• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Javier

Why does Nintendo keep selling incomplete hardware? And why do people keep taking this shit? There's no power cable, just a USB cable. How do I power this thing then?

Nintendo just presumes I have a USB power brick lying around, just like they presume everyone has a 3DS charger. So done with this company.
Does your TV have USB entries? You can plug it there.

Nintendo underestimated demand, but this is not a limited edition.
I believe this as much as I believe moon landing or 9/11 conspiracies.

And to keep this from being a drive-by shit post, I don't have any facts to back up my viewpoint. Nintendo plays this card with so many hardware releases, yet the other console manufacturers have handled launches way better. Like, with preorders, for example.

Celcius

°Temp. member
My brother finally got one this morning, said his local Walmart had 24 in stock. Now I can stop searching. :) Maybe the Christmas craze is over now.

I believe this as much as I believe moon landing or 9/11 conspiracies.

And to keep this from being a drive-by shit post, I don't have any facts to back up my viewpoint. Nintendo plays this card with so many hardware releases, yet the other console manufacturers have handled launches way better. Like, with preorders, for example.

There is literally no reason to keep supplies of a product like this constrained and miss the entire holiday season.

Boke1879

There is literally no reason to keep supplies of a product like this constrained and miss the entire holiday season.

Then at the very least you're saying Nintendo is incompetent. Which is quite frankly a tired argument. This clearly isn't the first time they've been behind when it comes to something like this. The Wii and Amiibo are the first to spring to my mind.

For what it is. It's a relatively cheap product, clearly not hard to produce etc. At the very least you're saying Nintendo doesn't even know their own fanbase. There are clearly hundreds of thousands hell maybe even a couple million who would have bought this. It made no sense to produce less units here in NA than it did in Japan.

In reality they should have had preorders for Amazon, GameStop Best Buy etc.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
If you wanted to resell, you should have done it before Xmas.

Nintendo underestimated demand, but this is not a limited edition. As long as it keeps selling, they'll keep making.

Oddly I have a strange feeling this might be a limited edition thing then again you never know with Nintendo.

They sold 200,000+ units so it's not like they "missed" it. But I refer you to our overlord Tomonobu Itagaki's recent interview for some insight:

Source: http://www.polygon.com/features/201...-and-future-of-tomonobu-itagakis-devils-third
Itagaki talking about super-low print run on Devils Third said:
This is the case in any U.S. company, especially in the sales division; they always underestimate the sales performance. This way, when they sell over the low estimated sales, they can claim a higher percentage over estimated sales and request a bigger bonus accordingly. There is a typical tendency for this to happen. That's a fact, and it's a flaw in U.S. sales strategy.

Fact is, they can't go saying "here, make 500,000 units for launch" if they think they'll only sell 250,000. Or if their official projections say they'll sell between 150,000 and 200,000 units, it makes no sense to HQ for them to manufacture more than 150,000 initial units.

But they can estimate they'll sell 100,000 but still make 125,000 just to be "safe", and then when demand blows away their deliberately super-conservative internal projections, they can scramble to pump out some extra units and claim them all as "unanticipated demand" in order to request a bigger bonus from HQ..

But truthfully, we KNOW they knew demand was higher because retail people like me ordered way more than were shipped. They did this on purpose.

There's another aspect to this: they're selling these for $60 each, but its BOM is going to be waaaayyy higher than any single $60 Wii U game. Since it's more expensive to produce and a new product category for them, that is probably also a factor in why they were deliberately over-conservative.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
They sold 200,000+ units so it's not like they "missed" it. But I refer you to our overlord Tomonobu Itagaki's recent interview for some insight:

Source: http://www.polygon.com/features/201...-and-future-of-tomonobu-itagakis-devils-third

Fact is, they can't go saying "here, make 500,000 units for launch" if they think they'll only sell 250,000. Or if their official projections say they'll sell between 150,000 and 200,000 units, it makes no sense to HQ for them to manufacture more than 150,000 initial units.

But they can estimate they'll sell 100,000 but still make 125,000 just to be "safe", and then when demand blows away their deliberately super-conservative internal projections, they can scramble to pump out some extra units and claim them all as "unanticipated demand" in order to request a bigger bonus from HQ..

But truthfully, we KNOW they knew demand was higher because retail people like me ordered way more than were shipped. They did this on purpose.

There's another aspect to this: they're selling these for $60 each, but its BOM is going to be waaaayyy higher than any single $60 Wii U game. Since it's more expensive to produce and a new product category for them, that is probably also a factor in why they were deliberately over-conservative.

All true, but also just goes to show how poor their market research is. Other than doing a great job tabbing into a new huge market with the Wii and DS, they've really been out of touch with the gaming market post SNES.

-Carts instead of CDs for the N64

-Moving away from exclusive shooters after the N64 despite the huge growth in the genre on consoles and how popular Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok etc. were

-Proprietary discs instead of DVDs for the GCN, when DVD movies were becoming huge and helped move PS2s.

-Thinking the Wii U tablet would appeal to the tablet crowd, or that people in the west would care about offtv play in large numbers when we're mostly spoiled in houses with multiple TVs unlike the Japanese market that's shifted to portables and mobile

-Underestimating demand for Amiibo, NES Classic etc. Seriously, just announce new things earlier and take preorders way in advance to help gauge consumer demand before setting a production target.

checked my local Walmart today and they didn't have any...the space on the shelves was there but none in stock

looked online at the ebay price and lol...no

I'll just keep an eye out every now and then to try and get one eventually

crpav

checked my local Walmart today and they didn't have any...the space on the shelves was there but none in stock

Haha, I checked the local walmart last night and also noticed they finally have a space for it. It's a start right...

OmegaFax

I think it takes a little longer to load a game or suspend point when the CRT filter is turned on. There's a little extra overhead when that filter is enabled.

Probably imperceptible to 99.9% of people playing this thing but I'm constantly pushing the home button on my Classic Controller and abusing the hell out of save states.

I was also reading some of the early impressions and comments from nesdev regarding the emulation. The CRT mode does something to distort the audio. I sat and played the end of Super Mario Bros. 2 a couple of times with/without the filter and the CRT mode tends to bend/distort a few notes.

Then at the very least you're saying Nintendo is incompetent. Which is quite frankly a tired argument. This clearly isn't the first time they've been behind when it comes to something like this. The Wii and Amiibo are the first to spring to my mind.

For what it is. It's a relatively cheap product, clearly not hard to produce etc. At the very least you're saying Nintendo doesn't even know their own fanbase. There are clearly hundreds of thousands hell maybe even a couple million who would have bought this. It made no sense to produce less units here in NA than it did in Japan.

In reality they should have had preorders for Amazon, GameStop Best Buy etc.

This is Nintendo we are talking about right? Incompetence and not understanding their fanbase comes with the territory. Their inability to read market trends and understand even basic advertising has come back to bite them on numerous occasions.

Celine

But actual data don't support your statement about the Wii :p
The reason the Wii was supply constrained until 2009 was that demand was unprecedented.

CBDhUql.jpg

I think it takes a little longer to load a game or suspend point when the CRT filter is turned on. There's a little extra overhead when that filter is enabled.

Probably imperceptible to 99.9% of people playing this thing but I'm constantly pushing the home button on my Classic Controller and abusing the hell out of save states.

I was also reading some of the early impressions and comments from nesdev regarding the emulation. The CRT mode does something to distort the audio. I sat and played the end of Super Mario Bros. 2 a couple of times with/without the filter and the CRT mode tends to bend/distort a few notes.

Couldn't this be intentional?? I think to remember when playing my old Nes, that some sounds were odd at times. Maybe it emulates bad tv speakers. What type of distortion is it?

OmegaFax

Couldn't this be intentional?? I think to remember when playing my old Nes, that some sounds were odd at times. Maybe it emulates bad tv speakers. What type of distortion is it?

It's probably intentional. I just noticed that some of the impressions people were getting about the sound emulation were based on YouTube videos where the CRT filter was enabled.

I didn't hear any significant differences in the audio until I turned on the filter myself and that's when I went back to see what some people were talking about.

It's a nice touch because it does hollow out the music (very slight hall effect) and warp one or two notes (noticeable if you play the end credit scene for Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)) ...

Boke1879

But actual data don't support your statement about the Wii :p
The reason the Wii was supply constrained until 2009 was that demand was unprecedented.

All I'm saying is that this isn't the first time Nintendo has had a supply problems. The Wii gets a pass because yes it was a breakout hit and no one could have truly predicted that. But it still had supply issues.

This is just something that's being associated with Nintendo now and it's just not a good look.

I have noticed some distortion, chugging in World 7 of SMB3. Not sure if that's how it was in the original or if it's the limitations of the emulator on the NES Classic.

In other news, I'm in World 8 of SMB3 and I rage quitted yesterday because of how hard it is. How in the hell did people manage to beat the thing in one sitting, playing all the content, without saves back in the day.

I was at the end of World 7 thinking it was the last level, then I got to World 8 and the beginning area isn't really World 8, but a whole bunch of levels that are much harder than anything that has come before. I hate it, but it's brilliant. It's like a final test of all your skills. The proper level 1 of World 8 is also brutal.

I feel like I lost my game cred since I'm constantly saving. Also it's blowing my mind how easy I remember it being in my childhood to go to different Worlds.

This game really is a masterpiece. The gameplay philosophy reminds me of Dark Souls. In games back in the day were punishing. You would have to play them for months memorizing all the locations of enemies, obstacles. In that respect, games like the Souls series aren't doing anything new really. They are just going back to how games were back in the day.

Syriel

In other news, I'm in World 8 of SMB3 and I rage quitted yesterday because of how hard it is. How in the hell did people manage to beat the thing in one sitting, playing all the content, without saves back in the day.

Playthru 1 = use the damn pause button to take breaks.
Playthru 2-99 = use the damn whistles.

VexyWexy

We got literally 1 in today. Not even a full shipping case, just a singular NES Classic. Got a chuckle out of me to see it on the manifest. I'm hoping whoever bought it intends to actually play it and it wasn't a reseller.

DonMigs85

If there is ever a SNES Classic Edition I wonder how hard it'll be to get. Also if the US and PAL versions have the same games but different external shells, I'll be hard pressed to decide which to get.

If there is ever a SNES Classic Edition I wonder how hard it'll be to get. Also if the US and PAL versions have the same games but different external shells, I'll be hard pressed to decide which to get.

I really hope the SNES is able to let you download more games from the eshop.

Boke1879

If there is ever a SNES classic. I think there should be. Then Nintendo better learn from this and allow BB, GS and amazon to take preorders to avoid this situation.

nubbe

If the PAL version has 50Hz games because of the Germans, i won't buy that

We got literally 1 in today. Not even a full shipping case, just a singular NES Classic. Got a chuckle out of me to see it on the manifest. I'm hoping whoever bought it intends to actually play it and it wasn't a reseller.

I'm wanting to get one to actually play...at some point I'll be lucky enough and get one

just no telling how long "some point" may take

IMACOMPUTA

Which one did you get?

I'm also interested in setting up a retropie.

I know you didn't ask me, but I too gave up on the nes classic and went the RetroPie route.

I got the canakit with the heatsinks, case, and power supply. Also got 2 8bitdo sfc30's.
Took all of 10 minutes to get it up and running. Fantastic.
Might get a SNES case from Etsy or see if a friend can 3d print one for me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered an Raspberry Pi kit off Amazon today along with a Bluetooth SNES controller. Oh well, missed opportunities everywhere Nintendo.

Yep. I finally got around to setting of Retroarch on my PC and have no interest in an NEE classic now. Nor an SNES or N64 classic.

Yep. I finally got around to setting of Retroarch on my PC and have no interest in an NEE classic now. Nor an SNES or N64 classic.

I have a NES Classic and will get a SNES Classic if Nintendo ever releases one. As convenient as emulators are with setups like the Retropie, I'm still interested in having something made by Nintendo.

gweemz

So I ordered the bundle with the book and it came in today. Looking at the packing slip, it says $79 for the nes and $29 for the book. Am I screwed if I want to return the book and will only get $29 back?

SuperSah

Banned
Nintendo still hasn't sorted their shit out?

I'm lucky I preordered and actually received mine. Hell, even that was a hassle. I preordered it the second it went live only to get shafted and they gave them to people who preordered like, weeks later. After much complaining, they found one elsewhere in Europe and sent it to me.

Nintendo really needs to sort their shit. At this point, it's not even funny. It should not be this hard to manufacturer and sell these when demand is so high and the system seems relatively cheap and easy to mass produce.

crpav

Nintendo still hasn't sorted their shit out?

I'm lucky I preordered and actually received mine. Hell, even that was a hassle. I preordered it the second it went live only to get shafted and they gave them to people who preordered like, weeks later. After much complaining, they found one elsewhere in Europe and sent it to me.

Nintendo really needs to sort their shit. At this point, it's not even funny. It should not be this hard to manufacturer and sell these when demand is so high and the system seems relatively cheap and easy to mass produce.

Yes this. Some will come in and try to side with Nintendo and everything but reading the above post about a store getting 1 in is terrible. I mean at this point stores should be getting 101 in, not 1.

Oh and got to love the every 15th post of the person "feeling bad" yet have to add how they are glad they got theirs in response to someone who didn't.

Top Bottom