that might still be coming.

Really fond of the style though, still have a few wallpapers of it on rotation.

Thud

Episode 6-8

Everything is going according to keikaku.

From buying the horses to inviting everyone at the villa. The count is pulling strings left and right.

That revenge must be all that's keeping him active.

Cornbread78

The count is trying to kill off all the husbands with power and destroy all of the families in Paris right in front of Albert. This is some crazy diabolical stuff!

Thud

Episode 9-11

The plot thickens!

Every family gets a piece of the count~

Bide your time and hold out hope.

NOPE, you're fucked Albert

Szadek

Ep. 9-11
The revenge plan of the count take his first victims. It's pretty clear by now that he just doesn't want to kill these 3 man, but he wants to destory everything they have as well.
So yeah, Albert, you are all kinds of fucked and you don't even know it.
I really liked how the visuals got more and more crazy and abstarct as the woman lost her sanity.
Another good moment was the car chase,evem though it was never short. It was obviously CG, but the show already looks so weird that it didn't matter in the slightest.

Also, since we never got to see what was in the in the box, my theroy is that it's an umbilical cord.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I hope it's okay if I just put my two cents in here.

I watched this anime when it came out, and then again a few years later. I think it was completely unique and beautiful in several different ways, but I just couldn't get into it. 😐

Cornbread78

Damn, killing off the innocent ones now as well? The count is destroying all the power families in Paris from behind the scenes in the shadows, so he can't be blamed...

Szadek

Episode 12
That blond guy is one creepy motherfucker. Looks like he only helped Albert in order to fuck with him.
The Count got arrested, but given how good he is at manipulating people, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thud

Episode 12-13

He did a serious number on Villerois and Morcerf. Eugenie's dad is next in feeling some loss.

Haidee couldn't tell Albert his dad did this to her. So is Andrea the greatest arsehole or what?

Library part was rad, pretty colors~

The amount of faith Albert puts into his lover boy is getting to dangerous levels. Now how will this end...

Cornbread78

Uh oh, the judge is never going to believe his wife tried to kill Valentine. This should be an interesting confrontation..

Cornbread78

Ok, I was wring, he found out his wife did tryto kill his daughter and decided to pit her into a loony bin for life, lol.

so that dead blond haired boy is going to yake Albert's place? Such crap. What is the Count planning this time by telling Albert to "bide his time & wait it out" Sonething isn't right about all of this..

Szadek

Episode 13-14
Episode 13 looked weird even by this shows standards, which is really saying something.
Villefort's plan to arrest the count backfired pretty hard.

Apperently, creepy blond guy and Haydée are part of the counts revenge party.
Albert's Father took some desperate measures in order to save his reputation and it seems to work well so far, but it looks like Haydée ain't having none of that shit.
Your move ,lady.

Cornbread78

Damn Albert is getting screwed here. Almost wish they took the chance to run away together and start a new life away from all the fucked up families and the crooked Count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom