• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix up 25% after hours, beats revenue expectations, 2M new U.S. subs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Netflix (NFLX) remains a hot ticket on Wall Street.
The Internet video service's stock climbed another 14 percent Friday to reach its highest price in 16 months.
The latest surge followed a 42 percent leap on Thursday that marked the stock's biggest single-day gain since Los Gatos-based Netflix went public in May 2002.

Netflix's fourth-quarter earnings spurred the stampede to buy the company's stock. The results released Wednesday were highlighted by an unexpected profit and accelerated customer growth that left Netflix with 33 million worldwide

subscribers to its service that streams movies and TV shows to Internet-connected devices.
The stock is up $21.20 to $168.06 in afternoon trading. Earlier, Netflix traded as high as $169.99.

Despite the recent rally, the stock remains below its peak of nearly $305 realized 18 months ago.

Hopefully the good times continue.

Cimarron

This is the best tech ews I have heard in a while! Netflix is a good example of great technology and friendly consumer practices! Bravo! <3

smurfx

get some go again
there isn't much for me right now but my nephews enjoy netflix so i keep subscribing because of them.

teiresias

U mad, Starz?

The only reason the whole Starz thing annoys me at this point is because every season of Torchwood EXCEPT for "Miracle Day" is up on Netflix - and I actually really like Miracle Day, unlike some.

Commercials aren't anti-consumer, but if a service makes its money through commercials, the viewer isn't the consumer, the advertiser is.

It's sort of a roundabout argument though. Technically, yes, you are correct, but without the viewership to attract the advertisers, the network can't get their advertiser customers, so the network does have to provide programming that appeals to the commodity/viewer in order to have something to sell to the advertiser, so it's not like pleasing the viewer is COMPLETELY secondary in this equation.

One thing they should improve on, is availability of different languages, be it audio or subtitles, because right now the movies with said options available is laughable.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wish someday that It'd be all on instant watch and no dvd/blu-ray or whatever. I know this will screw some people but idgaf about those people. Right now I can get 6 dvds a week on 3 plan, so slow. Would get rid of DVD if Instant Watch content selection was more in depth.

Licensing doesn't work that way. I can't start a streaming service out of my condo just because I own a thousand movies on Blu-ray.

WillyFive

One thing they should improve on, is availability of different languages, be it audio or subtitles, because right now the movies with said options available is laughable.

Yeah, this is incredibly important and it's ridiculous they even put the option there, as if it was mocking people. Having SAP would do huge for minorities who don't want to have Netflix because they don't stream stuff in their language.

jakncoke

Banned
Licensing doesn't work that way. I can't start a streaming service out of my condo just because I own a thousand movies on Blu-ray.

Im not sure why you are quoting my super old post. But i'll throw you one bone and be done with, to clarify dropping dvd would = more money to sign instant watch deals. Also the reason it screws people because not all have the internet speed to use instant watch so dvd netflix is a godsend

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The only reason the whole Starz thing annoys me at this point is because every season of Torchwood EXCEPT for "Miracle Day" is up on Netflix - and I actually really like Miracle Day, unlike some.

Starz still has content on Netflix - they even added one of their past shows (Gravity) earlier this year - so they might put Torchwood Miracle Day up there someday.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This means we are going to see more Netflix originals like House of Cards, right? Right!

teiresias

Starz still has content on Netflix - they even added one of their past shows (Gravity) earlier this year - so they might put Torchwood Miracle Day up there someday.

Miracle Day actually was on Netflix for a few months, but then it got taken down - even before the whole Starz thing fell through, so I'm not sure what the deal with it was.

RBH

jbdkz5CjSyOG5u.png

Loxley

Good to see them doing well after all the doom-and-gloom.

That whole situation was blown way out of proportion from the start. People were predicting the end times for Netflix based off of what? They slightly raised their prices and their contract with Starz ended. OH THE HORROR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom