• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

Don't worry, we'll know exactly what it is, how it's played, how it ends and when the first DLC pack will come out once GameXplain posts their video.

Aldric

Except the platforming we see in the vid could be from 3d world except for the pov. Hey i love 3D world i have nothing against that.

I'm just worried Nintendo repeats some of its mistakes here (letting people thing it's more of the same)

lt couldn't be from 3D World because 3D World didn't have a triple jump nor could you maintain your momentum after a long jump like what we see here.

l think you guys are confused because the artstyles are similar, but mechanically and level design wise this really doesn't look anything like 3D World and thank God for that.

It appears to be be single-player focused judging by how they've presented it so far. That already tells me that I'll enjoy it more than 3D World.

lt couldn't be from 3D World because 3D World didn't have a triple jump nor could you maintain your momentum after a long jump like what we see here.

l think you guys are confused because the artstyles are similar, but mechanically and level design wise this really doesn't look anything like 3D World and thank God for that.
I think they were talking about level design, which looks straight outta 3D World.

hEist

Yeah, the symbols appear to be different. (Sorry about the poor quality, just wanted to do a quick comparison)

yeah, just saw this also. First time seeing a heart in Mario (or am I wrong?)

V63emKL.png

Also somehow the "light beam" in the background looks for my like a "portal", like in galaxy, where you could jump from planet/plattform to another.

Looks great so far, excited to see more. It would be amazing if this was there at launch but that's probably unlikely, launch window for sure tho.

RagnarokX

A bit worried about the spinning heart. That implies they've gone back to an HP system with more than 3HP and dropped powerups (since powerups and HP would be incompatible with each other).

Game looks great. Glad it seems to be taking more of a 3D World approach with some open world elements. Hope those elements aren't too strong. Please please please don't return to the mission system. Having lots and lots of unique levels is much better than trekking through the same levels repeatedly doing filler.

fernoca

It appears to be be single-player focused judging by how they've presented it so far. That already tells me that I'll enjoy it more than 3D World.
The woman on the video took it to the party to play with her friends. So there might be some sort of multiplayer even if it's just like Galaxy. :p

Malus

I hope the music can reach the heights of Galaxy again. Going by the setting it likely won't be the same style, but here's hoping for something equally as good.

The woman on the video took it to the party to play with her friends. So there might be some sort of multiplayer even if it's just like Galaxy. :p

Ah, I missed that part.

If Nintendo omits online play again, then this will be yet another Mario game that isn't for me then. :\

It really looks like an open world game to me. That beam of light seems to indicate the place that you have previously marked on the map, or just some help for the player to navigate around knowing where the next objective is.

Open World Mario Game???? Give it to me now!!!

If Nintendo really wants something new and different then they will go the Open World route.

Probably the map as we know it from every other Mario game, now is going to be part of the world to explore, so between levels you will be able to roam around freely!!!!

This is by far the best part of the whole reveal! I am all in for an open Mario game, it's time for one. That said Galaxy style is still better than 64 and sunshine and don't you all forget it.

Joqu

I love how it's Mario 64 style. I loved 3D World too but going with traditional 3D Mario for the Switch is probably for the best. People are going to be pleased.

fernoca

Ah, I missed that part.

If Nintendo omits online play again, then this will be yet another Mario game that isn't for me then. :
3D World is my favorite Mario gane and I played it by myself. Is not like the multiplayer was recquired to finish it.

Game could be great no matter what.

3D World is my favorite Mario gane and I played it by myself. Is not like the multiplayer was recquired to finish it.

Game could be great no matter what.
Agreed :p 3D Mario games are great at worst, really, so either way I ain't complaining. I loved 3D World to death though, largely because of the multiplayer. I'm down for a more single player focused game either way

Clefargle

Looks like yet another streamlined level based 3D game. Sigh.

The hub world isn't the end-all most important part of why SM64 was so good. It was all the acrobatic gameplay, camera, and the levels themselves. Those could all apply here and it would be fine with a galaxy/3DW-esque level select screen plus tiny hub world.

RagnarokX

It really looks like an open world game to me. That beam of light seems to indicate the place that you have previously marked on the map, or just some help for the player to navigate around knowing where the next objective is.

Open World Mario Game???? Give it to me now!!!

If Nintendo really wants something new and different then they will go the Open World route.

Probably the map as we know it from every other Mario game, now is going to be part of the world to explore, so between levels you will be able to roam around freely!!!!

The beam of light is very reminiscent of the beam of light that were in Galaxy to mark your destination, and Galaxy was every bit as linear as 3D World.

The way the game looks from the very limited footage we have I'd say it's linear with limited camera control if any. The level design, especially the town, revolves around the camera facing forward. Although the camera is behind Mario, if he turns around the camera will not turn with him. However level design won't be as rigid as 3D World and the camera will be able to move around to allow the levels to have more complex design.

Call me crazy but a triple jump being specifically shown in the trailer might be a hint that the game is shying away from the 3D Land/3D World gameplay style. We will probably get a downloadable sequel to those or something.

The hub world isn't the end-all most important part of why SM64 was so good. It was all the acrobatic gameplay, camera, and the levels themselves. Those could all apply here and it would be fine with a galaxy/3DW-esque level select screen plus tiny hub world.
Agreed. I'm actually in favor of Mario levels being A to B affairs, but that's amplified by the diverse moveset from 64/Sunshine/Galaxy that seems to be present here. It's so satisfying to time your jumps just right and pull off unique moves. What makes those games special are the controls, really.

The level design, especially the town, revolves around the camera facing forward. Although the camera is behind Mario, if he turns around the camera will not turn with him. However level design won't be as rigid as 3D World and the camera will be able to move around to allow the levels to have more complex design.
I really don't think we have enough footage to say that, but again I really doubt Nintendo would be making this new Mario game that doesn't use many of the features of their new system, which includes 2nd stick camera control. Seeing that open town makes it very optimistic that the game is more open with a camera to boot

This looks like it's combining all the best features from the Mario series, the excellent platforming from 3D World, triple jump, and a behind the back camera.

And it looks like a frickin Disney film, cannot wait!

Malus

I really don't think we have enough footage to say that, but again I really doubt Nintendo would be making this new Mario game that doesn't use many of the features of their new system, which includes 2nd stick camera control. Seeing that open town makes it very optimistic that the game is more open with a camera to boot

Given the Tokyo studio's development history I'd be a bit surprised if it's as open as some as assuming, I mean their last game was Captain Toad ffs, but who knows maybe they're taking fan input to heart.

I'm not looking at this as 64-2 or Galaxy 3 or Super 3D World, looks like perhaps a new style. That'd be great news imo.

Top Bottom