• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

D.Lo

Oh, hey, nice timing on the Adventure Island theme for this month. I'm currently editing a Wonder Boy/Adventure Island episode of Retronauts, so I've been soaking in this game.
i've almost completed a collection of all Wonder Boy games and their various non-WB/Monster Land versions, like Dynastic Hero and Bikkuriman World. Messiest series of games ever.

-KRS-

Unfortunately, I don't have one. But I looked up a few site, and it seems like my copy is legit. I was afraid because it looks weird on the back, but for comparison I have games released in Germany, and this one is the only one fully in English (Game plus box).

This is not so weird. Games with the EEC code (which it looks like this game has from the picture) were released in multiple countries, like Sweden, Denmark and Finland for example which had their releases completely in english. The scandinavian releases would say SCN on the back sticker on the cart with EEC on the front, while german releases would say DAS or FRG on the back for the most part. Games that had localized boxes and manuals would say the country code on there as well. A Scandinavian release with localised manual would say SCN all over it - box, manual and front and back of cartridge. Same with other regions.

So the EEC releases seems to have been budget releases or games that they were too lazy to localise properly.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So many people here in Scandinavia is all over those SCN-markings, but I am just so glad that i never cared for it. Saved quite a fe pennies on that.

-KRS-

So many people here in Scandinavia is all over those SCN-markings, but I am just so glad that i never cared for it. Saved quite a fe pennies on that.

Yeah I know. I'm in Sweden and the SCN craze is fucking stupid over here. At one point I was also a bit interested in buying SCN releases of games myself. Glad I only collect NTSC now, which is both cheaper as well as just better.

D.Lo

Unfortunately, I don't have one. But I looked up a few site, and it seems like my copy is legit. I was afraid because it looks weird on the back, but for comparison I have games released in Germany, and this one is the only one fully in English (Game plus box).
It's legit, all PAL Silent Service's are kind of weird looking. It was like they had to use different printers for just that one game.

I never got past the second stage of Adventure Island as a kid. God I suck at platformers. I'm playing it again right now and I'm wondering why I had so much trouble.

Morfeo

Yeah I know. I'm in Sweden and the SCN craze is fucking stupid over here. At one point I was also a bit interested in buying SCN releases of games myself. Glad I only collect NTSC now, which is both cheaper as well as just better.

I pick up some pal-games once in a while if they are cheap, but yeah, i am right with you from Norway. Trying to collect as much ntsc as i can.

Mzo

If y'all like Adventure Island, you should try Wonder Boy on the SMS. Looks gorgeous in native RGB and hasn't been made arbitrarily and sadistically more difficult by Hudson Soft. Adventure Island was an afternoon of pain for me by the end, but Wonder Boy was just a fun romp. It felt easier than the arcade game, too. I'd have to go back to pinpoint the tweaks.

dcx4610

What is the consensus on the best clone NES controller? Are there any companies that come really close to the feel of an original NES controller?

There are so many brands and options available it's overwhelming. It looks like Tomee and TTX are the most abundant.

m05177_031414.jpg

nxnes-006.jpg

I know it's silly but I don't want to use my originals and just want to preserve them. Any suggestions?

So I got my FDSStick. I can't actually use it yet because the RAM adapter is still on the way.

I plugged it in and used the software here to load up some of my FDS backups, and it automatically updated the firmware when I ran the software. So if you're on an older version of the hardware, try that and see if you get the OSD.

What is the consensus on the best clone NES controller? Are there any companies that come really close to the feel of an original NES controller?

There are so many brands and options available it's overwhelming. It looks like Tomee and TTX are the most abundant.

m05177_031414.jpg

nxnes-006.jpg

I know it's silly but I don't want to use my originals and just want to preserve them. Any suggestions?

I dunno. OEM controllers are really abundant and cheap and you can easily refurb them if they're not in perfect shape.

Lynd7

m05177_031414.jpg

nxnes-006.jpg

Im interested in knowing this too, is there a new replica controller that most recommend? Sure, can get OEM ones, but wouldn't mind knowing more about the new options.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You've collected quite a bit in a short time, NOLA!

And only over four purchases, mind you.

The Famicom itself came with eight carts, then I later bought a batch of eleven, won two auctions for CIB carts, and then six last week, so that's a total of...27.

It helps that the majority of them were less than $10, with only a few being $20 or more.

Ironically I seem to have collected almost as many Famicom carts in the last eight months as NES carts from '89 to '95.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey, does anyone here want to buy any of these loose games? I'll post in the b/s thread but thought people here might care:

Legend of Zelda FDS (w/ manual & disc case)
Super Mario 2 FDS (w/ manual & disc case)
Rockman 4

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Hey, does anyone here want to buy any of these loose games? I'll post in the b/s thread but thought people here might care:

Legend of Zelda FDS (w/ manual & disc case)
Super Mario 2 FDS (w/ manual & disc case)
Rockman 4

Do you have a Disk System you're willing to part with as well? Heh. :p

Mega

Banned
i've almost completed a collection of all Wonder Boy games and their various non-WB/Monster Land versions, like Dynastic Hero and Bikkuriman World. Messiest series of games ever.

Is there an article somewhere about the history of this series? A while back I picked up Monster Lair for TurboGrafx and was perplexed to learn it was not only Wonder Boy III, but one of two games with that title! I became curious about the relationship between Adventure Island, Wonder Boy, Monster sub-series, the Lair shooter, plus the other games like Dynastic Hero. I read about it in Wikipedia but was hoping for something more in-depth with pictures.

D.Lo

Is there an article somewhere about the history of this series? A while back I picked up Monster Lair for TurboGrafx and was perplexed to learn it was not only Wonder Boy III, but one of two games with that title! I became curious about the relationship between Adventure Island, Wonder Boy, Monster sub-series, the Lair shooter, plus the other games like Dynastic Hero. I read about it in Wikipedia but was hoping for something more in-depth with pictures.
HG101 has a comprehensive overview.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonderboy/wonderboy.htm

Scored 57710 on Adventure Island tonight. First time I've been able to get an extra life. Made it through Area 1 without losing a life for the first time, too.

JLynn

I'm in the middle of moving and I realize I had a lot of store credit at a retro game store I frequented. I ended up going for broke and got over $270 worth of goods and ended up paying $1.63 out of pocket. Among them is the crown jewel of the lot, a complete in box NES Action Set with the gray Zapper. Complete down to the warranty brochure and and the two 75-300 ohm adapters for older TV sets. They were kind enough to replace the 72 pin connector.

OnPoint

That's awesome Jlynn! Good luck on the move.

Thread members: Do we want to put a vote together for the next month? Or would we be good playing, oh, I don't know, Blaster Master? I've been hankering to play that one anyway and it clocks in at a relatively cheap 9 dollars US. If not we can open voting and start making nominations. I'll go with the majority opinion on this one, say, up until Sunday night.

Morfeo

I think in general the voting system is good since that lets everybody participate and nominate, but personally, i dont have anything against Blaster Master, or that we do it like this once in a while like we did with Adventure Island this month. Im sure the voting-process also is time consuming.

OnPoint

Yeah, it can be time consuming, but it's really not that bad. I'm just kinda busy this month and was trying to find the lazy way out haha

If we'd rather vote, we can do that. We'd still need 5 nominations asap if so.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I did this a couple years ago! Most of them were pretty easy, but Donkey Kong Jr. Math was an absolute beating. I searched for months to even find one... and it was far and away the most expensive.

EPIHYlA.jpg

FzFVDQw.jpg

Very nice. I wouldn't be as concerned about boxes though, so I may be able to scoot by a bit less expensively.

Does anyone have any opinions on either of the Arkanoid Famicom sets?

FC%2B-%2BARKANOID%2B2%2B-%2BLFE%2B-%2BBV.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

They keep popping up on eBay and I really love the look of the little paddle controller.

And only over four purchases, mind you.

The Famicom itself came with eight carts, then I later bought a batch of eleven, won two auctions for CIB carts, and then six last week, so that's a total of...27.

It helps that the majority of them were less than $10, with only a few being $20 or more.

Ironically I seem to have collected almost as many Famicom carts in the last eight months as NES carts from '89 to '95.

Reminds me a bit of the beginning of my collection while living abroad.
I had a philosophy at the time that I didn't need 'stuff', that all the games I had over the ages were just weighing me down. I don't need 'stuff' to be happy..

Then I went to a game shop I discovered while riding my bicycle and exploring. Famicom carts for a couple bucks each. I started humbly with a couple, and thought I'd just bought them for fun, but it quickly became my hobby to go out exploring each weekend to hobby shops and junks shops, and expanding the collection, cart by cart.

I returned to the US at the end of 3 years with more than 700 unique games.. Collector for life.

You'll never get rid of the shame and disappointment of selling your childhood games to gamestop though, no matter howant games you buy.

That's awesome Jlynn! Good luck on the move.

Thread members: Do we want to put a vote together for the next month? Or would we be good playing, oh, I don't know, Blaster Master? I've been hankering to play that one anyway and it clocks in at a relatively cheap 9 dollars US. If not we can open voting and start making nominations. I'll go with the majority opinion on this one, say, up until Sunday night.

I nominate Bionic Commando, for reasons

Morfeo

Ducktales 1 is better, but I do like the sidequest with the hidden map in Ducktales 2. The level design is way better in the first one though.

Top Bottom