• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2014 Voting Thread [voting closed]

megalowho

1. Transistor ; The songwriting, emotional impact and musicality of the Transistor soundtrack is arguably even more impressive than the outstanding work Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett did for Bastion. Enhances the atmosphere and ties in directly with the themes and story, there's even a button dedicated to Red humming along to whatever's playing. Great stuff for both in and outside the game.

Darren Korb - The Spine
Darren Korb - Vanishing Point
Darren Korb - Coasting
Darren Korb - Water Wall
Darren Korb - _n c_rcl_s

2. Lovely Planet ; It's not the biggest soundtrack, it may wear its Katamari influences on its sleeve, but it's devastatingly catchy with no filler and highly replayable front to back. Calum Bowen is a name to look out for.

Calum Bowen - Lovely City
Calum Bowen - Lovely Forest
Calum Bowen - Lovely Mountains
Calum Bowen - Lovely Forest (Maxo Fightermix)

3. Shovel Knight ; Maybe the best retro styled soundtrack of recent memory. Evokes classics like Mega Man and Castlevania but clever arrangements and recurring themes gives the full package a cohesiveness and depth that elevates it above a tribute to the era and into a classic of it's own right.

Jake Kaufman - Steel thy Shovel
Jake Kaufman - Strike The Earth! Plains of Passage
Jake Kaufman - An Underlying Problem (The Lost City)
Jake Kaufman - High Above the Land (The Flying Machine)

----
Honorable Mentions:

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Composers: Manyo, TECHNOuchi, Atsushi Yamaji, Rio Okano
Detective of the Past
Arousal
Theme of D4

Lethal League
Composers: Various Artists
Klaus Veen - Ordinary Days
Grillo - Urabon
Doctor Lazer - Headbangeren

Civilization: Beyond Earth
Composers: Geoff Knorr, Grant Kirkhope (!), Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran
Benedicite
Solar Collector
The Future of Mankind

Nidhogg
Composer: Daedelus
Castle
Wilds
Clouds

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Composers: Atsushi Kitajo, Toshiki Konishi, Shoji Meguro
Maze of Life
Strange School
Memories of the School

Mario Kart 8
Composers: Shiho Fujii, Atsuko Asahi, Ryo Nagamatsu, Yasuaki Iwata
Cloudtop Cruise
Mount Wario
Moo Moo Meadow (Wii)

Hohokum
Composers: Various Artists
Com Truise - Declination (Instrumental)
Geoff White - Wedding Party
Tycho - A Walk

Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Composers: Peter McConnell, Daniel Teper
Main Theme 2
Time To Relax
Paris

And a few bonus tracks for good measure!

Luftrausers - The Original
TxK - Noise Pulse
Terra Battle - The Maker's Beckoning
Goat Simulator - Main Theme
Tomodachi Life - Mii Maker
1001 Spikes - Sugimoto's Theme
DJMAX Technika Q - Deborah
Bayonetta 2 - Tomorrow is Mine (Instrumental)

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

If it were up to me one of the bullet points on the back of Tropical Freeze’s box would be “featuring the return of David Wise!”, he’s as much a returning character to the Country series as Dixie and Funky were for this entry.
Wise’s tracks played a huge role in setting the tone and atmosphere of the DKC series and none more so than the second entry DKC2 back in 1995 which has long since held the crown of my favourite video game soundtrack, I expected something great from Tropical Freeze’s soundtrack but Wise may have very well outdone his work on DKC2 with this one.

Retro’s take on the DKC series is a brighter and more colourful one which plays into the execution of Tropical Freeze’s soundtrack which is jauntier than the moodier SNES entries. At first this actually seemed to be a point of concern after all DKC2’s music is often revered for the unique atmosphere it gives to a mascot platformer and that perhaps TF would end up more by the numbers musically as a result.
What both Retro and Wise pulled off here was to make the upbeat tone work for them on the audiovisual front and carve out a more unique identity among the series, Wise tackles all sorts of styles to fit the environments Retro crafted be it festive Polka or tribal beats. The quantity and quality on display here goes beyond what I expect from most 2D platforming soundtracks in particular, there’s even a few full tracks just whipped up for small segments of land which in a way is one of the few negatives of the soundtrack that portions of it almost go to waste only heard by those who make the special effort and not the people just blasting through the game, oh and that sound test is criminally incomplete.
In any case the music fits the game like a glove, each step of the journey accompanied by music that successfully sets the scene and increases the memorability of the game.

Trunk Twister is the game’s first minecart stage, a series staple where the music usually carries a sense of urgency to match the quick reactions to get through the stage unscathed but this time around there’s another twist in play an it ain’t just the trunk. The theme for Trunk Twister is plain fun, it starts off almost chilled out if it weren’t for the heavy percussion element bringing that more frantic pace into play, soon it leads into a jungle hoedown of all things, there’s shades of Wise’s Diddy Kong Racing work here (in particular it's quite similar to that games battle map theme). It's music that really makes the stage feel like that much more of an exciting wild ride and towards the end it breaks down into a harmonica blitz which is just rad.

Frosty Fruits
is a track where new and old collide, it’s cool and chill in both applications of those words, the echoed icy effects present a cold environment with a relaxing beat. Halfway through the tone shifts to a more encouraging one and that’s when the stealth remix unveils itself with DKC2’s” In a Snow Bound Land” track resurfacing to deliver a nostalgic blow straight to my heart, cooler than Bashmaster’s toenails and my favourite use of an older track in the game.

While Amiss Abyss is one of Tropical Freeze’s most crowd pleasing tracks let’s not forget its land bound brother with Deep Keep, a track that runs in tandem with the funky waters below it barely gets any time to leave an impression as the sunny sands swiftly take a backseat to the ocean depths overriding the theme with its funked out follow up. Take the time to lounge on the beach for a moment though as this is the only place in the game you can hear this tropical tinged tune, fun and playful in a rather subdued way.

I’ll always remember Cannon Canyon as being that track I was trying to decipher among the hustle and bustle of E3 back when the game was first revealed, boy the direct feed footage that day was a joyous one, this track here was like the true confirmation of Wise’s return. This one is very much a more traditional DKC style track, powerful percussion and the bellowing of a distant horn make for a fantastic start up segment before the main melody kicks in. The ethnic style flute really draws me in midway through and then when it starts building up to the finish with the introduction of the vocal backing alongside the previous elements the track ascends to the next level. You may also recognize the little theme at the end is a reoccurring one that plays in other fan favourite track Seashore War.

Horn Top Hop is a funny one, when I first started the stage I heard the opening jingle and thought something special way on its way only to feel swerved by the arrival of the horn. It would take a few replays to get this one to really click with me and the star attraction here for me are all its backing elements which make up an almost hypnotic rhythm fuelled mainly by what I think is lute strumming and bongos. The folky vibe is perfect for the Swiss like setting of the stage and it carries dynamic elements with the main instrument shifting from the horn to a more serene harp when you enter an autumn wood section.

For Harvest Hazards I’m just going to say the way all the instruments introduced throughout the track start building on top of each other for the tracks finale before it loops is just grand, jungle expedition meets mechanisms.

The Tropical Freeze soundtrack has had nearly a year to continue growing on me, upon first finishing the game I felt that it was a great OST but not about to unseat DKC2, slowly but surely as I listened to more of its tracks it began to prove itself more than strong enough to stand up alongside my all time favourite. It more than makes up for the underwhelming safe soundtrack of its predecessor and then some.
To get almost sappy over game music of all things it really pleases me that this soundtrack exists, like I would've thought it almost a pipe dream of mine to get another David Wise DKC soundtrack let alone one as strong as this and yet here it is, all of my thanks to those involved which would also include Kenji Yamamoto. I hope it wont be too long before I can hear more from both Wise and Yamamoto.

sJmXxSP.jpg

2. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

The musical meeting of these two series is interesting to me in how each one benefits from the soundtrack strengths of the other. Layton brings its grander production values to Ace Attorney’s catchy court collection which in turn helps flesh out the entire package as often I find Layton soundtracks to have but a handful of great themes that never quite come together to make a truly standout soundtrack and Ace Attorney could always use an audio boost.
Now it really feels like the best of both worlds, you got accordions in my court room and I love it!

In the early stages of the game before Wright and Layton’s tales intertwine there’s some pleasing throwbacks to both series with a host of remixes, most notably the classic trial themes from the original Ace Attorney are given an orchestrated makeover, that they did this for just a single trial segment is a very appreciated gesture.
However the remix that really grabbed me the most is on Layton’s side, in fact at first I didn’t even notice that the tune that defined the Curious Village of St Mystere had snuck its way into the game with this lavish take on About Town.
While Ace Attorney has the majority of its remix blowout in the early goings the Layton callbacks tend to crop up throughout the rest of the adventure, The Town’s Past originally from Pandora’s Box (or Diabolical Box for you over Wright’s side of the pond in Japanifornia) benefits greatly from the orchestration, soothing and serene carrying a touch of class that makes me want to go relax with a cup of tea like the good Professor would want I'm sure.
A less typical remix comes with a smooth take on the puzzle theme from Spectre’s Call Puzzle Deductions, an enjoyable shift away from the more simplistic music box style of the original.

But what sort of a choice would this be if it were just about brushing up old tracks? PLvsAA brings a whole host of new themes to the table to better fit its medieval themed setting.
Before jumping into the courtroom I have to make mention of the wonderful After Hours track for the town at night, it’s as peaceful and calming as they come.
The courts of Labyrinthia are where the two series style really merge, the usual musical tropes of Wright’s courtroom outings feel grander than ever, the classical influence gives it a touch that stands out among other Ace Attorney games.
Courtroom Magic is a stakes raising track that takes a turn for the crazed when the accordions come in almost signifying the confusion in the courts. Courtroom Jester is an infectious character theme for an amusing and incredibly unreliable witness that puts a rare lighter spin on the proceedings. The Winning Combination and the obligatory Cornered theme Spell Breaker are something of a winning combination themselves delivering those climatic musical blows to punctuate the players success with bombast.

Overall I really dug the overarching style for this soundtrack, at times fantastical and all together classical it’s as strong a match as the crossover itself.

3. Tengami
You wait years for another full David Wise soundtrack and then two turn up in the same year, well I’m not going to complain. A much smaller scale outing to Tropical Freeze and with a more defined theme overall, Tengami being a simple adventure game running with a Japanese theme has a soundtrack to match.
Often pensive and tranquil the Tengami soundtrack finds itself a perfect accompaniment to the deliberate slow and steady pace Tengami literally unfolds at.

The Pale Moonlight is a strong early theme to set the style, odds are if you like this you’ll enjoy what else is on offer, Tengami’s soundtrack doesn’t deviate too much from its core atmosphere that establishes a mysterious mood.

Dreams Unfolding gradually builds up to being one of the grander tracks in the set with the melody escalating on its second loop leading to a powerful finish.

Crimson Leaves is a must if like me you highly value DKC2’s Forest Interlude track (in fact, my favourite piece of VGM) , it’s reminiscent of it with an oriental touch.

Reflections is one of the more unique tracks with its distinct intro quickly setting it further apart from the rest of the soundtrack while still feeling in line with what came before it.

There’s a lot of love for Wise in here so it’s actually a bit of a shame that Tengami still finds itself overshadowed by the hulking ape even in my own list. It’s the introspective one in the corner of this musical party while Tropical Freeze is the life of it (possibly drunk swinging around the ceiling fan by its monogrammed tie at this point), take out the time to give it a listen and you’ll find while it doesn’t have as much to offer it has just as much worth in its soothing musical musings.

(PS: Swerve of the Year: Schala talking up this soundtrack before I could, I'm shook!)

HM: Shovel Knight
Video Game soundtracks invoking the nostalgic beeps of the past aren’t exactly uncommon in their various forms but few are as authentic as Jake Kaufman’s retro NES soundtrack for Shovel Knight. I like to think Kaufman has something of an energetic style to most of his works and even here with deliberately less to work with it’s still noticeable with each track dense with chiptune goodness.
A fun factor with the music in the game itself for me was how the sound test was effectively implemented as a set of collectables to give to the village bard, never mind the cash reward for each music sheet returned, I wanted to get each of the snippets of not so serious dialogue for each individual track.

Fighting with All of Our Might is an ace boss theme that really pumps me up to deliver shovel justice, of course I listened to the arranged version and am now unable to remove Hyper Camelot lyrics from my mind when this track plays.

I love the intro used in High Above the Land, it’s a small section that really stands out to me not that the rest of the track doesn’t do a fine job of that in general.

Honesty time: I can’t help but think that I’d like the OST more if it went beyond the 8-bit style but obviously I understand why that’s not the case here, like 8-bit is the entire point after all, maybe it's that at times I find it almost trying to do too much at once within its limited sound set if that makes any sense. Even so some of those arranged tracks just made me hunger for more perhaps in line with the style of Jake's work on Ducktales Remastered (off I go to listen to Himalayas again). Regardless it’s still great stuff that narrowly misses my top 3.

HM: Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

This is a strange choice for me because as a whole the soundtrack is simply okay at doing its job of being a movie style OST of grandiosity and not altogether particularly memorable.
But there are points in the score for LoS2 where Oscar Araujo nails it and the swelling orchestra serves its purpose well to strengthen the gothic atmosphere of the wintry castle and desolate city.
A small handful of tracks have been regulars for me this year and even if I don’t rate the whole soundtrack I can’t just ignore them so easily.
Dying for a Drop of Blood is my standout track that I’d go as far to rank up there with some of my series favourites, a track all about the slow build up and a strong payoff.
Return to the Castle blends in some subtle electronic elements to the usual orchestration which is a nice touch that crops up in other places within the soundtrack.
It’s a shame that the full soundtrack never quite comes together (story of the LoS saga right there) but there’s still some of the series spirit within the movie score style so it's a slight shame to see the music so swiftly and heavily dismissed by some.

That's enough for this post but if you thought you were safe from old owl's rambling then I'm afraid I've got some bad news, I still have LttP candidates among a few other tidbits, the music keeps playing!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - best soundtrack this gen yet. David Wise at his best. It won't be easy to pick favourite songs, because this soundtrack is just all-around superb
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - all the best from Nintendo's biggest series and great new remixes. I don't even have the game, but the soundtrack is amazing.
3. Mario Kart 8 - actually my favourite Mario Kart soundtrack and really fitting the game well.

x. Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc: Really catchy, even my fiancée noted that it's amazing it does not get tedious after prolonged sessions. Not as memorable as the top three choices though.

Yoshi

It's improper to vote for a game you haven't played, even if it's just the soundtrack. Honorable mention is more appropriate in that circumstance.

Why? What's the problem if I love music of a game I don't deem worthy of full-price (so, Smash)?

If it were up to me one of the bullet points on the back of Tropical Freeze’s box would be “featuring the return of David Wise!”, he’s as much a returning character to the Country series as Dixie and Funky were for this entry.

Baffling that it wasn't mentioned as part of the E3 Direct announcement. Seems like the Direct audience would be the prime target for that type of announcement. Anyway, nearly flipped my shit when I saw it on Twitter.

Nice write up. I like how you focused on some less popular, but still great tracks.

Yoshi

Why is there need to reserve a spot? Just write "1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze" instead and think about the rest later if you need to reserve :).

I don't usually do Soundtrack of the Year threads, but what the hell, I'll do one this time around.
I'm surprised that you don't usually, you do good writeups and have discussed soundtracks in other threads so I figured you'd been here all along.
Xenoblade reminder is always nice, replaying it this year reminded me that the Frontier Village music is a gem.

Baffling that it wasn't mentioned as part of the E3 Direct announcement. Seems like the Direct audience would be the prime target for that type of announcement. Anyway, nearly flipped my shit when I saw it on Twitter.

Nice write up. I like how you focused on some less popular, but still great tracks.
It caught me by surprise seeing as the trailer just used another DK Island Swing remix, seemed like they were going to safe route again.
Yeah I deliberately focused on some of my favourites that don't get brought up as much as others, almost went with Baobab Bonanza over Cannon Canyon for this same reason.
I would've also liked to have squeezed in Mountain Mania and Forest Folly as well but then I'd be getting excessive with the links...okay, more excessive.

Why is there need to reserve a spot? Just write "1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze" instead and think about the rest later if you need to reserve :).
Strangely I don't recall seeing the wave of reservations in previous years, I'm more likely to miss the reserved lists in the GotY thread in particular unless I go back through the many posts that will have accumulated in a month.

Nocturnowl basically has a similar list to mine but also explained his choices better than I ever could, and I actually just remembered that I've yet to post my own list. Got confused with the GOTY thread making me think I already have.

Wing Ding
Homecoming Hijinx
Irate Eight
2. Tengami
Crimson Leaves
Frozen in Time
The Pale Moonlight
3. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Mass Inquisition ~ Allegro
Cornered ~ Spell Breaker
Quiet Moments

LTTP: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Truth be told, I have played this game last year, but I've only reached up to Monsoon. It wasn't until this year that I picked up from where I left off, beat the game and started appreciating the music. I suppose it's OK.
The Hot Wind Blowing
It's unfortunate to me that this track is rarely ever mentioned with the others, but it's understandable being DLC and all. Still, it's probably my favourite of the whole OST. I tend to tire with other tracks and move on to the next, but this and Collective Consciousness I never stop listening to.
Collective Consciousness
Red Sun

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
First place seems to be a foregone conclusion, so I'll further cement it.

1. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - The diversity and quality is just astonishing. The things gets better with repeated listens. Whimsical, epic, quirky, infinitely catchy - it's got it all. I'll stick to three non-remixes that I love:

Scorch N' Torch - Hooked in the first 10 seconds. Chills through the rest of it. The rising tension is amazing.
Cannon Canyon- It starts out good, and then a minute in the flute kicks in and it's oh my god this is amazing.
Wing Dings Happy, chill, but also emotional and beautiful. Not sure how Wise does it, but he does it.

I could list another ten tracks that could take top spot on another day.

2. Shovel Knight - Epic 8-bit beats that stay with you.

Flowers of Antimony (The Explodatorium) - It reminds me of an Earthbound track (the Monkey Caves), which is never, ever a bad thing.
Strike the Earth - Such a rousing and vital theme.
The Lich Yard - Total Castlevania vibe

3. Transistor - Fits the mood and ambience of the game like a glove. Ashley Barrett's haunting vocals elevate the material to another level:

Paper Boats - Such a melacholic piece and my favourite.
The Spine - I think this is lyrically the best. A slow powerhouse of a performance.
We All Become - The beats that coincide with "The Country" is just excellent.

HM: Smash Brothers Wii U - I actually found the quantity of tracks to detract from quality of the whole. There are a lot of subpar remixes that didn't click for me. But the ones that do are absolutely godly, and from completely unexpected sources:

Donkey Kong Returns Vocals - WTF? This has no right to be so good!
Dedede Theme Version 2 - Sucker for wind instruments.
Route 10 - I'm always surprised by how good Pokemon music is. This one sounds Layton-influenced.

LTTP: The Wonderful 101. The two volume itunes album is great!

Delstius

1. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
I'm a sucker for orchestrated music, love the Ace Attorney series (and its music), and I'm fond of medieval settings so I guess I'm biased on this one. Anyway, I really liked the calm, relaxing and elegant Layton themes and how it shifted while building the tension to the Ace Attorney side. As I have never played a Layton game before (shame on me, I suppose) I don't know if it's something specific to this game, but I loved the peculiar feeling and how the music brings out perfectly that medieval and kind of fantastic yet realistic setting. Then there's the Ace Attorney themes in all their awesomeness (told you I'm biased).
Main Theme
Professor Layton's Theme
Objection!
Cornered ~ Spell-breaker

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Tropical Freeze already got a lot of praise (rightfully) so I'll just say I loved how every music tells a story and their vast diversity.
Sawmill Thrill
Scorch 'N' Torch
Twilight Terror
Big Top Bop

3. Shovel Knight
I was impressed by Shovel Knight. Not only by the technical prowess, but also by how catchy every damn track is.
Main Theme
The Rival
High Above the Land
Fighting with all of Our Might

Honorable Mentions
Mario Kart 8 (Mute City)
Super Smash Bros (Mega Man 2 Medley)
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (Towering Pair) (EU... so 2014 for me)

LTTP
The Wonderful 101

The Hermit

1- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
2- Shovel Knight
3- Bayonetta 2

Will write impressions later, but just going to say that TF is one of the most beautifull soundtracks ever.

Yuterald

I love this thread every year because it introduces me to game soundtracks I might have otherwise missed.

Yeah, same here. It's like the only real reason why I still hang around on GAF. I just discovered Lovely Planet's OST this morning due to someone's post above and now I gotta embark on an emergency playthrough of that game real fast during my xmas break, haha!

Man, I've got my top 2 on lock-down, but I can't decide on the 3rd. I think people can guess what my top 2 are, ha! It was so much more clear cut for me last year. I've also not played a bunch of games I was meaning to check out this year that are definitely up my alley in the muzak department, but I don't feel comfortable talking about them unless I've played/finished the game. I completely understand that some people can discuss/judge music out of context, but I just can't get myself to write anything meaningful unless I've experienced the game. It's totally mental-gymnastics on my end, but it's also a way for me to keep myself from spoiling a game I'm looking forward to because music is probably the thing I look forward to most when I boot up a new game, haha!

Thanks for putting this together this year, Dark Schala! I'm really enjoying reading people's votes. My picks this year are a bit unsurprising, but I feel confident in them.

3. Mario Kart 8

Mario Kart 8 comes in one flavor: bold. Its percussive horns, rock guitar interludes, humming synth, and crazy saxophone licks are not for those looking for a contemplative listening experience. But for those with even the smallest soft spot for big band, this soundtrack cannot be missed. It features one of gaming’s best new trends, the dynamic soundtrack, bringing in delectable saxophone or guitar solos as you tear out of the water in ”Dolphin Shoals” or soar into thunderclouds in ”Cloudtop Cruise.” There are a lot of songs that are just plain fun to listen to, like ”N64 Rainbow Road,” and the new DLC instant-favorites ”Mute City” and ”Hyrule Circuit,” the latter of which is, by the way, heaven for a Zelda music nerd. It may rarely turn down for what, but Mario Kart 8 brings with it the joy of live music and musicians with immense instrumental talent. Now sing to me, Dolphin Shoals sax man.

2. Bravely Default

Rock and orchestral elements are familiar to any fan of JRPGs, but they usually only emerge in bombastic boss and final boss themes. Rarely is an entire soundtrack constructed with both in mind. While most rock and orchestra ensembles go straight for the jugular at every turn, Revo’s claim to fame here is his ability to blend and balance all of the instrumentation available to him. With Bravely Default, Revo has done some incredible work capturing the adventurous, poignant, and surging spirit of the JRPG.

Utilizing the recurring leitmotif sketches of the four protagonists, ”Four Legends” gives us a glimpse of the game’s musical breadth. ”Silence of the Forest,” with its ethereal vocal crescendos and bells, breathes and echoes with a Yasunori Mitsuda-like touch. ”Beneath the Hollow Moon” features a blissful trio of tin whistle, violin, and guitar. ”Infiltrating Hostile Territory,” earlier mentioned in this thread, is a smartly layered blend of basic rock elements, sparse piano, echoing bells (a staple of this soundtrack), and periodic thrums of string. The balance here is impeccable – no element overwhelms, creating a swirl of suspense that continues to interest the listener without wearing out its welcome.

Yet regardless of the integrity of the rest of the soundtrack, people will most likely remember Bravely Default for its rock anthems. I don’t fault them. Each is a highly rhythmic and intense affair that uses its access to many different instruments, beyond its rock and orchestra ensembles, to create an aurally interesting and invigorating melting pot. ”That Person’s Name Is” is a great boss battle theme that purposefully interplays its violin and rock guitar leads. It is forceful, but not overwhelming, making it a perfect fit for the in-game function it serves. It even manages to work in the game’s main leitmotif in a way that flows. No mention of this soundtrack is complete without a nod to ”Serpent Eating the Ground,” which makes for a truly incredible final boss theme. Revo dials it up to 11 here with a choir, a driving electric guitar background, horn stabs, and arpegiatting strings and guitars, without ever burying any individual part. The musical progression here is immaculate and keeps the listener engaged. In truly impressive fashion, it manages to work in pretty much every important leitmotif in the game, making for what is undeniably an epic final hurrah for the entire soundtrack. ”Ibitsu Naru Shinen Sono na ha Mao,” the theme for what I can only assume is an incredibly difficult postgame boss, has a similarly powerful finality to it, but also works in some unsettling child choir and bells, as well as a female vocalist who gives the piece a dramatic and operatic quality at turns, all while quoting musical ideas from the game's final battle themes. Revo’s beloved ascending and descending intervals are on full display here in several moments that strip back in order to drive on to the next musical idea.

Rather than blasting the listener with every tool at his disposal, Revo uses the balanced interplay of each instrument in his orchestra, along with a plethora of aurally interesting musical ideas and, more importantly, precise timing, to compile a soundtrack clearly born out of passion, but with technical composition that rarely babbles. Here is game music from a composer who understands what he likes, what sounds good, and why. I am sad to see him missing from the helm of Bravely Second, and I hope that we see more work from him in gaming’s future.

1. Shovel Knight

Sometimes, when I’m listening to music, I anticipate a certain chord change or melodic line while thinking, “It would sound really cool if they went for this, but I bet they won’t do it.” Nine out of ten times I’m right, but through sheer strength of volume, Shovel Knight may have upset that ratio. I don’t know if the restrained aural 8-bit palette simply gave him less room to miss, but with so many melodic moves that tickled my music bone, Jake “virt” Kaufman must be on my wavelength.

There’s just such an excellent synthesis of melodic and bass lines, such a deluge of catchy, anthemic tunes and leitmotifs, such an understanding of where and when to use chiptune tricks like vibrato, trills, and scoops. ”Strike the Earth!” is the quintessential Shovel Knight tune, encapsulating all of these qualities. The bridge section is my favorite part, where Kaufman hangs on a couple of seventh octaves and just jams for a bit with the melodic line, even working in some call-and-response, before doing a couple of two-five arpeggiating moves back down towards the chorus. I have no idea if people react the same way to this stuff that I do. Maybe I’m just crazy. But God, I love it.

Everyone has his or her favorite area theme, and they are almost all unanimously excellent. ”High Above the Land,” which I believe is the first area theme that Kaufman previewed before the game’s release, is one of my favorites simply because of its irresistible melodic line. I especially like how Kaufman worked in some chip sounds that sound like the whirling of helicopter blades. That song ties with ”An Underlying Problem” as my favorite area theme. The latter is just so cool, particularly because of its thick, buzzing bass. It’s more than just melody – there’s a thumping rhythmic interplay shared with the melodic line, like a bassist comping in a jazz band.

What’s interesting is that although Kaufman’s particular style might simply be written off as the style of chiptune in general, if you listen to Manami Matsumae’s compositions, there is a clear difference in feel. Matsumae turned in two clearly articulated and thematically fitting pieces with ”A Thousand Leagues Below” and ”Flower of Antimony.” These are good songs, and conceptually you can hear the sureness of the ideas they articulate. But they lack Kaufman’s performance flair, his trills and vibratos and melodic interplay, and the end result seems a bit workmanlike. This is all the more apparent when you listen to Matsumae’s remix of “High Above the Land” on the Shovel Knight Arrange Album. When you boil down Kaufman’s work to just the component parts, you can’t help but feel that the magic dissipates. It is his musical soul that gives this soundtrack its boundless energy.

There are a host of other great themes on this soundtrack, tracks like the vigorous Black Knight battle theme, ”The Rival,” the pretty, glittering soundscape of ”The Starlit Wilds,” and the jamming clash of minor and major keys in the climactic battle theme, ”The Betrayer.” Kaufman doesn’t phone it in with one-off tracks, either: ”Waltz of the Troupple King” is a full-fledged waltz with a pleasant melody and an even more amusing context. The whole thing is a labor of love, and almost every track sways with energy and swagger, as if Kaufman can’t wait to show you what he’s got next in store. Some might say that it’s a little starved for variance, but I can’t possibly fault a soundtrack that is so full of joy. For that reason and many more, Shovel Knight is my soundtrack of the year.

Honorable Mention: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

The release of new installments in the Smash Bros. series is like a second Christmas – not only because the gameplay makes the series itself one of my all-time favorites, but also because each game is an excuse for dozens of famous composers to remix some of gaming’s most venerable tunes.

If I were to be honest, this round of Smash Bros. has some of the series’ weakest tracks – songs that rehash original tracks, often in the most boring MIDI-synth possible, with little care for instrumentation or dynamics. However, it also has some of the best tracks in the series, so go figure. The Wii U’s ”Final Destination Ver. 2” is a rocking rendition of the game’s main theme, complete with piano, synth, and electric organ. It’s highly melodic and a heck of a jam, and I can’t get enough of it. ”King Dedede’s Theme Ver. 2” is a brilliant take on a classic. ”Fortress Boss Remix” is an unexpected joy with its flamenco guitar styling and vocal callouts. ”Shadow Man Stage” is a groovy rendition of a Mega Man favorite. ”Destroyed Skyworld,” with its softly sibilant female vocals and organ, evokes Keiichi Okabe on 2010’s phenomenal action RPG soundtrack, Nier. General remix rules apply here – it is when composers go for either a pleasantly surprising new take, or a rock-solid, guaranteed crowd-pleaser take that the new Smash Bros. soundtrack succeeds, and I feel that it does this often enough that it warrants a mention here.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles (2012)

Because of Shulk’s inclusion in the new Smash Bros. games, I decided to watch all of the Xenoblade Chronicles cutscenes on YouTube. I’d heard some of the music in this game before – it’s nearly impossible not to, given how much buzz this soundtrack has been getting in recent years – but putting the music into its proper context turned already strong compositions into amazing ones.

I went in expecting to be impressed by Yoko Shimomura, whose work in “drammatica” and “memoria” I have enjoyed discovering throughout the year. But the clear star of the show here is ACE+, whose use of rock instrumentation indeed does not diminish, but instead immortalizes what will surely be remembered as some of gaming’s finest rock tunes. My favorites are everyone’s favorites, and it shouldn’t be much of a surprise why – these tunes pop with dynamic energy and inspired melodies. The fan favorite “Gaur Plains,” with its unique minor melody, stands at the head of a pack of almost universally strong and atmospheric area BGMs. ”You Will Know Our Names” and ”Mechanical Rhythm,” with their swirling, chugging guitars and crashing drums, end up soaring in powerful melodies. And the piano-and-string-led composition ”Engage the Enemy” never fails to get my blood pumping with its delicious rock ballad crescendo.

This soundtrack has almost no low points. Off the beaten path of tracks now canonized in Smash Bros., you can find gems like ”Prologue B,” ”Zanza,” ”Imperial Capital Agniratha,” ”Forest of the Nopon,” and the serenely nostalgic ending theme from Yasunori Mitsuda, ”Beyond the Sea.” You just can’t beat a soundtrack like this. It may be treading familiar ground, but it is unpretentious and unabashed, simultaneously exciting and dignified. Like the game itself, it feels like a celebration of the epic Japanese RPG. It begs to be enjoyed.

What can I say about this that hasn't been said 100 times over? David Wise returns to DK and, alongside Kenji Yamamoto, drops a bomb on the industry with top-to-bottom quality and effervescence. Instant classic that goes into the pantheon of all time great Nintendo soundtracks without hesitation.

Alpine Incline (Ground)
Irate Eight (Underwater)
Harvest Hazards

2. The Wolf Among Us

My "How the hell isn't this getting more love?" a.k.a. "Victim of episodic release format" pick of the year is Jared Emerson-Johnson's The Wolf Among Us soundtrack. Lots of pulsing atmospheric and/or menacing synths with an ambient, dystopian, jazzy, John Carpenter, Twin Peaks feel. All the tracks mesh so well with the adventure genre detective story style of the game, as well as the neon color palette and moody tone to the story. The best part though, is how the soundscape goes beyond the noir confines to the point that most of the tracks wouldn't feel out of place in cyberpunk or space exploration title.

Business Office
Furious Hunt
Woodlands
Pause Menu
Getting Close

3. Transistor

Darren Korb and Ashley Lynn Barrett manage to top themselves with this great electronic, post-rock style sound that at times brings to mind Ed Harrison's incredible NeoTokyo OST, and at others dips into electronica/downtempo. Fits the game's aesthetic like a glove.

Gateless
Tangent
Signals
Impossible
Stained Glass

Honorable Mention: Bayonetta 2

daydream

Banned
Alright, decided to make a new post, here goes:

XiLjkYx.png

Well, what to say that hasn't already been said. Wise has created a masterpiece of a soundtrack and one we shan't ever forget. The way he reinvents his style while maintaining the identity he has carved for himself in the past, the energy flowing out of every note, the effortlessness with which the music melts into every other element of this miraculous experience, the Tropical Freeze soundtrack truly consists of one stroke of genius after another. Nothing less.

Busted Bayou
Alpine Incline (Mountain)
Staff Credits

Gb1JWlq.png

2. Fantasy Life

Laid back, jazzy at times, playful even in a Paper Mario sort of way, all the while not lacking the audacity and temper to aim high and be bold with a wink on its face - this masterful soundtrack flew under everybody's radar despite the pedigree behind it. If you think Uematsu has lost his touch to compose absolutely unique, thoughtful, quaint and quirky tunes, think again. The breeziness with which it interacts, compliments and elevates the world of Reveria is almost second to none this year. The essence of a good-natured smile - a hearty laugh even - in music form.

Castel
Night of a Quiet Town
Job Anthem 3
Tavern
Dynamism When Fighting
Mt. Snowpeak Theme
Summit of Mt. Snowpeak
The Pinch
The Pirate Ship
Al Maajik: Capital of the Desert
Battle with Formidable Enemy

Hx8TDNj.png

3. Mario Kart 8

With past Mario Kart entries being renowned for their supposedly underwhelming, at times 'discordant' soundtracks - statements I can only partially disagree with -, the soundtrack to Mario Kart 8 took everyone by surprise this year. As it turns out it was a good idea to not quite send the big band home after recording of the 3D World soundtrack had been completed. Mario Kart 8 comes damn near close to realising the full potential of an arcade/kart racer soundtrack and it's a shame that the frantic sound mix gets in the way of being able to fully enjoy the brassy goodness blasting out of the TV on almost every track.

Mount Wario

Toad Harbor
Electrodrome
Dragon Driftway

----------------------------------------------------

Honourable mentions: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Yoshi's New Island, Transistor, Lovely Planet, Freedom Planet, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Tengami, Child of Light, Hohokum, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Kero Blaster, Luftrausers, Jazzpunk, OlliOlli, The Floor Is Jelly, Persona Q

My HM list is super long, as always, and I assuredly forgot about some titles. It's been another fantastic year for our ears, so much is obvious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Christ, I'm loving these posts in here and it's a huge bummer that I'm so sick this week that instead of responding to them, I'm napping instead. :(

Really love the effort that people are putting in this time around even if it's adding links to VGM in their post. It makes it easier for people to check new stuff out. As for the people who I expected to put effort into their posts, I enjoyed reading them a lot. I just don't stay up long enough to write up decent responses to them and I really really really want to. :(

Yes, I even enjoyed reading yours, Owl. :p

Strangely I don't recall seeing the wave of reservations in previous years, I'm more likely to miss the reserved lists in the GotY thread in particular unless I go back through the many posts that will have accumulated in a month.
I thought "Reserved" was the newest hottest game on the block that I didn't know about since I haven't been around for a while.

Gotta reorganize that spreadsheet.

This has been a rather thin year for soundtracks for me, and in a few shocking cases, even disappointment in what should be slam dunks. But, like most things in video games I've discovered after the event horizon of Generation 7, I've found myself encountering things outside my usual comfort zone, allowing me to relax the deathgrip on the few surviving strands left after that entropy and find the greatness still springing up around me.

Or it's that real Japanese development going in the shitter hard the last two years means less work for composers over there, one. It's a sorry world.

1) Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze by
fucking
David Wise

Oh, this had to be here.

Proving he hasn't skipped a beat since the glory days of Rare, Mr. Wise comes in and lays waste with tasteful melodies, tempos, and tone bringing back the heady days of 16-bit Wars, prerendered backgrounds, and banana collecting of our youth.

Windmill Hills

Ain't this just the cuuuuuuuutest little hoe down tune you've heard from a game in decades?

Mangrove Cove (Underwater)

Yo. David Wise just matched Aquatic Ambience. He just did that.

Puffer Fish Pressure

This game has some real nice bossfight music too. Nice tension and release with the strings, horns, and kettle drums in this one.

nOveD6A.jpg

2) Divinity: Original Sin by Kirill Pokrovsky

D:OS's OST came out of nowhere much like the game did to rock my face with an eclectic, melodic, and often inspired OST that makes me want to check out the Divinity backlog for more of Mr. Pokrovsky's wonderful talent.

It almost visualize this soundtrack as being a lovechild of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and Chrono Cross, utilized in-game somewhere between the spare, almost rare use of seemingly random tracks of Minecraft and the constant "shuffle" of Dungeons of Dredmor.

The Power of Innocence

A spare, intelligent selection of live instruments is a neat skill to have when one has access to orchestral recording, and Pokrovsky mines this for all it's worth in this track, keeping layered backing to an occasional payoff to great effect.

Forest of Fairytales

What a fun little medieval ditty! Perfect for talking to squirrels, chasing mischievious treasure chests and oh fuck me, there must be 10 zombies in this party that we just aggroed...

Guardians of Light

There's a name for this dirge-like quick retread of a short melody like this (or at least, there should be), and despite the dingy, morose nature of most dirgelike melodies, this one is kind of...fun and playful!

Flutter of a Butterfly

The melodies and tone of this sounds a TON like the themes of the crown jewel of Sakimoto's masterwork Vagrant Story: Climax of the Greylands Incident. I cannot stress enough how high a praise this is.

6HeitwV.jpg

3) Velocity 2x by James Marsden

An interesting, purposeful combination of lesser known Trance outfit Airwave and Swedish Chiptune-Metal wacky guys Machinae Supremacy, this soundtrack got me during my research much like how Gunpoint did last year: unexpected, unknown, and undeniably strong.

General Glaive

A neat use of an odd time signature arpeggio for the off-and-on melody of the piece really sells the disqueiting, intimidating nature of what this overbearing figure is in a way that is incredibly uncommon.

Main Theme

This is where the Airwave is at its strongest. Nice pace that doesn't get to frantic for its own good and doesn't drown in somber "epicness". It's a smart composition.

Rekenium

And here's where the Machinae Supremacy shows itself. Mellow and purposeful.

Honorable Mentions:

Alot of few-and-out entries this year are worthy of mention as well.

Tales of Xillia 2 by Motoi Sakuraba

Worldwide Business

This reeks of an 80s business video and is marvelous for it.

Artes Not Yet Known

The only good dungeon in the game fittingly gets the good theme.

Keep Pushing Till the Sword is Exhausted

Kirby Triple Deluxe by Hirokazu Ando

Moonstruck Blossom

Ain't that just the best collection of melodies and breakdowns? No wonder he remixed the hell out of it for theming thruout the soundtrack.

King Dedede's Dash Results

Techno Calypso yo.

Queen Sectonia

The Kirby series almost has as many epic rockin' final boss fight themes as Final Fantasy by this point.

D4 by MANYO

Theme of D4

It's like Shoji Meguro and Soundteam_JDK joined forces and it's awesome for it.

Amanda Shop -Branch-

"Here, let me mix this D&B real distorted so the game works its magic better."

Persona Q by Atsushi Kitajoh

Corn Dog

I Can't Believe It's Not Meguro!

Group Date Cafe

I Can't Believe It's Not Koshiro!

Laybrinth Cultural Festival

No, seriously, there's been some good stuff in this game.

LTTP:

ycmhXvK.jpg

LA-MULANA! by Takumi Naramura Houryu Samejima

Probably would've been my GOTY and SOTY last year if I didn't wait till a dry spell in April-June to play it. These guys are bronzed Greek Gods of rockin' retro tunes; perfect accompaniment in the maddening halls of these mind-bending ruins. A triumph of game design and game composition.

Mr. Explorer

Yay, adventure!

Primitive Dance

The longest and most complex track in the set - a hard-driving, hard-pounding track filled with that neat thing alot of Gen 4 greats did where each movement was a payoff of the preceeding one and a bridge to the latter one.

Moonlight Dance

Sounds a bit like the Xmen cartoon starting up, doesn't it? Great shift in somber riffage to jovial call-and-responce is great accompaniment on your way to the Ax asap.

Curse of IRON PIPE

This is it: The Monster.

This track just should not work. Countermelodies all errwhrr. Drastic changes in tempo. Raw, nasty, fuzzy synth. A magnificent track and one of the greatest in video gaming history.

Mr. RHC

W0Kt5NB.png

1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
At this point I would have nominated Ace Attorney Investigations 2 but since it is ineligible my SOTY of the year goes to the equally amazing OST of LOS2. Óscar Araujo already impressed me with his score for Lords Of Shadow in 2010 and remained one of my favourite game composer ever since.

The most well known track probably is The Titan and Araujo certainly composes great Titan themes!

My favourite track from the soundtrack is Descent To The Castle Dungeons which completely blew my mind when it first appeared during my playthrough. It perfectly epitomizes a major element of this game, the exploration of the castle and the reference cue to "Marie" from LoS1 beautifully activates the "feels" from the first game before the climax of the track kicks in. A fantastic way to convey the sensation of a Castlevania adventure!

Hunter And Prey
is pretty amazing too! They played this track with their damn fiddles!

46OCQ3W.png

2. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
In the beginning I was sceptic whether or not the new orchestration could work but it did! It works really well with the updated graphics and I have fallen in love with some of the tracks. Uematsu and Hamauzu did a great job back then.

Spira Unplugged - Love this one. Final Fantasy has a thing for big dramatical orchestrated themes, this one is just "simple and clean".

Hymn of the Fayth - something spiritual for a change. A song that returns every now and then in different versions over the course of the game. Instant Trance Mode while listening to it.

Movement In Green - Love the playful, venetian nature of this track.

KRHKBPa.png

3. The Wolf Among Us
Surprise soundtrack of the year for me by Jared Emerson-Johnson!
Opening Credits This one track from The Wolf Among Us is especially cool, very fitting to create an atmosphere of mystery and suspense at the beginning of a chapter.

Bigby's Place - A sweet melancholic track with a badass synth bass, really inviting and atmospheric.

Crane's Business Office - A track similar to Bigby's Place, sounding slightly more formal, wrapped up with a nice upbeat melody.

LTTP- Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth (Prosecutor's Path).

Now for my stealth SOTY. :p

Re3o3jX.png

Noriyuki Iwadare.. for sure, a true master of his craft, I'm a big fan of the AAI1 and T&T OST but AAI2 is now my favorite. There are so many exceptional themes in this OST, I don't even know where to begin.
The best thing would be for you to just listen to the whole damn soundtrack right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX4aNNVgJts&list=PL3EDBB8487C9EB794

My personal track of the year:

Gregory Edgeworth - A Defense Attorney's Knowledge

Without going knee deep into spoilers I'd just like to point out that I think that for everyone who has played all games in the series, the moment this theme kicks must have made it hard for some to not get excited. Everyone familiar with Miles' theme will learn to love this one since they both share similar traits(for obvious reasons) and complement each other. Listen closely to both themes in a row, you will be surprised. Of course, it's an immensely badass theme in its own right, calm yet glorious, fitting for a character with the professional cunning of Gregory Edgeworth! It is also a reflection of a main plot theme.

Miles Edgeworth - Objection! 2011
The game's main theme is impressive as well, very energetic and exciting, used only during the most delicate scenes.

Love the saxophone solo starting at 1:06, it's a really nice touch.

Investigation - Middlegame 2011
I'm also really happy with the investigation themes.

Bonds ~ A Heart that Believes
Feel good with this "feels" good track.

Nocturnowl basically has a similar list to mine but also explained his choices better than I ever could, and I actually just remembered that I've yet to post my own list. Got confused with the GOTY thread making me think I already have.
Same top 3 albeit with a different order, between this and the smash threads showing similar opinions you can have my GAF newcomer of the year award tinged with mighty bias.

I utterly suck at describing what I feel with music, English not being my native language probably doesn't help, and Nocturnowl did such a great post with a kind of similar ranking to mine that I feel like I shouldn't even try. Sounds cheap and I feel bad, but I hope it's ok.
I'll still try again in a few days to see if I can input something decent.
I'm glad that my words can have that use as talking music can be troublesome, still if you can think of anything to add no matter how small that'd be neat.

Christ, I'm loving these posts in here and it's a huge bummer that I'm so sick this week that instead of responding to them, I'm napping instead. :(

Really love the effort that people are putting in this time around even if it's adding links to VGM in their post. It makes it easier for people to check new stuff out. As for the people who I expected to put effort into their posts, I enjoyed reading them a lot. I just don't stay up long enough to write up decent responses to them and I really really really want to. :(

Yes, I even enjoyed reading yours, Owl. :p
And I thought my Christmas Cold was a pretty naff gift to unwrap that morning, guess it could've been worse.
In the meantime I'm realising that I have more LttP soundtrack contenders this year than I thought, you wont mind me throwing one up for the vote and then me just carping on about the others outside of that right?

I thought "Reserved" was the newest hottest game on the block that I didn't know about since I haven't been around for a while.

Gotta reorganize that spreadsheet.
See I can't tell if you're joking or not about this.

Anyway as a stopgap to my LttP decisions I was thinking that this year saw a ton of Nintendo remixes, from obvious candidates like Smash to those not so obvious like Mario Golf. Personally I don't put votes towards soundtracks that lean too heavily on remixes but for fun I think I'll throw out some of my favourite trips down memory lane courtesy of the Big N mining my nostalgia, the dastards.

2014 Nintendo Remix Selection
Mario Golf World Tour: Yoshi Lake
Funnily enough some of my favourite Motoi Sakuraba tracks come from his golfing OSTs, they tend to be pretty pleasant.
The more distinctly Mario themed courses have remixed music that on occasion revisited some more unexpected tracks such as Peach Gardens (Mario Kart DS) and Honeyhive Galaxy which was nice.
But the one that pleased me the most was this return to Yoshi's Story and what its title theme would sound like without the Yoshi warbling, it's nice to be reminded that not every track from YS followed from that other main theme.

Kirby Triple Deluxe: Silver Snow Story
I support them taking quite possibly my favourite track from Kirby Superstar and making it into a nice wintry theme.
Also Coo's theme which I only discovered the joy of playing Dreamland 2 this year.

Hyrule Warriors: Skyloft
The powers of obligatory musou style rock can be applied to even a calm town theme like Skyloft and inject it with an energetic kick suitable for a mass moblin massacre. The transition into Ballad of the Goddess is nicely done as well.
I also feel the need to mention that they took the hidden skill theme from Twilight Princess and spruced it up, quite an unexpected choice but it really fits its purpose for pre mission narration, you know for that intense plot a musou Zelda game houses within.
Actually this game has some solid new themes as well, I expected to see it pop up a bit more in this thread.

Mario Kart 8: GCN Sherbet Land
Let it be known that I actually dug Double Dash's penchant for shoving whistling everywhere it could get away with (pretty much all I really remember about its music actually) so I'm glad that it still made the transition here, yeah Moo Moo Meadows is the stand out retro music track but I'll always have a soft spot for the peppy Sherbet Land theme.

Currently playing through Pokemon Omega Ruby, admittedly I haven't come across any truly notable remixes so far (I haven't exactly gelled with the shift in sound style now the series has hit 3DS) but hey I'll always dig Route 110, doesn't feel right without those GBA horns though.

For Super Smash Bros I want to say that I feel similarly to BorkBork that on the whole for a game that crams in 437 odd tracks there's actually something pretty dang underwhelming about how SSB Wii U handled its music. Be it not nearly as many new remixes as I'd have liked, an absolute ton of redundancy in track selections throughout (most egregiously there's like 8 versions of DK Island Swing in here taking up the DK selection) and some series getting completely shafted on new remixes (notably Wario and F-Zero) while the biggest series get preferential treatment. Also the sudden decree that every mix must be 2 minutes leading to some other tracks getting sliced and diced, even those from Melee like Pollyana and the DK Rap get cut short.
Still I can't deny that there's some great stuff in here, to highlight some of my favourites...

N's Castle Medley
I always knew the credits theme from Black/White would make a perfect battle theme, a shame it couldn't get a full remix to itself but the moody N's Castle theme before it turns up more than pulls its weight so I ain't even mad.

Full Steam Ahead
If Spirit Tracks were in the old west, or maybe Wild Arms seeing the composer.

Air Man Stage
Iwadare is the man (check Mr. RHC's post for more evidence), funked out, jazzed out, maxed out Air Man.

Kapp'n's Song
I think this one takes the pleasant surprise crown, never would've pegged this simple sea shanty to ascend to the next level through the powers of Skapp'n.

The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley
I don't think this theme lets up once during its 2 minute run, it just keeps on going flowing through its medley with such energy.

Quick Man Stage
Heck yeah Quick Man stage, a favourite of mine from MM2 and as a bonus they threw in Heat Man's theme as well.

Fight 1 (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
Starts off simply okay then after a minute or so Yamane just shoots off into that Castlevania style of hers that I'm not even sure is a remix of anything in particular here which regardless was really the best possible result and exactly what I wanted.

Donkey Kong Country Returns Vocal Mix
Really this is something of a mess, like Yamamoto straight up took the existing theme from Returns and layered ape grunts and a funky guitar on top of it. Somehow it works just don't expect me to explain how it works.

I'll resist the urge to throw in another Tropical Freeze remix, anyway it was a fun year for old Nintendo tracks as well as new ones is the angle I'm driving at here.

Mr. RHC

I'd love to comment on some of your thoughts, especially on Donkey Kong Country but I haven't played it yet.
I envy that some of you can listen and enjoy a soundtrack without playing the game, I need to see some scenes at least or complete the game entirely to get the idea.

But I took notice of some of your choices, still!

HM: Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
This is a strange choice for me because as a whole the soundtrack is simply okay at doing its job of being a movie style OST of grandiosity and not altogether particularly memorable.
But there are points in the score for LoS2 where Oscar Araujo nails it and the swelling orchestra serves its purpose well to strengthen the gothic atmosphere of the wintry castle and desolate city.
A small handful of tracks have been regulars for me this year and even if I don’t rate the whole soundtrack I can’t just ignore them so easily.
Dying for a Drop of Blood is my standout track that I’d go as far to rank up there with some of my series favourites, a track all about the slow build up and a strong payoff.
Return to the Castle blends in some subtle electronic elements to the usual orchestration which is a nice touch that crops up in other places within the soundtrack.
It’s a shame that the full soundtrack never quite comes together (story of the LoS saga right there) but there’s still some of the series spirit within the movie score style so it's a slight shame to see the music so swiftly and heavily dismissed by some.

Excellent LTTP choice! Dying for a Drop of Blood is forever stuck in my head for sure, after watching the trailer countless times, haha! The choir is hype, too!

Narrowing this list down took much longer than I care to admit.

1. Child of Light - Cœur de pirate did a masterful job of with the music for Child of Light. Every track fits perfectly within the game. Definitely the most beautiful soundtrack of 2014 in my opinion.

2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - The soundtracks for the first two games were phenomenal. The music for the final entry in the trilogy is just as good if not better. Easily one of my favorites of 2014.

3. Killer Instinct Season Two - I was a bit conflicted about putting this on the list since so few tracks have been released but Mick Gordon has done such a fantastic job so far this season that it just deserves the recognition.

Honorable Mentions

Dragon Age: Inquisition - While it didn't have as big of an impact on me as the ones above, Inquisition's soundtrack is still incredibly solid.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Another great soundtrack of 2014 but also one that I felt was a bit inconsistent. Even still, there were some outstanding tracks on this one.

My votes are coming from a bit of a thin perspective - only PS4 games, sorry. That being said, I'm a sucker for main menu music that sets the tone before you even start playing. Here are my votes.

1. Child of Light

Just beutifull all around and sets so well in the overall art direction the game has going.

Song of Aurora https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6IPtRIDzoA

2. Infamous: Second Son

Really catches the wibe of a near-future slightly dystopian urban setting, with a bit of Seattle echoes

Alibi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZNEiw-hRs

3. Destiny

Textbook epic action music, nothing new but pretty great and fitting.

"main menu" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKfd5EKBtI

Honourable mention: The Lords of the Fallen main theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm5PQtVpjVA

LoTF does not have that much emphasis on music, and I haven't found any other tracks to stick but this one. Every time I start the game I have to spend a few minutes listening to this.

I'm not very knowledgeable on music, so you can't really expect me to go in-depth, or be even be entirely accurate. All I know is that for video games the most important parts of music is to set the scene, punctuate what just transpired, and accent whatever that is about to happen. Those are the criteria that I'm going by.

ALI2K9h.png

I'm not a huge fan of the SNES Donkey Kong games, but I did always have an appreciation of their music. They were pieces that made such good use of the hardware that I just couldn't imagine them working with any other, potentially better instrumentation. That's the bar the series had set, and through the dark aural blood sacrifices, they met that bar and then some. The game struck a perfect balance between atmospheric and catchy, while never drawing too much focus to distract you from a challenging game. This is one of those soundtracks that I expect to see do well this year with the people that have played the game.

2. Half-Minute Hero 2: The Second Coming
l16SaJX.png

It's hard to describe an overall theme and style in this, as there is very little cohesion to be found here. They asked 20+ composers to make soothing and up-tempo symphonic rock, as the game only has two states: "Shit is going down" and "Shit just went down". The contrast between these is always colossal and impossible to ignore, but that's precisely what they intended. Since the game is pretty much one big time rush mode on a timer, you need to make it very clear when you're on or off the clock. They communicate this brilliantly through its music. The game travels through many themes, time periods, characters and cultural styles, and the soundtrack's diversity reflects on this. The one thing I noticed though is that the calmer pieces are rather simple in nature, but I think they work very well as a stress-relieving breather because of it.

While we're at it, the "I wish this wasn't in the game/in existence" award of the year goes to Theme of Yuja

3. Shovel Knight
sg0H7Nd.png

This one is going to depend a lot on whether you are into chiptune music. This game has no interest playing faux-retro and goes all in to blend in with its past-contemporaries. Shovel Knight captures the sound of that era not only very well, but also stomped its own footprint down while it was at it. Of all the games I listed, this is the one where I would miss its music the most. Having played a little bit without music on my 3DS last month showed me what a crucial part its music was to its overall package. I'm not saying this to diminish the rest of the game, but to highlight the importance of its soundtrack.

SONG OF THE YEAR

I'll be back later.
This almost made me do a spit take. It's absolutely atrocious, but I can't help but smile.

I'd love to comment on some of your thoughts, especially on Donkey Kong Country but I haven't played it yet.
I envy that some of you can listen and enjoy a soundtrack without playing the game, I need to see some scenes at least or complete the game entirely to get the idea.

But I took notice of some of your choices, still!

I don't think I'm likely to vote for something I haven't played myself, there was a bit of discussion earlier on in the thread on this point and I think that it's perfectly fine to do so, I personally just find a soundtrack resonates with me more with the added context of how it fits in with the game itself so I'm with you on that note.

Of course I'm still listening to the many examples in this thread which may influence future game purchases on the strength of their music.
With that in mind I feel like pointing out that Child of Light and Transistor strike a chord with me despite not having yet played either. Inevitably every year I end up missing out on a soundtrack that could have made my top 3 (Dustforce in 2012, Bastion in 2011) or my opinion on previous choices changes somewhat (feeling that I should've given Pokemon Black/White a nod also in 2011) so it never pans out perfectly with these lists, my Game of the Year lists fluctuate even more by comparison.

In any case regardless of how votes pan out I'll always enjoy following up on the choices in these threads, there's such a diverse variety of styles so it's always fun even for those titles you don't know much about.

No joke, last year the music from the seemingly annual Atelier title caught my attention quite strongly so I was kind of tempted, but I'm less likely to just dive in on JRPG games due to the time investment so I don't often follow up on that genre unfortunately ( but hey I did at least download the Etrian Odyssey IV demo in the wake of last years thread, it kicked my arse, thoroughly).

Falk

that puzzling face
I have a funny (and personally embarrassing) anecdote on that one actually.

I was playing Escha & Logy, this track popped up during a boss battle, and I was all "Wait a minute... this style sounds very familiar, down to the progressions, guitar arpeggios and shitty drum samples". Looked it up online, and sure enough, it's SHADE as a guest composer.

SHADE so happens to be one of the main guys who does (did? He might have resigned some time ago) music for Alicesoft eroge. I collected his stuff for the longest time, proselytizing how good that shit is (Assuming it was for some obscure JRPG, touhou or doujin bunch of stuff, etc.) Only in 2012 did I find out what kind of games Alicesoft made.

tl;dr Falk is expert at identifying hentai game music.

Really cool to finally hear his work in a game I've actually played though.

edit: Aw yeaaa, such a badass that he has #999 on vgmdb http://vgmdb.net/artist/999

Friend Falk I think you need to hear that previous SHADE music used in its original context to truly get a feel for it.
Then again I can't talk, I gave Katawa Shoujo a top 3 position in 2012 and I stand by that.

I'm not very knowledgeable on music, so you can't really expect me to go in-depth, or be even be entirely accurate. All I know is that for video games the most important parts of music is to set the scene, punctuate what just transpired, and accent whatever that is about to happen. Those are the criteria that I'm going by.

ALI2K9h.png

I'm not a huge fan of the SNES Donkey Kong games, but I did always have an appreciation of their music. They were pieces that made such good use of the hardware that I just couldn't imagine them working with any other, potentially better instrumentation. That's the bar the series had set, and through the dark aural blood sacrifices, they met that bar and then some. The game struck a perfect balance between atmospheric and catchy, while never drawing too much focus to distract you from a challenging game. This is one of those soundtracks that I expect to see do well this year with the people that have played the game.

2. Half-Minute Hero 2: The Second Coming
l16SaJX.png

It's hard to describe an overall theme and style in this, as there is very little cohesion to be found here. They asked 20+ composers to make soothing and up-tempo symphonic rock, as the game only has two states: "Shit is going down" and "Shit just went down". The contrast between these is always colossal and impossible to ignore, but that's precisely what they intended. Since the game is pretty much one big time rush mode on a timer, you need to make it very clear when you're on or off the clock. They communicate this brilliantly through its music. The game travels through many themes, time periods, characters and cultural styles, and the soundtrack's diversity reflects on this. The one thing I noticed though is that the calmer pieces are rather simple in nature, but I think they work very well as a stress-relieving breather because of it.

While we're at it, the "I wish this wasn't in the game/in existence" award of the year goes to Theme of Yuja

3. Shovel Knight
sg0H7Nd.png

This one is going to depend a lot on whether you are into chiptune music. This game has no interest playing faux-retro and goes all in to blend in with its past-contemporaries. Shovel Knight captures the sound of that era not only very well, but also stomped its own footprint down while it was at it. Of all the games I listed, this is the one where I would miss its music the most. Having played a little bit without music on my 3DS last month showed me what a crucial part its music was to its overall package. I'm not saying this to diminish the rest of the game, but to highlight the importance of its soundtrack.

This almost made me do a spit take. It's absolutely atrocious, but I can't help but smile.

TWENTY?!?! ahahaha, that's insane. It's like those early 00s Megaman games or Makai Kingdom. I'll have to check this out.

Nert

It's heartwarming to see so many wonderful posts in this thread. Thank you for all of your work to keep things running smoothly this year, Dark Schala and GhaleonQ!

I hope to contribute more over the course of the next week or so. For now, I have one quick recommendation for a soundtrack that hasn't been mentioned here yet: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

iw29lWdQLaseI.png

Adapting to the change of scenery in this new entry to the franchise, Jesper Kyd ditched the rustic guitars and embraced a fully electronic soundscape. A lot of the tracks here, including the excellent Habitat, are highly reminiscent of music from the original Mass Effect. He provides some interesting details on how he pieced everything together on his website:

Jesper Kyd said:
This is my first synthesizer score since Hitman: Contracts. However, it is completely different. There are no traces of real instruments, everything is made with analog synths, drum machines and old gaming consoles.

The music is my take on 1980s sci-fi music and electronic music and there’s everything from Commodore 64 and Sega Megadrive instruments to massive analog synths and vintage drum machines. It’s basically a headtrip through 1980s film inspired electronic synth scores with my own twist on that genre.

If any of this sounds up your alley, give it a listen!

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel does not sound like what I expected at all. It feels more serious and Mass Effect-y than what I associate with the series.
TWENTY?!?! ahahaha, that's insane. It's like those early 00s Megaman games or Makai Kingdom. I'll have to check this out.
Not 20 unknown cheap artists either. There are some rather big names credited to this game. Motoi Sakuraba (Tales/Valkyrie Profile/Baten Kaitos), Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms), Kumi Tanioka (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles), Kenji Ito (SaGa), Tetsuya Shibata (Devil May Cry), Yoshitaka Hirota (Shadow Hearts), Masaharu Iwata (Ogre Battle/Final Fantasy Tactics), Masashi Hamauzu (SaGa/modern Final Fantasy), Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts/Mario & Luigi/ Legend of Mana), Yoshino Aoki (Breath of Fire/Mega Man Battle Network),... The credit rolls, of which there are several, are often mostly musicians, which is pretty crazy. You can definitely spot the work some of them, such as Sakuraba and Shibata's. You don't even need to read their names to know they contributed.

Thoraxes

Well, I have a list of about 10 games. Now to narrow that number down and do some hardcore listening to the full soundtracks of each game to make a choice. I may even do some dictation and theory analysis of my favorites, provided I actually have time to make little scores. Gonna be hard to with work though :(

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel does not sound like what I expected at all. It feels more serious and Mass Effect-y than what I associate with the series.

Not 20 unknown cheap artists either. There are some rather big names credited to this game. Motoi Sakuraba (Tales/Valkyrie Profile/Baten Kaitos), Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms), Kumi Tanioka (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles), Kenji Ito (SaGa), Tetsuya Shibata (Devil May Cry), Yoshitaka Hirota (Shadow Hearts), Masaharu Iwata (Ogre Battle/Final Fantasy Tactics), Masashi Hamauzu (SaGa/modern Final Fantasy), Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts/Mario & Luigi/ Legend of Mana), Yoshino Aoki (Breath of Fire/Mega Man Battle Network),... The credit rolls, of which there are several, are often mostly musicians, which is pretty crazy. You can definitely spot the work some of them, such as Sakuraba and Shibata's. You don't even need to read their names to know they contributed.

I am so there, dude.

randomkid

I am so there, dude.

The Ito shade!

In any case, great posts from all the usuals in this thread, but you guys shouldn't sleep on that Tomodachi Life.

Specifically, the many easy listening jams of the compatability music, wish I could find more of em on Youtube, they're all so hot and my favorites are missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L8zcOQtMTk&list=PLbJrzshzDd44gMUzakMi7F1yQV7gzQQES&index=12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDP3sFSPTo&list=PLbO7o7XXeQA80jN_wyCjiryGshkzhR0DD&index=8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02WMVWjaBtE

The Ito shade!

In any case, great posts from all the usuals in this thread, but you guys shouldn't sleep on that Tomodachi Life.

Specifically, the many easy listening jams of the compatability music, wish I could find more of em on Youtube, they're all so hot and my favorites are missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L8zcOQtMTk&list=PLbJrzshzDd44gMUzakMi7F1yQV7gzQQES&index=12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDP3sFSPTo&list=PLbO7o7XXeQA80jN_wyCjiryGshkzhR0DD&index=8

No shade, he's just not in the league of the bolded in my personal tastes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's heartwarming to see so many wonderful posts in this thread. Thank you for all of your work to keep things running smoothly this year, Dark Schala and GhaleonQ!

I hope to contribute more over the course of the next week or so. For now, I have one quick recommendation for a soundtrack that hasn't been mentioned here yet: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
Thanks. I would've done more of these but I came down with a crappy cold last week and it still hasn't gone away. Looking forward to what you have to say, Nert. You're always welcome to suggest anything, too! :D

you guys shouldn't sleep on that Tomodachi Life.

Still a bit groggy, but I wanted to single this out right here right now before I forget to do it.

I'm glad someone brought this soundtrack up because I've been really digging it since the game came out. It may not reach the orchestrated highs of a jdk band, and it may not sound super-melodic in practice, but I think it works in and out of context very very well.

I'll fully admit that I play Tomodachi Life every day, and while that may enact some sort of bias on my part, I can't help but to feel like the soundtrack is well-composed and catchy enough to be hummable. Much like its semi-counterpart, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, it boasts a myriad of tunes, a lot of which aren't probably going to be heard by folks playing it for a few months and forgetting about it or playing it at certain hours of the day. Like, I was surprised to hear holiday jamz a week ago when I turned the game on. Even the holiday jams in the store is the same garbage that you don't wanna hear anymore during shopping sprees in real life. The vacation themes just make me laugh, especially Hawaii, the jazzy-ass USA, Cambodia, and France. It's exactly what you'd expect to envision when you're looking to vacation in those countries, or maybe even the exact opposite. Tomodachi Life's soundtrack goes hand-in-hand with the game's humour, but also doesn't miss a beat out of context. The samples can be out there, and sometimes you think that it's so cliched to the point of cheesiness, but that's the point! That's exactly the point of Tomodachi Life's music and it works in a lot of situations.

A lot of the more interesting tunage is stuck in the ratings board area in the game, but randomkid already went into that. He picked some good stuff, so I'd recommend that people listen to those. I also find that lot of the sillier stuff is super-hummable out of context and applicable enough for background noise if I'm studying like the Food Mart theme. Or the Import Shop has a strange synth-based tune that's more applicable for test-taking, but there you go. Even the Super Furious at your Buddy music is hilarious, and the Magic Show theme is so filled with pomp and circumstance instrumentation that I can't help but to chuckle at it but still find it catchy. The Photo Booth theme sounds like it's right out of 1950s/early 1960s TV or early Disney movies, and it's super-enjoyable to listen to.

While a lot of the tunes are variations on the same melody, it still manages to sound different and catchy enough to not feel out of place outside of its original context.

Like randomkid said, a lot of my favourite stuff is missing from the playlist but that goes back to what I said about the soundtrack being so expansive that you don't really see good complete rips of the soundtrack until a year or so after the fact.

tl;dr Falk is expert at identifying hentai game music.
DULY NOTED, GENTLEMAN.

Falk

that puzzling face
DULY NOTED, GENTLEMAN.

I'm quite glad the issue of playing games without listening to the soundtrack came up much earlier in the thread so it doesn't look like I'm bringing it up in my defense.

edit: I mean, listening to soundtracks without playing the game. W T F

(Leaving pre-edit in there for hilarity because I actually have a sense of humor)

Lilo_D

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze need a reason?
2. Bravely Default best jrpg ost after Xenoblade, the best final boss theme.
3. Mario Kart 8

Tomodachi Life has the most Earthbound-y soundtrack I've heard since Earthbound going by what I find in this thread. I wonder if that's the mix of jazzy influences and stereotypical sounding tunes. I must admit I sort of expected a game like that to phone it in, so these clips catch me a bit off guard.

I'm quite glad the issue of playing games without listening to the soundtrack came up much earlier in the thread so it doesn't look like I'm bringing it up in my defense.

edit: I mean, listening to soundtracks without playing the game. W T F

(Leaving pre-edit in there for hilarity because I actually have a sense of humor)

This reminds me, I still need to go after Kikuta's work when he was out in the wilderness after Koudelka via this methodology as well.

1. Bravely Default
This has pretty much everything I look for in an RPG soundtrack. Almost all of the music is memorable and the battle tracks are especially fantastic.
That Person's Name Is
Horizon of Light and Shadow
You Are My Hope
Ship Soaring Through the Heavens
Wicked Battle
Wicked Flight
Serpent Eating the Ground

2. Mario Kart 8
I wasn't expecting too much from this game's soundtrack, but when I finally started playing I was incredibly surprised. I love how vibrant and lively all of the music sounds.
Mario Kart Stadium
Toad Harbor
Dolphin Shoals
Moo Moo Meadows
Cloudtop Cruise
Bowser's Castle

That's not even going into the DLC tracks which I sort of want to link everything for, but I'll just post the two obvious ones.
Mute City
Hyrule Circuit

3. Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
I had trouble going with this or Super Smash Bros. since both soundtracks mostly contain remixes, but I ultimately decided to go with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. The original Ruby and Sapphire had a fantastic soundtrack and with one or two small exceptions I think the remade tracks are quite well done.
Rivals May and Brendan Battle
Gym Leader Battle
Slateport City
Bicycle
Verdanturf Town
Team Magma & Aqua Leader Battle
Southern Island
Lilycove City
Primal Groudon & Primal Kyogre Battle
Ever Grande City
Deoxys Battle

What stands out the most to me, however, are the games' original compositions.
Soaring Dreams
Soaring Mirages
Rival's Theme (Wally Battle)
Those Who Inherit Eternity (Zinnia's Theme)
A Meteor Elegy
Lorekeeper Zinnia Battle

Honorable Mention: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
At first I assumed Smash would get the number 3 spot, but the more I thought about it, the more I gravitated towards Omega Ruby. While Smash has plenty of new tracks and remixes, a lot of them are also directly pulled from Brawl or the original games in question. The new remixes and tracks sound great, but I don't seem to be remembering quite as many as I did with Brawl. That being said, there are still plenty of gems.
Final Destination Ver. 2
Route 10
Mega Man 2 Medley
Super Mario World Medley
Spark Man Stage
Ballad of the Goddess / Ghirahim's Theme
Air Man Stage
N's Castle Medley
Cut Man Stage
Menu (Melee) Ver. 2

Currently playing through Pokemon Omega Ruby, admittedly I haven't come across any truly notable remixes so far (I haven't exactly gelled with the shift in sound style now the series has hit 3DS) but hey I'll always dig Route 110, doesn't feel right without those GBA horns though.

I'm almost through the game and there's only a couple remixes/rearrangements I found myself truly liking. They're really good though

Route 113 actually manages to sound a LOOOOOOT better than the GBA version IMO which is not common for these remakes
Fortree City surprised the hell out of me when I got there. Way more chill than I remembered or expected.
Abandoned Ship is as amazing as ever
Team Hideout is the best rendition of the best Team song. Gives you the feeling you're dealing with some underhanded punks

I haaaaaated the music in ORAS when I first picked it up. It really grows on ya

Top Bottom