• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS update out

qko

Just got asked to update again, found it weird but now my system settings page says 5.1.0-11U instead of 5.0.0-11U

Probably just to fix that bug that was messing up a few systems.

Hey, SpotPass content is now downloaded truly in background, even if you're playing a game. Before you had to put the 3DS in sleep mode, but I received SwapNote letters, Nintendo Video videos and Fire Emblem bonus box stuff while using other games. I got notifications even while browsng the eShop.

This is great news for those who always shut down their 3DSes and never let them sleep: you won't miss spotPass anymore.

This is truly great news. If the system can download notes and videos in the background while playing games I see no reason why Nintendo can't implement a message service. I'm getting excited for Miiverse. Maybe Nintendo will finally answer our prayers with a multitask-able message system...

That's a pretty big deal, probably why Nintendo gave it a whole number increase.

Same here.

C'mon Miiverse!

Ok, Swapnote update at least...

I'm honestly expecting it to hit day and date with Animal Crossing. Or at least close to its launch. Nintendo keeps mentioning "enhanced online capabilities" for the Western version of Animal Crossing and that would be the perfect thing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It is definitely faster. Yesterday I started going through my Streetpass Plaza to delete those non-streetpass Miis who invaded my plaza from Mario Kart and Kid Icarus, and it is a lot faster scrolling through the hordes of recent Miis.

Still too slow to quickly change stuff in the plaza, like deleting unwanted Miis though. I wish they add an option in the future.

Wait, it's recommended to do that?

It is definitely faster. Yesterday I started going through my Streetpass Plaza to delete those non-streetpass Miis who invaded my plaza from Mario Kart and Kid Icarus, and it is a lot faster scrolling through the hordes of recent Miis.

Still too slow to quickly change stuff in the plaza, like deleting unwanted Miis though. I wish they add an option in the future.

An option? If you mean you want to disable Miis from games being invited onto your plaza, that has been in the settings from the beginning.

Sagitario

Hey, SpotPass content is now downloaded truly in background, even if you're playing a game. Before you had to put the 3DS in sleep mode, but I received SwapNote letters, Nintendo Video videos and Fire Emblem bonus box stuff while using other games. I got notifications even while browsng the eShop.

This is great news for those who always shut down their 3DSes and never let them sleep: you won't miss spotPass anymore.

I got 2 StreetPass notifications while playing Luigi's Mansion, so I guess that's new too?

Guys, please help. I posted in one of these 3DS update threads awhile ago, but I'm still stuck. Here's the skinny:

- Bought new Pikachu 3DS XL a couple weeks ago

- System transferred from old Blue 3DS XL (firmware 4.5) to new Pikachu one

- Pikachu 3DS XL is now bricked. I can power the machine on for about 30 seconds, then I get the black screen telling me to power off then back on

- Booting straight to update menu with L+R+UP will work fine, and will not send me to black screen, but the system will absolutely not detect any wireless networks/access points (I've tried every conceivable fix on the network end)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to mail it off to Washington :(

Bullza2o

An option? If you mean you want to disable Miis from games being invited onto your plaza, that has been in the settings from the beginning.

Yeah I disabled Invite Mii, but only after a hundred of those Miis already entered my plaza. Now it's even more of a pain to delete those Miis after I got 120 newer streetpass Miis.

It takes probably 20-25 seconds just to scroll up and select the Mii, not including deleting it and waiting to go back to my own Mii.

donny2112

They take up space and don't give you anything except a higher count in the Mii Plaza. If you get a lot of Streetpasses normally, then having "extra" Miis that don't give you anything may not be worth much to you.

Really wish they'd do something else with the folders, namely... I don't really like assigning a letter to designate what the folder is, it just makes no damn sense at all.

So did the previous update actually unlock some hardware capability, making things faster, or is that just speculation of people on the Internet?

donny2112

So did the previous update actually unlock some hardware capability, making things faster, or is that just speculation of people on the Internet?

From reports, it seems to have made some existing actions more efficient/faster (like the April Wii U update will do), but doesn't actually "unlock a second core" or something. Just streamlining existing processes to make them run smoother.

sugarless

Really wish they'd do something else with the folders, namely... I don't really like assigning a letter to designate what the folder is, it just makes no damn sense at all.

It just shows a letter on the icon, but you know you can type a full name that shows up when you select the folder, right? The letters do look stupid though. They should at least let us set a colour.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Now that's interesting, isn't it?

Gvaz

Banned
That's a kind of interesting update. I wish they'd update the system to allow user created content tho.

Kyzon

Guys, please help. I posted in one of these 3DS update threads awhile ago, but I'm still stuck. Here's the skinny:

- Bought new Pikachu 3DS XL a couple weeks ago

- System transferred from old Blue 3DS XL (firmware 4.5) to new Pikachu one

- Pikachu 3DS XL is now bricked. I can power the machine on for about 30 seconds, then I get the black screen telling me to power off then back on

- Booting straight to update menu with L+R+UP will work fine, and will not send me to black screen, but the system will absolutely not detect any wireless networks/access points (I've tried every conceivable fix on the network end)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to mail it off to Washington :(

Go to McDonalds or Starbucks, then do the boot to update menu. 3DS has default wifi names that it will always connect to weather you set it or not.

M3d10n

Go to McDonalds or Starbucks, then do the boot to update menu. 3DS has default wifi names that it will always connect to weather you set it or not.
If you rename you wifi network (or create a guest network, if your router supports) to "attwifi" and disable security the 3DS will connect to it automatically. It will also allow you to access Nintendo Zone.

That's a kind of interesting update. I wish they'd update the system to allow user created content tho.
What do you mean? There's nothing preventing games from creating content and sharing them with friends. SpotPass uploads were supported since SwapNote was launched. Art Academy also uses it to send paintings and custom lessons to friends.

And there's Colors 3D, which is based entirely on user-generated content.

Top Bottom