• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS Black Friday Edition Refurbs on sale at Nintendo Online Store

my fatty 3DS XL still runs fine, but id love to swap it out for a new fatty XL down the road...good deal for others, but i can wait till its cheaper

The problem for me is, I'm not sure if it will ever be cheaper. At least the Red model (which is what I've had my eye on) is apparently no longer in production, and appears to usually be selling over the standard MSRP in the few places that still carry it, so I don't think it is likely that there'll be a lot of inventory clearing sales for it on say black Friday.

My kid has an XL.

New 3DS if you want faceplates, Super Famicom colored buttons, the smaller screens (games look awful stretched out on the XL in my opinion), or prefer the form factor (smaller hands).

New 3DS XL if you think bigger is better and want a sweet LE. Still available in market. Bigger form factor. A little heavier and less portable unless you have enormous pockets or a bag of some sort for it, but it is basically the luxury version of the system.

New 2DS XL, same as the New 3DS XL but without 3D. This is the only system I haven't touched yet in the 3DS family, but it looks like it was specifically built to stand up to mild abuse better if you're a butterfingers or have kids using the system.

I prefer the New 3DS, but it really all depends on your own personal preference. It is worth noting that I have awful vision and can't process the 3D effect, so if my system ever dies and I can't find another New 3DS, I'd probably be okay with a New 2DS XL.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty used to the blown up 240p chunkiness so pixel density isn't much of a concern for me (though I'd appreciate having the ability to switch screen sizes at will, just not enough to buy a redundant device). I'm more concerned about ergonomics and the XL always worked better for me in that regard so I think I'm leaning towards XL again. Thanks for the info, and if I could have both I probably would.

Goddang it I'm so tempted to cancel my Metroid n3ds pre-order for this.

Yeah, it looks a little strange. The colors that were chosen are not very appealing and even though I love the Metroid series I'm not totally keen on the design.

You won't know until you play the lottery, baby.

Ugh. I hate that, especially if they end up mismatched.

What is the quality of refurbished Nintendo products? Are they usually decent quality?

Really just don't want scratches or dust under the screen.

tmarg

What is the quality of refurbished Nintendo products? Are they usually decent quality?

Really just don't want scratches or dust under the screen.

A lot of people swear that they are basically new. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these are dead stock that got returned to Nintendo when the regular sized N3DS was officially discontinued.

A lot of people swear that they are basically new. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these are dead stock that got returned to Nintendo when the regular sized N3DS was officially discontinued.

Fuck it then I was waiting for an IPS 3ds XL, going to get the standard black mini for my portable RPG fix...

Good idea GAF or should I hold out?

tmarg

Fuck it then I was waiting for an IPS 3ds XL, going to get the standard black mini for my portable RPG fix...

The XL isn't really that portable, if you are looking for something specifically for portability I'd definitely jump on this.

I mean, the XL models are probably in great condition too. Just choose the one that you think will be more comfortable in your hands/whether you care about pixel density I guess. I'm mostly stuck in a dilemma of:

1. I have enough money for the thing.
2. I've wanted the eye tracking 3D for a long time.
3. I've recently gotten back into the 3DS.
4. The XL model might be even cheaper during black friday.
5. But there might not be a red model since it is officially out of production, which is what I want most (part of it is nostalgia for my old GBA SP).
6. I've been enjoying saving money by not buying anything but my most wanted games and since I can technically play everything I would play just on my slightly worn og XL I'm torn on whether this is an unnecessary purchase.
7. And finally I've been waiting for the Switch to get its revision before I jump onto that platform but I'm not sure I should spend $160 of my budget for buying that later on a system I already own.

The XL isn't really that portable, if you are looking for something specifically for portability I'd definitely jump on this.

I am just a damn screen snob... I am really sensitive to it, that black portable one might make it for me. Gah I am conflicted... that price is tempting though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Do it. No brainer, these are rare, sell it in a year and get your money back easily.

I've owned both, the smaller pixel density looks better than the XL. And those colored buttons and faceplates... I love my N3DS!

Do it. No brainer, these are rare, sell it in a year and get your money back easily.

I've owned both, the smaller pixel density looks better than the XL. And those colored buttons and faceplates... I love my N3DS!

Crap well I ordered it, the black one with the Mario plates... here we go!!!

Fire Emblem Echoes here we come.

I will post quality when it arrives, did 2 day shipping so hopefully getting it sometime next week.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The Mario plates on these are really nice. It's not just a print, the designs are etched in.

Thanks! Got a white one. Always wanted one of those.

I didn't like any of the plate designs, so I went with the most neutral-looking one. I can always look for another theme later.

IrishNinja

The problem for me is, I'm not sure if it will ever be cheaper. At least the Red model (which is what I've had my eye on) is apparently no longer in production, and appears to usually be selling over the standard MSRP in the few places that still carry it, so I don't think it is likely that there'll be a lot of inventory clearing sales for it on say black Friday.

true...i just think ill get lucky one day in our own B/S/T thread or something if i hold out!

Josh5890

My new3ds won't hold a charge. If the replacement battery that I'm waiting to arrive won't fix the problem I may have to buy this instead.

BroBot

Thinking about cancelling my Metroid 3DS XL pre-order and grabbing one of these. The Metroid 3DS XL is all black on the inside like a normal 3DS. Doesn't seem that special to me. I need to check if there are any good Metroid faceplates

Lorcain

My family has a New 3DS XL (used to be mine), 2DS XL, and a Black Friday New 3DS. They're all good, but they do have some advantages and disadvantages.

N3DS XL
+ good build quality
+ face tracking 3D is a game changer
+ good chance of having a top IPS panel
+ larger screens makes fonts easier to read (for me)
+ good sound
- heavier than the other 2
- rear back cover needs to be removed with micro screwdriver to get to microSD slot

Black Friday N3DS
+ good build quality
+ face tracking 3D (same as N3DS XL)
+ most portable of the 3
+ comfortable to hold
+ good sound
+ faceplates
+ super famicom button colors
+ rare increased value
- top and bottom screens are TN
- smaller screens make some fonts harder for me to read
- rear back cover silliness covering the microSD slot

2DS XL
+ lightweight
+ comfortable to hold for long play sessions
+ XL sized screens
+ good form factor
+ microSD and cart slot moved to an easily accessible front compartment
- cheaper overall build quality, cheaper plastics
- speakers on the bottom near your hands, vibrate through the back because of cheaper plastic
- TN screens

Top Bottom