• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyful

What's your guys favorite EVA unit? Mine would be for 00 for the blue color scheme alone
latest

eva 2.22/3.33 spoils
the mark 6 has the coolest look,well, in the preview anyway

TV broadcast when i was, uh, 10 i think. Someone thought it was a good idea to put it in the kid's cartoons block. Took me five years to watch it again.

Where did you guys first discover EVA?

For me, it was on Adult swim.

It was the late 1990's, dad got a portable DVD player, sis bought DVDs of anime, namely the first volume of Evangelion and the Samurai X OVAs. I devoured the Samurai X OVAs first (I was a kid, liked samurai stuff, had NO idea what I was getting into XD) and then caught the one DVD of Evangelion.

That first volume DVD only had the first 4 episodes, which tackled the first 2 Angels and ended on Shinji's first time out of the apartment before coming back, it was certainly interesting. Even back then it was clear from the beginning that it wasn't the typical giant robot stuff. I was a broke kid back then and sis never ended up buying the rest of the DVDs, so I just absorbed knowledge of the rest of the series via Internet Osmosis, as you do.

No. Rei is crucial to the story and "lore". Asuka's importance is in her character and relationship with the main character Shinji, which has a more lasting effect.
I always had a problem with how Asuke treated Shinji. She made that friendship so difficult. She just kept lashing out at the guy cause she couldn't process her own problems. She always just talked down to people and seemed to hold grudges. I mean Rei is what Rei is, but at some point even she confronted her problems. Asuka had a similar problem that Shinji did and just kept running away from hers. They both had feelings for Shinji but Rei just seemed to work through them in a fashion that wasn't detrimental towards their actual relationship.

I blind bought it cause of word of mouth.

Muffdraul

In late 1997 I was reading a fanzine called Giant Robot, and I saw an ad in the back for a JP import toy shop with a photo of FFVII action figures. I ended up going to that store pretty regularly, I wish I could remember what it was called back then. (EDIT: Banzai Anime.) Ironically today it's the Giant Robot store, the guys who did the zine bought it. Anyway, one day I asked one of the clerks to recommend a good anime and he immediately said EVA and that was when I started watching it. I couldn't say exactly when that was, but there were four or five volumes on VHS available at the time i.e.the first 10 to 12 episodes. I remember how fucking excruciating it was waiting for the rest to come out.

Matsukaze

Back in 2002 or 2003, Toonami aired Giant Robots Week, where they got a couple episodes from several series to which they didn't have the full licenses and aired them in lieu of their normal programming for an hour a day. One of them was Evangelion. They aired episodes 1 and 2 (with minor censoring). L'il Matsukaze had never heard of NGE before and I was hooked as soon as I watched episode 1, then I tuned in the next day for episode 2. They only had those two episodes, though.

Then, the next year or so, I went to on-demand while bored one day and found that an anime network had several of the early Evangelion episodes. I watched those religiously. They were incredible. Every few weeks they would rotate out episodes and I would just watch the new ones like I was getting paid to do it until I had finally watched the entire series.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Why are there so many freaking EVA movies? does this thing have a ending yet or is the redux saga on going.

Depends on your perspective

Rebuild is it's own thing, so you can just say that it ended with EoE

Or the manga ending, which is basically the happy sunshine and rainbows ending version of EoE

Guess Who

Banned
Why are there so many freaking EVA movies? does this thing have a ending yet or is the redux saga on going.

Death and Rebirth was just a recap movie (Death) with the first bit of End of Evangelion (Rebirth).

End of Evangelion is basically the ending to the original series.

Rebuild - the currently ongoing movie series - is (kind of, arguably) its own new thing, made as a sort of successor/reimagining of the original series.

Death and Rebirth was just a recap movie (Death) with the first bit of End of Evangelion (Rebirth).

End of Evangelion is basically the ending to the original series.

Rebuild - the currently ongoing movie series - is (kind of, arguably) its own new thing, made as a sort of successor/reimagining of the original series.
Thanks. Always was confused after ending the series and the fall out thereafter do to the original ending back then. Boy was that crazy.

Subtitled VHS tapes that I painstakingly bought with my allowance one at a time back in the mid-1990s. I had a couple of friends who were into it too and we'd swap opinions and theories, it was fun times.

Then I re-bought the series on on DVD in the 2000s and revisited the whole thing again. It was with an even greater understanding that time and this is where EVA really catapulted into my short list of favorite anime ever (where it sits alongside Kimagure Orange Road, which takes honors for completely different reasons).

I also watched Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 in...2009, I think...when I was over in Asia and found it amazing, but I sorta fell off the wagon since then. I should really go through all of the re-imaginings once 4.0 is out and soak it back up. It's just so good.

Edit: to add that Shirō Sagisu's score for the series (and the rebuild) are God-tier soundtracks across all media.

NeOak

Subtitled VHS tapes that I painstakingly bought with my allowance one at a time back in the mid-1990s. I had a couple of friends who were into it too and we'd swap opinions and theories, it was fun times.

Then I re-bought the series on on DVD in the 2000s and revisited the whole thing again. It was with an even greater understanding that time and this is where EVA really catapulted into my short list of favorite anime ever (where it sits alongside Kimagure Orange Road, which takes honors for completely different reasons).

I also watched Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 in...2009, I think...when I was over in Asia and found it amazing, but I sorta fell off the wagon since then. I should really go through all of the re-imaginings once 4.0 is out and soak it back up. It's just so good.

Edit: to add that Shirō Sagisu's score for the series (and the rebuild) are God-tier soundtracks across all media.

Prepare your anus when you are about to watch 3.33 then.

Mobius 1

So what's the story with episodes 25 and 26? How'd those end up with no budget?

There are those who think that the show run out of budget around episode 17, and therefore the change in tone.

Others think it was simply a deliberate choice by Anno given his mental state and disgust for the anime otaku culture.

I like to think it was the latter.

NeOak

There are those who think that the show run out of budget around episode 17, and therefore the change in tone.

Others think it was simply a deliberate choice by Anno given his mental state and disgust for the anime otaku culture.

It is the latter. Anno does what Anno wants.

Old Gainax was hoarding money from the Evangelion success.

I read in an Anime publication that it was the latter. It talked about how his depression was getting the best of him by the end of the series and he just kinda phoned it in. Then afterwards he sort of just disappeared for awhile and nobody at the studio knew where.

Fj0823

I never realized how poorly 3.33 is received. I loved it!

I really liked it too but I can see how the abrupt change in tone and narration-style can turn people off.

Basically 3.33 was Anno betting everything in the conclusion, that he's not bothering to move from pre-production.

kamikaze

Anyone own any eva figures? Looking to get into them again.

the medicom real action hero figures are really nice if you're willing to spend more; it's like the ultimate posable eva figure. i just wish they were available in the late 90s when i first started buying them.

i think sega was the only one making figures in the 90s. they had limited posability and stiff joints but they were the only game in town. probably tough to track down now and they're not good quality so i wouldn't recommend them.

when xebec figures came around, i regretted collecting all the sega ones. they were created in much better poses and looked way better. the plastic stiffened a bit over the years (had to repair a few pieces) but these are pretty nice.

the various revoltech figures are pretty cool, too. smaller than the xebec stuff but super posable. i got the originals and then bought the newer yamaguchi ones. i think these are still being made so they might be a good quality figure that's readily available.

bandai's soul of chogokin figures are pretty nice. they're die-cast metal which gives them a nice look and heavy feel. they've got a lot of posable joints but because of their material, they didn't keep the pose well (too heavy). i just kept them standing upright in their launch platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom