• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the 7th Generation: Voting Ends June 17th

Okay let's finally get this out there.

1. Viva Pinata

In a generation where the leap to a much wider use of orchestration gave us many booming epics it's the more subdued take on things that stuck with me most. Kirkhope's Viva Pinata OST covers both the original and its sequel Trouble in Paradise(which is effectively a bit of an expansion pack, musically it adds a bulk of desert and arctic themes) which offers a wide selection of what I could call gardening goodness.
From the man himself...
"When I first started on Viva Piñata, I wasn't sure which direction to take it in. I really wanted to give the game a ”pastorale" quality that matched the visuals. I started to think about two of my favorite English composers, Edward Elgar and Ralph Vaughan Williams, a lot of their music had that quality, so I decided that was the direction to go in. I have to say that the video games music of the two Viva Piñata games is probably my favorite of my time at Rare, as I've already said I really poured my heart into these pieces."
And it shows, I'm of the thought that this OST is really quite underrated on the whole, some of the most soothing night time themes you'll hear from a game and the overall air of pleasantness is something of a breath of fresh air in itself.

I usually throw out Oven Fresh Day and Bedtime Story as the fearsome duo so I'll mix it up this time.
Soil Song for your day theme
Growing Under Moonlight for night time

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
The sneaky thing about going with Galaxy 2 over Galaxy 1 is that a number of the originals best tracks return either straight up or in remixed forms, as a bang for my buck vote I've leaned towards 2.
That said I have more to my reasons behind voting for the sequel, the amount of orchestartion is upped from the first game which lends a greater level of consistency to the proceedings, be it the various jingles no longer being jarringly lower quality (Grand Star Get is so much grander now!) and even souping up some of the more ho-hum tracks of the first game (Honeyhive gets a massive boost from the addition of extra instruments).
Of course the new tracks are fantastic as well and are among my favourites in the vast Mario series. Kondo delivers some great last hurrahs with what little he contributes being some of his best in years, meanwhile Yokota and Nagamatsu continue the musical legacy with applomb.

Kondo- Starship Mario
Yokota- Fluffy Bluff/Cloudy Court Galaxy (I like this more than Gusty Garden, come at me!)
Nagamatsu- Melty Monster Galaxy

While the SMG2 OST isn't quite a clean sweep with a few tracks being simply "there" I find its highs to really elevate the whole thing, when that endgame sequence has Galaxy Generator, the killer final bowser phase music that leads into one hell of a staff roll you're going out on top of the world...no, on top of the GALAXY!

3. Nier
It's been something of a journey for Nier in my musical musings, I always appreiated it but not to the same heights as most. I felt (and in a way still do think) that the emphasis on Emi Evans vocals leads to a level of sameyness across the board which can slightly hinder variety (you could say if she's not your jam then you ain't got much to ummm...spread on your toast here?) but on the other hand there's little else like it among gaming soundtracks. It's a very distinct style for sure that leads a lasting impression. It's actually almost criminal how some tracks don't get used nearly enough if I recall in game (Grandma!) while some others rear their heads a bit too much (Emil Sacrifice, pls stop being in EVERY emotional scene towards the end!).
This probably explains why I really took a while to click with the soundtrack and remind myself of some of the truly fantastic pieces which aren't quite as prevalent in a playthrough.

Temple of the Drifting Sands
The vocals here are hauntingly good, for my money the most mesmerizing on the OST.

Gods Bound by Rules

4. Sonic Generations
Yes I'm being a bit underhanded here, I have struggled to narrow down my one Sonic choice from this generation and boy is there a ton of great options. Colours holds my favourite track of the gens Sonic outings with the mesmerising Aquarium Park (linked for greatness). Unleashed's Planetary Pieces has tremendous scope, production and worldly variety (fun side story: I initially considered the OST "not Sonic enough", a reasoning that holds little logical weight and drew the ire of our previous musical thread host, safe to say she gave me a valuable lecture on why my thoughts were flawed here and look I really like it now!). Then there's also a load of crud like Sonic 4 and Professor Beef's beloved Sonic Chronicles disaster, but regardless the great outweighs this thus continuing to make my choice tricky.

So in the end I thought "which one do I go back to most?", and that would be the series celebration in Generations which gets the wonderful luxury of picking already strong tracks from the series entire history. So yes this is mostly a remix selection ala Smash Bros but hot damn, what a remix selection! You have straight updates and unique re-imaginings across the board. Another devilish twist here is the Generations OST also covers the 3DS entry which has even MORE music so basically this is an embarrassment of musical riches. The work here is so stellar a relative unknown in Crisis City can stand alongside the likes of Green Hill and Chemical Plant, the whole package feels cohesive with is impressive as heck when you consider how varied the series music has been across its many years.

Rooftop Run (Classic)
Modern leaves the more immediate impact but Classic should get its due here.

Seaside Hill (modern)
Many bonus points for seguing into Ocean Palace towards the end.

5. de Blob 2
The de Blob games hold a very interesting trump card for their musical stylings and I ain't just talking about its heavy leaning towards funky goodness. Integrated into the gameplay itself is an ever increasing musical escalation tied to the game's painting mechanics, the more colour you add back to the monochrome world the more the music ramps up. But even cooler than that is how each colour corresponds to an instrument, red for instance is a saxophone and each building you colour results in an immediate burst of sax, in turn this means that stringing a series of actions that literally paint the town red will cause something of an improvised saxophone string which is just the coolest. I'm sure there's actually a term for what the game is doing with its sound design, alas I can't for the life of me remember it.
Just when you think I can't possibly sneak another double OST in, the entire de Blob 1 soundtrack is in here as unlockables so hell yeah, this made going with 2 an easier choice. Though in general 2 has the stronger selection I find, basically I just wanted to throw a nod to the first game's Euphoric track which could be an entire vote by itself.

Back to the sequel...
Blob in Space is like RADICAL SCI-FI SURFING MUSIC!
The Colourist Agenda for some more straightforward disco

6. Xenoblade Chronicles
You could describe the Xenoblade OST as being standard JRPG fare just done really well, not the most glamorous depiction I know but it gets the point across.
Overworld themes, character themes, battle themes and all that jazz (no actual jazz mind you). I sound like I'm underselling it here quite heavily but IT'S GREAT! Yes I'm kinda at a struggle wrapping this one up in a neat summary so hopefully the music speaks for itself. A strong showing for music that compliments and enhances its environments, you don't forget stepping out onto the Gaur Plains or the night time transition of the Marsh thanks to the music accompanying the visual.

Frontier Village

On The Fallen Arm (Night)

7. Ace Attorney Investigations
This was a tough one to narrow down as those of us in the west were besieged by a whopping 6 DS entries into the Ace Attorney series in this generation, though only the last three took full advantage of the improved DS sound quality over the GBA you still can't ignore the original trilogy. The first game nails down a series music formula that continues to this day, the third brings Iwadare on board to become a franchise regular bringing strong tracks like The Dark Fragrance of Coffee into the fold.
When it comes down to it I barely lean towards Iwadare's work on both Investigation titles with the first oh so barely beating its sequel to this spot.

Pursuit: Lying Coldly
which was my favourite cornered theme until its sequel sniped the top spot.

Let me laugh at the cool (...hmmm, that's an interesting title translation)

8. Pokemon Black/White
Pokemon series is a reliable standby for soundtracks, with Black/White it felt just that bit more experimental than usual while still continuing their distinct soundfont style, complete with a few small variants due to seasonal variations. Its direct sequel carried on the trend and added more to the Gen 5 jukebox but I'll stand by the first round which finished its main game up with a boss theme that's contains a minute of heavy percussion buildup and an end credits theme that eschews series tradition by sounding like the hypest battle theme to not actually be a battle theme.
Also the rival battle theme is great, efff the haters!

Battle Team Plasma

Icirrus City

9. Skullgirls
In a generation that could be considered Castlevania's last hurrah assuming Konami continues its current trajectory I ended up preferring Michiru Yamane's vania esque but jazzier outing with Skullgirls. Jazzvania I will always dub it, though Yamane's not alone with other chaps on board who tend to bring more straight jazz stuff, in any case it's a great concoction of sound fitting for a fighter that carries it's own sense of Dark Deco style.

Unfinished Business, the stage theme for a character that's basically a bunch of brass instruments bolted together, fitting!

Skull Heart Arrhythmia

10. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
But regardless of what I just said, CV is still strong enough to make the cut and there was a great trio on the DS to draw from. Ecclesia wins out for some tremendous mood setting in its tracks, they may not be as immediately memorable as what turns up in Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin but they leave a more haunting memory that lingers, and also some baller boss themes.

Jaws of A Scorched Earth

Lament to the Master

Honourable mentions (of which there are many!)

X Mega Man 9
Straight back to the olden days here, except sound effects no longer cut into the tunes, wonderful! A satisfying throwback 8bit style soundtrack that does just a little bit more than an NES actually could
Hornet Dance

X Dustforce
It's a bit up and down across the board but the Fastfall album for Dustforce by Lifeformed offers a lot of chill tunes, [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXH5G_bqrlc"]Cider Time[/URL] is so good he used it again somewhere else I'm sure.

X Bastion
Darren Korb makes his impact with "acoustic frontier trip-hop", I shit you not!
Spike in a Rail

X Kirby's Epic Yarn
A surpringly high number of new tracks make up this soothing stress free outing along with some solid remixes for good measure, like pleasant piano? then this is the OST for you.
Weird Woods

X Blazblue Calamity Trigger
Well Blazblue and its numerous updates at any rate, though I never stuck around beyond the original I did enjoy its fantasy rock vibe, that said my favourite track was the electic Catus Carnival for oddball character Taokaka

X Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Anamanaguchi bring their video game inspired style to...a video game! how novel! It's also a real jam, don't sleep on it being a licensed title.
Suburban Tram

X The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Zelda finally gets (some) orchestration and the results are mostly worth it.
Fi's Theme

X Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
That's right, I went for one of those Oscar Araujo Lords of shadow soundtracks partly because they're kinda underrated because "blah blah, cinematic fluff", but also because it's in fact a strong example of Cinematic music that also fits the series it represents.
Dracula's Theme

X Professor Layton series
No one soundtrack really excelled in a way to make my main list but holy shit, those main themes were bringing the goodness, especially Devil's Flute/Last Specter/Spectre's Flute.

1. The Last of Us Original Score by Gustavo Santaolalla
The Last of Us
The Path

2. Journey Original Score by Austin Wintory
Apotheosis
Nascence

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Music Composed by Masakazu Sugimori & Naoto Tanaka
Investigation ~ Cornered
Announce the Truth 2001

4. Rayman Legends Music Composed by Christophe Héral & Billy Martin
Castle Rock
Mariachi Madness

5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Music Composed by Greg Edmonson
Museum Bust
Bazaar Brawl

6. Heavy Rain Original Score by Normand Corbeil
Ethan Mars' Main Theme
Bulldozer

7. Bioshock Infinite Music Composed by Garry Schyman
The Songbird
Baptism

8. Dear Esther Original Score by Jessica Curry
The Beginning
Ascension

9. Red Dead Redemption Studio album by Bill Elm and Woody Jackson
Triggernometry
Born Unto Trouble

10. LeChuck's Revenge: Monkey Island 2 Special Edition Music Composed by Michael Land, Peter McConnell & Clint Bajakian
Main theme
Phatt Mansion

Honorable Mentions

X. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Reunion
Among Thieves

X. inFamous 2
Cole MacGrath
The Beast

X. God of War III
Overture
Rage Of Sparta

X. Assassin's Creed II
Ezio's Family
Venice Rooftops

X. Portal 2
Reconstructing More Science
Science is Fun

X. Super Mario Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Rosalina's Comet Observatory 3

AniHawk

this one is really hard. i know what i'd like in my list, but the order keeps changing in my head. lots of good games with great music this gen. xenoblade chronicles and mirror's edge stick out though.

5. de Blob 2
The de Blob games hold a very interesting trump card for their musical stylings and I ain't just talking about its heavy leaning towards funky goodness. Integrated into the gameplay itself is an ever increasing musical escalation tied to the game's painting mechanics, the more colour you add back to the monochrome world the more the music ramps up. But even cooler than that is how each colour corresponds to an instrument, red for instance is a saxophone and each building you colour results in an immediate burst of sax, in turn this means that stringing a series of actions that literally paint the town red will cause something of an improvised saxophone string which is just the coolest. I'm sure there's actually a term for what the game is doing with its sound design, alas I can't for the life of me remember it.
Just when you think I can't possibly sneak another double OST in, the entire de Blob 1 soundtrack is in here as unlockables so hell yeah, this made going with 2 an easier choice. Though in general 2 has the stronger selection I find, basically I just wanted to throw a nod to the first game's Euphoric track which could be an entire vote by itself.

Back to the sequel...
Blob in Space is like RADICAL SCI-FI SURFING MUSIC!
The Colourist Agenda for some more straightforward disco
I didn't even know there was a Blob 2, but I love the implementation of how this series uses music. It also helps that the music is pleasant.

this one is really hard. i know what i'd like in my list, but the order keeps changing in my head. lots of good games with great music this gen. xenoblade chronicles and mirror's edge stick out though.

I totally get you. I spent an hour juggling my list around and even now I'm still not satisfied with my decisions, there are too many good soundtracks in Gen 7. I just decided to focus the ones I remember the most in my head.

killatopak

Wow this is hard.

I only remember 4 OSTs from gen 7. Not that they're not good. It's just hard to remember them outside of the game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Alright, this is a thread for me.
Not good with words, so I'm just gonna post my list

1. Half Life 2 (+episodes)
Vortal Combat
What kind of Hospital is this
You're not supposed to be here

2. Mirror's Edge
Still Alive
Kate
The Shard

3. Bastion
From Wharf to Wilds
Mine, Windbag, Mine
A Proper Story
Build that Wall

4. The Witcher
Dusk of a Northern Kingdom
River of Life
Tavern at the End of the World
Believe

5. Deus Ex Human Revolution
Icarus
Detroit City Ambient Part 1
Main Menu

6. Metal Gear Rising
Rules of Nature
A Stranger I Remain
The Stains of Time
It Has To Be This Way

7. Alan Wake
The Poet and the Muse
Children of the Elder God

8. Sword and Sworcery
Dark Flute
The Prettiest Weed
Lone Star

9. Super Meat Boy
Forrest Funk
Betus Blues
Can o' Salt
It Ends
Carmeaty Burana

10. Civilization V
Baba Yetu
I Vow to Thee, My Country

Honorable Mentions

Portal 2
Reconstructing Science
Science is Fun
Robots FTW

I probably forgot a whole bunch and gonna boost the Honorable Mentions but for now this will do

Nice call on Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. It's one of those games I would have gotten about had you not brought it up.
Wow this is hard.

I only remember 4 OSTs from gen 7. Not that they're not good. It's just hard to remember them outside of the game.
If you can put them in order of how much you appreciated them, you're more than welcome to post them.

Evilisk

My Top 10

01. Touhou Fuujinroku ~ Mountain of Faith
Composer: ZUN
Description:(Touhou Wiki)
Tracklist with ZUN's Commentary (Touhou Wiki))
Easily my pick of the generation, Mountain of Faith is just ZUN at his musical finest (with MOF's soundtrack easily tied with Perfect Cherry Blossom for me as no.1 soundtrack in the series). There are so many classics here like Native Faith, Candid Friend and Faith is for the Transient People. Musically, it's an amazing fit for the game's levels and bosses; the music in the game, with the levels and danmaku action all give a sense of the beauty of nature, while also capturing a great adventurous vibe; and all of the boss themes help to paint an interesting portrait of each character, with ZUN employing some cool touches like the Stage 5 Boss, Sanae, having rock in her theme (which is in-character for her, as Sanae is migrant from the modern world to the ancient fantasy setting). The only weakness I have for the soundtrack may be the final boss theme, which is pretty atmospheric and suited to the fight, but doesn't quite reach the highs of boss themes like Septette for the Dead Princess or Bloom Nobly. Other than that, I would highly, highly recommend listening to the soundtrack; it's not the source of potentially thousands of doujin remixes for no reason.
Akutagawa Ryuunosuke’s Kappa ~ Candid Friend
The Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain
Faith is for the Transient People
The Road of the Misfortune God
Tomorrow will be special, Yesterday was not
Native Faith
Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall
The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw

02. Yakuza 4
Composer: Various (See VGMDB Links Below)
VGMDB Tracklists Vol. 1, Vol. 2
While I like the individual tracks of Y5 better, Y4 is just the better overall soundtrack to me. There's a nice cohesiveness to the soundtrack, like with how the main theme, For Faith, is treated (and is remixed for each character's final bossfight) and how jazz is used to denote Tanimura's role in the story (there's his final boss mix; there's also the jazz which is fairly unique to Y4 and only appears in Tanimura's theme). The cohesiveness and intention of the soundtrack, combined with your regular Yakuza boss music goodness, is more than enough for me to put it as my number two pick.
Recieve and Bite You
Spicy Brass Squad
Nervousness
Infinite Handcuff
Whiskey and Rhapsody
Speed Star
All My Pride
Material Delights
Boxcelios
Geist Obscuration
For Faith (Main Theme)
Four Face (Akiyama)
Four Faith (Saejima)
For Face (Kiryu)
For Faith, Instrumental (Tanimura)

03. Folklore
Composers: Ayako Saso, Shinji Hosoe, Yuriko Mukoujima and Kenji Kawai
Folklore's soundtrack invokes a lot of nostalgia from me. It's been almost ten years since the game's release, and while a lot of soundtracks from that time don't seem to resonate with me quite as much anymore (like with my no.10 pick, LittleBigPlanet), there's something about Folklore's beautiful leitmotif that is still as haunting and charming as it was 10 years ago. I still love the combination of piano tracks with the Forgotten Village and Between Life and Death, with the heavy booming orchestral battle themes (particularly Fairy Waltz, which evokes the same feelings I have when listening to the game's main theme). Unfortunately, I admit not all tracks still resonate with me, but between the tracks that still do and the tracks that I associate with specific moments in the game, I can't bear to put this any lower (perhaps if JSS and JUS didn't have to be separated, it'd be an easy no.4, but only that). While I don't think I would enjoy the whole soundtrack these days (if I'd played it this year, it'd probably be an HM, just like White Knight Chronicles), the Folklore soundtrack holds a pretty special place in my heart.
VGMDB Link
Trial
To The Unknown
Fairy Waltz
Menace
The Forgotten Village
The Judge and the Judged
Where The Soul Goes

04. Jump Ultimate Stars
Composer: Unknown?
Home to some of my favorite battle themes this generation, Jump Ultimate Stars is so damn underrated that it's not even funny. JUS' soundtrack is nothing more than a collection of great catchy battle themes for an anime fighter, and boy is it damn good at doing that. All of the themes are uniquely made for each series, representing series as recognizable as Hokuto no Ken, Dragon Ball, One Piece and Naruto and all of them are about as amazing as they are fitting for their individual series. There's not a whole lot to say other than I have no idea who the composer is (whoever they are, they deserve major props) and that I'd have placed it higher were it not for the fact that a good chunk of the soundtrack was technically brought over from the first game (though it's used far better here, see that section for more information). Other than that, give it a listen! The soundtrack (and game) deserves so much more love than it gets.
Tournament Mountain
SHINGE TWENTY-ONE
The Greatest Earth
Sanctuary's Guidepost

Heaven's Strongest
Snow Blossom Chaos
Way of Man
Spirit of Hokage

05. Dynasty Warriors 8
Composer: Various (See VGMDB Link Below)
VGMDB Link
I normally like Dynasty Warriors soundtracks by default but I honestly think they did an amazing job with this. While it's a very simple addition, the addition of faction based themes/leitmotifs was a great idea. Not only do they end up salvaging several tracks from the rather lackluster Dynasty Warriors 7 soundtrack, they do an amazing job combining these themes into one amazing arrangement with Capricious Wind. The faction themes also aren't the only returning tracks (with the Welcome to China remix being among my favorite tracks in the entire series) and that combined with some extremely solid and surprisingly emotional original tracks like the Mountain and Solo, and you have a soundtrack that's surprisingly good for the series. I've always really liked the Dynasty Warriors series and it's musically, personally speaking, but I legitimately think the DW8 soundtrack is worth checking out, even without being a fan of the Musou genre or rock music.
Cyclonized Typhoon
The Mountain
Solo
Good Punch
Capricious Wind

Beyond the Destiny (Wei Theme)
Trio the Beryl (Shu Theme)
The Inherited Fang (Wei Theme)
Arena -DW7th MIX-
Welcome to China -DW7th MIX-
Thousand Suns -DW7th MIX-

06. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Composer: Toshihiko Horiyama, Hideki Okugawa, Shu Takami and Akemi Kimura
My favorite of the Ace Attorney soundtracks (also one of the only titles I actually finished in the series). Aside from the really great character/witness themes this time around (I tend to only like the courtroom tracks), the courtroom tracks have a very appealing (to me) style that just isn't matched or followed by the other Ace Attorney games, seen most strongly with the Cornered theme of this game.
VGMDB Link
Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornered
Troupe Gramarye
Cross Examination ~ Moderate 2007

Trance Logic
Cross Examination ~ Allegro 2007
Tell the Truth 2007
Thrill Theme ~ Suspense
Trucy's Theme ~ Child of Magic
Guilty Love
Investigation ~ Opening 2007
Kitaki Family
Investigation ~ Core 2007
Drew Studio

07. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Composer: Anamanaguchi
The Scott Pilgrim vs. the World game as a whole was just really unexpectedly good, and the music is no exception. While I am a bit bummed out how simplistic most of the soundtrack is (Another Winter is pretty great, but the rest are fairly short), it's still a pretty damn great catchy soundtrack.
VGMDB Link
Another Winter
Rock Club
Sub-Boss Theme
Just Like In The Movies

Shrine Bros.
TechnoMan
Maki Ya
Bollywood
Gideon Wrath Part I
Party Stronger

08. Jump Super Stars
Composer: Unknown?
Actually the other half of Jump Ultimate Stars' amazing soundtrack (since JUS brought all of the tracks from JSS back). The reason I have it so low after Jump Ultimate Stars is ultimately usage; JUS is so much better at using the tracks from JSS, since they composed all new music for most series, and then allowed single series to take each of the tracks from JSS. In JSS, however, most of the music is shared between different series, even if they didn't fit as well (for example, while the amazing Constant Wild Dance theme was perfectly fitting for the Gintama level, it was also used for Rurouni Kenshin, which from my knowledge of that series, seems hardly fitting). It's still a very solid selection of tracks but I just really think the sequel uses the music from this game much better, and that Jump Super Stars uses them in a less interesting way.
Beyond the Sky
Constant Wild Dance
Feel Good!

Title Screen
Sweat with Pain
Fight or Dancin'?
Take It

09. Yakuza 5
Composer: Various
Yakuza 5 has some pretty great single tracks. Unfortunately I can't say that I like the soundtrack as a whole. It doesn't fit together as well as I would like (unlike Y4's soundtrack) and while that makes sense (Y4 is 4 characters fitting into 1 puzzle/city, while Y5 is a 5 city, 5 character epic), I still think it's weaker because of a number of weird decisions with the music. Aside from the localization nixing several awesome tracks, the use of some tracks is pretty questionable (like Haruka's main story only having 3 tracks you'll quickly get sick of, while her optional stuff has way more variety, or how the awesome 5 minute Victory Road theme is stuck on battles that won't even last a minute). I still absolutely love the music in this game though.
VGMDB Links: Vol. 1, Vol. 2
Victory Road
Battle for the Dream
Comin' At Ya, My Girl

Affected Fight
Be The Star!!
Bloody Moon

10. LittleBigPlanet
As mentioned previously, LittleBigPlanet is a soundtrack I don't like quite as much as I used to. I was all over the soundtrack around 2008 and 2009 but revisiting the soundtrack now, it just doesn't interest me as much as the first time I went through the game. I think there are a number of reasons for this, and aside from nostalgia, I believe that having to play the role of creator, and choosing music for my own levels has colored my perception of the soundtrack in ways that wouldn't normally happen to me for a game soundtrack. With all that said, while I'm not interested in most of the soundtrack anymore, I still like a decent number of the tracks and have also found some new favorites on revisiting the soundtrack. At the very least, I still think that LBP has the best licensed soundtrack of the generation for me (and I played stuff like Saints Row 3 and Brutal Legend). So while this soundtrack isn't as interesting to me anymore, I still think it's a great collection of licensed tracks to listen to. I would also recommend the original, interactive tracks too (the ones I've picked out are my favorites in particular and I feel are particularly underrated).
LittleBigPlanet Wiki Page on LBP Music
Get It Together ~ The Go! Team
Cornman
Atlas ~ Battles
Song 2 ~ DJ Krusy
Dancing Drums ~ Ananda Shankar
Cries In The Wind
The Gardens
The Islands
The Wilderness

AniHawk

1. xenoblade chronicles ; i think in the end everything can be summed up with mechonis field, which felt ripped almost out of metroid prime. this was the moment i knew i was playing the best game in 2012. and the rest of the soundtrack is just so good in how it defines each area, fleshing out the scope of the adventure.

2. nyxquest: kindred spirits ; one of my favorite titles of the generation, and a lot of it is owed to its unique sound to set the atmosphere.
helios
icarus
icarian
hydra

3. super mario galaxy 2 ; you know how this is the best mario game?
wild glide galaxy
cosmic grove galaxy
the perfect run

4. sonic colors ; really the best 3d sonic and a huge surprise at the time. the music is a wonderful blend that is consistent with the confidence of the game.
sweet mountain act 1
planet wisp act 1
aquarium park act 1

5. mirror's edge ; my favorite game of the generation is the complete package for me. it's a wonderful platformer down to the ambient soundtrack that makes it feel like a modern classic.
the shard
new eden

6. valkyria chronicles ; desperate struggle

7. the legend of zelda: skyward sword ; the soundtrack in skyward sword is the most consistently good thing about the game. that doesn't bode well for the game itself, but it doesn't speak poorly of the music either. unfortunately what stands out to me is mostly from the cutscenes and cinematics.
ballad of the goddess
follow fi
gate of time
separation

8. sin & punishment: star successor ; even the menu music is fucking badass.
menu
abyss
undersea tunnel

9. sound shapes ; 'cities' remains the highlight from the game, especially in how it affects the level design. it's easily the best part from the game, and i would love a sequel that continued with this kind of game design.
cities
spiral staircase
disasteroids

10. half-life 2: episode two ; there was a part of the game where combine were surrounding the place and 'sector sweep' kicks in. it just fe;t good to suddenly have to fight my way out with this in the background.
sector sweep
vortal combat

Evilisk

Honorable Mentions Post

X. Touhou Hisoutensoku ~ Unthinkable Natural Law
Composer: U2 Akiyama, ZUN
Faith is for the Transient People
Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea
Tomorrow Will Be Special, Yesterday Was Not
The Grimoire of Alice
Our Hisoutensoku
I don't have a lot to say other than it's a pretty good collection of remixes based on some already pretty great tracks. I also like the style of music used here (normally the Touhou fighters tend to go for a traditional/orchestral vibe, something I'm not personally fond of).

X. Touhou Chireiden ~ Subterranean Animism
Composer: ZUN
The Bridge People No Longer Cross
Green-Eyed Jealousy
Walking the Streets of a Former Hell
Heartfelt Fancy
Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye
Lullaby of a Deserted Hell
Last Remote
I don't really like this soundtrack as a whole. It never comes together quite as well as Mountain of Faith, Perfect Cherry Blossom or other classic Touhou era soundtracks. That said, there are some amazing individual tracks and there's a strong sense of atmosphere you don't normally get with Touhou soundtracks.

X. White Knight Chronicles
Composer: Noriyasu Agematsu, Takeshi Inoue and Yumiko Hashizume
Vlasta Plain
Craydol Plain
Nordia Tunnel
Greid, Capital of Freedom
Bakkeiya
I absolutely love the Town themes for this game. It's just a shame that the battle themes aren't particularly interesting (and those take up most of the gameplay). I will also say that, as cheesy as Chronicle Love is, I think it's pretty clever for its musical callbacks/callforwards? to the sequel and portable prequel (I couldn't really think of a good way to mention this naturally, so I'm just shoehorning this at the end here :D)

X. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Main Theme
Final Destination
Bramble Blast
Meta Knight's Revenge
This is feeling like a recurring theme, but while I like some individual tracks, I don't really like the soundtrack as a whole. It might be nostalgia for Melee, but I liked Melee's focused soundtrack over Brawl's one, which has some pretty great remixes that don't really mesh well together. I also found that heavy metal remix of Gourmet Race to be pretty weird :/

X. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (+ Vanilla)
Composer: Hideyuki Fukusawa
Thor Theme
She Hulk Theme
Hawkeye Theme
Sentinel Theme
Dr. Doom Theme
Firebrand Theme
While both versions of MVC3 have some pretty terrific, original music, this got pulled away from my Top 10 due to how weak most of the remixes in the game are. I just can't vote for a soundtrack when there are just that many forgettable tracks (for me), unfortunately. I'd still recommend listening to the soundtrack, there are some stellar original pieces here (particularly with the Ultimate newcomers)

X. Plants vs. Zombies
Composer: Laura Shigihara
Main Menu Theme
Day Stage (Grasswalk)
Pool Stage (Watery Graves)
Mini Game Theme (Loonboon)
Roof Stage (Graze the Roof)
Boss Stage (Dr. Zomboss)
I'm not normally a fan of slow tracks (or soundtracks only filed with them) but I really like Plants vs. Zombies soundtrack. It's a nice, fitting soundtrack that has some great, slow melodies and it has some wonderful, faster pieces when it wants to as well.

X. Anarchy Reigns
Composers: Naoto Tanaka, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Akira Takizawa, DJ Babu
Ruthless
Gotta Get The Cash
They Came From Underground
It's All About Me
This is mostly because of Saltybets, but the songs I've heard from this soundtrack have been pretty amazing. Maybe I'll get around to listening to this fully one day.

X. Skullgirls
Composers: Michiru Yamane, Vincent Diamante, Blaine McGurty, Brenton Kossak
Dirge of the Divine Trinity
Paved With Good Intentions
In A Moment's Time
Similarly, I've never fully owned the title (only played it with other people) but the tracks from here that I've listened to are pretty great (I really have to remember to buy this game at some point).

X. Gyakuten Kenji 2 / Ace Attorney Investigations 2
Composer: Noriyuki Iwadare
Tateyuki Shigaraki ~ Joking Motive
Logic ~ Truth of the Crime Scene
Pursuit ~ Wanting To Find The Truth
Reminiscence ~ The Girl's Lost Memories
The only other Ace Attorney title with a soundtrack that personally appeals to me. Despite only every watching a Youtube playthrough of it (I don't own a DS anymore), I love all of the different character themes. Also the Pursuit theme is just amazing.

X. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Composer: Masakazu Sugimori
Detective Jowd ~ A Captive of Fate
Cabanela ~ A White Lovely Lanky Man
Lynne ~ A Targeted Redhead
Missile ~ A Courageous Little Animal
Epilogue ~ End of the Night
While I don't love this as much as GK2 or AJ: AA, I'm still very fond of the soundtrack for its character themes. I also remember it feeling like it was similar to Apollo Justice's soundtrack? Maybe? (It's been ages)

kosmologi

iu8vpF2.jpg

1. Halo 3 ODST
Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori
While ODSTs gameplay was only a slight departure from the Halo formula, the soundtrack is completely different. It's weird how well jazz-inspired music works in a game where your job is to shoot aliens in the face.
The soundtrack can be divided into two themes: Mombasa streets tracks and action tracks. The Mombasa streets tracks are heavy on saxophone, piano, and muffled percussions and strings. The action tracks have the traditional Halo drums, but also experiment with brass and guitar. Overall a masterpiece of a soundtrack which also works well in album listening.
Traffic Jam
Deference for Darkness
Bits and Pieces
Asphalt and Absolution
More Than His Share

0iSsQDZ.jpg

2. Mass Effect
Jack Wall, Sam Hulick
The definitive Science Fiction soundtrack. A perfect blend of retro synths and epic orchestral pieces.
As with the other ME games, some of the better tracks are missing from the soundtrack.
The Presidium
Noveria
Ilos Battle (not included in the official soundtrack)
Uncharted Worlds

a4cFKan.jpg

3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Jeremy Soule
One of the best fantasy soundtracks ever made, in any medium. I would almost put this up there with Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings scores.
Masser
Steel on Steel
Imperial Throne
Far Horizons

QehphmO.png

4. Halo 3
Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori
Halo 3's soundtrack is "just" the culmination of the iconic Halo sound familiar from Halo 1 and 2. It didn't introduce much to the old formula, but every sound was bigger and more refined, the tracks longer, and the music more integral to the whole soundscape, while some melodies did lose some of their freshness due to larger orchestral versions. In the end then it doesn't feel like a generational leap, but a refined end point. Roll Call, which plays during the end credits, marked the end of that era...
Roll Call
Released
Follow Our Brothers
Behold a Pale Horse
Halo Reborn

XDZwxLm.jpg

5. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Can't believe I almost forgot to list this. Now that I'm listening it, so many memories come back from this great game. MGS4 was actually the first full game I played on PS3, and one of the best.
Old Snake
Love Theme

6. Assassin's Creed II
Jesper Kyd
Absolutely amazing soundtrack from the great Jesper Kyd.
Flight Over Venice 1
Earth
Home in Florence
Darkness Falls in Florence

7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Michael McCann
One of the best atmospheric and ambient soundtracks of the 2000s. The action music is weaker, but by avoiding action you avoid the action music. :)
Icarus (main theme)
Main Menu
Detroit Ambient

8. Halo Wars
Stephen Rippy
Ensemble Studios' swansong. A good RTS soundtrack but also a very good Halo soundtrack.
Work Burns and Runaway Grunts
Flip and Sizzle
Insignificantia

9. The Last of Us
Gustavo Santaolalla
I've been a big fan of Gustavo Santaolalla since I heard his music in The Motorcycle Diaries in 2004, so I was very excited when I found out he'd be composing for Naughty Dog. He has the ability to transform simple instruments into a profound soundtrack that fits this game perfectly.
The Last of Us

10. Journey
Austin Wintory
Nascence
Apotheosis
Full soundtrack with text commentary from the composer

Honourable Mentions:

x. Mass Effect 2 DLC
Combat (Lair of the Shadow Broker)
Combat (Overlord)
Infiltration (Kasumi's Stolen Memory)
x. Killzone 2
Helgan Forever
x. Killzone 3
And Ever We Fight On
x. Unreal Tournament III
Mekalopolis
x. Half-Life Episode 2
Dark Interval
x. Red Dead Redemption
Far Away
x. Uncharted 2
Road to Shambala (credits)
x. Halo: Reach
Overture
x. NeoTokyo
Scrap I/O
x. Crysis 2
SOS New York
Prophet's Journey
x. Mass Effect 3
Creation
x. Super Stardust HD
Lave Theme
x. Battlefield 3
Solomon's Theme

Loving some of the deep cuts being listed. Several games I've never heard of have pretty impressive soundtracks. I started tallying the votes, and the votes are more spread than I thought they would be.
Which Ys games are eligible? Seven, Oath, Origin...?
The ones you listed are all eligible.

Grexeno

I think this thread might be due for a (long) deadline extension, especially since the current one falls right in the middle of E3.

1. NieR
Grandma, The Wretched Automatons, Kaine ~ Salvation
2. Armored Core V
Lament Over the Howling Age, Vulture, In a Day
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Rules of Nature, I'm My Own Master Now, It Has To Be This Way
4. Armored Core Verdict Day
Dirty Worker, Forgive an Angel, The Perfect Rose
5. Max Payne 3
Panama, Tears, Kill
6. Dark Souls
Character creation song, Nameless Song
7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Home, Icarus, Sarif Industries
8. Red Dead Redemption
Dead End Alley, Deadman's Gun
9. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Area E, Battle 2, Boss Battle
10. Alan Wake
The Poet and the Muse

Damn, I totally forgot about this. Have the votes been tallied, or is it too late now? Kind of feel like it was a bad time to run it while most people are preoccupied with talking about E3. It's a shame so few people voted.

EDIT - never mind; I misread the title as June 7th! Will get cracking on my list.

You still have a few days, no biggie. I'm not too picky with the deadline anyway. If some people need an extension, I won't mind delaying the thing for a bit. The original deadline was set to correspond with the Game of the Gen thread, but there's room for flexibility.

kosmologi

I had to edit my list (a couple messages upwards), because I somehow managed to forget MGS4 and UT3. Also added a couple Killzone games to honourable mentions.

Another simply faaaaaaaaaaantaaaaaaaaaaaaastic generation for soundtracks here. You get wily veterans at the heights of their power, plus a resurgant love for melodic console composition from the small team independant crowd.

1. Etrian Odyssey III ~ Yuzo Koshiro

This is it. An absolute MONSTER of composition. Track after track after track written with not a note out of place. Perfectly relentless tempos, sublime tone, intricate polyrhythms, unyielding creativity; this soundtrack has it all.

Funny thing having a PC-88-sourced work winning a nod for best work in this new millennium, but this is not any old throwback. Koshiro's skill at working with such restriction, already one of his strengths, is at its absolute peak here. He customized the old Yamaha chip with extra drum samples for crushing percussion perfection in every song.

Every single one of the battle tracks sounds like the end of the goddamn world. The First Campaign is AMAZING. So many melodies. So many perfect transitions. All for random battles. Then you have Those That Slay and Fall after THAT. Then you have the actual boss fight themes! Hoist the Sword With Pride in Your Heart (screaming death!), Their Own Brand of Justice (dear sweet GOD that keyboard solo!), Is That Blood Thine Or The Enemy's? (FOE! FOE! FOE!), Calling That Detestable Name (CRUSHING Metal POWER), The End of the Raging Waves (ALL EPIC ALL THE TIME)...it just don't get better than this.

Dungeon themes are an absolute delight, moving from the playful safe and easy-going (for Etrian standards) Waterfall Woodlands, to the harsh droning echoes of Cavern of Splendor, to the IMMACULATELY written Blue Sea Temple of Ritual with its bridge <--> payoff structure where all melodies entwine themselves around an endless 7/4 drumbeat of power, to the joyous call-and-response-to-crescendo of Chalky Woods, to the disquieting nightmare Prog of Vengeful God of the Ocean Abyss; this is a murderer's row for the ages.

Love the clean, X68000-esque tone of city tunes like Sunlight on the Water and Ancient Capital Enveloped By the Great Tree. So pure, so deep.

This is Yuzo Koshiro's masterpiece. Even better than the Ys, Sorcerians, SoRs, Actraisers, Wangans, whatever. He really, truly ascended on this one to a gear it was inconcievable even HE had.

2. Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter ~ soundteam_JDK Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita

I have this soundtrack to thank for getting me to try Falcom, with the 3 monster tracks of Fateful Confrontation, Silver Will (Super Arrange), and the monumentous Merciless Savior blowing the doors of my mind off with their beautiful epic power. The best part of waiting on the rest of the soundtrack till I could play in situ, additionally, is just how excellent the the rest has shown itself to be.

The happiness from Welcome to Le Locle, ominous SNES-era Final Fantasy with Visions, sophisticated jazz with Infiltration...SC hits on all cylinders consistantly and without fail.

The triumphant trio of battle themes that lured me here was joined by the twin-guitar attack of Fight with Assailant, the raucous trumpet of Obstructive Existence, the intimidating Enormous Fight, and the prog aggression of Gravestone Struck By Lightning giving the soundtrack the variety and sheer quality to put it into the upper echelons of battle music history.

There's such a strong theme of compositional strength and passion thruout this soundtrack. If I may gush a bit more, it's highlighted in the multiple sequential bridges and breakdowns used by JDK to unerringly land transition after transition in the soundtrack's crown jewel Merciless Savior. It is exuberance, it is sophistication, it is overwhelmingly beautiful. It is video gaming's Jessica. I can think of no higher praise to laud upon a track.

I also adored what they did with The Dream Continues, plot spoilers:
the first time you hear it it comes of as treacly and forced from the dream in question being a lie, but the second time it's of one character finding out their dream wasn't one, making the track genuine and beautiful. Good good GOOD stuff.
Plus I'm a sucker for waltz time. :p

3. Trails in the Sky: The 3rd ~ soundteam_JDK Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita

After going yard with SC not one year before, JDK went right back up to the batters box and launched another into the cheap seats with The 3rd. Touching melodies, jaunty jazzy level tracks, epic Metal battle themes, and haunting ethereal mood pieces, 3rd has everything you expect from your Falcom experience and more.

Battle themes! Fighting Right On is a gnarly, dual guitar attack-wielding riffage monster, Till the Night of Glory is a RELENTLESS dual guitar attack itself, A Dreamy and Boisterous Holy Land this exuberant celebratory revelation, Masquerade of Lies this (in the words of a friend) "a Castlevania track is pretty damn rockin'", and the oh so accurately titled Overdosing Heavenly Bliss (riffing pianos!)

Beyond those sweet battle themes, you get an amazingly strong variety of zone tracks like the raucous Beard the Lion in His Den (sic), the perky Prog of Illusionary Blue Flowers and Jade Corridor, the homey and bustling Hermit's Garden, the "things aren't right here...are they?" of Parallel Universe, and the "no, things DEFINATELY aren't right" of the sigh-filled Laybrinth of Shadows and Light.

Cradle Where Feelings Rest is another great "gutpunch" track ala The Dream Continues above, trading out narrative heft for one arresting descending melody hitting the bullseye.

4. Ys Origin ~ ~ soundteam_JDK Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita

Three-peat!

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy this is a monster. I really wish both that this had come out overseas and I had played this from my Steam Sale backlog as this is a freaking beast of a soundtrack with GOATs all over.

Prelude to the Omen: Soaring awesomeness!

Silent Desert: Ain't nothing silent bout this desert!

Samsara and Paramnesia: \m/ >_<

Dreaming: An unused Koshiro track from 1...the tension and release is exemplary.

Oboro: Toe-tapping good times!

Beyond the Beginning: Epicness IN YOUR FACE!

Scarlet Tempest: Heroic action goes in, epic rocking comes out.

Scars of the Divine Wing: FIGHT!

Water Prison: The crown jewel of this soundtrack...this should not work. Why is it so calming when you're ax-murdering your way thru demons at risk of drowning? Why is the syncopated 5/4 6/4 polyrhythm not making this an energizing up-tempo track? Why is it so goddamn beautiful?

5. Trails of Cold Steel 1 Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama

Dynasty! :p

JDK always, ALWAYS delivers, and the latest on these shores to show this neverending truth is Cold Steel 1.

You know how good this soundtrack is? The beloved Don't Be Defeated By a Friend is I feel the least awesome battle track! In an album with The Glint of Cold Steel, Even if Driven to the Wall, Machinery Attack, Tie a Link of ARCUS!, (the unreally hype-inducing as all hell) Atrocious Raid, and Belief that comes as no surprise!

But beyond the usually outstanding barrage of awesome battle themes, this is a very sophisticated album. The setting of the game mirrors previous dorm-setting games Final Fantasy 8 and Persona 3, topping on that front even the continental and eclectic Trails in the Sky: First Chapter with themes such as Heimdallr, Land of Blue Skies, Refreshing Morning, Skies of a Strange Land, and Afterschool Hours eruditely and cleverly accompanying jaunts both near and afar for our heroes with melodic greatness. There's even a bit of techno with (what I like to think is Angelica's leitmotif) Silent Exhaltation and Paper-Thin Offense and Defense to show us that there's more to the militaristic Erebonian Empire than the dour drums of war.

6. Etrian Odyssey II ~ Yuzo Koshiro

Another of Koshiro's superb mastery of chiptunes, EO II is a massive and purposeful jaunt thru an indiffernt labyrinth with the kind of musical perfection you expect from this series.

The bitter beauty of Guardians of Sorrowful Ice, the "you done got in it now bud" of Shiver, and the relentless 6/4 deathmarch of Scarlet Rain let you know good combat is here.

While away time in town to the sophisticated The Wind Doesn't Draw Heroes, draw upon the martial strength of Those Who Carve Their Names in Legends before trekking back into the wilderness of The Ever-Scarlet Forest's baroque stillness, Cherry Tree Bridge's jubilant color, Heaven's Rock Seat's waltzy wonderment, and the unnerving beauty of Forbidden Forest.

7. Trails of Cold Steel 2 ~ ~ Falcom soundteam_JDK (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga)

CS2 has this wonderful anxietic mournfulness to alot it, mirroring the turmoil of the game. It's largely brought about by this cautious sporadic piano work, which is in tracks from genres all over; it's really a neat execution that ties the soundtrack together.

This is really strong in the field themes, with Wintry Arrival, Ymir Valley Road, and Trudge Along benefitting from it a ton. The mysteriousness of the dungeons is surprisingly lively in such tracks like Spirit Cavern and Reverie Corridor having this swelling, almost joyousness to them which is neat, and Awakening Will is one of the better airship themes I've heard in a long time (I like how the bassy synth sounds like chopper blades going "wummwummwummwumm" in it!)

Battle themes? The JDK special? GLORIOUS. Heated Mind is energetic to the point of frenzy, (and would be better opening track for the game), Awakening has this IMMENSE production bring a resounding CRASH right off the bat before going into a delicately-melodied Eurobeat wonder, Transcend Beat is an exciting delight that cannot disappoint, and the crown jewel of the OST and the best battle theme in 6 years: Bring up MOTHERF***ING Trust! You got your metal, but they replaced the dual electric guitar with dual electric violins so you get face-crushing awesome with heart-rending beauty. How? Just...how?

There's even a TRUE leitmotif in this (not a battle theme or a euphamism but in name)...but it's for Altina. I wonder why. Seriously. Oh well, it's really good.

8. Dungeons of Dredmor ~ Matthew "Zath" Steele

Jazz. And not just any jazz, but Dangerous Jazz, the most dangerous of ALL jazz!

Zath here is experimental, wild, and yet nails so many odd time signatures, subgenres, and tempos that you just can't help but love it.

Steal everything not nailed down to Brawl, whirl to the countermelody tornado of Dervish, trek the eponymous halls of the game to Icebattle, give your headphones a workout to Pits, get coooooool to the pensieve Spelunk, roust about to the jaunty Swamp, and note the delicate foreshadowing of Veil.

It's a damn crime this guy's name ain't up there with Danny B, Austin Wintory, and Jake Kaufmann. He needs a better agent or something.

WtJqYZb.jpg

9. Radiant Historia ~ Yoko Shimomura

A bright jewel in a crown of a career, RH is epic, playful, and at times sad but always strong.

Epic 6/4! Now color-coded for your convenience!

Edge of Green

Red Locus

Blue Radiance

An Earnest Desire of Gray

Wonderful town themes in this one, from the earthy resilience of Wildness and Toughness,
to the whimsy of Garden Where Celestite Lies, to the airy drudgery of Mechanical Kingdom.

10. Valkyria Chronicles 1 ~ Hitoshi Sakamoto

Once again into the breech goes Sakamoto's famed Drums of War.

One, after another, after another, his mastery of militaristic music hits bullseye withBattle, Defensive Fight, Desperate Fight, Hard Fight, Street Fighting and the unnerving and ominous Difficult Fight.

But that's not all, of course! His skill at whimsy and delicate melody abounds with Title Main Theme, Strategy Instructions, and We Are The Barracks complimenting all that marching and fighting.

Next, loads of HMs!

Honorable Mentions post

This is in *sorta* order from 11th on down.

X. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey ~ Shoji Meguro

Bombastic, primal, and always about yaaaaaaaaaaay close to being completely unhinged, this is a very different Meguro joint with very few breaks in the sturmundrang clouds.

Tyrannical Hero

An Honor Benefitting That Name

Vehement Rage

Eternal Throne

Holy Miracle

A Frivolous Nation

A Land Controlling Seeds (MAD CHANTING)

A Land Controlling Roads

X. Pokemon Black & White ~ Shota Kageyama, Go Ichinose, Hitomi Sato, Junichi Masuda, Minako Adachi

A different take than previous mainline pokegames, with a more joyous, mellow take on tempo.

Route 10

Castelia City (the looping here is fantastic; mandatory for town themes)

Driftveil City (aggresively and pleasently odd)

Rare Wild Battle

Emotion

X. Tales of Xillia 1 ~ Motoi Sakuraba

Sakuraba grew a spine and got his old groove back. Wonderful!

The World Sinking Into Darkness

Losing the Battle

Sanctum of the Spirits

Rich in Nature

Clenched Fists

X. Etrian Odyssey I ~ Yuzo Koshiro

Fuckin' Etrian man you can't go wrong!

Destruction Begats Decay (that melody)

Dyed in Blood

The Thousand Year Blue Woodlands

Withered Forest

X. 7th Dragon ~ Yuzo Koshiro

Still a damn crime we ain't got this one over here officially. Koshiro was in his Etrian BEAST MODE here too like Muh Gawd.

Jungle Navigation

Land of Dragons and Flowers

Howl, Veteran Soldiers! (dangerous ass time signature changes!)

Swords Bursting

X. Blazeblue ~ Daisuke Ishiwatari

The Dice K mixed in a bit of jazz and Chinese DNA into this one, so it's not his usual 24/7 face-melter as usual but still damn great.

Rebellion

MOTORHEAD

Gale

Marionette Purple (two great tastes that taste great together!)

Bullet Dance

X. Minecraft ~ Daniel Rosenfeld

As delicate as the frost on a winter's window, as powerful as the bitter chill that put it there.

Sweden

Dry Hands

Living Mice

X. Eschatos ~ Yousuke Yasui

Roll on, Roland.

Point of No Return

Silver Lining

X. Lord of Vermillion ~ Nobuo Uematsu

Uematsu is like the Final Fantasy he scored for so long, people forget the range that he entails.

Lord of Vermillion

Ruined Kingdom Guura

Renaaru Forest

X. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers ~ Hidenori Iwasaki, Ryo Yamazaki, Kumi Tanioka

All the instruments!

Ruins

Alfitaria Capitol

Lett Highlands

1. Divinity II Ego Draconis
Kirill Pokrovsky

02-cover-divinity2.jpg

The great Kirill Pokrovsky, RIP. One of the all time masters. A great soundtrack isn't just great music to accompany a great game, it is an integral part of what makes the game memorable and personal. Broken Valley Wakes is a perfect example.

2. Skyrim
Jeremy Soule

A timeless soundtrack that will continue to define fantasy epic RPGs for decades alongside Morrowind and Oblivion.

3. Mass Effect
Jack Wall and Sam Hulick, Richard Jacques and David Kates

The music defined a new palette for sci fi as much as the visuals.

jett

D-Member
Just bumped into this thread, barely in time it seems. Hard to make my picks.

1. Super Mario Galaxy

2. Double Dragon Neon

3. The Last of Us

4. Journey

5. NieR

6. VVVVVV

7. Ni No Kuni

8. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

9. Shatter

10. Flower

Ventara

I should not have procrastinated. I'd like to comment on each one, but I'm just gonna list the games with a few tracks each.

1. Nier
Song of the Ancients - Hollow Dreams
Kaine's Salvation

2. Ys 7
Crossing Rage!
Falcon Strike

3. Cladun: This is an RPG!
You're a Treasure
Slicing the Wind

4. Shatter
Argon Refinery
Amethyst Caverns

5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Pursuit ~ Cornered
Objection! 2001

6. Xenoblade Chronicles
Gaur Plains
Mechonis Field

7. Cladun x2
Elegeant Gypsy
Black Metallic Dragon

8. Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Maria
Yesterday's Opponents are Today's Ingredients

9. Ys: Oath in Felghana
Valestein Castle
A Searing Struggle

10. Velocity
Protect
Rescue

Oh god, I know I'm forgetting something, but there's no time.

Edit: Mana Khemia might not count, I guess. Swapping in another Atelier.

Honourable Mention

X. Mana Khemia: Student Alliance
Nefertiti
Stigmata

Evilisk

Okay, I've finished updating my post

I had way too many soundtracks to mention for HM's, so I'm actually a bit glad for the PC cutoff. The only thing I really regret not having anywhere is Brutal Legend (I like the tracks but it's been way too long, and there just isn't enough time to replay the game again).

Azuardo

Okay, I've finished updating my post

I had way too many soundtracks to mention for HM's, so I'm actually a bit glad for the PC cutoff. The only thing I really regret not having anywhere is Brutal Legend (I like the tracks but it's been way too long, and there just isn't enough time to replay the game again).

Hotline Miami? It is a PS3 game too tho, so the PC 2011 cut-off shouldn't apply to it. I still need to get my list up, but HM will defo be on mine.

Eolz

1. Nier
A unique soundtrack for a unique game. With this, the composers solidified themselves as some of the best in the business.
The Dark Colossus Destroys All - Kaine Salvation - Shadowlord
VGMDB link

2. Neotokyo
Exceptional. This mod didn't deserve that much, but the artist deserved way better as well. Underrated, and a bit too unknown. Will never leave your mind.
Nimbus - Imbrium - Rebuild
VGMDB link

3. Red Dead Redemption
Fits really well the setting and the narration, but also add more than that. Just by listening to it, you can imagine a lot. Could fit a movie just as well.
The Shootist - Luz y Sombra - Compass
VGMDB link

4. Super Mario Galaxy
The great return of Mario in 3D at the time, and boy what an adventure this is. Full of memorable themes and epic tracks, this is a really special one. Still feels nostalgic.
Gusty Garden Galaxy - Purple Coins - Final Bowser Battle
VGMDB link

5. Shatter
This game sadly never got a sequel, and the artist also never really made an album quite like this one again either...
The Amethyst Caverns - The Argon Refinery - Homelands (credits)
VGMDB link

6. VVVVVV
Called PPPPPP, this chiptune album is fantastic from start to finish. Titles are explanatory enough, but helps make this game a great adventure.
Pushing Onwards - Passion for Exploring - Potential for Anything
VGMDB link

7. Drakengard 3
Chaotic soundtrack like other Drakengard games, it has also the flair of the Nier soundtrack. Pretty unique, and that's often what makes it so underrated.
The Final Song - This Silence Is Mine - Exhausted
VGMDB link

8. Max Payne 3
Health surprisingly made this great soundtrack, often putting variations on a single theme. You can really feel sadness with Max, with some melancholic tones fitting well the setting and the narration.
Max Panama - Pain - Shells
VDMDB link

9. Half Life 2 Episode 2
Basically Half-Life 2's soundtrack, shorter and more intense. Goes from really weird atmospheric tracks to some powerful action packed ones. Full of memorable themes.
Eon Trap - Sector Sweep - Vortal Combat
VGMDB link

10. Iji
Great OST for a great indie game. Lots of guitars, and some really good pacing.
Kinda Green - Tor - Hero
VGMDB link

Honorable mentions (10 others, no order):

x. Anarchy Reigns
Natural evolution of the Mad World OST, it fits just as well.
x. Skullgirls
Jazzy soundtrack that fits perfectly this beautiful 2d fighting game.
x. Minecraft
Mostly calm soundtrack, it's perfect when you stop to look at something and hear this playing.
x. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
Nobody expected this game, even less with this glorious soundtrack!
x. Skyrim
It's somehow a bit too classical, but does wonders for the atmosphere.
x. Sword and Sworcery
Really powerful soundtrack that makes this indie game way more than it looks like.
x. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Classic and beautiful, misses some memorable themes to be in the top 10.
x. Battlefield 3
Electronic soundtrack really fitting this setting more than some kind of orchestral one.
x. Xenoblade Chronicles
Really fantastic JRPG soundtrack, with all kind of instruments.
x. Deus Ex Human Revolution
Movie-like soundtrack staying in the spirit of Deus Ex. What's not to like?

Editing some descriptions right now, as well as more tracks, posting that list first to be sure that it's there :p
Sorry for waiting that long before posting.

Wichu

This is far too difficult. I can barely cut enough great soundtracks to make a top 10 I'm happy with, let alone order those 10 - I think beyond my top 3, the ordering is somewhat arbitrary. But anyway, let's try this!

m66rcnV.png

1. Xenoblade Chronicles (Yoko Shimomura, ACE+, Manami Kiyota, Yasunori Mitsuda)
A 91-track epic that perfectly complements this massive adventure. It has plenty of variety, yet still feels cohesive. I don't think I ever got bored of this soundtrack, even when I spent hours exploring a single area.
Going to separate samples by composer. Sorry about the link spam, this soundtrack is just too good!
Yoko Shimomura
Main Theme
Colony 9
ACE+
Engage the Enemy
Gaur Plain
You Will Know Our Names
Mechonis Field
Manami Kiyota
Zanza the Divine
Satorl Marsh (Night)
The Fallen Land
Yasunori Mitsuda
Beyond the Sky (Ending Theme)
I'm so happy to see ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu (he and ACE were credited together as ACE+ for XC1), Manami Kiyota, and Yasunori Mitsuda back on Xenoblade Chronicles 2, though I'll miss Shimomura :(

rgTwiVD.jpg

2. Nier (Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura)
Not quite as expansive as Xenoblade, but the highs of Nier's soundtrack are really high, and all the songs are pleasant to listen to. The highlight of the soundtrack is the impressive number of vocal songs, sung in invented languages inspired by real ones.
Grandma
Temple of the Drifting Sands
Kainé / Salvation
Song of the Ancients / Fate
Ashes of Dreams / New

MsXPAlk.jpg

3. The World Ends With You (Takeharu Ishimoto)
Oh boy. This eclectic modern soundtrack was not something I expected to hear from a JRPG, let alone on on the Nintendo DS. Unfortunately, the in-game music in the DS version is significantly cut down and compressed from the full songs, but I believe the iOS version has everything at full quality. Incidentally, the international release added more songs, which were released along with some remixes in a separate album - I'm counting those songs (such as the last two samples here) as part of the OST.
Twister
Calling
SHIBUYA
Déjà vu
Three Minutes Clapping

qFp6JKK.png

4. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Kazuki Yanagawa, Hayato Asano, Daisuke Achiwa, Sen)
Until fairly recently, this game hadn't been on my radar at all. I impulse-bought it earlier this year, and the soundtrack really won me over. It has calm, peaceful overworld and town music, lively battle themes, and boss themes that get your blood pumping. I've been playing the Shallistera side of the story, so most of the samples will be from that, but what I've heard of the Shallotte side sounds just as good.
Rusty Sky
Alchemist on a Ship
Sea of Sand -Shallistera-
Stella -Part 1-
Aquarius

jLdNtxu.jpg

5. VVVVVV (Magnus "SoulEye" Pålsson)
A short but sweet chiptune masterpiece. Each song is filled with layers and layers of melodies and plenty of energy, making the game's punishing level design very enjoyable as you rock out to these sweet tunes.
Passion for Exploring
Positive Force
Predestined Fate
Potential for Anything
Pressure Cooker

FC0Cre0.jpg

6. Super Mario Galaxy (Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo)
The first orchestrated Mario soundtrack, and it does not disappoint. Gusty Garden is an all-time classic, and the rest of the soundtrack is also (pardon the pun) stellar. This is a soundtrack made of pure joy.
Good Egg Galaxy
Buoy Base Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy
King Bowser
Melty Molten Galaxy

q4hjyc7.jpg

7. Radiant Historia (Yoko Shimomura)
Yoko Shimomura is one of my favourite video game composers, and IMO Radiant Historia is one of her best works. Sometimes it's a little by-the-numbers, but it's hard to complain when it sounds so great. The battle themes are all top-tier!
Mechanical Kingdom
Blue Radiance
Where the Wind and Feathers Return
An Earnest Desire of Grey
-HISTORIA-

eg96orJ.png

8. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Arata Iiyoshi, Hideki Sakamoto, Keisuke Ito, Kenichi Saito, Yoshihiro Maeda)
OK, I admit, the absolutely kickass final dungeon and boss themes are the main reason this is here. If I could, I'd just list all the variations on the Time Gear theme because it's real good. But there's more than just that - there's a good mix of jolly, triumphant, mysterious, and sad songs here. This is a soundtrack that tells a story.
Wigglytuff's Guild
Amp Plains
Temporal Tower
Dialga's Fight to the Finish!
Don't Ever Forget...

PktzhPD.png

9. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Go Ichinose, Junichi Masuda, Morikazu Aoki, Shota Kageyama, Hitomi Sato, Satoshi Nohara)
Yeah, this is a remake. Most of the soundtrack consists of rearranged versions of songs from the original Pokémon Gold/Silver (along with Crystal, and even some of the later games). However, the rearrangements have their own distinct style separating them from the originals - the route themes are more grand, the town themes feel more distinct, and the battle themes feel far more frantic. The new compositions are also stellar, and really show off the jump in sound technology between the Game Boy and the DS.
National Park
Ecruteak City
Route 47
Battle! Ho-Oh
Battle! Gym Leader (Kanto)

9LvQbgo.jpg

10. Steins;Gate (Takeshi Abo)
Not really sure whether this is 7th or 8th gen - it was first released in Japan in 2009 on the XBox 360, but its first English release was 2014 on PC, followed by PS3/Vita in 2015, so a case could be made either way. Let me know if this isn't allowed, and I'll replace it with one of my honourable mentions. Anyway, this is Takeshi Abo living up to his fame as a legendary visual novel composer. The main theme is seriously good, and its leitmotif makes its way throughout a bunch of other songs in the soundtrack.
Skyclad Observer
GATE OF STEINER -Main theme-
Cycle
Believe me
OPERATION SKULD

x. Ghost Trick (Masakazu Sugimori)
Main Theme
Jowd - A Captive of Fate
Trauma

x. Pokémon Black 2/White 2 (Junichi Masuda, Go Ichinose, Morikazu Aoki, Hitomi Sato, Satoshi Nohara, Shota Kageyama, Minako Adachi, Teruo Taniguchi)
Aspertia City
Battle! Colress
Battle! PWT Finals!

x. Minecraft (Daniel "C418" Rosenfeld)
Living Mice
Minecraft
Wet Hands

x. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Shinji Hosoe)
Ternary Game
Digital Root
Morphogenetic Sorrow

x. To the Moon (Kan R. Gao, Laura Shigihara)
Main Theme
For River - Piano (Johnny's Version)
Everything's Alright

Azuardo

10. Steins;Gate (Takeshi Abo)
Not really sure whether this is 7th or 8th gen - it was first released in Japan in 2009 on the XBox 360, but its first English release was 2014 on PC, followed by PS3/Vita in 2015, so a case could be made either way. Let me know if this isn't allowed, and I'll replace it with one of my honourable mentions.

This is a good point. I would possibly put this game in my list if we're going by very first available release, which in this case was the JP version.

Would like clarification too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's my list. I didn't include tracks for every example 'cause I got lazy but those I skipped already had samples posted earlier.

1. Dark Souls

Great Grey Wolf Sif
Ornstein & Smough
Taurus Demon
Gaping Dragon

2. Demon's Souls

One Who Craves Souls
Maiden Astraea
Flamelurker
Dragon God

3. Dark Souls 2

Executioner Chariot
Royal Rat Vanguard
Sir Alonne
Ruin Sentinels
Majula

4. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Criminally underrated soundtrack. Features one of the Monster Hunter composers, IIRC. So many epic battle themes.

Imminent Triumph (aka "The End of the Struggle") -- This has to be one of my favourite tracks of this entire gen, it's just so awesome and epic and gets the blood pumping every time)
The First Giant Cyclops Battle
Battle Hydra
Griffin's Bane
Battle to Know the Truth of the Eye
Battle Dark Bishop

5. Dragon's Crown

Good ol' Hitoshi Sakimoto can do no wrong.

Title Screen
Tavern
Tutorial and Cooking
Red Dragon Battle
Ancient Dragon Battle

6. Monster Hunter Tri

Jhen Mohran battle: Part 1: The Ridge Floating in the Sandsea / Part 2: Assaulted Great Gong / Part 3: Hero's Triumph
Lunar Abyss
Moonquake - Ceadeus
Alatreon
Sea and Land Tremble - Lagiacrus

7. Ys: The Oath in Felghana
8. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
9. Ys Origin
10. Ys Seven

Rutger

Banned

Well, I have to keep this fairly short since I didn't find out about this thread until the day of the deadline.
There's some games that could technically make it on this list, but if it was released on two generations like say PS3 + PS4 at the same time, then I'll save it for the latter gen's vote. That means no Guilty Gear or Persona 5.

1. Etrian Odyssey III
One of Yuzo Koshiro's best works. From the towns to the dungeons to the battles, everything is a delight to listen to and never get old in the many hours of dungeon crawling that awaits.
Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart
Labyrinth I - Waterfall Woodlands
Labyrinth V - Chalky Woods
Cold Justice
Labyrinth VI - The Vengeful God in the Dark Ocean Abyss

2. Blazblue series
A bit of a different style compared to Guilty Gear before it, but Daisuke Ishiwatari still does what he does best. This includes from Calamity Trigger to Chrono Phantasma.
Lust SIN
Black & White
Science Fiction

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
The first Galaxy game was fantastic, the second managed to do the impossible and surpass it in every way, including the soundtrack.
Bowser's Galaxy Generator
Final Bowser Battle
Melty Monster Galaxy

4. Pokemon Black and White
We really can't go wrong with any Pokemon soundtrack.
Team Plasma Battle
Nimbasa City
Route 10

5. Xenoblade Chronicles
I've talked about this game before in one of these threads as a LTTP vote in 2014, it's still as fantastic as it was then.
Main Theme
Unfinished Battle
Mechonis Field

6. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Fire Emblem has been one of my favorite game series for quite a while, and the soundtracks of 9 and 10 are still some of my favorites in the series.
FE10 is the only one that applies to this thread and while it reuses some themes like Stalwarts Unite, it has plenty of great tracks to call its own.
Eternal Bond
The Devoted
March of the Lion King

7. Metroid Prime 3
As of this post, the last great Metroid game. It might not have been as strong as Prime 1 & 2 imo, but it's still worth it to play, and its soundtrack certainly lives up to the Prime series' legacy.
Rundas Boss Theme
Skytown Main Theme
Gandrayda Boss Theme

8. Etrian Odyssey II
It's still Yuzo Koshiro, it's still fantastic.
Cherry Tree Bridge
Heaven's Rock Seat
Inspecting the Resounding Weapons

9. Mega Man ZX
A Mega Man game that doesn't get talked about too often, but its soundtrack is really good.
Green Grass Gradation
Trap Factory
Black Burn

10. Mega Man 9
A return to a classic Mega Man soundtrack, and possibly my favorite in that style.
Tornado Man Stage
Galaxy Man Stage
Dr. Wily Stage 2

Azuardo

Like everyone else, this is incredibly tough to narrow down, and even tougher to assign positions to them. The list really is more random than positional, but I've tried to incorporate a handful of different factors in when settling on it.

37519-1412016744.jpg

1. Hotline Miami
Hotline • Perturbator • Hydrogen • Inner Animal • Knock • Crystals • Paris 2

29080-1321871836.jpg

2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
Knight of the Goddess • New Bodhum • Starting Over • Plains of Eternity • Last Hunter • Noel's Theme ~The Last Travel~ • Giant Impact • Run

5409-1429775067.jpg

3. Super Mario Galaxy
Good Egg Galaxy • Gusty Garden Galaxy • Honeyhive Galaxy • Space Junk Galaxy • Battlerock Galaxy

17623-1341215250.jpg

4. VVVVVV
Pushing Onwards • Passion for Exploring • Positive Force • Potential for Anything

32563-1389989500.jpg

5. Mass Effect 3
Leaving Earth • Mars • The View of Palaven • Rannoch • Purgatory • An End Once and For All

4593-1194737742.jpg

6. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Under the Apple Tree • The Price of Freedom • Night of Seclusion • On the Verge of Assault • The World's Enemy • SOLDIER Battle • Fulfilled Desire

39075-1371588181.jpg

7. The Last of Us
The Quarantine Zone • The Last of Us • Vanishing Grace • The Choice • Smugglers • Home • The Path (A New Beginning)

61183-1472747531.jpg

8. Steins;Gate
Gate of Steiner (Main Theme) • Explanation • Chaos Mind • Believe Me • Human Community • Operation Skuld

18946-1276150886.png

9. Xenoblade Chronicles
Engage the Enemy • Gaur Plains • One Who Gets in Our Way • You Will Know Our Names • Mechonis Field

5225-1287869142.jpg

10. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Pitch Black Intrusion • Condemned Tower • Cursed Clock Tower • Vampire Killer • Demon Castle Pinnacle • Piercing Battle Fury • Bloody Tears

Evilisk

Hotline Miami? It is a PS3 game too tho, so the PC 2011 cut-off shouldn't apply to it. I still need to get my list up, but HM will defo be on mine.

Unfortunately, I've never played that game (and wouldn't have enough time to get into the soundtrack for this voting thread).

1. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

latest

Philistine
Philistine (Japan)
No More Riot
It's Kill or be Killed.

The first soundtrack I ever bought. One of only 1,000 cds. It's still my most listened to. Great for working out. Unlike the first stages now have their own song as well. The song Philistine is beautifully integrated within the game. The song after the end boss is brilliant in kind of a meta sense. It's also incredibly beautiful I purposefully didn't link it.

2. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers

latest

Alfitaria Capital
The Selkirk Guild
Moonless Starry Night
Final Showdown

Super eclectic.

3. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

tumblr_inline_n1qurjspnE1roon94.jpg

A dedication to... everyone
Together with the Moon
Hikari

A dedication to... everyone still shakes me to my core. A Tri-Crescendo soundtrack but much more understated than usual. I kind for want to put it in second but there's just not enough tracks.

4. No More Heroes

Main Theme
Pleather for Breakfast

5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The Sky

6. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Midna's Lament

7. Super Mario Galaxy

Gusty Garden Galaxy

8. Feel the Magic: XY/XX

Main Menu
Maniac

9. The Rub Rabbits

Main Theme
Conflict

10. 999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors

Morphogenetic Sorrow

Honorable Mention:

Nintendo System Music: Wii Shop Channel

1. The World Ends With You
One of the most unique OSTs ever released. I credit this with shaping my musical tastes. An incredible soundtrack that knew what it was doing. Also I loved that you could close the DS and listen to the soundtrack.
Calling
Transformation

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

I would turn this on just to listen to the music
Melty Monster Galaxy

3. Xenoblade Chronicles

A tour de force for RPG music.

Mechanical Rythem
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Anarchy Reigns
6. Shatter
7. Madworld
8. Neotokyo
9. Super Smash Bros Brawl
10. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Ennosuke

1. Mirror's Edge
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Halo ODST
6. Halo Reach
7. Assassin's Creed II
8. Life is Strange
9. The Last of Us
10. Alan Wake

Eolz

Damn, I forgot about Fragile Dreams. Good shout!
And I guess that with that it's over now...

Voting's over now. I'll have the results up later today. I've discovered some pretty great soundtracks in the process, like Dustforce's.

01. Xenoblade Chronicles
2OFU9fI.png

Manami Kiyota, Ace+, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda
Gaur Plains
Mechanical Rhythm
You Will Know Our Names

Nocturnowl said:
You could describe the Xenoblade OST as being standard JRPG fare just done really well, not the most glamorous depiction I know but it gets the point across.
Overworld themes, character themes, battle themes and all that jazz (no actual jazz mind you). I sound like I'm underselling it here quite heavily but IT'S GREAT! Yes I'm kinda at a struggle wrapping this one up in a neat summary so hopefully the music speaks for itself. A strong showing for music that compliments and enhances its environments, you don't forget stepping out onto the Gaur Plains or the night time transition of the Marsh thanks to the music accompanying the visual.
AniHawk said:
i think in the end everything can be summed up with mechonis field, which felt ripped almost out of metroid prime. this was the moment i knew i was playing the best game in 2012. and the rest of the soundtrack is just so good in how it defines each area, fleshing out the scope of the adventure.
Wichu said:
A 91-track epic that perfectly complements this massive adventure. It has plenty of variety, yet still feels cohesive. I don't think I ever got bored of this soundtrack, even when I spent hours exploring a single area.
Going to separate samples by composer. Sorry about the link spam, this soundtrack is just too good!
02. NieR
ZAcjPHH.png

Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura
Hills of Radiant Winds
Emil (Karma)
Shadowlord

MineralCraver420 said:
This hit me in a way that few albums, let alone video game soundtracks, ever did. This soundtrack has a beautiful melancholy feel to it. Even with bombastic battle themes, adventurous overworld themes, and homely town themes, that melancholy still creeps in. It's a grand work, yet one with an intimate emotional focus. It's the soundtrack of the generation. It's the soundtrack of the lifetime. It's one of the greatest musical works in history. It's honestly what the legacy of this whole medium should be.
Jucksalbe said:
Sometimes a crappy game can still produce a gem. No matter what I may think about playing the game, the music is excellent. Unique in style, downright beautiful in parts, the tracks all carry a lot of emotions. Still haven't played much of Automata (I blame the stretched 100 hours of Persona 5), but I hope this can continue with this style. Is the music of the Drakengard games anything like this? It doesn't seem like they get brought up much.
Nocturnowl said:
It's been something of a journey for Nier in my musical musings, I always appreiated it but not to the same heights as most. I felt (and in a way still do think) that the emphasis on Emi Evans vocals leads to a level of sameyness across the board which can slightly hinder variety (you could say if she's not your jam then you ain't got much to ummm...spread on your toast here?) but on the other hand there's little else like it among gaming soundtracks. It's a very distinct style for sure that leads a lasting impression. It's actually almost criminal how some tracks don't get used nearly enough if I recall in game (Grandma!) while some others rear their heads a bit too much (Emil Sacrifice, pls stop being in EVERY emotional scene towards the end!).
This probably explains why I really took a while to click with the soundtrack and remind myself of some of the truly fantastic pieces which aren't quite as prevalent in a playthrough.

03. Super Mario Galaxy
G8hMtW4.png

Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo
Buoy Base Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Good Egg Galaxy

Jucksalbe said:
Remember how big of a deal it was way back when that Mario now "finally" has an orchestral score? Like that was ever a sign of quality. But nevertheless, Super Mario Galaxy has some pretty great music that's not always a rehash of the same old Mario tunes (though those are here as well, of course). It gives the whole space theme the necessary feeling of grandeur (is that a word?). But after listening through the whole soundtrack again, I also felt it kinda misses the necessary variety to go beyond an honorable mention. Anyway, the recommended tracks are the usual stage themes everyone will always tell you about, but also take note of all the calm themes associated with Rosalina and Luma, or simply the background story in general.
Earthpainting said:
There’s always been something a bit strange about aurally representing the vastness and emptiness of space. One of the biggest features of space is its lack of sound, as there’s no air to vibrate through to make sound. You’re going to have to take some artistic liberties to evoke the feeling of space, and I think Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best pieces of media out there that does this. Its soundtrack mainly focuses on the beauty and majesty of the great unknown and sweeps you through the stars just like Mario does. I’m not sure if it sounds like the Mario we knew and love, but I suppose it’s fitting as he too was just a tiny speck in an endless expanse.
Eolz said:
The great return of Mario in 3D at the time, and boy what an adventure this is. Full of memorable themes and epic tracks, this is a really special one. Still feels nostalgic.

04. The Last of Us
Gustavo Santaolalla
The Last of Us
Vanishing Grace
The Choice

05. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Jamie Christopherson
Rules of Nature
Collective Consciousness
The Stains of Time

06. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mahito Yokota, Ryo Nagamatsu, Koji Kondo
Bowser's Galaxy Generator
Puzzle Plank Galaxy
Final Bowser Battle

07. Shatter
Module
The Amethyst Caverns
Kinetic Harvest
The Argon Refinery

08. Journey
Austin Wintory
Apotheosis
Descent
Nadir

09. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Masakazu Sugimori, Naoto Tanaka
Pursuit ~ Cornered
Objection! 2001
Investigation - The Core 2001

10. VVVVVV
Magnus Pålsson
Pushing Onwards
Positive Force
Potential for Anything

11. Dark Souls
Motoi Sakuraba
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyle
Gaping Dragon

12. Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
Yuzo Koshiro
That's the Beginning of the Adventure
Engrave Thy Name
Labyrinth I - Waterfall Woodlands

13. Mass Effect
Jack Wall & Sam Hulick
The Normandy
Theme
Uncharted Worlds

14. Mirror's Edge
Magnus Birgersson, Lisa Miskovsky
Still Alive
Kate
The Shard

15. NeoTokyo
Ed Harrison
Automata
Rebuild
Scrap IO

16. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Michael McCann
Icarus
Unatco
Detroit City Ambeint

17. Ys Seven
Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama and Masanori Osaki
Innocent Primeval Breaker
Crossing Rage
Mother Earth Altago

18. Bayonetta
Norihiko Hibino, Takahiro Izutani, Yoshitaka Suzuki, Masami Ueda, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Rei Kondoh, Takayasu Sodeoka, Erina Niwa
Battle for the Umbra Throne
The Greatest Jubilee
You May Call Me Father

19. The World Ends With You
Takeharu Ishimoto
Calling
Twister
Deja vu

20. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Harry Gregson-Williams
Old Snake
Paradise lost
Love Theme

21. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Jeremy Soule
Dragonborn
The Jerall Mountains
Kyne's Peace

22. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Hajime Wakai, Shiho Fujii, Mahito Yokota, Takeshi Hama
Ballad of the Goddess
Fi’s Farewell
Koloktos / Moladarch

23. Bastion
Darren Korb
Build That Wall (Zia's Theme)
The Sole Regret
Bynn The Breaker

24. Cladun: This is an RPG!
Kaori Tsutsui, Syntaro Jimbo and Yoh Ohyama
Knight of a Foreign Country
Slicing the Wind
Till Dawn

25. Fez
Disasterpeace
Glitch
Home
Beacon

A big thanks to everyone that participated. It's one of the more challenging gens to rank in my opinion. It lasted quite long, and was incredibly diverse. The rise of handhelds and indie developers also really brought back retro sounding game music as well. Just a lot of cool stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
No surprise at the top 3. Though, before this thread started I thought Nier would win this. But hey, Xenoblade could finally win something, as far as I remember it never made first place because it was split between three years because of the late release in different regions.
A shame the voting thread didn't even make it to a full page. Last time the reasoning was that people didn't care much for the first few generations, but it seems even the newest "done" generation didn't fare much better. Oh well.

Thanks for putting in all the work to make this come together, Earthpainting! Hopefully the usual SOTY thread will have more people participating again. The generational vote are all done now.

So now we have
Gen 1-3: Mega Man 2
Gen 4: Chrono Trigger
Gen 5: Symphony of the Night
Gen 6: Shadow of the Colossus
Gen 7: Xenoblade Chronicles.

Looks like mostly solid choices.

Top Bottom