• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix up 25% after hours, beats revenue expectations, 2M new U.S. subs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't that simple. Considering the results are from the 4th q, and we didn't know AD release date until a few weeks ago.

Two million new people subscribed 6 months in advance of the show even being available? Yeah...no.

Arrested Development couldn't save Arrested Development.

Nonbelievers. May god have mercy on your souls.

iy2S2rBH5nQuF.gif

...Welp.

pargonta

glad to see physical dvd by mail steadying out.

comprehensive selection, good service, i always shake my head when people say netflix has a "bad selection", certainly not on the dvd side. hopefully netflix themselves have put aside their digital bias and want to prolong physical, not kill it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Let us never forget about Qwikster, though.

basically what i took away from that debacle is that they are scared of diversifying their service if it means that it doesnt have a name that makes sense.

i remember the argument against games being "netFLIX?? but FLIX are movies, not games!"

TUSR

Banned
glad to see physical dvd by mail steadying out.

comprehensive selection, good service, i always shake my head when people say netflix has a "bad selection", certainly not on the dvd side. hopefully netflix themselves have put aside their digital bias and want to prolong physical, not kill it.

do you even canada?

BigDug13

They fumbled the execution, but dumping the disc business was and still is a good idea.

That won't happen for a LONG time. There are obscure things you can get delivered to you via Netflix discs that just aren't available in streaming, and no matter how many deals are made, this won't change. They will never have the selection over streaming that they can on disc. HBO series' alone ensures that what I say is true.

Tobor

That won't happen for a LONG time. There are obscure things you can get delivered to you via Netflix discs that just aren't available in streaming, and no matter how many deals are made, this won't change. They will never have the selection over streaming that they can on disc. HBO series' alone ensures that what I say is true.

It's not about covering content gaps. The disc business is more expensive to run than the streaming business, and the subscribers for disc will continue to shrink until it's not profitable to continue.

It's only a matter of time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Nonbelievers. May god have mercy on your souls.

iy2S2rBH5nQuF.gif

...Welp.

I'm a huge fan of AD. But even I wouldn't attribute Netflix rise to it.

Nah, this story explains what the fuck happened there pretty well:

Netflix's lost year: The inside story of the price-hike train wreck

Looks like a good read. Will read it later. Thanks.

I even bet starz will make a last ditch bid at that deal too.... but it seems like netflix has more to bring to the table than anybody right now. They have almost caught hbo in total subscribers and likely will soon with the growth they are seeing while hbo has been relatively flat. I really don't see amazon growing in the same way netflix does since their service is more tied as an addon to a prime subscription.

That said the idea of an exclusive agreement seems like something that will go away soon, with all these services competing for the same content it would seem like the content producers can make more money selling to everybody at a lower rate. Similar to how the epix deal worked out where they are starting to be on every service now that the 2yr exclusive with netflix is over.

Amazon has a big ace up their sleeve though, their distribution arm. That would be of value to someone like Sony. If Amazon were to sweeten their deals with them, they could probably land the streaming deal.

is there something (other than specific studio deals) preventing Netflix from having a 'premium streaming' account option where new releases are readily available?

I'd pay some extra money per month to get brand new releases streaming upon release.

just the studio deals really. they could offer streaming 24-48h rentals at a per movie price like other streaming providers do.

Vyer

Nice. Netflix is a great service, nice to see the rebound from all the negativity of the Starz thing.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm not subscribed to them at the moment but i will come back once season 3 of the walking dead is on there.

Good news. Still don't understand why they don't offer an ala carte VOD store as well. That way instead of finding no listing when you search for a newer release, it would present a rental price. I imagine a good number of people would then just rent the movie....

ultrazilla

Gold Member
is there something (other than specific studio deals) preventing Netflix from having a 'premium streaming' account option where new releases are readily available?

I'd pay some extra money per month to get brand new releases streaming upon release.

It would canabalize blu-ray and DVD sales. Not gonna happen for a long time IMO.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I never expected much less. I mean Netflix is like the most convenient thing ever. People can stream tons of content to tons of different devices, all for $8 a month. What's not to like?

jtb

Banned
Cool. I know I re-subbed just for House of Cards and Arrested Development. Streaming has kind of gone to shit with all the expiring contracts, but I'm pretty satisfied overall. Plus, it's very reasonably priced.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
How so? Sony, MS, Amazon, Walmart, etc all have ala carte VOD services. Why not Netflix?

Good point. I seem to recall though that Netflix had run into issues with
new release VOD simply because the studios didn't want it included with
their deals with Netflix.

I'd love to see it and would gladly pay more for it. I cut the cord
to cable long ago(Hulu is a joke IMO) and Netflix streaming is my
main source for tv and movies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Other companies are learning that while they may have some desirable content they don't have the brand recognition nor apps on every device and the will to push those out and get them in the minds of people.

Too much work, just go back to Netflix/Hulu

UrokeJoe

This thread has got me excited! I'm re subbing and then I'm going to subway to order a sub sanwich footlong before I watch netflix instant with a sami instantly!!

gutshot

May 1st. 13 episodes, all available for streaming on the 1st.

Just to clarify, they've announced that they will release in May, but haven't given a specific date yet.

Man, I couldn't care less about Netflix's financials, just hang the fuck in there long enough for AD Season 4 to get out

Do you want more than one season of Arrested Development? Then you should care.

Tobor

Good news. Still don't understand why they don't offer an ala carte VOD store as well. That way instead of finding no listing when you search for a newer release, it would present a rental price. I imagine a good number of people would then just rent the movie....

They've stated multiple times they have no interest in running a VOD service. Others already do that, and do it well. They want to focus on the one price subscription model.

I see both sides. Amazon already works the way you suggest, and VOD services sometimes offer free content. Apple could certainly add a tiered subscription in the future. That said, is it of no value to know upfront that everything in the catalog is included in the subscription price? I don't know. Besides, practically any device you watch Netflix on also has access to an existing VOD service.

Long term, we're stuck with multiple services. There won't be one service to rule them all. We'll have to rely on device side content aggregation to give us a master list of content to pick from.

jagowar

They've stated multiple times they have no interest in running a VOD service. Others already do that, and do it well. They want to focus on the one price subscription model.

I see both sides. Amazon already works the way you suggest, and VOD services sometimes offer free content. Apple could certainly add a tiered subscription in the future. That said, is it of no value to know upfront that everything in the catalog is included in the subscription price? I don't know. Besides, practically any device you watch Netflix on also has access to an existing VOD service.

Long term, we're stuck with multiple services. There won't be one service to rule them all. We'll have to rely on device side content aggregation to give us a master list of content to pick from.

Personally I don't find the way amazon works to be that good.... it would be if they could actually get a lower price for their hd rentals but all the services are pretty much locked into those prices. Just 2 new rentals cost more than an entire month of netflix unlimited streaming. I think they are right to concentrate on getting more new release window content for their subscription service (which they are doing with relativity media and disney). If they can start winning more of these big deals they don't need the vod option.

Tobor

Personally I don't find the way amazon works to be that good.... it would be if they could actually get a lower price for their hd rentals but all the services are pretty much locked into those prices. Just 2 new rentals cost more than an entire month of netflix unlimited streaming. I think they are right to concentrate on getting more new release window content for their subscription service (which they are doing with relativity media and disney). If they can start winning more of these big deals they don't need the vod option.

Not exactly the "new release window." Keep in mind, the Disney deal is not the same as the pay VOD tier. Content passes through several timed windows.

Tier 1: VOD: iTunes, Comcast VOD, Verizon VOD, Amazon(pay service), etc. This is the new release window. After a month or so, it falls to...

Tier 2: HBO, Showtime, Starz, Netflix(as of the Disney deal). After 6 months or so...

Tier 3: streaming catalog content. Netflix(the bulk of what they offer), Amazon Instant(the free stuff they offer)

It's true that Netflix is now officially a Tier 2 player, as of the Disney deal. They exclusively carry Disney in that window as of 2016, which is why that deal was so huge.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Good for them fighting back on the content licensing squeeze.

They're like Steam, they have the infrastructure and everything in place because they thought of it long ago. Now all the content owners want their own channel to distribute, but nobody trusts them as johnny-come-lately into the market.

netflix is changing the old media structure and fighting the good fight. between Netflix, Hulu, Twit, Twitch, Revision, and YouTube my necessity for cable is shrinking month over month.

Crazyorloco

I loveee netflix. I enjoy watching the Investigation Discovery (ID) shows. My favorite is disappeared. It makes me think what the heck happened to all these folks.

I recently put hulu plus back and i'm wondering if I should just take it off...So many clips, missing seasons of shows. it doesn't seem to be worth it.

P.s. I love netflix.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Great news. Hopefully they can continue adding content, and subscribers.

quite a few euro folks are picking it up with all available workarounds now. I've had lots of people talk about it and i"m always telling everyone to grab it, it's worth the 10 euros a month.

I just received an email from Netflix today pushing the DVD service (1 free month of DVD service). It kind of surprised me because I was under the impression that they were just going to slowly let that side of the business dwindle until they could fully focus on the streaming. I'm already a streaming customer.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I just received an email from Netflix today pushing the DVD service (1 free month of DVD service). It kind of surprised me because I was under the impression that they were just going to slowly let that side of the business dwindle until they could fully focus on the streaming. I'm already a streaming customer.

Yeah, I got the same email 20 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom