• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix picks up Scorsese and De Niro's "The Irishman", now aiming for 2019 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/martin-scorsese-the-irishman-robert-deniro-netflix-paramount-1201785658/
In a sign of the ongoing power shift in Hollywood, Martin Scorsese’s $100-million gangster movie “The Irishman,” his ninth starring Robert De Niro, has been scooped up by Netflix, which is in the process of closing a deal to release the movie to its 93 million subscribers in 190 countries.

The movie was going to be backed by Paramount Pictures, but with its 12-year chairman Brad Grey heading out the door, Scorsese’s team put together another package. As someone close to the deal put it, “Scorsese’s movie is a risky deal, and Paramount is not in the position to take risks. This way, he can make the project he wants.”

We now live in a world where Netflix is in a better position than any major studio to make a Martin Scorsese-Robert DeNiro gangster movie. Netflix would not comment on the deal.

[...]

The movie has no official start date, but sources say it is aiming for 2019 release day-and-date with a limited Oscar-qualifying release.
More at the link, inc. recapping what we already knew: they're gonna Benjamin Button De Niro to make him look 30, people like Pesci and Pacino are in negotiations.

I...don't like this news. You have to think that in so many markets, seeing this in a theater is going to be impossible and people will be forced to view on TVs at home. Scorsese and De Niro reuniting shouldn't be watched that way.

I don't like this news for a different reason.

Scorsese reuniting with DeNiro and finally working with Pacino when they're both dusty as hell. this would have been an immensely exciting idea in the 90s like shortly after heat or the insider

I really hope this project convinces both actors to actually put in an effort.

and CGI face DeNiro...wuuuut.

If they're running with a CGI DeNiro, maybe it's best people don't see this thing in cinemas. Let 1080p streaming wash away some of that CGI grime.

I...don't like this news. You have to think that in so many markets, seeing this in a theater is going to be impossible and people will be forced to view on TVs at home. Scorsese and De Niro reuniting shouldn't be watched that way.
Speak for yourself buddy. The theatre experience these days is overpriced and constantly.going down the shitter...Not to mention how dirty some of those bloody seats are (ever wonder when they actually clean them? Hint:
never
)

I'd much rather watch these in my home on my nice TV and surround sound. Bring in more, can't wait!

Fatalah

If they're running with a CGI DeNiro, maybe it's best people don't see this thing in cinemas. Let 1080p streaming wash away some of that CGI grime.

Hey man, forget you for belittling a technology that's out of filmmakers' dreams.

Or maybe it's just not good enough for you and you'd like to stick to claymation forever. Forget you claymation purists - you guys are ruining the joy of cinema.

Blader

I don't mind it. And if Silence ends up being my last theatrical Scorsese experience, that's a hell of a note to go out on.

If it's aiming for a 2019 release in line with an Oscar-qualifying run, that would imply coming out in late 2019, which is about a year later than originally planned. :\ Unless this part means Marty will need to release another movie before that to fulfill his Paramount deal? Or just that's he running out the clock for his Paramount deal to expire?

Scorsese still has an overall feature deal with Paramount that runs through 2019. The studio released his last film, ”Silence."

big ander

Alternatively, this is awesome because fuck shitty people who ruin watching movies in cinemas.

Alternatively alternatively, it's bad because fuck the hyperbole about how bad theaters are today* and fuck every home system that can't compare to quality projection and sound in a pitch black room with stadium seating (that is: every home system except those of the grossly wealthy).

*they're bad but as someone who goes ~6 times a month I encounter egregious phones/talkers maybe 1 of every 15 showings and have no problem telling them to shut up or informing staff. They're also less common if you go to the right venue—the Cinemark I go to has more of these problems than the Regal or Arclight for example.
These incidents also happen a lot less when what you're seeing mostly falls outside of the blockbuster umbrella.

Speak for yourself buddy. The theatre experience these days is overpriced and constantly.going down the shitter...Not to mention how dirty some of those bloody seats are (ever wonder when they actually clean them? Hint:
never
)

I'd much rather watch these in my home on my nice TV and surround sound. Bring in more, can't wait!
Price rises aren't great but you seriously can't find any affordable tickets? I live in a major city and there are multiple theaters with tickets in the $8-12 range at all times (and several of those have off-hours discounted prices)
And what the fuck theaters are you guys going to where the seats are unconscionably dirty good lord do you live in a dystopia

A nice TV and surround sound is great. it still doesn't compare to a theater.

Ridley327

I'm surprised that people are surprised that this would cost $100 million. Scorsese makes expensive films and has been that way for a long time. For reference, Silence cost ~$40 million and that's been his cheapest project since Bringing Out the Dead, which was a little less than that.

Anyway, ballsy move by Netflix, though it sounds like they're preemptively lowering their chances for awards recognition by insisting on the day-and-date release for streaming.

Michael Douglas in Civil War was fine but I think in part because it was a quick cameo. Scorsese is going all in. I wonder if he can pull this off.

Old people don't just have more wrinkles. They are shaped differently and move differently.

I don't like this news for a different reason.

Scorsese reuniting with DeNiro and finally working with Pacino when they're both dusty as hell. this would have been an immensely exciting idea in the 90s like shortly after heat or the insider

I really hope this project convinces both actors to actually put in an effort.

and CGI face DeNiro...wuuuut.

It's Scorsese, it's probably gonna be great.

I feel like I've been waiting for this movie for ages. Glad to hear its going somewhere now.

Anyone know how along ago this movie was announced/an idea?

Just a local AMC theater. $14 a ticket x2 + $13 for a large popcorn and drink (my wife insists on the popcorn).

And here I thought that cinema in France were expensive.

Might as well by the bluray and watch it at home with that kind of prices, I shudder to think of what you guys get for the 3D tax.

big ander

I feel like I've been waiting for this movie for ages. Glad to hear its going somewhere now.

Anyone know how along ago this movie was announced/an idea?
2008! It's been next-up after Silence for a while and it all signs pointed to it really happening (unlike Sinatra) but concrete news is always good.
What kind of theater are you going to for it to be this expensive???
I was gonna say maybe it's a luxury theater, upper limit to that is $18 a ticket so maybe he's buying two tickets and paying for parking or something...
Just a local AMC theater. $14 a ticket x2 + $13 for a large popcorn and drink (my wife insists on the popcorn).
...but nah that's just on you man

iddqd

In ”The Irishman," De Niro will be made to look 30 again by the effects masters at ILM, ”Benjamin-Button"-style. His ”Heat" co-star Al Pacino and other talent are still in negotiations. One possible boon for Scorsese: at Netflix, there will be no strictures on length.

No thanks (this stuff might be fine for 3/4min of a flashback but not for a whole 3h film)
Just cast someone who is around 30?

I was gonna say maybe it's a luxury theater, upper limit to that is $18 a ticket so maybe he's buying two tickets and paying for parking or something...

...but nah that's just on you man

Oh, for sure, and I ain't even complaining. I love going to the theater.

How much does it cost you? Admittedly, I can save like $14 by going to a matinee, but sometimes you just want to go on a Friday or Saturday night.

number11

Not sure how I feel about this.

I don't know why Netflix are keen to have streaming for their movies on day 1. Surely the amazon approach is better? They bought Manchester to the Sea and are now being rewarded with (potentially) Oscar success. If Beasts of no Nation was a theatre release, it probably would have done a lot better.

Also, isn't Netflix accruing a lot of debt by giving orders all these niche shows? I remember an article where they talk about Netflix having some outlandish value of debt in the short run, but how it'll diss

TaterTots

Banned
Fine by me. I'd rather stay in and be able to pay attention than go to the cinema and deal with people playing with their phones in the dark.

B33

Banned
No matter how much you elevate your home cinema setup, it'll never compare to seeing it at a real theater.

No matter how much you elevate your home cinema setup, it'll never compare to seeing it at a real theater.

Agreed, but I'll take the at-home experience over no experience. The movie's quality is what you'll remember, regardless of how you initially saw it.

big ander

Oh, for sure, and I ain't even complaining. I love going to the theater.

How much does it cost you? Admittedly, I can save like $14 by going to a matinee, but sometimes you just want to go on a Friday or Saturday night.
I'm lucky to have a flexible schedule so I can try to strategize and see matinees and use cheaper theaters—of the two theaters I go to most often, one is $6.50 every day and another is $6 on tuesdays, $8ish the rest of the week. So even if I get popcorn or milk duds or a soda I'm out like $12. Weekend night showings are definitely where it gets pricey, when you're buying for another person and you inevitably have to go to a luxury theater and shell out $18/ticket...in those cases I prefer to like, grab dinner beforehand because at least then you're eating a good meal. Sometimes popcorn's mandatory though so I get your plight haha.
Not sure how I feel about this.

I don't know why Netflix are keen to have streaming for their movies on day 1. Surely the amazon approach is better? They bought Manchester to the Sea and are now being rewarded with (potentially) Oscar success. If Beasts of no Nation was a theatre release, it probably would have done a lot better.

Yeah I really don't get why Netflix is dead-set on day-and-date. Amazon's strategy seems to be working better in literally every respect. Their releases build better buzz, they're more critically acclaimed, they do well in their theatrical runs. My hope is Netflix gives up on day and date in the next two years.

Blader

2008! It's been next-up after Silence for a while and it all signs pointed to it really happening (unlike Sinatra) but concrete news is always good

Marty was talking about that on the press tour for Silence, and mentioned that the movie is dead because the Sinatra estate won't allow him to make the kind of film he wants to do (I'm guessing, a not completely flattering portrait). Oh well.

The article mentions they'd do a very limited release during award season to make it eligible

The eligibility isn't the problem, it's the fact that it's just streaming the same day it hits theaters that turns off the old-school voters (which is most of the Academy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom