• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS update out

EVH

Can't they link your account to your friend code, so people can still seek you by your code?

They could, but I feel like it is a big and crappy workaround. They could use the friend code as an id-number and then have another field with the id-name. But this is just wondering stuff.

The problem is that games like Mario Kart 7 and a lot more, would need an update to manage this and the community codes, as this is not something implemented at OS level.

I guess this is the exploit used for that Hello World that appeared on twitter a few months ago? What happened to that btw? Nothing new?

Yes it is, no more code execution possible with a unmodified 3DS for now... Progress has been made since that "hello world" on twitter. You can see on 3Dbrew wiki a lot of GPU commands described and other technical reversed stuff...

M3d10n

Yes it is, no more code execution possible with a unmodified 3DS for now... Progress has been made since that "hello world" on twitter. You can see on 3Dbrew wiki a lot of GPU commands described and other technical reversed stuff...

Oh, I missed that. Lots of interesting info there. Seems the 3DS OS is even more independent from the games than I expected: even the GPU access is done through an OS-provided service. This is not something I expected to see in a dedicated gaming device.

More interesting is that it seems up to four different processes can access the GPU at once. It means it could be possible for Nintendo to add message overlays on top of existing games.

EVH

Oh, I missed that. Lots of interesting info there. Seems the 3DS OS is even more independent from the games than I expected: even the GPU access is done through an OS-provided service. This is not something I expected to see in a dedicated gaming device.

More interesting is that it seems up to four different processes can access the GPU at once. It means it could be possible for Nintendo to add message overlays on top of existing games.

I guess this could be used for live chat / notifications and MiiVerse, but I doubt that Nintendo ends integrating something like that, specially after the Nintendo Mail crap.

K' Dash

Saw this little tip on gfaqs. For those with the error, Power up the system while holding L,R,Up on the dpad and A and it should take you to the update menu to update. That should fix it.

That's a very useful tip, thank you good Sir.

Did any of the people with the error tried to fix it?

elohel

I'm still unable to get games to download properly from the shop anyone else ever encounter this? before and after the update my games will not download :/

This may or may not be related, but maybe someone can shed some light on my situation:

On Sunday, I purchased a new Pikachu Edition 3DS XL. I am not sure what the firmware version was, but I think it's safe to assume that it was newer than 4.5, which was the firmware on my blue 3DS XL. I performed a System Transfer from my blue 3DS (Ver. 4.5) to my new Pikachu 3DS (Ver. ???), and everything went fine. I even played Luigi's Mansion on the new Pikachu 3DS all day. Then, toward the end of the day, in the middle of a LM:DM mission, I got black screens with the touch screen displaying:

"An error has occured. Press and hold the power button to turn off the system and try again."

Now, when I power on my Pikachu 3DS XL, it works fine for about 30 seconds before the same error occurs. This happens no matter what software I try to open. I tried to get into my settings to perform a system update multiple times, but the error occurs before I can even get to the system update page. The only function of my 3DS that will work is the playing of DS games.

I'm supposing that the hardware cannot adjust to the manual downgrade in firmware, but for this to be true, the Pikachu 3DS XL would have to have been shipped with the most recent update.

Any insight, GAF?

Updated my 3DS via spotpass with no problems.

NOA's Twitter mentions the update but doesn't say what it is.

EDIT: I noticed that Spotpass said something to the effect of "to download this software, you need to update first." So maybe there's a new major feature or application coming soon?

So, the general consensus is to not update right now just in case, yeah? I'd rather not risk breaking my 3DS over an update that doesn't seem to change much.

Bullza2o

This may or may not be related, but maybe someone can shed some light on my situation:

On Sunday, I purchased a new Pikachu Edition 3DS XL. I am not sure what the firmware version was, but I think it's safe to assume that it was newer than 4.5, which was the firmware on my blue 3DS XL. I performed a System Transfer from my blue 3DS (Ver. 4.5) to my new Pikachu 3DS (Ver. ???), and everything went fine. I even played Luigi's Mansion on the new Pikachu 3DS all day. Then, toward the end of the day, in the middle of a LM:DM mission, I got black screens with the touch screen displaying:

"An error has occured. Press and hold the power button to turn off the system and try again."

Now, when I power on my Pikachu 3DS XL, it works fine for about 30 seconds before the same error occurs. This happens no matter what software I try to open. I tried to get into my settings to perform a system update multiple times, but the error occurs before I can even get to the system update page. The only function of my 3DS that will work is the playing of DS games.

I'm supposing that the hardware cannot adjust to the manual downgrade in firmware, but for this to be true, the Pikachu 3DS XL would have to have been shipped with the most recent update.

Any insight, GAF?
Press L, R, A, dpad-UP and power to turn on the 3DS. I just did the same to my Pikachu XL and it said I'm already updated -- then all is well. This might be a universal solution.

Press L, R, A, dpad-UP and power to turn on the 3DS. I just did the same to my Pikachu XL and it said I'm already updated -- then all is well. This might be a universal solution.

Ah, so you didn't even have to update then? How bizarre. Did you do a system transfer to your Pikachu XL? Just curious.

beta_fuse

So I got the prompt to download the update last night when I clicked the HOME button while playing Luigi's Mansion. Funny that people are saying they are having problems because the first time I clicked accept for the update I got a message along the lines of "This cartridge cannot be read". I closed everything and performed the update through settings menu and all went well. I probably would have panicked more if I read all these comments before updating :p.

Also, not that it matters, but I also did a system transfer from my OG 3ds to the Pikachu XL earlier that day.

ash_ag

Will the Data Transfer Tool only be one way? Obviously, Cart-to-SD is more future proof but, personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable not being able to return my data back to the cart in case I might want to.

eggwolio

Getting back into the 3DS game, I figured this would be the best thread to ask these questions in:

1. Can I receive StreetPasses without being in sleep mode? I don't really remember receiving any while walking about and playing a game.

Adding to what previous posters have said, the only time StreetPass doesn't work(to my knowledge) is if you're playing an original DS game. It's also likely disabled if you're playing one of the ambassador GBA games, but I'm not positive on that one.

yeah you can link to club nintendo, if it brakes just send to nintendo for repair and you can get your games back if you lose it file a lost property report with the police and call nintendo

lol Nintendo. Getting the police involved makes way more sense than having your games tied to an account.

lol Nintendo. Getting the police involved makes way more sense than having your games tied to an account.

while your sarcasm is right its not that big a deal, not sure about other countries but in the uk at least filing a lost property report with the police is like a 2 minute phone call

Adding to what previous posters have said, the only time StreetPass doesn't work(to my knowledge) is if you're playing an original DS game. It's also likely disabled if you're playing one of the ambassador GBA games, but I'm not positive on that one.

Streetpass is also enigmatically disabled while playing Ocarina of Time 3D.

Jachaos

Yes ! I was waiting for the save transfer tool but NoA hadn't said anything about that, cool to see it's coming and so soon.

Bullza2o

Ah, so you didn't even have to update then? How bizarre. Did you do a system transfer to your Pikachu XL? Just curious.

Sorry for not being clear, when I started the update it resulted in the same condition as your 3DS. I assumed the 3DS thought the system was corrupted, but after doing the LRA-UP trick it found out the system was fine, saying I'm already updated --the update was successful but something triggered an alert in the system or something. Did it turn out okay after you did the trick though?

Wait, how does one turn on the 3DS if you're holding L, R, Up and A at the same time?

Middle finger on R, index on A, thumb on power.

while your sarcasm is right its not that big a deal, not sure about other countries but in the uk at least filing a lost property report with the police is like a 2 minute phone call
And if it were a true account based system it would only take you 20 seconds to log into your account and access your download history. No need to deal with the police, no need to deal with Nintendo customer service.

Top Bottom