• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to grab Lee Trevino and Grand Slam when I see them.

For some reason I actually have Greg Norman, it felt sort of uncommon/rare when I saw it, heh.

I do think it is rare for the most part. It's just also horrible. Really bad. I liked golf games and golf itself when I was young.

rest of my nes stuff came today and im sitting here contemplating buying the zombie nation for 160 on amazon
You're the only person I've seen that has Shingen the Ruler. Always an interesting game even though I was never very good at it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was jealous of every kid that had an NES when I was stuck with my Atari 2600. I never had an NES during its prime and instead bought one in the mid-90s, long after I had a Super NES. The Mario games are my obvious standouts, all of which I love to go back and play. Adventure of Link is high on the list too for its uniqueness, as well as Dragon Quest III.

I do admit I love the dog-bone controller much more than the original.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Does anyone know why Europe hated ninjas back then? It was also in TMNT which was Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in Europe. Did some politician get assassinated by a ninja or something?

Sometime in the 80s the UK started banning ninja-related stuff. Nunchakus, shurikens, etc were censored. Not sure what the root cause was; whether they felt the surge in popularity of martial arts movies was a bad influence, or if some kid threw a shuriken at another kid.

-KRS-

Sometime in the 80s the UK started banning ninja-related stuff. Nunchakus, shurikens, etc were censored. Not sure what the root cause was; whether they felt the surge in popularity of martial arts movies was a bad influence, or if some kid threw a shuriken at another kid.

Ah I see. That sounds plausible. A bit like how they banned Power Rangers, at least in Sweden, in the 90s after some kids beat another kid to death after watching the show. But the rebranding of things like TMNT was just dumb though, since they were still fighting and all that. Just they weren't ninjas. But they even had ninja weapons still. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ah I see. That sounds plausible. A bit like how they banned Power Rangers, at least in Sweden, in the 90s after some kids beat another kid to death after watching the show. But the rebranding of things like TMNT was just dumb though, since they were still fighting and all that. Just they weren't ninjas. But they even had ninja weapons still. :p
I can't remember if it were in game, or just the label on the toy, but PAL version of FFVIII's Selphie didn't carry nunchaku... She carried "sticks of death". Which is better somehow :p

Zing

Banned
Does anyone know why Europe hated ninjas back then? It was also in TMNT which was Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in Europe. Did some politician get assassinated by a ninja or something?
It had to do with marketing toward children. Toys and video games were considered for children, and anything excessively violent was prohibited. Ninja was on the list. Nunchaku were specifically prohibited, which apparently led to all scenes with Michaelangelo being edited on British television. Apparently, nunchaku were banned from all films and TV, even when rated for adults.

I did some reading and apparently He-Man also suffered a similar fate. Commercials for the toys were not even permitted during children's programming!

-KRS-

Oh I didn't realize they actually edited out things from cartoons and such. Wow. I don't think they did that over here.

And lol @ Selphie's Sticks of Death. That sounds awesome haha.

Picked up a few things today:

ueJL2s3.jpg

This is why I wish more things were cheap; I have never heard of Dynowarz or To the Earth, but they have awesome labels and are cheap, so I bought them.

Chairhome

ueJL2s3.jpg

This is why I wish more things were cheap; I have never heard of Dynowarz or To the Earth, but they have awesome labels and are cheap, so I bought them.
Nice! Were these from goodwill or something? I remember all those games cause I used to rent everything. Being a kid at that time was awesome

Nice! Were these from goodwill or something? I remember all those games cause I used to rent everything. Being a kid at that time was awesome

Small chain called Disc Replay. Mostly located in Illinois and Indiana. They have a buy five get one free thing also, so two of those $1.99 games were free (got some SNES stuff as well). There is no price limit on the B5G1 either, so I've used it to get some higher value stuff like Chrono Trigger before.

ueJL2s3.jpg

To the Earth sucks but Dynowarz is a really memorable game from my childhood and I remember renting it for the same reason you bought it.

I loved the "cutscene" shots of the giant dinosaur mechs

dynowarz-destruction-of-spondylus-u-201208212230001.jpg

ueJL2s3.jpg

Dynowarz has an awesome cover, but the actual game isn't very good at all... it's a bland and disappointing game to play with a great cover and title.

As for To the Earth, though, it's a good game. It's just INSANELY hard. It's a lightgun game, so get out your CRT and Zapper, it requires them. Even standing right in front of the screen, though, I still found it too hard to get very far in... the enemy ships are small and fly quickly across the screen. Hard, hard game. I like the concept and graphics though.

Startropics is so awesome though, it's almost certainly my favorite NES action-RPG. :)

Damn, this thread. All the FAMICOMS. I only saw the first Famicom out in the wild at a thrift store for the first time ever about a year ago.

We don't have a lot of NES games. The potential to just go out and grab hundreds of em is there - the Portland Retro Gaming Expo makes opportunities like that fairly reachable every year, but instead, the wife & I have kinda curated a collection of about 20 carts. The list has shifted over time - some got sold back to the CD Game/Exchanges, some were gifted, but this is the 20+ as it stands now:

Kid Icarus
Goonies II
Zelda II
TMNT: Manhattan Project
TMNT: The Arcade Game
River City Ransom
Batman
Blaster Master
Blades of Steel
RC Pro-Am
Adventure Island
Rainbow Island
Bubble Bobble
Bubble Bobble Part 2 (this one is pretty rare)
Spy Hunter
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario Bros 2
Castlevania

We really should, at some point, drop the 2-3 bucks it'd cost us to pick up the SMB/Duck Hunt & SMB3 carts (even though we have Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES) just to round it out.

Also - kinda surprised we don't have ANY of the Mega Mans. should probably get on that, too.

Surprised to not see Chrontendo mentioned. A link should absolutely be in the OP and it should be mandatory watching for any NES fan. This is the definitive web video series about the Famicom/NES. A chronological playthrough of every single Famicom/NES game, starting with Donkey Kong in '83. It's got tons of interesting and obscure info on games and their developers and Dr. Sparkle (the presenter) has a very soothing voice that's just great to listen to. (and the way he says "Neen-ja" is awesome). He's currently up to mid '89 and there's something like 45 episodes out (each from 1h to 1h20m long)... He also is doing the chron-gaming thing for the Sega Master System/Genesis and PC Engine.

Hell yes. To be honest, a lot of the reason I haven't bought more carts is because I've watched a LOT of Chrontendo, and it turns out a LOT of NES games aren't as good as I remember them. But that series is fascinating.

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
This thread has totally inspired me to get myself back into picking up physical carts for my collection. Small as it is at this time I have:

8 Eyes
Abadox
Adventure island
Adventures of Lolo
A Boy and His Blob
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Dragon Warrior
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda
Maniac Mansion
Mega Man II
Metal Storm
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden II
Shadowgate
Shatterhand
Super Mario bros/Duck Hunt
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
TMNT II: The Arcade Game
Tetris
Vice: Project Doom
Yoshi

Sorta pathetic honestly compared to all the glorious collections seen in this thread alone. But a decent start.

-KRS-

Dragon Warrior Excitebike

Whoa "Dragon Warrior Excitebike"?! That sounds rad. :D

But seriously, that is definitely a good start in my opinion. I only see good to great games on that list. And you have some must-haves and some great obscure games as well. I'd say your taste in NES games is impeccable so far.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Friend came over and I beat Goonies II thanks to the aid of the Official Nintendo Players Guide. Really impressive game for '87, with lots of nonlinear elements, backtracking, secrets to find, etc. If you actually know what you're doing (or have a guide, like me :p), the game isn't all that long (~3 hours)

Our next task is beating Rygar. Never did make it very far back in the day...

Also picked up a copy of Kid Niki: Radical Ninja. Made it to about the 4th stage before I got frustrated when all these killer bubbles came up from the ground to kill us. NINJA SCHOOL WILL HELP YOU - love it...

I managed to get a Battle Kid 2 order in.

Which in itself was another feat of good timing, it sold out again in a couple of hours, this time I didn't wait to ponder.

-KRS-

^Chip n Dale is a good game that is worth owning. But it's very easy. I beat it the first time I played it. I mean Duck Tales is also pretty easy, but this is like REALLY easy. Still it's definitely worth owning and is great with 2 players.

Friend came over and I beat Goonies II thanks to the aid of the Official Nintendo Players Guide. Really impressive game for '87, with lots of nonlinear elements, backtracking, secrets to find, etc. If you actually know what you're doing (or have a guide, like me :p), the game isn't all that long (~3 hours)

Our next task is beating Rygar. Never did make it very far back in the day...

Also picked up a copy of Kid Niki: Radical Ninja. Made it to about the 4th stage before I got frustrated when all these killer bubbles came up from the ground to kill us. NINJA SCHOOL WILL HELP YOU - love it...

Goonies II is seriously great. It doesn't look like much if you're just watching a quick gameplay video of it on youtube, but when you actually play it you notice how great it is. Pretty deep game actually for its time. Such a great improvement over the first Goonies game. Still haven't beaten it though... I should get on that.

Picked up Rygar recently myself, but haven't played it much yet beyond testing it a little. But from what I played it seemed really damn good. It was my first time playing it. Can't believe I didn't buy it sooner. It's really cheap too usually.

Haven't played much of Kid Niki (only tried it quickly on my Powerpak) but I just love that cheerful music in the first stage. So simple sounding, but so catchy that I still remember it. I have it playing in my head right now. :D But the game itself seemed a little too simplistic to warrant a buy. But maybe I had played a mindblowing game just before it or something.

Zing

Banned
Objective review of Chip N Dale after playing it again: mindlessly easy, cooperative is more frustrating than fun, sound effects border on intolerable.

Rygar is one of those games that you wish you had completed, but actually completing it isn't that interesting. I find that there is a lot of that in retro games. Games that you would like to have the memory and experience of having played it through, but isn't actually that fun to play. You really have to be honest with yourself about what you will play and enjoy, rather than what you would like to have played and enjoyed. Otherwise, you end up wasting time, money, and space on dozens of games that aren't worth any of the three.

Kickmaster is pretty damn cool and definitely worth playing. I completed it and will start on the "second quest" soon.

As for To the Earth, though, it's a good game. It's just INSANELY hard. It's a lightgun game, so get out your CRT and Zapper, it requires them. Even standing right in front of the screen, though, I still found it too hard to get very far in... the enemy ships are small and fly quickly across the screen. Hard, hard game. I like the concept and graphics though.

Startropics is so awesome though, it's almost certainly my favorite NES action-RPG. :)

This is no bullshit. My brother and I both played it multiple times and couldn't get to Uranus (first level). Is pretty addicting, though.

I've never played StarTropics. I know what it is, but never actually played it. I started it up just to make sure it worked after cleaning them all, was rather amused by the blatant Zelda start menu.

Archon is a game I highly recommend for 2 player matches with friends.

I fucking loved Archon for the Commodore 64. Didn't know there was an NES version. Have to check it out.

baphomet

I picked up Little Nemo, The Little Mermaid, and Bible Adventures today at the flea market for $13. Pretty good deal I think.

As for To The Earth, I rented a game genie back in the day just so I could finish that game. It was fun, but it was evilishly hard.

Asparagus

Picked up DuckTales and Tiny Toon Adventures. I forgot how cheap Tiny Toons can be but it's still pretty fun. Buster is useless though.

Also regarding Shadow Warriors, I've seen other European releases that has a slightly different boxart, where the protagonist doesn't have a ninja mask on and instead you can see his face. The Scandinavian one is like that. The one I have is French I believe. Not sure why they would do that, though maybe it has something to do with the fact that Europe seemed to have something against Ninjas back then for some reason.

And they also completely removed the subtitle "Ninja Gaiden" on it as well I see.

They were worried kids would try and copy the moves or whatever I believe, that's the explanation that gets bandied about anyway. SEGA released their version of Ninja Gaiden for the SMS with the name in tact though, not sure why but maybe it wasn't such a big deal by that point.

That unmasked Shadow Warriors box art looks really weird to me for some reason ^^;

asa

I figured this might be good thread to share this:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14109231/NESMUSICBOX.html

nes.jpg

It's an Unity web player thing I've been working on for few days. I call it Nes music box, it's basicly a Nes experience simulator, you can change cartridges and listen to the theme songs, and now you can do other stuff as well.. I recommend watching the new show on channel 5, I heard it's radical!

-KRS-

It's pretty great yeah, and sort of unique. Hard as balls though. But for $6 I would definitely get it. It's well made and has good gameplay.

Edit: Actually, I don't know what it usually goes for. Maybe someone else can answer if it's worth $6 or not. But it is a good game at least. For me it would be worth $6, but I'm in Sweden where most NES games I want are at least $10...

As someone who lives in South America find NES games is really an adventure: You see, here people just started to know eBay five years ago and prices get very high, BUT, there are still some black marketplace where you can find very obscure games.

Because of that reason, prices here are really stupid: Gradius, who is popular, can be sell at 30 bucks, BUT games that are rare and people don't know about it's obscurity are very cheap. I buy Flinstones 2: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak with only 4 dollars.

As someone who lives in South America find NES games is really an adventure: You see, here people just started to know eBay five years ago and prices get very high, BUT, there are still some black marketplace where you can find very obscure games.

Because of that reason, prices here are really stupid: Gradius, who is popular, can be sell at 30 bucks, BUT games that are rare and people don't know about it's obscurity are very cheap. I buy Flinstones 2: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak with only 4 dollars.

Wow!

Chairhome

I figured this might be good thread to share this:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14109231/NESMUSICBOX.html

nes.jpg

It's an Unity web player thing I've been working on for few days. I call it Nes music box, it's basicly a Nes experience simulator, you can change cartridges and listen to the theme songs, and now you can do other stuff as well.. I recommend watching the new show on channel 5, I heard it's radical!

That was pretty awesome!

Teknoman

Anyone know why Hardcore gaming 101 is banned on GAF all of a sudden? I was trying to edit the OP and all of a sudden its a banned url?

bh7812

Banned

Holy shit!!!! 4 bucks!? I'm sitting here looking for two zeroes after the 4 and not seeing them...oh wow. well, you've just come about as close to winning a lotto as most will come. That one game is obscenely expensive! Last I looked they were selling for 2 to 300 bucks!! So, you really couldn't have hoped to get any luckier. Just DO NOT sell it unless you need some life or death surgery! You'll not see it ever again, sure as hell won't see it for 4 bucks again!

I mean damn guys, I've been lucky enough to play every one of the ~700 NES and Super NES games and have seen Flintstones 2 ONE time..the time I rented it when it came out.

I was lucky enough to have a very good locally-owned Video store literally less than 2 minutes from my house in the 90s owned by a great guy who sadly I don't know if he's still alive or not. I've written a bit about it in past posts. At one point, he sold the ENTIRE 700 some odd NES and Super NES game collections. Complete with boxes, instruction booklets, everything. I was given first crack at it because of how well I knew him but even with a discount, the asking price for both together was brutal..which I understand, I'm still kicking myself for not trying to work something out at the time. If I'd had, I would have both complete system libraries, the only thing I'd be missing is a World Championship cart!!

Anyway, I will be able to put my 2 cents into the thread too and should be at least of some help here!

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
Went to the parents home yesterday and recovered:

Adventures of Bayou Billy
Amagon
Astyanax
Blaster Master
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
Contra
Gargoyle's Quest II
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Kung Fu
Punch Out
Rygar
Sky Kid (Complete in box)
Super Mario bros III
TMNT II: The Arcade Game (Complete in box)
Zoda's Revenge

And my original zapper gun along with the box for 8 Eyes but no manual.
So yeah, it was a damn good day.

Holy shit!!!! 4 bucks!? I'm sitting here looking for two zeroes after the 4 and not seeing them...oh wow. well, you've just come about as close to winning a lotto as most will come. That one game is obscenely expensive! Last I looked they were selling for 2 to 300 bucks!! So, you really couldn't have hoped to get any luckier. Just DO NOT sell it unless you need some life or death surgery! You'll not see it ever again, sure as hell won't see it for 4 bucks again!

I mean damn guys, I've been lucky enough to play every one of the ~700 NES and Super NES games and have seen Flintstones 2 ONE time..the time I rented it when it came out.

The bad side of the story is that people here in my country has started to buy every single copy of Flinstones 2 and buy it on eBay with the actual price, i was definitely lucky that day... but it was common at some point, in fact i have three more friends who have a copy, one of them complete with the box and instructions, the fortune of the third world, i guess.

Top Bottom