• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Onimusha Anime

Netflix and Capcom have announced Onimusha, an anime based on the video game series of the same name.

Netflix describes, “The beginning of the Edo period, Musashi is no longer a young man. He departs with the legendary Oni Gauntlet to defeat the Genma. 3D CGI characters and hand-drawn backgrounds create phenomenal visuals. Onimusha is given a new life using modern-day animation technology.”
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/netflix-announces-onimusha-anime

Onimusha making a comeback?

Fbh

But what about after the excellent Castlevania and Cyberpunk anime series?

They have nothing to do with this.

People overestimate the influence Netflix had on everything they just pay to distribute (probably because the slap the "Netflix original" on everything).

Cyberpunk was a coproduction between CD project red and Studio trigger. A new show from a different dev by a different animation studio has nothing to do with it.

The only thing I know is the last time Capcom made an anime based on one of their properties it sucked so I have no reason to be excited for this.

Also IMO Castlevania sucked after S2

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

People overestimate the influence Netflix had on everything they just pay to distribute (probably because the slap the "Netflix original" on everything).

Cyberpunk was a coproduction between CD project red and Studio trigger. A new show from a different dev by a different animation studio has nothing to do with it.

The only thing I know is the last time Capcom made an anime based on one of their properties it sucked so I have no reason to be excited for this.

Not sure about the animation but Takashi Miike is one of the best japanese directors of all time.

At least the story and action are going to be good.

Last edited:

Labolas

Larry David Reaction GIF

If this is going to be a Netflix original then I don't have faith in this being good. The last video game anime Netflix did was amateurish, low budget, and forgettable

kunonabi

I'd say it sucked starting with episode 2

FeralEcho

I mean,it's Netflix so there's like a 50/50 chance it will be either good or bad so I'm not holding my breath.

But on the other hand this could mean a comeback for the series with a new game made by curent Capcom which is hype as hell.We shall see.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No Tekken. Studio Trigger did Edgerunners.

damn thats crazy, its almost if you have to fucking factor the studio doing it....wooooooow /s

I just saw Netflix Tekken Anime. What a crap. Hard to believe that Edgerunner and Arcane are on the same platform.

lol thats like saying you played Ghost Of Tsushima and it was amazing, but you played Fifa and it was shit and was like "hard to believe its on the same platform" lol

So...I don't think many of you understand that the shows on Netflix are done by different studios, its not some big room called "Netflix" and all the content is made by one person, it would be like assuming Sekrio was made by the Call Of Duty team cause Activision published. So if you can understand a good game being on a platform along with a bad game, if you can even understand a publisher putting out shit games and a good game, but by different teams....you can understand this.

Its not that hard and I find many seem to have odd assumptions with how any of that works.

This is being done by the studio that did Dragon's Dogma, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop and Walking Meat (underrated anime)

So might be some truth into them working on a new Onimusha and this is part of that marketing push.

I want a video game sequel, not an anime

Well they are probably working on one and this studio makes anime, not video games so it won't hurt any game being made. I'd rather the money it spent on this to market the series as they will spend more marketing the next Onimusha, then it cost to make this anime. Maybe those marketing dollars make sense put in an anime, then a series of ads. My view anyway.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Netflix’s having to feed their hungry audiences is trigger a lot of new content being made. Would not mind mini series or feature length movies instead of series though. Always fear series are padded for runtime.

Labolas

damn thats crazy, its almost if you have to fucking factor the studio doing it....wooooooow /s
No, it was coproduced by Studio Trigger and Cd Projekt Red and Netflix only distribute it, so the circumstances are different. The Tekken anime is more or less a Netflix original. It was hobbled together by two different animation studios and wasn't push out there with a known studio behind it. Just that it was a Netflix anime.

EDMIX

No, it was coproduced by Studio Trigger and Cd Projekt Red and Netflix only distribute it, so the circumstances are different. The Tekken anime is more or less a Netflix original.

Yea....soooooo Studio Hibari and Larx did Tekken.

That wasn't made by Netflix, that was done by 2 studios and "Netflix only distribute it"

GymWolf GymWolf True, they leak from Capcom did state "new" Onimusha, so its likely both. As in they'll do a collection and some new title, as i doubt internally they'd ever list something as new that is a remaster or collection. They would need to get some collection out imho to then sell a new title to a series many don't even know. A lot of us older gamers might know the series, but most of the gaming landscape younger then us won't have a clue so it'd make sense to remaster those older ones too.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Oooh I'm so interested how this'll turn out. Love the games.

Not sure about the animation but Takashi Miike is one of the best japanese directors of all time.

At least the story and action are going to be good.
Thanks for giving me hope. So excited for this.

TLZ

Banned

That wasn't made by Netflix, that was done by 2 studios and "Netflix only distribute it"

GymWolf GymWolf True, they leak from Capcom did state "new" Onimusha, so its likely both. As in they'll do a collection and some new title, as i doubt internally they'd ever list something as new that is a remaster or collection. They would need to get some collection out imho to then sell a new title to a series many don't even know. A lot of us older gamers might know the series, but most of the gaming landscape younger then us won't have a clue so it'd make sense to remaster those older ones too.
Imo it's the perfect time to ride that Japanese 3rd person sword slashing wave now with games like Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh, Sekiro, the new announced one, etc making big splashes around.

CosmicComet

I enjoyed the Dragon's Dogma anime a lot actually, as short lived as that was.

Didn't care for Castlevania at all after the first season, and even still it had god awful amateurish dialogue with the f bombs every other line.

VN1X

Banned
This is cool and all but I want the other games remastered. :(

I've always been interested in this franchise but only actually played the original (remaster) recently because I didn't own a PS2 back in the day (not until much later anyway). Really hope we are still getting the rest of the games as remasters some time.

EDMIX

This is cool and all but I want the other games remastered. :(

I've always been interested in this franchise but only actually played the original (remaster) recently because I didn't own a PS2 back in the day (not until much later anyway). Really hope we are still getting the rest of the games as remasters some time.

When they remaster them, you'll see why many love that series. I was always surprised why they never remastered or put them in a collection even though Capcom of all publishers loves doing that.

So I never understood why Viewtiful Joe and Onimusha where just left behind while making 100x versions of RE4 lol That series is one of my favorite from that generation and one of the reasons outside of Xenosaga that bring up the PS2 or BC PS3. I'd say maybe once every generation I go thru that whole series.

Labolas

Uh, yeah, didn't know that didya? My point being we didn't even know who was animating Tekken, only Tekken was being streamed on Netflix, hence why I said more or less a Netflix original anime. Both studios did pretty poor job of handling the Tekken anime. With Cyberpunk, we knew about the studio who was producing it even before Netflix grab the streaming rights to it.

EDMIX

My point being we didn't even know who was animating Tekken,

Smh, speak only for yourself and stop expending your ignorance to others. I knew who made Tekken as I follow many anime studios.

"Both studios did pretty poor job of handling the Tekken anime" Then say that about the studio in general vs trying to force some false narrative that its based on "netflix".

With Cyberpunk, we knew about the studio who was producing it even before Netflix grab the streaming rights to it.

Again sir, that can only be said about yourself. All you are saying is you where ignorant to who made one of those Anime before it released or something, thats it.

Knowing about a team was not a fucking secret and the other some thing on a billboard or something lol The information regarding both was open and available for you to freely look up before spreading such a false bias.

All anyone can say regarding this is 2 Anime by studios not owned by Netflix were made, 1 you think is good, one you think is bad.

Thats it.

Last edited:

Labolas

Smh, speak only for yourself and stop expending your ignorance to others. I knew who made Tekken as I follow many anime studios.

"Both studios did pretty poor job of handling the Tekken anime" Then say that about the studio in general vs trying to force some false narrative that its based on "netflix".

Again sir, that can only be said about yourself. All you are saying is you where ignorant to who made one of those Anime before it released or something, thats it.

Knowing about a team was not a fucking secret and the other some thing on a billboard or something lol The information regarding both was open and available for you to freely look up before spreading such a false bias.

All anyone can say regarding this is 2 Anime by studios not owned by Netflix were made, 1 you think is good, one you think is bad.

Thats it.
Lol, sure, buddy, you knew. You follow all the anime studios. My point is that it wasn't even publicized at all who was doing at all. The only thing most people knew is that it is a Netflix anime.

It wasn't put out there that Studio Hibari and Larx were the ones producing the show.

Again Trigger had control and say over Edgerunners. You can't say the same for Hibari and Larx with Tekken. You can tell that they were strapped for time and were constrained. Studio Hibari btw did Land of Lustrous, which was highly regarded.

EDMIX

Lol, sure, buddy, you knew. You follow all the anime studios.

? Soooooo you think no one follows anime, but "we" knew who was doing Cyberpunk, but NO ONE knew who was doing Tekken?

Wow man, that is a level of delusion that I don't know what to do with man. Its like you are obtuse to the fact the same information can be obtained regarding both of them by fans of both of them.

My point is that it wasn't even publicized at all who was doing at all

Thats simply not true.

There goes your whole "wasn't even publicized"

You can only speak for you, your whole point is based on what you yourself didn't know or was ignorant of, not based on something that wasn't shown, known, made public etc.
Again Trigger had control and say over Edgerunners. You can't say the same for Hibari and Larx with Tekken

You have zero evidence that either deal differed. You are just fucking butthurt that one of those shows turned out good and one turned out bad, both on Netflix and trying to find some reason to pretend the Cyberpunk MUSSSST have some different deal or something. As far as we can see, both studios where known, both had deals with Netflix, it was never a secret as documented above factually by those studios and Netflix. So you can't even fucking say that one had control and the other didn't, you don't even have any evidence of any of that.

You can tell that they were strapped for time and were constrained.
I see no evidence of any of that. Your whole argument is "we" knew this or "you can tell" and don't give a link, no facts, just saying shit for the sake of it.
Studio Hibari btw did Land of Lustrous, which was highly regarded.
CDPR Did Witcher 3 which was highly regarded and yet still put out a broken mess with Cyperpunk..... Not all teams will pull out winners bud, in gaming or in Anime.

you literally can see them list the studios making this in the description area, be like "wasn't put out there" lol

I don't know where you got that this was some secret bud. All you are saying is you either can't read or you yourself didn't know who was making this, not that it wasn't known and that information was not publicly available.

Here is where I got to just put you in that ole ignore graveyard bud, you don't have anything to argue that either studios deals differed.

Last edited:

Labolas

? Soooooo you think no one follows anime, but "we" knew who was doing Cyberpunk, but NO ONE knew who was doing Tekken?

Wow man, that is a level of delusion that I don't know what to do with man. Its like you are obtuse to the fact the same information can be obtained regarding both of them by fans of both of them.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Thats simply not true.

There goes your whole "wasn't even publicized"

You can only speak for you, your whole point is based on what you yourself didn't know or was ignorant of, not based on something that wasn't shown, known, made public etc.

You have zero evidence that either deal differed. You are just fucking butthurt that one of those shows turned out good and one turned out bad, both on Netflix and trying to find some reason to pretend the Cyberpunk MUSSSST have some different deal or something. As far as we can see, both studios where known, both had deals with Netflix, it was never a secret as documented above factually by those studios and Netflix. So you can't even fucking say that one had control and the other didn't, you don't even have any evidence of any of that.

I see no evidence of any of that. Your whole argument is "we" knew this or "you can tell" and don't give a link, no facts, just saying shit for the sake of it.

CDPR Did Witcher 3 which was highly regarded and yet still put out a broken mess with Cyperpunk..... Not all teams will pull out winners bud, in gaming or in Anime.

you literally can see them list the studios making this in the description area, be like "wasn't put out there" lol

I don't know where you got that this was some secret bud. All you are saying is you either can't read or you yourself didn't know who was making this, not that it wasn't known and that information was not publicly available.

Here is where I got to just put you in that ole ignore graveyard bud, you don't have anything to argue that either studios deals differed.

So the shit you posted is stuff that was released AFTER the trailer dropped, which is my fucking point. I've never made the claim that the info was hidden nor am I butthurt over the fact that Tekken was bad, I talked about it in the anime thread, which I did praised several things they did. The info about the series wasn't put out there and plastered like Trigger was with Cyberpunk.

CDPR already knew how to make Witcher 3. They didn't with Cyberpunk, that is clear. This isn't the same thing as Tekken. Stop it with the false equivalences.

Plus not to mention, Trigger clearly had more time in production than Tekken Bloodline. The announcement about Cyberpunk Edgerunners was made TWO fucking years ago. No mention of it being a Netflix anime.

Not to mention when you watch the openings of these both shows, Edgerunners credits every staffer who worked on the series and Bloodline doesn't, which isn't the norm of most anime OPs. Again we did not know who were responsible for individual parts of Tekken.

Last edited:
Really hoping this trend of calling 3D-CGI "anime" dies soon. It's obviously cheaper and easier to produce these shows in 3D and so marketers have decided to try and convince everyone that they are the same thing. They are not.

The ugly stiff lifelessness of 3D models when compared to quality 2D animation is like night and day! Such a shame coz Onimusha is such an awesome IP that deserves a revival and this is how they decide to re-introduce it to the world. They didn't learn from that trash tier Dragons Dogma show? Love to be proven wrong but I assume this is gonna be fucking awful :(

(But atleast it probably means a new game is coming!!! Hype!!)

EDMIX

Really hoping this trend of calling 3D-CGI "anime" dies soon. It's obviously cheaper and easier to produce these shows in 3D and so marketers have decided to try and convince everyone that they are the same thing. They are not.

The ugly stiff lifelessness of 3D models when compared to quality 2D animation is like night and day! Such a shame coz Onimusha is such an awesome IP that deserves a revival and this is how they decide to re-introduce it to the world. They didn't learn from that trash tier Dragons Dogma show? Love to be proven wrong but I assume this is gonna be fucking awful :(

(But atleast it probably means a new game is coming!!! Hype!!)

lolz, you'll likely never see that trend die. Thats been going on btw for decades in Anime.

Lots of advantages to doing it this way for certain shows. If Capcom didn't want any of that, they would have had a different studio handle it or something, maybe they liked how Dragons Dogma looked or something. So though I don't favor the look, I try not to judge a work so quickly based on that and will still watch the whole thing and see how its used if its good or bad for the whole 3D thing.

I also believe this means 100% a game is coming lol

They need to Remaster Onimusha 2 and 3.
Oni 3 was all 3D based so it'll look fantastic in 4k

True, thats likely happening already.

Top Bottom