• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's fucked up rewind / fast forward

eot

Banned
Ever noticed how that on Netflix's web player if you do a 10 second rewind and then a 10 second forward skip you don't get back to the original position?

The buttons have a giant '10' inside of them, and they even flash that symbology on screen when you hit them. Well I did some testing and the time it rewinds / skips seems random, with the rewind being longer than the skip. I've seen the forward skip be anywhere between 3 and 10 seconds, and the rewind up to 19 seconds. Now, it turns out that it's not actually random, when you fast forward it always skips to pre-determined points in the episode, jumping to the nearest point that is at least two seconds away. The way the rewind works is that it jumps two steps backward (even if the previous one is only a second behind), so that means that one rewind always equals to forward skips (edit: that's actually not always true, sometimes it jumps to a different set of offset points).

What the hell Netflix, why make this fucked up implementation that makes the skipping totally inconsistent?

Maybe you're wondering what happens if you manually click on the progress bar to select a time, well let me tell you: the time indicated has nothing to do with reality, in practice it still snaps to these preset timestamps. Perhaps they do it so they can generate the thumbnails for that more efficiently or something, who knows. While I'm ranting, does anyone else hate how the fast forward brings up the timestamp preview if you spam it a bit? Makes skipping say a minute way more annoying.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yet another reason physical is better. I've got frame by frame advance and multiple fast forward and rewind speeds. This is on my DVD player from 20 years ago. We got some new Originals though right?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yet another reason physical is better. I've got frame by frame advance and multiple fast forward and rewind speeds. This is on my DVD player from 20 years ago. We got some new Originals though right?

E4MkW64.jpg

Caching would ikely be the reason, so they have indexed points ready to deliver your stream fast from their servers. I'm sure you'd much prefer fast responsiveness over millisecond specificity. Overall the rewind and fast forward works best in class for me. I tend to watch through my xbox app for Netflix and it's gold in terms of d-pad left/right navigating. The thumbnails and scrubbing points is near flawless when not using the 10 seconds skip feature, I'll take that over Prime or Disney+ or Xbox Movies etc any day.

EDIT: I wonder if the Netflix download feature allows you more granular and responsive controls over streaming?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Old man is also correct. Netflix's features are embarrassing, a multi billion dollar media empire outclassed by a 20 dollar DVD player.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Old man is also correct. Netflix's features are embarrassing, a multi billion dollar media empire outclassed by a 20 dollar DVD player.

Don’t take it too seriously (I don’t think you are). I’m not. Mostly just poking fun.

I do think it’s a little silly to use a fast-forwarding/rewinding nit-pick to push physical media, when that issue is a direct consequence of media being far more available and immediate than ever.

Likewise, if it really bothers you, a quick download, and skipping is as flawless and instant as it would be on a disc.

Nymphae

Banned
Don’t take it too seriously (I don’t think you are). I’m not. Mostly just poking fun.

Too late already reported your ass :messenger_winking:

I do think it’s a little silly to use a fast-forwarding/rewinding nit-pick to push physical media, when that issue is a direct consequence of media being far more available and immediate than ever.

I mean I'm not saying this is the feature that makes physical worthwhile lol, merely that this is yet another area that I hadn't even considered where 20 year old tech is better and more user friendly. I feel like these sites could and should have much better features and UI by now, considering how much money is involved here and how much time people spend on these things.

Likewise, if it really bothers you, a quick download, and skipping is as flawless and instant as it would be on a disc.

Yeah I'll just buy the discs I want and forego the propaganda subscription. I don't get why it's so attractive to people, I guess just because it's a way to access a disproportionate amount of media compared to what you're paying, well I'd be stupid not to have this! But to me it's like, such a small portion of the content is worthwhile and the actual user experience isn't anything to write home about, so I just build my own content library.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Too late already reported your ass :messenger_winking:

Lmao

I mean I'm not saying this is the feature that makes physical worthwhile lol, merely that this is yet another area that I hadn't even considered where 20 year old tech is better and more user friendly. I feel like these sites could and should have much better features and UI by now, considering how much money is involved here and how much time people spend on these things.

Yeah, I do agree. Bonus features are another example of that — Disney+ has them, but barely.

Yeah I'll just buy the discs I want and forego the propaganda subscription. I don't get why it's so attractive to people, I guess just because it's a way to access a disproportionate amount of media compared to what you're paying, well I'd be stupid not to have this! But to me it's like, such a small portion of the content is worthwhile and the actual user experience isn't anything to write home about, so I just build my own content library.

Agreed on propaganda and a lot of worthless content.

To me, it’s convenience. I pay my small fee and always seem to find something interesting and cool, and it’s ready to go in a second. Rentals fill out the rest.

There’s always going to be a schism on this subject. Some will prefer the advantages of streaming; some will prefer the advantages of disc. You can make an argument for either one, depending on what things are important to you.

I just hope that both, and that choice, persist going forward. If streaming disappeared, we’d lose convenience. If discs disappeared, we’d lose the possibility of ownership, and flawless image quality, and that’s a lot more concerning.

Top Bottom