• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Teases Castlevania 3

Enjay

Banned
I’m watching this because it’s a show based on Castlevania, and it’s becoming less of that and more of a Netflix show that uses a popular title to tell an edgy vampire story.
This was exactly what I thought as soon as I read Warren Ellis' comment in the OP.

Psykodad

Banned
Holy crap! Who the hell wrote the script?

Watching the first episode of season 3 and it feels like all they talk about is the month/30 days that have passed.

It's fun to watch the series, but I didn't expect the quality of the writing to be so much worse than it already was.

Last edited:

nordique

This season went in a completely different direction than I expected

That said, I thought it was absolutely fantastic. One of the best series on Netflix. The last few episodes were thrilling

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I’ve always been a fan of Warren Ellis. Just want to get that out of the way.
My expectations for next season (if there is a season 4) will be low.
I didn’t enjoy season 3’s animation, with the exception of episode 10. Too many missing frames and terribly choreographed fights make the scenes choppy.
The Alucard sex scene looked like stills from a deviantart fanfic. More work should have put in it.
I did not hear any game music like we heard in season 2 episode 7.
Season 3 is just setup for the next season. That’s 10 episodes of setup. I feel like that’s a waste.
I’m not expecting the series to get to Simon or Richter. Which is a real shame. I think it’s a good series, but I’m starting to not care. I’m watching this because it’s a show based on Castlevania, and it’s becoming less of that and more of a Netflix show that uses a popular title to tell an edgy vampire story.

Personally I thought Episode 9 was fantastic.

Dacon

Banned
Started ok, quickly wore out its welcome. The juvenile dialogue is worse this time around and this is definitely the most "netflix" of the seasons. Often times boring as fuck and just spinning its wheels, and I do not appreciate what was done to Alucard here.

Dacon

Banned
The writers disappeared up their own asses in less than a full season.

I have to agree with this. This season has all of the same problems season 2 did, but with worse plot choices. This season just felt trashy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just binge watched all of season 3 tonight.

Aside from some great battles in the last few episodes, this season of 10 episodes was meh.

The first two you don't even have to watch as they seemed short and plotless. You can jump right into episode 3 and not miss a beat.

Not going to spoil it, but there's 4 plot lines that rotate every 5 minutes. Two of the plots kind of relate to each other (you got to remember what happened in season 2). The other two have nothing to do with any of the others. So in a way, think of the season as 3 plot lines..... but those two linked ones don't connect yet (maybe next season). So it really is 4 plot lines.

And I'll be honest, the main plot with Trevor and the chick is weird and I didn't even understand it. It's a big clusterfuck of stuff and neon colours blinding the screen, and leads to huge battles in the last episodes.

If you like better background art (including CGI), you'll like the art. It's like the do a combo of cartoon art, some CGI, and some paintings/photos. The animation is like the other seasons. A mix of good action and missing frames making it not very smooth half the time.

The worst part of the season was the seemingly forced scripts where people say fuck every episode. It's like they do it to be edgy. You even got priests and monks saying it.

If you got about 3-4 hrs to kill, you can blow through all 10 episodes as they are about 25 minutes each.

I still think the best episodes were #3-4 in season 1. That first fight between Trevor and Alucard in season 1 is still the best fight.

Don't click below unless you want some spoiler....
Surprisingly, there's some T&A and sex scenes. And some weird orgy shit with Alucard and a brother and sister tandem. Even I was like..... WTF?

There's also some odd CGI showing other worlds, where you literally see spaceships and highly advanced futuristic buildings. Odd choice.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Watched and it's obvious they've lost it and have become typical modern writers who can't wait for fans to fill in the symbolism blanks for them. They should have just made the first season (first 12 episodes) a movie and ended it after Dracula's "I give up please kill me" moment and the 3 going their separate ways.

Griffon

This season felt like all filler.

Basically the characters are all at the same place as where they started and nothing changed. In the future I could see people go from season 2 to 4 without missing a single beat.

Not to say it didn't have some enjoyable moments, but it's unfulfilling after waiting for so many years.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
This season felt like all filler.

Basically the characters are all at the same place as where they started and nothing changed. In the future I could see people go from season 2 to 4 without missing a single beat.

Not to say it didn't have some enjoyable moments, but it's unfulfilling after waiting for so many years.
Hopefully someone makes a funny mocumentary on youtube about them. They were so overcomplimented on their work for the first 12 average episodes just because video game adaptations have been so shit. Then they jump the gun and buy the rights to a Devil May Cry cartoon and announce that they'll both be in the same "universe" (there's a fresh term), yet they were barely able to shit out a low quality 12 episodes in 4 years. Can't wait to see how shit that ends up being if I live long enough.

MMaRsu

Banned
I thought it was pretty dope, binged it all last night.

But yeah it didnt really move the overall plot much

Finished watching it, not overly impressed.

I enjoyed the first two seasons and was really looking forward to this one but echoing what others have said: Nothing happens!

From a narrative point of view this is the Mass Effect 2 of Castlevania. The actual plot development from this entire season could have been done in two episodes, three max and then they could continue on with the plot.

Unfortunately this is meandering, time wasting filler. I don't know if they got caught with their pants down and were not expecting the success and only had a plotline worked out for two seasons but this really feels like a filler arc in an anime while they wait for the manga to get further ahead.

The other possibility is the writers got so full of themselves that they wanted to do some lovecraftian/cosmic horror and just used Castlevania as a vehicle for a pet idea, there are tons of monologues and character interactions that are supposed to be "freaky" or "spooky" but just end up wasting time as they have no relevance to the plot and will likely never be mentioned again (pirate dude, old witch, fly monster etc..). Definitely seems like a "sniffing your own farts" kind of situation where they feel they can show off their writing chops.

I almost wouldn't mind if this were weaving intricate and detailed plot threads as a set up to enhance the next season but that is not what happens. Nothing is set up, there is almost no character or plot development. The story is jumping around different locations without any central driving plot point. You could literally skip this entire season I would bet and jump straight to the next one and not miss a beat.

(oops accidentally posted early, edit to continue the post)

The animation/action scenes have never been fantastic in this but it really sticks out in most of this season. Skipped frames, lack of impact/reaction/physicality to things and some not very well choreographed fight scenes. There are a few nice moments or ideas with the fights but they feel pretty stilted, sterile and lacking punch or dramatic flare. They probably need a new action/fight scene director and to put a little more time into the animation. Not all terrible but very mixed bag considering the scale of some of the battles.

And now finally onto the wokeness.... sigh. Can any show be free of this stuff and just tell a genuine story without the ideological markers and agenda pushing present in almost every show these days? So tiring and depressing seeing it infect everything, even reasonably "non woke" works as they continue.

SPOILERS AHEAD!
The season seems to focus mostly on the female characters. Almost all of the male characters take a back seat and are either dominated by, commanded by, or dunked on by "strong women".

The Sypha/Trevor storyline takes great pains to relegate Trevor to mostly a supporting back up role while Sypha makes all of the decisions and shows her superiority to Trevor. In the opening fight scene Trevor is so incompetent he allows some pleb monsters to knock his whip away from him and is forced to fight hand to hand while Sypha easily mops up the enemies assigned to her with grace and competence using her strangely massively buffed magical abilities. Buffed to the point that they make Trevor almost seem almost useless a lot of the time. This trend continues for most of their storyline while Sypha seems like the main character making most of the decisions.

In this storyline we almost see a competent white male leader character in the town in the form of the Judge, but he turns out to be a serial killer of children mostly so there goes his character assassination.

The only competent male character seems to be Isaac, I guess because he is not an evil white male? Something interesting is throughout his journey the only decent, kind souls who help him or offer him kindness are non-white males or a white woman, where as all of the town militia with closed minds and hate in their hearts that try to fight him are all white males, these decisions are not happenstance throwaway decisions, they are purposely made with respect to a specific ideology. The evil wizard he fights at the end of his storyline who has enslaved the towns people is... you guessed it: An old white male. I generally don't like to focus on race with these kinds of things as I normally don't care, but when your messaging is so blatantly in service to a specific ideology whose tendrils have reached into every form of entertainment it becomes impossible not to see and understand the messaging.

The Alucard storyline with the two Japanese (?) brother/sister duo seems to be the most pointless storyline of all. Continuing with the "strong woman lead" and subservient male character messaging we see that the sister is in charge, makes most of the decisions and has most of the dialogue while the male character sits back waiting to be told what to think. The writers didn't seem to know what to do with Alucard but wanted to keep him in the story so they come up with a silly story of him being so depressed and lonely longing for the attention/affection/contact/dialogue of other people....after like 2 months of being alone? Seriously? The Alucard who at least in videogames locked himself away for hundreds of years of sleep to protect the world from his bloodline? Doesn't really sound like him.

The brother sister combo seem to only exist to facilitate the weird bisexual orgy they have with Alucard. Yep! You heard that right, Alucard is bisexual now for some reason, is apparently into group sex, oh and not just any group sex, an incest brother sister combo! *slow clap for the writers here*

Not only that, but this obviously suspicious duo who randomly turn up out of nowhere and do the eventually obvious see-it-a-mile-coming betrayal against Alucard....and we are supposed to believe that Alucard is so incompetent that he doesn't see this coming? Come on.... terrible writing.

The final storyline is about the four strong independent don't-need-no-man vampire women leaders. Most of their interactions speak for themselves, they are all wonderful special geniuses who are incredibly capable with no flaws whatsoever. They imprison and mistreat an evil white male in the form of Hector who gets easily manipulated and dominated by them at every step along the way, fight the patriarchy!

I mean this guy is supposed to be a forge master at the same level as Isaac and here he is being an incompetent, easily dominated, easily manipulated fool with no agency or goals.

Oh two of the female vampire leaders are lesbians for whatever reason, go go diversity!

I guess there is also a message throughout of religion and the church = bad, I don't have a problem with that in an of itself, it was also present in earlier seasons. But taken together with everything else it feels a lot like ticking a bunch of ideological boxes which makes me look at it with a little suspicion.

To be honest a lot of this stuff may seem petty or like ramblings of someone who is super anti-woke, but in reality once you understand the messaging and core ideas of their ideology and see the same patterns play out in all media and entertainment it becomes impossible for any reasonably intelligent person not to see it. What makes the whole thing worse is that each of these points I bring up isn't really so bad in isolation, the problem is that they all exist within the same work that makes the intent pretty obvious, especially against the landscape of essentially all media for the better part of the last decade.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Just like subsequent Altered Carbon seems these writers are dropping the ball hard or just pushing mediocre shit to make a release date. This season was more talking and less action, like wtf my son whose 13 said it was super boring too.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I was more satisfied with the animation in season 3 than 2 (not talking about the action scenes but rather the more mundane scenes). Season 2 had so many shots where the perspective was wrong, character heights constantly changing, etc. My real beef with season 3 is that it took 10 episodes of setup and now we’ll wait for 2 years for a payoff IF Netflix renews for a fourth. And really, nothing changed from the start of season 3 to the end (for the most part). I do think Alucard’s arc would’ve been better told through flashbacks considering how abruptly “things” change to the point you wonder, “well that escalated quickly, didn’t it?”.

I’ve watched 5 episodes of season 3 and it feels like fucking nothing has happened. I’m led to believe there’s some worthwhile payoff coming up but this feels like less of a slow-burn and more just plain slow. I can’t believe how hard it is to push myself through a fucking 20 minute episode.

Fbh

Finally started watching, episode 1 was ok but I still think the voice acting in this show is weird.

It's one of the few high profile animated shows where I can't get used to the voice acting. I can't even really say why, but often the way they speak just doesn't fit the way they look and how they are animated, at times it almost feels like the lines are from some other show and someone just pasted them in here and made them fit.

Atrus

Gold Member
I liked Season 3. Felt like they had 10 episodes to set up the next season and took their time with it. Could have been more brief but the last 2 episodes was well worth it.

The dialogue is very Dark Souls-esque at times and I’m bias to sarcastic and sardonic characters, which is like 90% of the cast.

It is very dialogue heavy though but so was Lords of Shadow.

Based on the timeline, we’ll get Curse of Darkness for Season 4.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Finished and it's great, but doesn't have a satisfactory ending season. Great episode, but doesn't live up at a season finale greatness

The Snake

Finally started watching, episode 1 was ok but I still think the voice acting in this show is weird.

It's one of the few high profile animated shows where I can't get used to the voice acting. I can't even really say why, but often the way they speak just doesn't fit the way they look and how they are animated, at times it almost feels like the lines are from some other show and someone just pasted them in here and made them fit.

It's because most (if not all) of the voice actors are film actors first. Voice actors who are so by career and trade approach a role much differently than someone who is used to actual human interaction on film.

Conversely, you wouldn't be able to take most animated voice acting and speak that way in a real, live action movie.

Mossybrew

Watched the new season over the weekend, I think it's fucking great. Ellis continues to nail it with the writing and especially the dialogue.

jaysius

Banned
Season 2 was really rotten. Awful pacing, wasted too much time with Belmont in that library, a fun Stromare plot that ended abruptly. People telling me that this season is worse isn't a surprise at all. Last season wasn't great.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I adored it. Enjoyed it the whole way through. Character development was wafer thin, but I didn't care for it. Nice big set up for Season 4. Loved Lenore too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t want to spoil anything, but to add to my post earlier, there is filler.

there are ten 25 min episodes, 4 plot lines, and I believe 95% of people who watched the season know there is one plot line which is big filler, another one with the 4 woman kind of dragged out. The other two were fine.

this season could have been about 7-8 episodes and be fine.

so for those of you who haven’t seen it yet, there are some filler scenes. The series would be more impactful if it focuses on fewer plots that moved along faster.

this season has turned some storylines into a soap opera. You’ll know which ones after you watch a couple episodes.

Last edited:

SantaC

I liked Season 3. Felt like they had 10 episodes to set up the next season and took their time with it. Could have been more brief but the last 2 episodes was well worth it.

The dialogue is very Dark Souls-esque at times and I’m bias to sarcastic and sardonic characters, which is like 90% of the cast.

It is very dialogue heavy though but so was Lords of Shadow.

Based on the timeline, we’ll get Curse of Darkness for Season 4.
Curse of darkness was already in this season.

Writer Warren Ellis on the upcoming season 3 of Castlevania.

Source
There’s more info inside. Light Spoilers.

edit: if a mod can add horror season” to the title, that’d be great. Somehow it was cut off.
couldn't watch more than the first episode of season 1

the voice acting and lines were horrific.

brap

Banned
Started ok, quickly wore out its welcome. The juvenile dialogue is worse this time around and this is definitely the most "netflix" of the seasons. Often times boring as fuck and just spinning its wheels, and I do not appreciate what was done to Alucard here.
It's netflix. What were you expecting?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i watched season 1 loved it
half way in season 2 i don't really like it that much. it's actually pretty shit at times.

is season 3 better ?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
couldn't watch more than the first episode of season 1

the voice acting and lines were horrific.
This.

Watched 4 eps now and it's laughably bad.
The most juvenile try-hard writing I've seen in years, hands down.
Yup.

It's based on a video game, so it'll be skewed to teens. So cheesy dialogue, edgy "fuck" every 5 minutes just to make sure you know it's not for 8 year olds, and lots of back and forth jokes.

It would have been great if this cartoon was more gritty. It's got blood and guts and cussing. Just need to make it more serious, and not slapsitcky sometimes. It's a weird cartoon because sometimes it's cool action scenes and limbs getting cut off. The next scene is Trevor and Sypha cracking teen jokes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
half way in season 2 i don't really like it that much. it's actually pretty shit at times.

is season 3 better ?
Season 3 is hit and miss.

Hits
- Some plots have lots of fight scenes with blood and guts
- Some good characters I liked, which were more like side characters....

boat captain, St Germain, Linore

Misses
- Too many episodes
- Too many plots (4 of them). One of them is a bore fest
- Cringe worthy dialogue sometimes
- Some really odd storylines in the plots which I assume won't link to season 4. They seem like they were jammed in just for the hell of it, but who knows. Maybe season 4 will somehow continue them

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
The other possibility is the writers got so full of themselves that they wanted to do some lovecraftian/cosmic horror and just used Castlevania as a vehicle for a pet idea, there are tons of monologues and character interactions that are supposed to be "freaky" or "spooky" but just end up wasting time as they have no relevance to the plot and will likely never be mentioned again (pirate dude, old witch, fly monster etc..). Definitely seems like a "sniffing your own farts" kind of situation where they feel they can show off their writing chops.
Netflix in a paragraph

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Netflix in a paragraph
If anyone on Gaf wants to watch a series overly stretched out for the sake of stretching out and going up against Days of Our Lives for best soap......... watch Punisher.

In the first episode, he's a half psycho construction worker. Pissed. Wife dead. Loose cannon. A coworker pisses him off by stepping on his lunch bag. I thought all hell was going to break loose for the rest of the episode...... yawn.

I forced myself to watch season 1 and bailed mid way through season 2.

A handful of cool tough guy scenes, the phenomenally hot Agent Melani, and the rest of the episodes (about 90% of each show) is a borefest.

Incredible how you can take a studly killer like Punisher and turn him into a family man. It seems almost impossible how someone could write plots like this for Punisher, but it got green lighted.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
If anyone on Gaf wants to watch a series overly stretched out for the sake of stretching out and going up against Days of Our Lives for best soap......... watch Punisher.

In the first episode, he's a half psycho construction worker. Pissed. Wife dead. Loose cannon. A coworker pisses him off by stepping on his lunch bag. I thought all hell was going to break loose for the rest of the episode...... yawn.

I forced myself to watch season 1 and bailed mid way through season 2.

A handful of cool tough guy scenes, the phenomenally hot Agent Melani, and the rest of the episodes (about 90% of each show) is a borefest.

Incredible how you can take a studly killer like Punisher and turn him into a family man. It seems almost impossible how someone could write plots like this for Punisher, but it got green lighted.
Smh it got so much worse in season 2. They even gave him a young female sidekick.

That first episode though where he goes apeshit on construction workers with a hammer made me wanna see a scene in endgame where this punisher is just screaming and grunting while fist fighting Thanos back when I had first seen it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Smh it got so much worse in season 2. They even gave him a young female sidekick.

That first episode though where he goes apeshit on construction workers with a hammer made me wanna see a scene in endgame where this punisher is just screaming and grunting while fist fighting Thanos back when I had first seen it.
Shit, forgot about the hammer scene. Just watched it now on YT.

Season 2 I forget exactly when I bailed, but that sidekick was annoying. I remember them all holed up in the cop station and Frank making a run and picking off people in the trees. I probably bailed soon after.

Dacon

Banned
It's netflix. What were you expecting?

The show to stay more in line with the first season really. If the show had continued with a lazer focus on killing monsters and adventuring then I would still love it. Unfortunately shit started going off the rails in season 2 and just got worse in season 3.

Dacon

Banned

is season 3 better ?

Season 3 is season 2 but worse, with more pointless plot threads and outright bizarre choices for certain characters.

Yup.

It's based on a video game, so it'll be skewed to teens. So cheesy dialogue, edgy "fuck" every 5 minutes just to make sure you know it's not for 8 year olds, and lots of back and forth jokes.

It would have been great if this cartoon was more gritty. It's got blood and guts and cussing. Just need to make it more serious, and not slapsitcky sometimes. It's a weird cartoon because sometimes it's cool action scenes and limbs getting cut off. The next scene is Trevor and Sypha cracking teen jokes.
it was the corniest thing i ever seen. the visuals and animation looked amazing, then i heard the dialogue and lines. and am like shit. who wrote this.

Vaelka

Does it bug anyone else how flat the characters look lol?

It's like they pretty much all have the same body types, especially the female characters who are all skinny and basically flat chested. It's very common in western animation it seems to just have one body type ( not in all shows, but in most that aren't super cartoony ). Even with Carmilla where they could play around with the proportions a bit more they didn't and she just look like a rectangular stick.

The dialogue is also very cheesy as some have pointed out, some of the '' fuck '' just sound way out of place. I am not a prude, I don't have a problem with cursing but it just sounds like they shoved the word in there for the sake of having it sometimes. I think that it's a bit weird too considering the time period, it feels a bit too modern in a way.

The art is actually really good which is rare, but man they look like stick figures in terms of body types and some of the dialogue is really cringe.

I noticed that in the Mortal Kombat animated trailer too, I dunno why but the bodies just look really weird or are too flat. I'd say that in the case of Castlevania the overall art looks great while in Mortal Kombat it just looks like crap imo. But they still look super flat in Castlevania, adding some large proportions adds some three-dimensionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
S3 was...bleh. The gay pandering (NETFLIX ORIGINAL) is something else. It was the most forced shit I've seen in a while. The entire season felt like a sidequest. At least there were two good fights from all this.

Herr Edgy

I believe S3 wasn't as good. The finale was nice with some good animation, but most of the season felt like someone tried a bit too hard achieving suspense - it fell flat on its nose. When things were actually happening it was good, but a lot of it felt like filler to prep for the finale. Not very organic in general. I believe that at first the entire thing was very experimental, given that S1 only had four episodes in total. Surprised by the success, S2 was greenlit and the quality carried over. But by S3 the success rose to their heads, making them feel like they had to deliver instead of doing their own things and hoping people would like it.

It's like their confidence in themselves got shattered due to pressure to perform well and that's why they went with more generic writing.

Top Bottom