• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Foxix Von

I don't even remember how to get a second mag to level :(
You just find them like any other item drop. They don't drop often, which is weird because they're technically not "rare."

I think there might also be a quest where you get one IIRC. Might be wrong though, it's been a long time.

Kadin

You just find them like any other item drop. They don't drop often, which is weird because they're technically not "rare."

I think there might also be a quest where you get one IIRC. Might be wrong though, it's been a long time.
Can also create a new char, take their mag and drop it in the common bank (type /bank) then withdraw on another character.

edit: b10

Zomba13

Has anyone been able to get DS4Windows working with this? I've tried on Win 7/10 without any luck whatsoever.

I'm using it on Win 7 with "hide DS4" setting (so it only shows up on my computer as a single X360 pad) and it's been fine. No changing what I normally do. Just make sure you have DS4Windows running before hand and the controller is plugged in before you launch the game.

Additional Info: I run the game windowed and from launcher.exe.

Dear GOD, Addicting Food is boring and nonsensical.

First you're supposed to do a full caves run, Solo, and then suddenly there's a giant cake van/mobile bakery in the deepest parts of a lava filled, monster infested cave network. Like.. WHAT?

Who are they going to sell to? Only hunters are supposed to be allowed on Ragol, are they just doing it for fun, or are they expecting average Pioneer 2 citizens to just fight through a fuckton of monsters to buy a fucking pavlova?

2792810-tumblr_lqwb2wKk4e1qcud1ho1_500.png

Zalusithix

First you're supposed to do a full caves run, Solo, and then suddenly there's a giant cake van/mobile bakery in the deepest parts of a lava filled, monster infested cave network. Like.. WHAT?

Who are they going to sell to? Only hunters are supposed to be allowed on Ragol, are they just doing it for fun, or are they expecting average Pioneer 2 citizens to just fight through a fuckton of monsters to buy a fucking pavlova?

A lot of the stuff in PSO is nonsensical. Don't try to take the game seriously... You're in line for a lot of headaches if you do.

Sophia

Has anyone been able to get DS4Windows working with this? I've tried on Win 7/10 without any luck whatsoever.

DS4Windows works fine here for me... but you should actually need DS4Windows or Input Mapper at all. The Dualshock 4 works natively in Phantasy Star Online.

thedan001

This is a tribute to older Phantasy Star games (in sega genesis)
They had traveling cake NPC's, they just ruined the experience in PSO with an off-putting caves run

I mean, I don't know about you, Muskie, but after multiple sprawling levels of trekking through probably the most boring environments in the game, fending off dozens of slavering abominations while running through hallways full of traps and avoiding death by slow, awkward crushing... I fuckin' want some cake.

Eoyote

Neo Member
I guess I should rephrase my question. For those using DS4Windows, is it allowing you to remap the buttons to keyboard shortcuts? It works fine out of the box, but I want to remap the buttons and trackpad to specific keys.

Foxix Von

I mean, I don't know about you, Muskie, but after multiple sprawling levels of trekking through probably the most boring environments in the game, fending off dozens of slavering abominations while running through hallways full of traps and avoiding death by slow, awkward crushing... I fuckin' want some cake.

I never knew people loathed caves so much. The dislike I've seen it receive around here is something I've never experienced.

Last night everyone vetoed even playing through it. I didn't really care, but I was certainly surprised a bit.

Why does everyone dislike it so much?

Crytis

Neo Member
I never knew people loathed caves so much. The dislike I've seen it receive around here is something I've never experienced.

Last night everyone vetoed even playing through it. I didn't really care, but I was certainly surprised a bit.

I dislike normal caves...you don't have anti unless you're lucky and you're most likely broke and weak. so you spend all your mesta getting through and de rol le rolls over you because you don't have anything to aoe.

I always thought mines would have been a better second level and make more sense as you're going from human created mines to caves to ruins...oh well

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Caves is long and slow. XP comes in at a dismal rate. The environment is boring until Caves 3.

Did I mention it's long as fuck? Because it's long as fuck.

The maze-y nature and general length means you'll likely have to backtrack a lot because you made one wrong turn. Mines and Ruins share this issue, but Caves is the worst (probably because it's the 2nd area in the game it feels like you're in it forever).

Sophia

It's a total pain in the ass due to the fact that poison and paralyze last like... forever. So if you're playing as a Human or Newman you basically have to stock up on a lot of items to counter that and not get hit. It's also a bit uninspiring compared to what comes before and after. It's also significantly longer than the first and third areas.

I imagine people who played CASTs on their first playthrough love it tho. No poison or paralyze for them. :p

Jackano

Yeah so I just reroll'd.
Getting into hard and realized myu ID was wrong for a RAmar. I also think because the server is more private, there will not be thousand of players to trade shit. And I need to be able to hunt myself the stuff I want.

So 38 levels and 15 hours in the trash, but because PSO like me, I got a red box (photon drop), in a box of forest 1 in like the 3rd room I played. Wow.

BasicMath

Rooms are huge with lots of nothing and overall boring. Lilys are a pain for non-casts and people who can't range them. Pan arms and dragons take awfully long of you don't know how to fight them.

That's all in normal-vhard. In ultimate it's that megid that requires 70edk that sucks for people.

I'm generally ok with Caves, though. The only place I don't like is jungle and seaside and that's mostly cmode trauma.

Justinh

Yeah so I just reroll'd.
Getting into hard and realized myu ID was wrong for a RAmar. I also think because the server is more private, there will not be thousand of players to trade shit. And I need to be able to hunt myself the stuff I want.

So 38 levels and 15 hours in the trash, but because PSO like me, I got a red box (photon drop), in a box of forest 1 in like the 3rd room I played. Wow.

Man, I was thinking about re-rolling a day or two ago, but I'm just gonna stick with it.
I'm having enough fun.
Apparently my ID isn't the worst for my character, even though it's a lot better if I were to add a space at the end, apparently.

newman929

Neo Member

For me it was mostly the length, there are a few annoying monsters (lillies, dragons, slimes) but I would be more OK with them if it weren't for the length. The music is also so soothing... I couldn't count the number of times I fell asleep playing through caves late at night back in the day.

Weapons that steal XP do so off the BASE XP, not the server boosted rates. :(

That explains my acute disappointment with the Master's Arms I picked up last night. (Although, what is the base XP for Hard Ruins monsters? 1 XP per hit seems very low even if it's going off the base value.)

Par Score

Forest and Mines are the most fun areas, and Ruins is fine because it's badass and most of the enemies aren't too annoying.

Caves has maze-y layouts, a bunch of super annoying enemies, is long as fuck, and has an asshole of a boss.

I always thought mines would have been a better second level and make more sense as you're going from human created mines to caves to ruins...oh well

Funny story, the original order was Forest / Mines / Caves / Ruins (you can sort of tell from a lore / creature design point of view) but they swapped 'em round toward the end of development.

Funny story, the original order was Forest / Mines / Caves / Ruins (you can sort of tell from a lore / creature design point of view) but they swapped 'em round toward the end of development.

I never knew this. But yeah, I always liked Mines better.

I'll just say that caves is boring as all get out. It's hard to do late night gaming in caves because sometimes I'll just fall asleep while running through the levels. It's almost as bad as the VR levels in Ep2.

N.A

Banned
NOTE: The server will be offline at 9am GMT tomorrow (August 15th) for a small fix. It should be down no longer than 30 minutes.

I haven't really progressed far in PSO so far but man, the music in this game is really good. Sonic Team really hit it out of the park with this one.

The character creation theme and shop theme is infectious.

I just logged on and for some reason all my sword weapons were gone only my guns were left. must be that items glitch you guys were talking about earlier.

ace3093

Neo Member
Is there an option to set rare pickups to random or red robin? I remember there was an option for this on the official game?

Just finished a Ruins run on Normal with a few of you, going to feed my mag for a bit while I watch the ball game, and pick up on Hard later.

This game is still incredible, I don't know how much of that is nostalgia, but damn, I don't care, I'm loving it.

gEbPI9P.jpg

Top Bottom