• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix picks up Scorsese and De Niro's "The Irishman", now aiming for 2019 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Marty was talking about that on the press tour for Silence, and mentioned that the movie is dead because the Sinatra estate won't allow him to make the kind of film he wants to do (I'm guessing, a not completely flattering portrait). Oh well.
Right, it was technically forthcoming for so long with no new news that it ever being made stopped seeming possible so I'm, in a way, glad Scorsese confirmed it's scrapped. At least he kept it away from Brett Ratner

wasn't looking forward to seeing DiCaprio play Frank Sinatra anyways. I'm not such a stickler for authenticity but sometimes casting like that can be hella distracting.

despite my skepticism about this (especially CGI DeNiro lol), I thought Scorcese's last passion project was incredible so if he puts that level of work into Irishman it could be great.

Toothless

This is probably the worst news in cinema in quite sometime. One of Scorsese's biggest passion projects being turned into a fucking TV movie because Netflix is too arrogant to change its approach. Beasts of No Nation would've been acknowledged at the Oscars with an Amazon-style theatrical run. They're actively ruining specialty releases. If Amazon had got this, no worries. Fuck you Netflix.

Unsure of the cgi techniques that are going to be used, but hot damn I'm excited. I've been waiting for the Scorsese/Deniro reunion for years now ever since they were rumored to be making Frankie Machine. If anyone get an amazing performance out of Bobby it's Marty and I think DeNiro has one more iconic role to give us. I'd like to see rest of the rumored cast as well like Pacino, Keitel, and most importantly Pesci.

This is probably the worst news in cinema in quite sometime. One of Scorsese's biggest passion projects being turned into a fucking TV movie because Netflix is too arrogant to change its approach. Beasts of No Nation would've been acknowledged at the Oscars with an Amazon-style theatrical run. They're actively ruining specialty releases. If Amazon had got this, no worries. Fuck you Netflix.

Yep, Netflix is ruining Cinema by giving Martin Scorsese $100 million bucks to make a movie with Deniro, how dare they? Come on now, if this movie warrants the acclaim then it will be a part of awards season.

Bluth54

Yeah fuck Netflix for actually being willing to fund this $100 million movie when Paramount wouldn't.

Kordelle

maybe they could do a limited theater release in addition to streaming, I want to see it in cinema :(
(amazon did some movies which ran in theaters so I think it's possible)

Window

Don't know what to expect from a DeNiro performance anymore. I wonder if they will be able to de-age him to look his actual self from the 70s (when he was in his 30s and in his prime) or some compromise in between the present and the past self.

FairyD

Robert De Niro is due to star, and will apparently be aged down to 30 years old using CGI.

Don't do this. Get another actor if you have to. But don't use CGI to 'de-age' a person. It almost always looks terrible.

Drazgul

Don't do this. Get another actor if you have to. But don't use CGI to 'de-age' a person. It almost always looks terrible.

Michael Douglas in Ant-Man is the one exception to this, I think the end result looked great there. Not perfect, mind you, but good enough, for once.

Did they manage to get Pesci in on this too, or is he still retired?

skybald

I think there is another thread for this?

Either way, I am not happy seeing Netflix spend absurd amounts of money on 1 project like this. Rather see moderate amounts of money spread across multiple unique projects.

Nugg

Michael Douglas in Ant-Man is the one exception to this, I think the end result looked great there. Not perfect, mind you, but good enough, for once.

It worked kinda fine because it was a very short cameo. Absolutely won't work for a whole movie.

maybe they could do a limited theater release in addition to streaming, I want to see it in cinema :(
(amazon did some movies which ran in theaters so I think it's possible)
They are most likely doing it but most theaters are against movies releasing on home media on the same day as theater release.

BioHazard

I'm sure it'll get some sort of limited release at the very least in arthouse cinemas in major cities. Multiplexes in the past have refused to show Netflix "day-and-date" releases (see Beasts of No Nation). shame, it may be the first non-wide Scorsese release since like, what? Kundun?

Blader

I don't think The Irishman is actually a big passion project for Scorsese. While he was doing press for Silence, he sounded a bit weary of doing another gangster film.

I wish they hadn't scrapped the idea of an 8 1/2-esque companion piece exploring Scorsese and DeNiro's relationship.

Solo

I'd like to see Leo pop up in this....at some point the De Niro/Scorsese (8 films together) and Leo/Scorsese (5 films together) streams should cross.

Hey man, forget you for belittling a technology that's out of filmmakers' dreams.

Or maybe it's just not good enough for you and you'd like to stick to claymation forever. Forget you claymation purists - you guys are ruining the joy of cinema.
Hey, I can appreciate new tech opening up new creative avenues.

But let's be realistic here. The technology is not in a place for this to be done believably. Tarkin in Rogue One was distracting, and he only had a handful of prominent shots. Scorsese wants to cast one of these digital puppets as the lead of a film, on a considerably smaller budget. It isn't going to go well.

Blader

Hey, I can appreciate new tech opening up new creative avenues.

But let's be realistic here. The technology is not in a place for this to be done believably. Tarkin in Rogue One was distracting, and he only had a handful of prominent shots. Scorsese wants to cast one of these digital puppets as the lead of a film, on a considerably smaller budget. It isn't going to go well.

I don't think he's creating a CGI DeNiro from scratch, but shooting DeNiro as is and deaging him with CGI after the fact. More like RDJ in Civil War than Tarkin.

Toothless

Yep, Netflix is ruining Cinema by giving Martin Scorsese $100 million bucks to make a movie with Deniro, how dare they? Come on now, if this movie warrants the acclaim then it will be a part of awards season.

If Silence couldn't get attention with an actual awards run, releasing a film directly to Netflix will have it get even less attention. Hollywood didn't vote for Beasts because it wasn't really a theatrical release; don't see that attitude changing anytime soon. And I'm willing to bet if Amazon was aware that Irishman was looking for a home, they'd easily be able to offer the $100M.

Who the fuck gives a single shit about whether the film is eligible for awards season?

Which of you are getting a % of the back end of this film?

Care if it's a good movie or not. And maybe that you can hopefully catch it in a cinema.

Terrible news. I don't have netflix so I suppose I'll have to watch it illegally and I wont see it on a movie theater? Just terrible.

MRORANGE

Netflix could match the film budget of the whole Hobbit trilogy films every single month and still have quite a lot of lump change.

This is how big Netflix has become.

That's gotta be by far the biggest budget for a VoD film. If Netflix picked it up from Paramount though, it's possible they got it for cheaper than that. Paramount really isn't in a great position to barter these days.

This thing is apparently gonna start shooting this month. Incredibly excited.

http://brooklynreporter.com/story/i...martin-scorsese-film-starring-de-niro-pacino/

Legendary director Martin Scorsese will be filming a new movie shortly and is looking for extras of Italian-American extraction to be a part of it.

The film, called “The Irishman,” a Netflix exclusive which is slated to come out in 2018, reunites the director with Robert De Niro for the ninth time, and features an all-star lineup of actors that also includes Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel and Bobby Cannavale.

Grant Wilfley Casting is seeking Italian Americans of all ages, interested in working as extras for the film, between mid-September and the end of January, 2018.

This cast is insane. Took so damn long for him to work with pacino. I hope he can pull out a great performance from the guy

And the rest is Scorsese greatest hits. Deniro, keitel, pesci whew

Damn, I wanted to be forced to traverse to Cinépolis in Manhattan to catch this thing like I did with Silence.

No sarcasm, that was fun.

Yeah fuck Netflix for actually being willing to fund this $100 million movie when Paramount wouldn't.

Yeah, I love this "blame Netflix" approach if the movie gets snubbed come award seasons, not the actual voting process itself for failing to adapt to evolving trends.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah, I love this "blame Netflix" approach if the movie gets snubbed come award seasons, not the actual voting process itself for failing to adapt to evolving trends.

Average age of Oscar voters are 63 with shit like Weinstein courting voters in retirement homes. Any sort of progress to the system comes kicking and screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom