• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never seen a starwars movie, where do I start???

As the title suggest, I've never seen a star wars movie before. I would like to change that by seeing all the movies in chronilogical order. Like watching them in the order of the time line in the universe.

So what order of movies is needed to be watched to achieve that. And is there a service, where I can watch or rent them all.

Not interested in buying them. I'm a "watch only once" type of person.

Release order. Always release order.

Chronological order is bullshit for any first time viewer. You start with the worst movies and every major plot twist in the original trilogy gets ruined.

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7. Rogue One whenever after 4.

First person to mention machete order as a serious recommendation should be flogged.

IV > V > VI > VII

Then watch Rogue One followed by IV.

Don't listen to anyone who says the prequels are good. They're trash and damage the mystique of the OT.

Megatron

You can rent them on Amazon I think.

Chronologically from date of release:
A new hope
Empire Strikes back
Return of the Jedi
Phantom Menace
Attack of the clones
Rise of the sith
Force Awakens
Rogue One

Chronologically in the order based on In movie timeline:

Menace
Clones
sith
Rogue
Hope
Empire
Jedi
Awakens

Honestly, just dump the prequels. Start with hope, go to empire and Jedi, do rogue one and then force awakens.

I'd put my vote towards Order of Release, rather than Chronological.

Starting with Phantom Menace might put you off, and I feel seeing the prequels first may ruin some of the surprises of the original film.

I'd consider watch The Force Awakens after Return of the Jedi, if only because being new to series and seeing those in order might be an interesting experience.

Release order. Always release order.

Chronological order is bullshit for any first time viewer. You start with the worst movies and every major plot twist in the original trilogy gets ruined.

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7. Rogue One whenever after 4.

First person to mention machete order as a serious recommendation should be flogged.

What is machete order?

Dan-o

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
A New Hope (again)

That's all of em.

zethren

Banned
4, 5, 6.

Then 1, 2, 3.

Then 7, then Rogue One.

Basically release order is best.

Please please PLEASE never watch 1-3 first. I've tried this experiment with a friend who had never seen them before, and it didn't work out well lol...

release order, watch even the prequels just so you can appreciate the new ones and old ones that much more and laugh at anyone who says they're good

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A New Hope > Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Revenge of the Sith > Force Akwans > Rogue One

You can also just skip the PT and go straight into Force Awakes and Rogue One.

LionPride

Banned
Don't listen to assholes who say don't watch prequels

If you wanna do Chronological

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Clone Wars (Animated lead in to the cartoon)
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Awakens

Nielm

I'd suggest:

Rogue One

Don't watch the prequels first, it's better to jump into Star Wars with the Original Trilogy. Also, it'd be jarring to watch the prequels and then switch to the originals.

As for Rogue One before 7, that's just because Rogue One is a prequel to A New Hope, and The Force Awakens will be followed by The Last Jedi later this year.

4, 5, 6.

Then 1, 2, 3.

Then 7, then Rogue One.

Basically release order is best.

Please please PLEASE never watch 1-3 first. I've tried this experiment with a friend who had never seen them before, and it didn't work out well lol...
My girlfriend's first Star Wars movie was 3. She didn't watch any of the rest for another decade.

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Awakens
I mean they're trying to save him the pain of sitting through 7 hours of shitty films.

I mean they're trying to save him the pain of sitting through 7 hours of shitty films.
I mean I'll even always tell people to give the prequels a chance if they liked the OT. Advising people to start with them is just ridiculous. They're prequels. Every SW movie after A New Hope is predicated on you seeing A New Hope. Most require all of the original trilogy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I mean, Episode III is good stuff but you need to watch I and II first, so, it's probably better to just save your time and go straight into the greatness that is Force Awakens and Rogue One.

If you watched all the good ones and you're still on the Star Wars train, which you probably will be, the PT is worth it just to know the storyline.

I've seen some people either skip Phantom Menace, or literally only watch the final Lightsaber fight.

It really has no purpose in the overarching plot, so while I wouldn't really recommend skipping it (I still think it's worth seeing at least once), its the easiest one to skip if you wanted.

I mean I'll even always tell people to give the prequels a chance if they liked the OT. Advising people to start with them is just ridiculous. They're prequels. Every SW movie after A New Hope is predicated on you seeing A New Hope. Most require all of the original trilogy.

I mean yeah I said release order including the prequels but I can understand why people are telling him to skip them as well, they're not good movies. Even 3 has plenty of crappy parts.

But yeah seeing A New Hope first is a must, my gf only saw that before seeing R1 and loved R1 but I imagine her enjoyment would be much lower had that been her first. Never even tried showing her the prequels.

Ascenion

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Awakens

I agree. The prequels need to be seen. Everyone should suffer as I have suffered.

Chronological order for first time viewing is a no-no. They are prequels for a reason, and serve as exposition to the original trilogy by fleshing out the hows and whys. NEVER let a first timer watch them first. Remember that Prequels by definition are also sequels.

Davide

Going to say slightly different than release order - 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, Rogue One, 7.

Rogue One follows III and you'll appreciate it more if you watch them together. It doesn't matter watching VII after R1.

release order, watch even the prequels just so you can appreciate the new ones and old ones that much more and laugh at anyone who says they're good

I mean yeah I said release order including the prequels but I can understand why people are telling him to skip them as well, they're not good movies. Even 3 has plenty of crappy parts.

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but I'm guessing you don't like the prequels?

wetwired

I'd say Release Order with caveats.

Step 1

Star Wars (A New Hope)
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Now if you like what you've seen watch step 2, otherwise skip to step 3

Step 2

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

Step 3
Rogue One (Palette cleanser after step 2 or alternatively a change in style between jumping back into...)
The Force Awakens

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to echo that watching 4, 5, 6, and 7 in order is probably the best. The prequels add very little, and some are TERRIBLE. Some people loved Rogue One, I didn't care as much for it, but you can watch it before or after 7. It's kind of its own thing.

However, if you don't know if you'll even like them, start with 4 and then decide if you're going to continue!

Unfortunately I'm not sure of a service where you can rent each one unless there's some Disney streaming service I haven't used.

Hazmat

Chronological order is wrong. Listen to all of the people who have actually seen the movies and watch them in release order, that's the order they were meant to be seen in. The prequels assume you've seen the original trilogy, and the original trilogy is massively spoiled by the prequels.

tumblr_inline_oo4mm3FgRp1uy6nts_500.gif

kurahador

I tried getting my sisters and girlfriend into Star Wars starting with the Original Trilogy, but they swear off of them after 4 due to how boring it was --- their words.
They do enjoy TFA and Rogue One however.

So I guess it differs on what kind of audience you are. If you're more on the casual side, I think it's best to start with PT as it's more visually pleasing and doesn't spoil much.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
r1

I wanted to be able to say do r1 into 4, but the difference in film styles is just too much. And the abundance of references to anh/esb feels even worse when they are watched in that order.

I tried getting my sisters and girlfriend into Star Wars starting with the Original Trilogy, but they swear off of them after 4 due to how boring it was --- their words.
They do enjoy TFA and Rogue One however.

So I guess it differs on what kind of audience you are. If you're more on the casual side, I think it's best to start with PT as it's more visually pleasing and doesn't spoil much.
It spoils literally the biggest story beat in the original trilogy.

Now granted, if someone is unaware of that twist I'd be shocked, but there's always a chance.

Edit: I forgot that it also spoils the second biggest twist in the OT, and that one isn't nearly as well known as the other.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Release order.

Possibly watch the Clone Wars TV series between episodes 2 and 3 if you like the setting. It actually tells some good stories in the prequel era, unlike the movies, and picks up on some plot threads that were fumbled.

I would never say don't watch the prequels because of the same reason you wouldn't watch in chronological order. Episode VII (and Rogue One to a lesser extent), exist and thrive with the assumption that you've seen the whole story up until this point, including the prequels. Like to me a big part of appreciating Kylo Ren's failure as a Jedi is by seeing how Darth Vader comes to be, even if the prequels didn't tell that story especially well.

sleepnaught

Prequels aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, it's just plain silly. Op, watch them and I bet you'll enjoy them. They aren't as great as the OT films, but you should have a great time if you like Star Wars .

AMUSIX

I'm fully on the side of release order...however, is there a case to be made for:

IV
Rogue One
V
VI

?

Heck, you could watch Rogue One first, but I don't think it'd work without having seen ANH.

AR15mex

Why not start with rogue one? Im there no spoilers for other movies. In my humble opinion.

Rogue, 4, 5, 6 and then 1,2,3

Top Bottom