• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Teknoman

Always shocked at how much better jp box art is compared to everything else, except konami games. West got the good end of the spectrum there.

Also side quests in Ducktales 2? Would the Famicom version have a language barrier of sorts then?

BTails

Voting for Sept 2016 is now open!

Voting for Sept 2016 is now open!

I will be putting together my usual post with images and box arts on Weds. But I wanted to open the voting now. I will leave it open until Aug 22.

Voted! Though I'm still NES-less, hopefully I will be able to participate by September.
Voted Blaster Master, cause it has those mad good Sunsoft OST jams

IrishNinja

Look at this little guy I saved ��

man, FDS is so beautiful - congrats!

hey guys i found this neat book today. i remember having this as a kid:

sOPLbZih.jpg

8sylScmh.jpg

and i brought a game!

ixk48c6h.jpg

love that book (and most nintendo guides, but man that one's thorough), and Golgo 13 stays in my top 10, congrats!

D.Lo

Question for the CIB collectors here.

How do you feel about using something like tape on the inside of ripped boxes for cosmetic repair? I'd never put tape on the outside because it looks tacky as hell. But what about a small strip or two on, say, the underside of a flap that's been ripped? Not terribly worried about value here, just wondering if others think it's poor form...?
Who cares what other people think, they're your games!

But hell yeah I would tape the inside if it improved structural integrity of a box. With some minor repair and a box protector and you can get a pretty nice looking game presentation in some cases.

-KRS-

Some of the sold loose ones are actually cib. But yeah there are several actual loose ones with one or two games and a controller going for around $90... Insane.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Has the system spiked? Glad I am mostly finished with my Nes-collection as of now. Only a few like Jetsons i still need to get.

So I got my FDSStick. I can't actually use it yet because the RAM adapter is still on the way.

I plugged it in and used the software here to load up some of my FDS backups, and it automatically updated the firmware when I ran the software. So if you're on an older version of the hardware, try that and see if you get the OSD.

K, got the RAM Adapter yesterday. It works. It works just about perfectly.

Not sure what else to say, everything I tried loaded, there are still load times of course and double tapping the button to change to side B is a bit annoying but... yeah everything works, audio is accurate, the way the Famicom Disk System screen shifts into the FDSStick menu is pretty slick.

Considering the price, and the fact that you can even use it to backup disks+saves to a PC, I'd highly recommend this.

I was just randomly browsing Price Charting for the NES and jeez what have you done to the prices NES Mini.

It sure makes me glad I bit the bullet when I did and got a NES before that Price Jump.

Jesus ugh, I stick 100% to Famicom stuff but that's still really annoying.

JLynn

The price of my NES was $165 complete in box. Considering the cheapest for a boxed NES Action set on ebay was $157 I'd say I got it for a fair price (Heck, the ones sold on Ebay aren't technically complete!).

K, got the RAM Adapter yesterday. It works. It works just about perfectly.

Not sure what else to say, everything I tried loaded, there are still load times of course and double tapping the button to change to side B is a bit annoying but... yeah everything works, audio is accurate, the way the Famicom Disk System screen shifts into the FDSStick menu is pretty slick.

Considering the price, and the fact that you can even use it to backup disks+saves to a PC, I'd highly recommend this.

Excellent. I think I will bite on this soon, and sell the disk games I have, with a few exceptions for collecting purposes.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Yeah, I preordered one and am working to get an upgrade to "reviewer speed" shipping. I'll try and do a thorough hands-on with video, screens, etc., comparing it to original hardware, Analogue NT, testing Akumajou Densetsu and Lagrange Point carts, the usual.

Yeah, I preordered one and am working to get an upgrade to "reviewer speed" shipping. I'll try and do a thorough hands-on with video, screens, etc., comparing it to original hardware, Analogue NT, testing Akumajou Densetsu and Lagrange Point carts, the usual.

Sounds great. I am looking forward to your analysis.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Excited to get some impressions. Either way it's probably the best option for those of us that don't want to go the RGB mod + CRT route, especially with the Analogue NT being $Texas, but I'd like some piece of mind before I drop my cash.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
That's definitely my hope. I've been extolling the virtues of proper HD NES gaming for a year now and would love to be able to recommend an economical, high-quality device for everyone to share the pleasure.

man, FDS is so beautiful - congrats!
Thanks friend! I found all that at a swap meet, which was our first time me and my wife went to. I am still flabbergasted that I came across it. Just sitting there in a pile of random stuff at some dudes booth. I scored it for $60 bucks! Luckily there's a local retro game store that was open and went to get the proper connections and a Famicom cart to test it. The Famicom is fine, but the FDS doesn't read the discs. Looks like someone popped it open already and tried to tinker with it since it only had 3 screws of different sizes and tools needed.

The price of my NES was $165 complete in box. Considering the cheapest for a boxed NES Action set on ebay was $157 I'd say I got it for a fair price (Heck, the ones sold on Ebay aren't technically complete!).

When did demand pick up? A few months ago I tried to sell a near complete (only thing missing was Super Mario Bros 3, otherwise all paperwork, bags and packaging) and unbelievably mint Challenge set for 160 shipped here on GAF and didn't get a single bite.

JLynn

Question. If one has a NES model 2 and a Famicom to NES adapter, can one plug the FDS ram cart on the adapter and be able to play FDS games on the NES Model 2?

Also, for those who have it, how are the 8BitDo Bluetooth NES retro receivers?

Mega

Banned
Anyone getting a Hi-Def NES? All said and done, it's a big premium in price over the AVS.

If AVS had scaling in a 1080p frame (or I had a 4K TV), it would be a no-brainer.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Woot, won an auction for Darkwing Duck. First actual NES cartridge I've bought in a few years.

I was looking up CIB prices for the NES games I still have boxes for from my childhood...Christ Mega Man 5 is going for $200 to $400, that's crazy. I might have to list mine eventually and just pick up it up for the Famicom instead.

I pulled out the ends of my boxes and put them up in storage about ten years ago to keep them from getting crushed. Crazy to think how much some of those are worth these days. (Though MMV is likely the most valuable of the bunch.)

D.Lo

Question. If one has a NES model 2 and a Famicom to NES adapter, can one plug the FDS ram cart on the adapter and be able to play FDS games on the NES Model 2?
Yes, but you'll get no expansion audio, so it's not very good. You can mod the console an adapter to make it work, but better off getting an AV Fami at that point.

Also, for those who have it, how are the 8BitDo Bluetooth NES retro receivers?
Apart from not having the original button layout on their Fami/NES pads, they're great. Sync really quickly and work perfectly.

Anyone getting a Hi-Def NES? All said and done, it's a big premium in price over the AVS.

If AVS had scaling in a 1080p frame (or I had a 4K TV), it would be a no-brainer.

I have a kit pre-ordered. I don't think it's a big premium in price over the AVS. My kit was only like 125 if I remember right, which is cheaper than an AVS.

Just pulled the trigger on another CIB black box game. Only six more to go (not including Stack Up and DK Jr Math)...
I just love the black box games. I tend to fire those up just as much as the later NES releases. Certainly a lot of nostalgia at work but those arcade-type experiences lend themselves to quick pick up and play sessions.

I believe I own all of the black boxes except the two you mentioned and Golf and Tennis. I think I owned the latter two at one point but I believe they were casualties of "playground trades" back in the day. I consider NES Open a successor to Golf but I still enjoy the streamlined presentations of Golf and Tennis.

I don't actually own a Famicom. I've just been using a converter piece from Gyromite to play my Famicom games for the time being. I guess what I'm asking is, what's the best option? I want one where I can unplug the controllers.

Oh! Then AV is going to be the route you want to take. It uses the same controller ports as the NES, and has the additional EXT port that the Famicom uses so you can plug in Famicom specific controllers. I use my EXT port for stuff like my Super Controller II and my Hyper Shot and Arkanoid controller for example.

Tain

for what it's worth, making your own NES to Famicom controller adapter is eaaasy, but I'd still suggest getting an AV Famicom.

Mega

Banned
I have a kit pre-ordered. I don't think it's a big premium in price over the AVS. My kit was only like 125 if I remember right, which is cheaper than an AVS.

It's already out, right? I've already seen some complete modded consoles for sale online.

I was factoring in all costs I would need to pay:
$125 for the Hi Def kit
$85 for install (I have no soldering skills or tools!)
$100 for AV Fami shipped from Japan
$24? for USPS flatrate shipping to/from modder

I'm not complaining however. This looks like an amazing mod worth every penny.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just pulled the trigger on another CIB black box game. Only six more to go (not including Stack Up and DK Jr Math)...

Nice, if I had the cash this would be one of my collection aims. When the old Facebook Gamewheels were going on I did bet a few bucks on a CIB Stack Up that included all the gyro parts (alas, didn't win).

It's already out, right? I've already seen some complete modded consoles for sale online.

I was factoring in all costs I would need to pay:
$125 for the Hi Def kit
$85 for install (I have no soldering skills or tools!)
$100 for AV Fami shipped from Japan
$24? for USPS flatrate shipping to/from modder

I'm not complaining however. This looks like an amazing mod worth every penny.

It's up for pre-order, with the first batch of pre-orders hopefully shipping soon. Though the first batch of actual mod kits sold out a month or two ago.

Well I mean ok I guess if you put it that way, though I don't know if its a completely fair argument. I get it for you, but the statement seemed more in general, and in that case I'd give you the 85 dollars for the install.

Way I see it IN GENERAL is 210 (kit + install) vs 185 for the AVS.

Just got my Famicom Disk Stick!

Question:

Will the roms be detected and readable if each in a compressed folder, or do I need to unzip them?

Also just got my everdrive.. Same question for this one too.

Someone had a really helpful page or list of instructions regarding setting up the Famicom Disk Stick, but I can't recall where that was... Anyone happen to know?

Just got my Famicom Disk Stick!

Question:

Will the roms be detected and readable if each in a compressed folder, or do I need to unzip them?

Also just got my everdrive.. Same question for this one too.

Someone had a really helpful page or list of instructions regarding setting up the Famicom Disk Stick, but I can't recall where that was... Anyone happen to know?

With both you have to have them uncompressed. As for the page to set up the FDS Stick, I just used the program that was provided on the website and it loaded up at least one rom for me at a time, but I was never able to get multiple roms loaded up. My friend on the other hand was able to get the menu to load up with multiple games when I gave him my 128mb stick. I bought the 256 model and had the same issue. I'm asking Loopy about it atm to see what the issue might be, because it's clearly on my end.

With both you have to have them uncompressed. As for the page to set up the FDS Stick, I just used the program that was provided on the website and it loaded up at least one rom for me at a time, but I was never able to get multiple roms loaded up. My friend on the other hand was able to get the menu to load up with multiple games when I gave him my 128mb stick. I bought the 256 model and had the same issue. I'm asking Loopy about it atm to see what the issue might be, because it's clearly on my end.

Thanks!

I see there are separate roms for B sides of the disk.. Do I need to rename them, combine them somehow, or does the famicom disck stick just know somehow? I mean, they won't be considered separate games on the menu, will they?

I know I'll need to press the button once for side A, twice for side B, but I'm curious how it knows what to do, if that is indeed the case.

Thanks!

I see there are separate roms for B sides of the disk.. Do I need to rename them, combine them somehow, or does the famicom disck stick just know somehow? I mean, they won't be considered separate games on the menu, will they?

I know I'll need to press the button once for side A, twice for side B, but I'm curious how it knows what to do, if that is indeed the case.

Are there? Usually the roms I get have one rom total, it should be A and B side together.

Huggers

Trying to compile a list of obscure NES games for my youtube that people might not have played. I have a few ideas but wanted some more input. Any suggestions?

Trying to compile a list of obscure NES games for my youtube that people might not have played. I have a few ideas but wanted some more input. Any suggestions?

Mario/Duck Hunt

This way we can drive the market up on something like that on Youtube and let some other games go down ;3

In all seriousness? I don't know. A lot's been covered already...

Anyone have a personal top ten or twenty for NES exclusives? I'd like to round things out sooner rather than later. I've waited on a couple and have seen their prices steadily rise..

If anything, I ought to purge a lot from my famicom collection, but if there's something I don't have much of, it's good NES exclusives.

Top Bottom