• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

womp

god, i wish i could find a box like that in my mom's attic

About 47 NES carts, NES Advantage, Zapper all in there. My entire collection from when I got my NES for Christmas 1986.

I will take some pics in a bit.

In the meantime, I totally disassembled it, bent back each and every 72 pins then scrubbed the connector with a toothbrush dipped in alcohol. Good as new. Every game boots instantly now. Not bad for my almost 30 year old NES. :)

If anyone is having similar issues I highly recommend trying this before forking out for a new 72 pin connector.

13+-+1

womp

thorough as fuck! and here i am just using the NES cleaning kit like a chump, haha...good work man

Thank you...it took me about a half hour to do them all. :)

I referenced this video to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MgD_U8ymkk

Oh, and I used a cleaning kit too...

13+-+1

I got three of them on clearance at Toys R Us for $1.98 each when I worked there Christmas time 1992 for $3.75 an hour.

Two are still wrapped and sealed but I gave it a whirl before I opened her up. hehe

Teknoman

lol the craziest thing is that no one could place the timeframe of that picture, unless they knew you personally.

Well aside from the HDTV on the left :p

womp

lol the craziest thing is that no one could place the timeframe of that picture, unless they knew you personally.

Well aside from the HDTV on the left :p

That is a good point! :eek:

As a side note that C64 monitor has been in my possession for about 30 years now - my father got it when I was 9. Continues to perform wonderfully. I would always swap out my C64 for some NES as a kid. I highly recommend them for anyone who happens to find one in their travels and needs a solid screen for retro gaming.

A few pages back another poster was showing a pic of his NES running off one too. :)

Also Canadian games dont have any regional differences correct?
If you're talking about Kirby (like you were at the end of the last page), I know for sure that Kirby's Adventure (NES) was released in French in Quebec. I am a French speaker, but for some reason I'd rather have all my classic games in English, so I traded in the French version I stumbled upon (some flea market in Montreal had dozens of sealed copies of the French version back in 2003-2004) for an English version.

(A Link to the Past was re-released in French here as well back in 1993, if I recall correctly.)

What's the lifespan of a 72 pin connector you'd get today?

After seeing what womp did, I thought I'd clean up my 72 pin connector after my troubles recently. This 72 pin connector is one I installed a while ago. When I got my NES off eBay maybe around 10 years ago (give or take, can't remember), the 72 pin connector inside wasn't working so I changed it. Today, after cleaning it, it still was giving me problems. I tried another new 72 pin connector (waiting for the replacement years ago took too long so I bought another and, now, I had a spare) and it worked perfectly. Games start up right away.

Just curious if it's something you should change every so often.

womp

Box from the attic all unpacked. Spent the morning dusting off the games. Luckily they were all still in their original dust jackets so they are pretty much mint.

Sorry for the excessive posting, but it is the weekend and I can't get around to posting much during the week...just thrilled that I found my old NES stuff. :D Carts like Zelda, Gradius, Castlevania and Metroid are all titles I got along with the NES during Christmas of '86. Donkey Kong Classics was the last one I bought and that was from Funcoland around 1993 or so.

I am going to try snagging some carts of games that I missed out on back in the day, such as Shatterhand, Star Tropics and Balloon Fight. Finding this thing really ignited my urge to fill in the collection a bit.

Right now I have it all set up in my son's room. Runs great on his old Cars TV/DVD two in one. lol I cleared out the TV stand after this pic was taken and lined all the carts up and tucked the system underneath all nice and neat.

Asparagus

My meager NES collection. I was going the PAL route originally just because it's so much easier but after 15+ years of emulation I just couldn't do it and sold everything off. My current plan is to rebuy/beat everything I owned as a kid in complete NTSC form and pick up other (good) games that I missed along the way.

vqyy2Pq.jpg

And here's the newest edition, Canadian Dr Mario! I wasn't even aware that Canada got it's own versions of NES games until now.

Y5lYjKo.jpg

The manual's a bit tatty and the box has that black Nintendo sticker which I desperately want to get off but it was only a few quid I'm happy enough.

-KRS-

Yeah the fact that most of my games are PAL releases bums me out a bit. Especially now that I also have a US system. Had I started collecting today I would definitely only get NTSC games. I still buy mostly PAL games though because they're easier to get a hold of here. At least with a lot of the PAL games you can play just fine on the NTSC system anyway, since they're not usually optimized for PAL. But the ones that are runs too fast on NTSC machines and may or may not have terrible graphics glitches @60hz, like Mr Gimmick. So you're forced to play those carts on PAL systems with the black borders and all that shit which sucks a little. Oh well, it's not the end of the world I guess. At least I have a PowerPak if I want to experience the games as they were intended.

The one thing that is actually a little better on PAL systems are the colors, which look a bit fuller and with not as much fuzzyness. That's the first thing I noticed after getting my NTSC unit. Although I guess that's still a negative because that's not how the games were designed to look.

Anyway, great pics guys. Keep em coming. :)

Edit: Also, don't remove the sticker. It's part of the box's history. :)
Same with really old price tags in my opinion. I get nostalgic just seeing a price tag from some old store that doesn't exist anymore. Resellers who put new price tags on the boxes/carts though, they can go to hell.

Asparagus

The one PAL game I really like is Mario 1, the borders suck but the extra speed of everything feels just right when your running through the levels as fast as your can.

As for the sticker... gah, I'm too afraid of ruining the box to remove it right now so it'll stay for the moment. I do think boxes look better without them though (unless they're sealed).

womp

I really miss seeing the older cartoony looking Mario on the old boxes and manuals these days.

Was never a fan of his CGI make over....but hey, I guess I need to get with the times. :(

IrishNinja

I really miss seeing the older cartoony looking Mario on the old boxes and manuals these days.

Was never a fan of his CGI make over....but hey, I guess I need to get with the times. :(

you & me both...im still used to seeing him in a blue shirt with red overalls, in my mind...with gold buttons! kinda neutral on the NSMB look, but that one gets me reminiscent, too. i hope it (or something like it) comes back down the road.

-KRS-

Oh yeah Little Samson is on my to buy list. The PAL copy isn't as expensive as the US one, but it is getting up there so I better hurry...

The one thing that is actually a little better on PAL systems are the colors, which look a bit fuller and with not as much fuzzyness. That's the first thing I noticed after getting my NTSC unit. Although I guess that's still a negative because that's not how the games were designed to look.

Ehh wait, I must have been tired when I wrote that. The colors are fuller on the NTSC units, not the PAL ones! But they ARE fuzzier on the NTSC units. They're a little sharper and doesn't bleed as much on PAL units. So there's that. :p

Just wanted to post this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzl-E23bkhk

Little Samson is easily one of the best and most underappreciated NES games out there. Probably didn't get a lot of sales cause everyone was already eyeing on 'next-gen' hardware when it came out, but it's a damn fine game.

This is the tale of so many late NES games. I remember a friend of mine as a kid didn't get a SNES when everyone else did, and we made fun of him for still playing NES... but looking back now he definitely had some of those late 92-93 games that everyone is clamoring for nowadays.

Teknoman

So...now I really need a good Famicom adapter for the front loader NES.

Just got Gun*Nac famicom version with the book for like 40 bucks shipped (hopefully thats a good price since I have no idea how close the famicom version is in price to the NES version).

womp

So...now I really need a good Famicom adapter for the front loader NES.

Just got Gun*Nac famicom version with the book for like 40 bucks shipped (hopefully thats a good price since I have no idea how close the famicom version is in price to the NES version).

Wouldn't mind getting Kid Dracula, myself. :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a copy of Holy Diver today on eBay so I have a game when my AV Fami shows up later this week. Kid Dracula is still en route. So I'm working on my initial want list of Famicom stuff. Any other suggestions? Mostly looking for action games and platformers.

Akumajo Densetsu
Devil World
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
Hoshi no Kirby
Gradius II
Twinbee 3
Salamander
Contra
Super Contra
Crisis Force
Top Secret: Hitler No Fukkatsu
Rockman 1-6
Duck Tales
Duck Tales 2
Yume Penguin Monogatari

I'm also deciding if I should buy an FDS or not. That'd be a purchase much, much later in the future.

tav7623

I bought a copy of Holy Diver today on eBay so I have a game when my AV Fami shows up later this week. Kid Dracula is still en route. So I'm working on my initial want list of Famicom stuff. Any other suggestions? Mostly looking for action games and platformers.

Akumajo Densetsu
Devil World
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
Hoshi no Kirby
Gradius II
Twinbee 3
Salamander
Contra
Super Contra
Crisis Force
Top Secret: Hitler No Fukkatsu
Rockman 1-6
Duck Tales
Duck Tales 2

I'm also deciding if I should buy an FDS or not. That'd be a purchase much, much later in the future.

I heard that there is this good horror game called Sweet Home that was one of the games that inspired the team behind Resident Evil and only came out for the Famicom in Japan.

Teknoman

Decided to ask around about Famicom converters on Nintendoage, and was directed to Famicomworld, so hopefully i'll find someone selling there.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
bought some pretty cool games this week california games, gradius, spelunker, complete bart vs space mutants, frankenstein bandais take on castlevania but with a very japanese version of the frankenstein story odd game but solid and last but not least magician a very cool hidden gem it combines platforming with adventure game systems and rpg systems you can craft spells with runes and you even have to eat and drink game is crazy cool

californiagames_zps70bb7732.jpg

womp

My index finger and thumb are hurting from digging carts out all weekend from the tight grip of the 72 pin connector I tweaked on my NES. May have to open it back up and tone them down a tad. Hehe

Decided to ask around about Famicom converters on Nintendoage, and was directed to Famicomworld, so hopefully i'll find someone selling there.
Are you looking to play famicom games on your NES or vice-versa? If its the former, you might already have the converter in your possession without knowing it. My copy of Gyromite for example has the converter built into the cart, so I can poach it from that.

Teknoman

Are you looking to play famicom games on your NES or vice-versa? If its the former, you might already have the converter in your possession without knowing it. My copy of Gyromite for example has the converter built into the cart, so I can poach it from that.

Yeah, play Famicom games on my NES. I tried to check the few 5 screw carts and one Gyromite I found the other day after reading up on that, but no luck with any of em.

Gah, I missed out on getting a copy of Uchuu Keibitai SDF for about $35 :( That game has been so hard to find! Also I'm still trying to hunt down a decently priced copy of Doki Doki Panic, I dont know why that one is so stupidly expensive.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I heard that there is this good horror game called Sweet Home that was one of the games that inspired the team behind Resident Evil and only came out for the Famicom in Japan.
Oh wow, I'm definitely going to pick this up after reading about it.

Teknoman

Guess ive got awhile till gunnac arrives, so still have time to find one. Any other reccomendations for carts that might have the adapter? Other than those 5 screw black box releases anyway.

womp

Guess ive got awhile till gunnac arrives, so still have time to find one. Any other reccomendations for carts that might have the adapter? Other than those 5 screw black box releases anyway.

Checked my black label Nintendo releases - no luck. :(

Anyone here like Quinty/Mendel Palace? I remember Hudson having a commercial for the game during Video Power from what I recall.. I rented it quite a bit, it was tons of fun, and I introduced my wife to it when we first started dating and had a blast with the co-op mode :)

Jhriad

So I took it upon myself to find all the incorrect entries in Pricecharting's database. A week later I'm ~13% done with the NES games having found 263 incorrect entries. I think I might have underestimated how long this would take. :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
My five year old son playing Mario 3. :)

This is the most awesome thing Ive seen all day. My son is still only two years old, but really looking forward to teaching him this important history lesson one day :)

Got a bit of stuff today. Nothing very special but I was happy to find some smaller things I'd been wanting:

DerfGZQ.jpg

The shitty thing is the guy told me I should have been in yesterday. Said someone came through and bought a good 100 games at least between NES/SNES. Which explained why the shelves were pretty empty. Oh well. I'm happy with the games and prices, they're in need of a good cleaning, though.

baphomet

Is that a franchise store you're getting those prices at? I was stoked today that I picked up Shatterhand for $4.99 and Little Nemo last week for the same. I'd love to be able to pick up some stuff for $1.99 even if they're just games I don't already have.

Is that a franchise store you're getting those prices at? I was stoked today that I picked up Shatterhand for $4.99 and Little Nemo last week for the same. I'd love to be able to pick up some stuff for $1.99 even if they're just games I don't already have.

Small chain called Disc/Mega Replay. Mostly in Illinois and Indiana. Their prices are awesome. I've just recently kind of switched gears from SNES to NES, so most of my great deals have been on the SNES side so far. But, I got Secret of Mana for $25, Mega Man X for $6, Earthbound for $130, and Soul Blazer for $14 (think those are most of my major scores from them).

I have a few about an hour from me. I usually won't drive there just to go since I kind of lose my savings with two hours of driving, but any time I go to any of those towns I make sure to go and never walk out empty handed.

Sucks someone was there the day before. There really weren't any gems there today, who knows what 100 games that person walked out with. Wish I lived closer.

baphomet

Well that's pretty awesome. As far as I've found out here in the Denver area most games are all retail priced. The only real luck I've had is the States largest flea market is about a 5 minute drive from my house and I come across some decent deals out there.

This goes for pretty much anyone, if someone has some doubles of commons and wants to trade for some equally common doubles I've got we should talk. I'm at the hospital for the rest of the day more than likely, but I'll get a picture of my collection and another picture of my doubles I'd be willing to trade.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im so jealous of you guys who can just go to a store and buy old nes- and snes-games. Where I live, Nintendo have never really been that big, and those games are long gone from everything except for a flea market once every blue moon. Which means more or less all my games comes from ebay or other premium prices sites :(

Teknoman

Im so jealous of you guys who can just go to a store and buy old nes- and snes-games. Where I live, Nintendo have never really been that big, and those games are long gone from everything except for a flea market once every blue moon. Which means more or less all my games comes from ebay or other premium prices sites :(

Do you have any other goodwill,half-price books, or small thrift stores?

Top Bottom