• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Officially Cancels “Santa Clarita Diet”

bitbydeath

Noooooooooooooooooo!
I loved that show. RIP :messenger_loudly_crying:

Netflix has made it official and cancelled its darkly comedic series “Santa Clarita Diet” after three seasons.

”The world had never known a ‘zom-com’ until Santa Clarita Diet, and we’re indebted to creator Victor Fresco for bringing this idea to Netflix. To their endless credit, the incredible Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant were totally game, with an uncanny knack for comedy that brought Sheila and Joel Hammond to vibrant life, even though one of them was undead. We’re grateful to Victor, Drew, and Timothy, along with fellow executive producers Tracy Katsky, Aaron Kaplan, Chris Miller and Ember Truesdell and the terrific cast, including Liv Hewson and Skyler Gisondo, and crew for three hilarious seasons for Netflix members to discover for years to come.”

source.gif

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Didn't even realise it had a 3rd season.

I think it might be a victim of being a 3rd party production company? Similar as to how Netflix pulled the plug on American Vandal as that was also

Increasingly they seem to be wanting to keep things in house now

Netflix is just listed as the distributor

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Definitely feels like Netflix already planned on cancelling Santa Clarita before the third season even aired. They didn't promote this show at all, I only knew about it, because it's on my watchlist.

It's a shame with how season 3 ended, I'd prefer not having to deal with another show ending with a huge cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
you know, i kinda feel like netflix should ask us before doing this shit

if the witcher ends up being good by some miracle and netflix pulls this shit, i'm gonna bounce

Ownage

Netflix has a half baked business model. They license Friends for 100M, and with their own successful franchises kill them just as they're beginning to rise in popularity. Perhaps this is so they can sell the IP to other broadcasters, but I've heard them refusing to sell a couple of shows, such as One Day at a Time, to ABC or other networks, even after fat stacks of cash were offered.

This may be another Silicon Valley business model of promote promote promote, and sell at a high, running far away. Smart investors will steer clear.

“Netflix’s fundamental business model seems unsustainable,” said Aswath Damodaran, a New York University finance professor, who has examined the company’s numbers closely. “I don’t see how it is going to work out.”
With increased competition looming in streaming video, he said, Netflix must keep spending enormous sums on content and marketing. If it cuts spending, he said, it is likely to lose much of its precious audience.

“Sure, the company is growing rapidly now,” he said. “It has an amazing number of new movies and TV shows. For a consumer, that’s great. But for an investor, it’s a different story: The more Netflix grows, the more its costs grow and the more money it burns. I’m not sure how it’s ever going to turn that around.”

Professor Damodaran posted a valuation model for Netflix on his blog, as an instruction tool. His model is based on a straightforward, well-established method — the discounted cash flow approach used by investment analysts around the world. At my request, he plugged the company’s latest numbers into that model to figure out what Netflix’s shares appear to be really worth. The results were startling.

The company’s shares, in his estimation, are worth buying as a serious investment only at about $177. But Netflix has been trading around $310 a share lately, after surpassing $400 earlier this year.
In a nutshell, the problem is the disparity between money in and money out — and Professor Damodaran’s presumption that Netflix’s costs must remain high, if it is to keep growing.

Netflix’s cash-flow statement indicates that in the 12 months through September, it spent $11.7 billion on new content. But its income statement indicates that total revenues were $14.9 billion, leaving it only about $3.2 billion to pay for marketing and the rest of its operations. That wasn’t enough to run the business, so the company has borrowed money.

On Monday, Netflix announced that it intended to borrow more, by selling $2 billion worth of bonds, which rating agencies say is below investment-grade. That comes on top of $8.3 billion in speculative-grade debt already on its balance sheet. The borrowing is likely to continue to grow as long as the company burns cash faster than its millions of subscribers send in money.

NetflixContentCosts.jpg

/QUOTE]

xrnzaaas

Haven't seen it at all, but was wanting to. Does season 3 end on a cliffhanger or does it wrap up?
There's a pretty big cliffhanger unfortunately. With that said it's still a show you can easily watch even if you know it won't get a proper ending, it's just pure fun and the cast is great. :)

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
you know, i kinda feel like netflix should ask us before doing this shit

if the witcher ends up being good by some miracle and netflix pulls this shit, i'm gonna bounce

That's an actual Netflix gig, so assuming it does well it should be good. As I pointed out earlier SCD, is a made by a separate production company, Netflix is just the distributor.

Netflix tracks incredibly granular detail on subscriber's viewing habits. They know if a show's successful.

^ This. American Vandal was legit amazing, but unfortunately, despite critical success, no one watched it.

Last edited:

Forsythia

God damn. Netflix should at least give all the shows they cancel a final season to wrap things up. Nice cliffhanger for another cancelled show. Fuck them.

Tesseract

Banned
That's an actual Netflix gig, so assuming it does well it should be good. As I pointed out earlier SCD, is a made by a separate production company, Netflix is just the distributor.

^ This. American Vandal was legit amazing, but unfortunately, despite critical success, no one watched it.

oh, thanks!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Netflix cancels everything. I am at the point now where I refuse to invest in any of their shows. They always cancel them, and you never get any closure or resolution. Especially the SciFi ones. They suck you in for 2 or 3 seasons, then pull the plug after cliffhanger endings.

It is garbage.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I liked this show too. It had some whiffs of SJWisms, but it never hurt the quality of the show.

Someone told me that Netflix doesn't want to do more than 3 seasons on shows because then they'd owe back-end deals to actors or something. No idea if there's any credibility to that.

CyberPanda

Banned
I liked this show too. It had some whiffs of SJWisms, but it never hurt the quality of the show.

Someone told me that Netflix doesn't want to do more than 3 seasons on shows because then they'd owe back-end deals to actors or something. No idea if there's any credibility to that.
It could also relate to how much money they are spending on new Netflix movie projects, and other Netflix Original shows. And they are increasing the monthly subscription price in May. I think they need to slow down before things get over saturated.

bitbydeath

I’d be fine with that if the shows are planned out with that thinking instead of ending on a giant cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Makariel

I find it more and more difficult to identify anything watchable on Netflix. Yesterday I tried Nightflyers that Netflix really wanted me to watch considering how often that has shown up in my feed. That show is utter garbage. Needed to hop over to prime for a few episodes of the Expanse (which Netflix decided to drop) to purge that Netflix show from my brain. I guess it's time to cancel.

Texas Pride

Banned
Netflix cancels everything. I am at the point now where I refuse to invest in any of their shows. They always cancel them, and you never get any closure or resolution. Especially the SciFi ones. They suck you in for 2 or 3 seasons, then pull the plug after cliffhanger endings.

It is garbage.

Sci Fi channel is the same. To the point I don't even bother watching good shows bcs they're going to get shit canned anyway.

Infinity

Netflix is losing a lot due to the Disney service and others. Makes me wonder what they have up their sleeve (if anything) to compensate.

I loved this show. Thought it had two more seasons of life left.

xrnzaaas

I find it more and more difficult to identify anything watchable on Netflix. Yesterday I tried Nightflyers that Netflix really wanted me to watch considering how often that has shown up in my feed. That show is utter garbage. Needed to hop over to prime for a few episodes of the Expanse (which Netflix decided to drop) to purge that Netflix show from my brain. I guess it's time to cancel.
Nightflyers was originally a Syfy show, they probably picked up the rights to the show really cheap as Syfy wanted to cancel it right after season 1. Plus unlike The Expanse it wasn't a critically acclaimed show.

Netflix is losing a lot due to the Disney service and others. Makes me wonder what they have up their sleeve (if anything) to compensate.

I loved this show. Thought it had two more seasons of life left.

Nah, they'll just keep mass producing more garbage. And cancelling older shows after season 3.

Last edited:

Makariel

Nightflyers was originally a Syfy show, they probably picked up the rights to the show really cheap as Syfy wanted to cancel it right after season 1. Plus unlike The Expanse it wasn't a critically acclaimed show.
I don't particularly care who made this steaming pile of garbage in the first place. Netflix sold it to me with the Netflix logo all over, stressing out that it's by GRR Martin. It fits in with the current Netflix strategy of putting their logo on second or third tier productions, or stuff that used to be direct-to-dvd that is now dumped on netflix.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It was an OK show, landing on the silly slapstick humor type of things. Clearly it didn’t have the viewers to warrant another season.

bitbydeath

I don't particularly care who made this steaming pile of garbage in the first place. Netflix sold it to me with the Netflix logo all over, stressing out that it's by GRR Martin. It fits in with the current Netflix strategy of putting their logo on second or third tier productions, or stuff that used to be direct-to-dvd that is now dumped on netflix.

You’ll be pleased to hear that it has been canned already.

bitbydeath

Santa Clarita Diet ranked 8th in the UK for most popular series (I’m guessing for the month of April) and they still canceled it. WTF Netflix. :-(

Series
  1. Black Summer
  2. After Life
  3. Riverdale
  4. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  5. Star Trek: Discovery
  6. Lunatics
  7. Bodyguard
  8. Santa Clarita Diet
  9. Bonding
  10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Last edited:
Is it cause it had too many white people on it?
Not enough women more likely. As it seems every single show coming out lately appears to be focused on women and cliche SJW view points. My wife eats that shit up. Wine Country, Dead to Me, Glow, Grace and Frankie, Orange is the New Black, Jailbirds, Workin’ Moms, etc are all very boring shitty shows. She loves them all.

CyberPanda

Banned
Not enough women more likely. As it seems every single show coming out lately appears to be focused on women and cliche SJW view points. My wife eats that shit up. Wine Country, Dead to Me, Glow, Grace and Frankie, Orange is the New Black, Jailbirds, Workin’ Moms, etc are all very boring shitty shows. She loves them all.
I finished dead to me, it was decent.

Santa Clarita Diet ranked 8th in the UK for most popular series (I’m guessing for the month of April) and they still canceled it. WTF Netflix. :-(

When Disney finally completely bounces are they going to pull ABC shows as well?

Personally I thought it was a pisspoor show and Drew Barrymore is about as funny as a hernia, still, a shame for those who enjoyed it.

Must have been a numbers thing, as the cast were presumably paid top dollar and it had high production values.

Top Bottom