• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Quoting myself from page 3:

It is hard, but it's the type of game that rewards replays. Everytime I fired it up, I made incremental progress to the point where I didn't feel it was impossible anymore. (For the record, I play with the NES Advantage stick - auto-turbo is very helpful in this game.) Nowadays, I can beat the game every time (I consider myself average skilled in video games playing).

No doubt about that. The game is a very interesting platformer/beat 'em up with great new mechanics. Plus, the music is great (late 80s/early 90s Capcom music (well, up to and including Mega Man 7) was amazing).

For $6, definitely get it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I figured this might be good thread to share this:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14109231/NESMUSICBOX.html

nes.jpg

It's an Unity web player thing I've been working on for few days. I call it Nes music box, it's basicly a Nes experience simulator, you can change cartridges and listen to the theme songs, and now you can do other stuff as well.. I recommend watching the new show on channel 5, I heard it's radical!

Amazing. I love this.

-KRS-

I figured this might be good thread to share this:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14109231/NESMUSICBOX.html

nes.jpg

It's an Unity web player thing I've been working on for few days. I call it Nes music box, it's basicly a Nes experience simulator, you can change cartridges and listen to the theme songs, and now you can do other stuff as well.. I recommend watching the new show on channel 5, I heard it's radical!

I wish Unity was available for Linux. :(

bh7812

Banned
The bad side of the story is that people here in my country has started to buy every single copy of Flinstones 2 and buy it on eBay with the actual price, i was definitely lucky that day... but it was common at some point, in fact i have three more friends who have a copy, one of them complete with the box and instructions, the fortune of the third world, i guess.

Oh I can only imagine they're buying them up and selling them on eBay!! The carts alone are a brutal price. Complete with box and instructions its even worse. I'm very surprised that game is one of the rarest ones still. First time I heard that one was one of the big rare ones I had to read it several times due to disbelief. That and Rescue Ramgers 2 seem to be the really expensive ones.

To the poster with the complete in box with instructions copy of TMNT 2, yeah don't let go of that one either. I don't commonly see that one anymore around me. That and TMNT 3 have gotten hard to come by. They're not Flintstones 2 or Rescue Rangers 2 hard to get but they're still a rather big pain in the ass to find.

-KRS-

Yeah I almost never see CIB TMNT2 anymore. And when I do the boxes are almost always in really bad shape. Even the carts have gone up in price considerably over here lately. That's what made me buy the FC version instead when I saw it for around $8 BIN because I just wanted the game and it's completely in English anyway. For some reason it's just called TMNT in Japan though. What's up with that?

Yeah I almost never see CIB TMNT2 anymore. And when I do the boxes are almost always in really bad shape. Even the carts have gone up in price considerably over here lately. That's what made me buy the FC version instead when I saw it for around $8 BIN because I just wanted the game and it's completely in English anyway. For some reason it's just called TMNT in Japan though. What's up with that?

I never understood it either, until I saw the first TMNT on FC, which is called "Gekikame Ninja Den"... so that makes Arcade TMNT "part 1" there, and III "Part 2". Total freakshow.

bh7812

Banned
I never understood it either, until I saw the first TMNT on FC, which is called "Gekikame Ninja Den"... so that makes Arcade TMNT "part 1" there, and III "Part 2". Total freakshow.

Some of the numberings of games over in Japan sure are headache-inducing! There's a few other examples where that starts to make your head spin. Most notably the Final Fantasy games-well at least until the numbering of the later games finally became universally the same.

The naming of games from region to region is really fascinating! I wasn't sure until now why it's just called TMNT in Japan. My answer before reading RoryDropKick's reply would have been some weird licensing thing but evidently not. That was certainly why I always thought it was called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in Europe, just always figured some weird licensing thing. Similar to why Star Fox is Star Wing there instead. I learn something new every day, I didn't realize the whole TMNT in Europe thing was in part due to kids actually beating the crap outta each other!

That picture further upthread of that collection containing a ton of Konami Famicom carts is neat! I had never seen the actual Japanese carts for most of those Konami games until now. Part of me would like to buy some of the Famicom versions of games, maybe someday but I can at least see what a lot of them look like through pictures!

I also want to second the recommendation made for people to at least try the Konami Wai Wai World games. They're excellent platformer adventures-especially the second one! You can manage through them without really knowing Japanese. The second one especially has great music. I think it's criminal we never got localized versions of those in the US/EU but it's probably due to the games containing some elements from games that have never made it over. I had a chance to play through them a few years ago (The last few NES/Famicom games I hadn't played at least part way through) and really enjoyed them. It would be sure great to see re-imaginings of those for 3DS!

Echoes

I saw a video of this at ocdreproductions, and the music alone made me add it to my list.

I mean just listen to this!

Yeah, Radia Senki was composed by Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden; Tecmo Bowl; Captain Tsubasa). I have yet to play the game but the music is awesome.

Among my top favorite NES games is Captain Tsubasa II: Super Striker. Absolutely brilliant in every way, and the original game came before Fire Emblem and delivered a blend of SRPG/RTS/Soccer that's never been done before, as far as my knowledge serves me. (2 improved upon the original in all aspects, so I recommend skipping 1 in favor of 2.)

Music was done by Keiji Yamagishi, too, for 1 & II. III on SFC had a great soundtrack, but was composed by Ninja Gaiden 3's composers, Kaori Nakabai and Rika Shigeno.

Few of my favorite tracks from Captain Tsubasa II:

Opening Theme
Hyuga Theme (Toho Team)
Misaki's Theme (Nankatsu Team)
Enemy's Theme 2

Due to the fast nature of the game, the team's themes had to be short (20 seconds to 40 seconds, some around 50) but that's fine to me because the game had a large volume of tracks, something I haven't seen a lot.

Currently playing CTIII on my Super Nintendo. I got IV and V which I never beated before, so I look forward to them after I'm done with III. Been playing the NES Mega Mans on my 3DS as well, and while I already memorized every inch of them, it's still super fun and I never get bored of those games. Can't wait to get MM4 this month.

Goal: try to play Radia Senki, one way or another.

BTHR Zero X

Wonder if any Gaf'ers can help me, I have always enjoyed the Ninja Turtles since I was a young child, and living in the UK I grew to know them as the Hero Turtles.

Now I spent hours upon hours playing Turtles and Turtles II Arcade and I was surprised to only just find out they did a 3rd in the NES Series but it was US and JPN only.

Now I was wonder did anyone play it? and would they recommend it to me as a fan?

Reason being is I am thinking of importing it as I have the pin converter so I can play other region games, and I would like to know how it is.

-KRS-

Ah right, I forgot about that fact. That sort of makes sense then. But still weird. :p

Wonder if any Gaf'ers can help me, I have always enjoyed the Ninja Turtles since I was a young child, and living in the UK I grew to know them as the Hero Turtles.

Now I spent hours upon hours playing Turtles and Turtles II Arcade and I was surprised to only just find out they did a 3rd in the NES Series but it was US and JPN only.

Now I was wonder did anyone play it? and would they recommend it to me as a fan?

Reason being is I am thinking of importing it as I have the pin converter so I can play other region games, and I would like to know how it is.

I think someone in this thread said he liked it even more than Turtles in Time for SNES which commonly is considered to be the best Turtles beat 'em up ever. So it's probably pretty good. :p I haven't played it much yet myself though. Don't own it yet either. I don't see it a lot on the local auction sites. I'd probably get the FC release since it'll undoubtedly be cheaper.

Andrew.

Banned

You mean this:

turtles-3-the-manhattan-project-nes-box-artwork.jpg

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-3-the-manhattan-project.3.png

gfs_29048_2_1.jpg

183165-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-iii-the-manhattan-project-nes.png

I recall it being signifigantly tougher than the NES TMNT Arcade Game (there is barely any pizza slices and your special moves take away health) and I didnt find the music as memorable. Graphics were still good though and it's still basically necessary to play co op.

Bought two games off eBay yesterday, which I'll post when I get them, so I decided to unearth my NES.

Here's my meager collection.

DSCF0354.jpg

Bought my NES off eBay years ago in a lot. I believe it came with Jurassic Park, Punch-Out!!, SMB/DH, TMNT, and BOTBCK. Rest I bought individually.

After looking them over, they're pretty dirty. What's the best way to clean them again? Alcohol and Q-Tip?

For best results, open up the cartridges and clean the contacts with metal polish.
If you're cleaning the exterior, magic eraser works well and goo-gone to remove rental stickers.

just be aware magic eraser is practically very fine grit sandpaper, so careful you don't file away the texture on your carts.

I'm still trying to get my manager to play Metal Storm. LOVE that game to bits, I was gushing over it with my classmates when it first came out.. I was heavy into anime robots at the time and it really hit that sweet spot.

For best results, open up the cartridges and clean the contacts with metal polish.
If you're cleaning the exterior, magic eraser works well and goo-gone to remove rental stickers.

just be aware magic eraser is practically very fine grit sandpaper, so careful you don't file away the texture on your carts.

You never, ever want to put metal polish on the contacts.(they contain solvents that can erode the contacts over time, i know what youtube video you are referencing and he is an idiot) Only use a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 isopropyl alcohol and a Q tip or with a Nes cleaning kit. If you have the tools to open a cartridge a pink pearl eraser is safe to use as well.

Zing

Banned
I don't see how diluting the alcohol will help. The water would actually cause harm if you don't dry it completely. I use 99% alcohol, and even that probably has more water than is best.

I don't see how diluting the alcohol will help. The water would actually cause harm if you don't dry it completely. I use 99% alcohol, and even that probably has more water than is best.

That was the recommended solution that was listed inside Nintendo's Official Cleaning Kits.

rubbing alcohol and a q-tip
No, don't do this.

It's partially right though.

Usually 99.9% isopropyl alcohol (typical rubbing alcohol [70%] has too much water, water = damage to contacts [see also: your breath has moisture in it, stop blowing into the carts, you're just making them worse]) and an electronics cleaning swab (swabs for cleaning your ears will tear apart and leave traces of cotton in the game, though this is less an issue than the water thing).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
That picture further upthread of that collection containing a ton of Konami Famicom carts is neat! I had never seen the actual Japanese carts for most of those Konami games until now. Part of me would like to buy some of the Famicom versions of games, maybe someday but I can at least see what a lot of them look like through pictures!

Yeah, I love those Konami games!

Here's a picture of my Konami Famicom Disk System collection, all complete, but still missing quite a few from the "full" set:

1jFOJeG.jpg

It's kind of interesting how much a lot of the FDS games changed before their US releases on cartridges. Most of them are much more drastically changed than straight Famicom->NES games. A lot of them have save systems built in, annoying loading between levels, and usually better music. Especially the Japanese version of Jackal (which is still in the mail to me, called Final Command: Akai Yousei) was changed quite a bit--for the better--when it went to the NES, due to the more advanced mappers and on-cart memory available at the time.

VARIA

It's kind of interesting how much a lot of the FDS games changed before their US releases on cartridges. Most of them are much more drastically changed than straight Famicom->NES games. A lot of them have save systems built in, annoying loading between levels, and usually better music.

Very true. Thanks to the save feature in Castlevania 1 (Famicom Disk version) I was able to complete the game. Metroid also has save slots which makes it more convenient to pick up and lay where you left off as opposed to entering those ridiculously long passwords.

I beat Battle Kid this weekend, hooray.

Battle Kid 2 should be in the mail by the weekend.

NEED MORE NES HOMEBREW.
I've been stalking RetroZone for Battle Kid 1 for the past few days since I just ordered Battle Kid 2. Should have it by tomorrow. I wish there was more out there released as cart only for the homebrew scene.

Quackula

No, don't do this.

It's partially right though.

Usually 99.9% isopropyl alcohol (typical rubbing alcohol [70%] has too much water, water = damage to contacts [see also: your breath has moisture in it, stop blowing into the carts, you're just making them worse]) and an electronics cleaning swab (swabs for cleaning your ears will tear apart and leave traces of cotton in the game, though this is less an issue than the water thing).

Or just use contact cleaner, sicne that's actually what it's meant to be used for.

A white eraser can work wonders as well, not just on the contacts, but on removing stuff like sticker residue and marker from the cart itself.

Mzo

You never, ever want to put metal polish on the contacts.(they contain solvents that can erode the contacts over time, i know what youtube video you are referencing and he is an idiot
I've read intelligent people arguing both ways on this. Do you have first-hand experience or can you link to an instance where a cartridge was damaged from using Brasso or Weimans?

I kind of understand if you're polishing the contacts every day, but you generally do it once a lifetime (so far) in my experience.

Either way, if you're serious about the games splurge on that $1.00 tool to open up your carts and clean them proper. It takes a second.

IrishNinja

crap, which metal polish was it you recommended, 16? and i gotta hunt down some goo gone too, might check amazon/ebay tonight

Ialokin

I've been playing a whole lot of NES recently. I beat Metroid and Rygar both for the first time within the past week, and these are games I first played as a 2-year-old (now 22). Rygar is surprisingly easy as the instruction manual tells your pretty much everything you need to know. Metroid was rather tough...I somehow missed the screw attack, varia suit, and beam shot my first full time through finishing with the "bad" (not worst) ending. Second time around in new game+ I 100%ed and got the one-piece finish.

Still not out of this NES kick though. NES games are some of the few games in my experience that I really feel accomplished upon completing. You can't just wing it in most instances. You actually gotta take your time and learn the game.

Mzo

You definitely don't want to put metal polish on a cartridge.

I've looked around a bit since the last poster put down a warning against the same thing and haven't been able to find much information to back up the claim that you shouldn't clean metal connectors with Brasso or similar products that are designed to clean metal. It's worked remarkably well in my experience, and from what I can find in the experience of many. I am using barely a drop of polish on each side and wiping it off with a dry cloth.

What exactly is being damaged? Are the claims that ammonia will eventually damage the connectors? Is it after multiple cleanings, or is once enough to cause the eventual damage? What kind of time frame are we talking about here? How long before all the games I've cleaned explode? Has anyone had a game become unplayable after being cleaned with metal polish?

I'm not trying to be snarky; I'd really like to know.

baphomet

It's an abrasive, basically a liquid sandpaper. You're removing a layer of the metal on the connectors when you use polish. I don't know how long they'll last after using polish because I've never done it, but rest assured assured that it'll be much shorter if you're regularly cleaning them with metal polish.

bh7812

Banned
Yeah, I love those Konami games!

Here's a picture of my Konami Famicom Disk System collection, all complete, but still missing quite a few from the "full"

It's kind of interesting how much a lot of the FDS games changed before their US releases on cartridges. Most of them are much more drastically changed than straight Famicom->NES games. A lot of them have save systems built in, annoying loading between levels, and usually better music. Especially the Japanese version of Jackal (which is still in the mail to me, called Final Command: Akai Yousei) was changed quite a bit--for the better--when it went to the NES, due to the more advanced mappers and on-cart memory available at the time.

That was a neat picture too! I like how the Konami FDS game cases all had continuity, with the white background against the logos and art work! FDS was both a blessing and curse-added some things like save slots but the downside being some of the games weren't as technically advanced as their US NES counterparts. With time and more support, it could have done even more amazing things.

Very true. Thanks to the save feature in Castlevania 1 (Famicom Disk version) I was able to complete the game. Metroid also has save slots which makes it more convenient to pick up and lay where you left off as opposed to entering those ridiculously long passwords.

No shit! Castlevania 1 had save slots in the FDS version, ill be damned. Sure would have made all 3 of the NES Castlevanias much more manageable with save slots! Especially Simons Quest. Great game at the time but a LOT of work to finish. Even more of a struggle if you're lost and clueless.

I got Castlevania 3/ Akumajo Densetsu today

Congrats!! I tell people who still haven't experienced Castlevania 3 to try and get the Famicom version if they can, because of the superior audio. I'm not huge on "superior" versions of games, I can take or leave em but that version of that game really is superior. Id heard the Famicom version of the OST a few years ago thinking pfffft it's just some very minor differences. Dead wrong. Totally floored. It's early 16 bit quality more or less. Wish we'd gotten that exact version in the US but I shudder to think of the 80, 90 maybe even 100 bucks that mighta costed us!

Krelian29

Congrats!! I tell people who still haven't experienced Castlevania 3 to try and get the Famicom version if they can, because of the superior audio. I'm not huge on "superior" versions of games, I can take or leave em but that version of that game really is superior. Id heard the Famicom version of the OST a few years ago thinking pfffft it's just some very minor differences. Dead wrong. Totally floored. It's early 16 bit quality more or less. Wish we'd gotten that exact version in the US but I shudder to think of the 80, 90 maybe even 100 bucks that mighta costed us!

Not only the audio but i think they was some graphics change like cross that was removed from the intro but yeah great game !

-KRS-

Regarding cleaning I've always used pure isopropyl alcohol. I've read about mixing it with water too, but I always thought that sounded like not a good idea. The bottle I have even says "For technical use" so it's meant for cleaning PCBs and stuff. But to get the worst dirt off I open up the cartridge and use a very soft rubber eraser to basically erase the dirt. Quoting myself from the SNES thread:

I always do this:
1. Open the cartridge up.
2. Run a soft rubber eraser over the pins using lots of force, although not enough to break the PCB obviously. This removes even the dirt which seems impossible to remove with only q-tips and alcohol most of the time.
3. Dip a q-tip in isopropyl alcohol and lightly run it over the pins to remove any rubber that might be there. Then I take the dry side of the q-tip and wipe it dry.
4. Re-assemble and play!

Never had a game that wouldn't work after giving it this treatment.
Systems are a little more tricky. I've never really had to do it myself. I've heard of people wrapping microfiber cloths around credit cards and sticking it in the cartridge connector. Maybe that works. For NES consoles you can just take out the connector and boil it in water with some soap. Yes, boil it. Then you can dry it in the oven on low heat with the door open.

I guess I should expand on the NES connector part. The boiling of the connector expands the metal pins so they come out a bit and give better contact with the cart, as well as cleaning it. Here's a guide:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090501213148/http://hem.bredband.net/corail/nesfix/index.html

The images doesn't work anymore but it's pretty straight forward.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
No shit! Castlevania 1 had save slots in the FDS version, ill be damned. Sure would have made all 3 of the NES Castlevanias much more manageable with save slots! Especially Simons Quest. Great game at the time but a LOT of work to finish. Even more of a struggle if you're lost and clueless.

but then id miss out on that rad password music

Zing

Banned
I prefer passwords in most instances. It allows you to share "saved games", use any cartridge to continue, and not worry about losing a save due to battery issues.

With all these methods to clean the contacts, I think I'll just leave them alone. Haha.

Also, just a heads up, in the OP, Chrontendo and Hardcore Gaming 101's links don't work.

gblues

Banned
I've been playing a whole lot of NES recently. I beat Metroid and Rygar both for the first time within the past week, and these are games I first played as a 2-year-old (now 22). Rygar is surprisingly easy as the instruction manual tells your pretty much everything you need to know. Metroid was rather tough...I somehow missed the screw attack, varia suit, and beam shot my first full time through finishing with the "bad" (not worst) ending. Second time around in new game+ I 100%ed and got the one-piece finish.

Still not out of this NES kick though. NES games are some of the few games in my experience that I really feel accomplished upon completing. You can't just wing it in most instances. You actually gotta take your time and learn the game.

If you use the JUSTIN BAILEY code, you can get the bikini finish. AFAIK it's the only way to do it (and the only way to play as Zero Suit Samus).

crap, which metal polish was it you recommended, 16? and i gotta hunt down some goo gone too, might check amazon/ebay tonight

I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. I bought it for something else, but figured I'd try it on one of my non-working NES carts one day and guess what, it started working again like new. So much corrosive black shit came off it was ridiculous.

YMMV, but it fixed for me what no amount of rubbing alcohol and rubber eraser could.

Mzo

It's an abrasive, basically a liquid sandpaper. You're removing a layer of the metal on the connectors when you use polish. I don't know how long they'll last after using polish because I've never done it, but rest assured assured that it'll be much shorter if you're regularly cleaning them with metal polish.

You do it once and you're basically done for years.

I think it'll be ok.

Top Bottom