• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's PC Gaming Hall of Fame List

Grayman

Great work on the lists so far kswiston. If it is not too much trouble does adding other Lucas Arts adventures to the Monkey Island series make a large difference? I picked Full Throttle and I noticed Indy, DOTT, Sam and Max, and Grim Fandingo all got mentions along with the Monkey Island games.

This has been a very good representation of PC gaming so far.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I don't know if this is too late, but I thought I'd throw in my own list. This is just the games that really stick out for me as being amazing and/or a lot of fun. I'm going to try to avoid as many of the big names (Doom, etc.) as possible, as they've already been mentioned.

1. Ultima Underworld/Underworld 2 - Staggeringly advanced FPS/RPG hybrid.
2. Syndicate - Violent, cathartic, dark, and utterly brilliant.
3. Rockstar - Wizard's hilarious text-based rock star sim almost defies description. Funny and clever.
4. Star Control 2 - Perhaps the most beautifully written game ever created.
5. Commander Keen (1-6) - Nintendo had Mario. We had Commander Keen. I preferred the latter.
6. Moraff's Blast - A psychedelic re-imagining of 'Breakout'. Hours wasted.
7. Space Hulk - Games Workshop comes to life, with a dash of 'Aliens'. Tense, nerve wracking stuff.
8. Flashback - Still, in my opinion, the greatest platform game ever made. Delphine's masterpiece.
9. ZZT - Epic's level creator and scripting language took years of my childhood away from me. Wouldn't have had it any other way.
10. Carmageddon - Pure fun alchemised into binary.

delta25

Banned
where the hell are all the great lucasarts games of the 90's

Here's my vote

scummvm_0_9_0-full.png

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say, will older games like Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 or Fallout 1 + 2 or KOTOR 1 + 2 or Diablo 2 are playable in Windows 7 when they are installed from the original install disks...?

Internet downloading like from GOG is, unfortunately, not possible for me.

Anyone can answer this?

i don't get the hating on xen. why?

you got brilliant level design for 95% of the game, can you not just let them use the last 5% of the game to turn your mind upside down to serve the story.

personally i thought xen was pretty sweet, yeh it came out of the blue, but i kind of like it when games surprise me like that, especially in games as fantastic as half-life.

Grayman

Laughing Banana said:
Say, will older games like Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 or Fallout 1 + 2 or KOTOR 1 + 2 or Diablo 2 are playable in Windows 7 when they are installed from the original install disks...?

Anyone can answer this?
Do you only have access to the original disk? Whenever I played Fallout 1 and 2 from the discs I used some of the engine hacks and things to get the right resolution and have the screen not spaz out.

In the case of fallout 1/2 they will run but videos will have colour problems and once in awhile the screen blacks out and you need to paint it in with your mouse. That was a problem even in XP.

Grayman

gblues said:
Why list Morrowind and Oblivion, and leave out Arena and Daggerfall, both of which are available for free from Bethesda?

http://elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/
http://elderscrolls.com/arena/
People voted for the games they liked the most and preferred the newer installments or have not played the older ones at all. Being free can be a good selling point but it does not make a game better, especially when the games are made free years after the release of their sequels.

gblues

Banned
Laughing Banana said:

Anyone can answer this?

I just installed Baldur's Gate 2 the other day and it didn't have any installation problems. I think Fallout 1 works, but IIRC the setup program freaks out when run under Windows NT (since NT4.0 never got DirectX). I think running setup in compatibility mode does the trick.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Grayman said:
Do you only have access to the original disk? Whenever I played Fallout 1 and 2 from the discs I used some of the engine hacks and things to get the right resolution and have the screen not spaz out.

In the case of fallout 1/2 they will run but videos will have colour problems and once in awhile the screen blacks out and you need to paint it in with your mouse. That was a problem even in XP.

gblues said:
I just installed Baldur's Gate 2 the other day and it didn't have any installation problems. I think Fallout 1 works, but IIRC the setup program freaks out when run under Windows NT (since NT4.0 never got DirectX). I think running setup in compatibility mode does the trick.

Thank you for the reply, both of you :) Actually BG II is the one I really want to play the most, so hearing that it's working out is great--kind of bummed out about Fallout 1 + 2 but I suppose there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm just doing light gaming on my ASUS 1215B and I am on the hunt for some old PC games... Neverwinter Night works okay, though I am not sure if Neverwinter Night 2 will work. Will the original Deus Ex works okay with Windows 7 with original install disk? I also want to try KOTOR 1 + 2, Jade Empire, and Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction.

I'm gonna hunt some other games too like maybe Serious Sam 1 + 2, Age of Empire series, Command and Conquer series, maybe Heroes of Might and Magic (had some very fond memories with number 2 and 4), maybe Sim 1 + 2... perhaps also 3 if my 1215B can handle it, hahaha.

Trouble is, Internet downloading services like GOG or STEAM are impossible where I live... so I gotta hunt for some install disks. It should be fun! Hahaha.

Grayman

If you are able to do a small download you can get

Fallout 1: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1273 469KB
Fallout 2: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sfall/

a source of information that can help with running games on modern systems is in the GOG thread but applicable to all versions of the games http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24328015

You could also look into DOSbox if you had older editions of the fallout discs but I don't know how well that would work or not.

gaspar

Banned
Great job. This is a very good list.

Just one small error to point out:
kswiston said:
DOTA, a custom map for Warcraft 3 helped to establish and popularize the Tower Defense genre.

Warcraft 3 did establish and popularize tower defense, through several popular tower defense maps.

However, DoTA is not a tower defense, it a a separate genera that also became popularized by warcraft 3 custom maps.

DoTA is a "MOBA" (multiplayer online battle arena) genera game (term coined by Riot Games).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota_%28genre%29

Of course, DoTA (and WC3) is responsible for popularizing the "MOBA" genera as well.

In Tower defense you build towers to kill minions before they reach your base.

In MOBA you control a hero with the object of destroying the enemy base.

hope that helps

FStop7

Banned
Starcraft series
Fallout series
Diablo series
Falcon 3.0 and 4.0
Wing Commander 1 and 2
X-COM: UFO Defense
Planescape: Torment
Ultima I - VII
Zork