• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS update out

Yeah, so I assume it could be even cheaper here in the US. The only thing holding me back from going digital is how poorly the "account" system is. Are downloads linked with Club Nintendo at all? Say for example my system breaks or gets lost, how could I retrieve my downloads?

yeah you can link to club nintendo, if it brakes just send to nintendo for repair and you can get your games back if you lose it file a lost property report with the police and call nintendo

Iacobellis

yeah you can link to club nintendo, if it brakes just send to nintendo for repair and you can get your games back if you lose it file a lost property report with the police and call nintendo

Damn, that seems like a hassle in 2013! Ah, well, I'll see what happens in the future. Excited to get my CN coins tomorrow.

Going to take the plunge and update the JP 3DS because I want to get 3D Hang-On tomorrow. Here goes nothing...

Edit: Whew, went smoothly. eShop seems as slow as it's ever been, though.

heyf00L

Yeah, so I assume it could be even cheaper here in the US. The only thing holding me back from going digital is how poorly the "account" system is. Are downloads linked with Club Nintendo at all? Say for example my system breaks or gets lost, how could I retrieve my downloads?

They are linked to Club Nintendo in the sense that it keeps a record of all games you register. However, this has nothing to do with downloading the games.

There is no account system right now on 3DS. Downloads are tied to the hardware. Nintendo says they'll add account (hardware-free) support later.

Iacobellis

They are linked to Club Nintendo in the sense that it keeps a record of all games you register. However, this has nothing to do with downloading the games.

There is no account system right now on 3DS. Downloads are tied to the hardware. Nintendo says they'll add account (hardware-free) support later.

Damn, I'll have to be careful. Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Chromie

Banned
My XL updated just fine. I saw the black screen and it took like 15 seconds to finally startup again I was panicking!

Oh? When did Nintendo say this? All of my 3DS games are downloads so I really can't wait for a proper account system.

Oh? When did Nintendo say this? All of my 3DS games are downloads so I really can't wait for a proper account system.

They didn't say that. They said the Wii U would get an account system, and that account system would be used on upcoming devices. That account system showed up as promised, and once again it involved linking purchases to the hardware (the slight variation being that it links the purchases to a user id, but links that userid to the hardware, essentially making it identical to what they already had).

Launch blue XL updated fine, btw.

rpmurphy

There's supposed to be a web store in the works as well, which they talked about for the 3DS last year or something. But since the Wii U eShop itself a web app on the system, they're taking steps closer to an account-based store.

Holy crap I just shat my pants

I finished the system transfer, check and "no sd card detected"

Hply wtf crap nooo

So I checked and indeed, the fridge: empty.

So I chek the SD card and "boom". Empty.

Now the pain of downloading 10 by 10 items fills my heart with a heavy feeling that I can only compare to going out and seeing that your car has disappeared.

So I take the old SD card and, wtf 7 gigs? *puts card on new XL*

EVERYTHING'S THERE! WOOOOT!

Is that normal? Lol I got the scare of my life there

jtm33

Neo Member
Holy crap I just shat my pants

I finished the system transfer, check and "no sd card detected"

Hply wtf crap nooo

So I checked and indeed, the fridge: empty.

So I chek the SD card and "boom". Empty.

Now the pain of downloading 10 by 10 items fills my heart with a heavy feeling that I can only compare to going out and seeing that your car has disappeared.

So I take the old SD card and, wtf 7 gigs? *puts card on new XL*

EVERYTHING'S THERE! WOOOOT!

Is that normal? Lol I got the scare of my life there

Yeah despite what the term "system transfer" implies it does not actually copy over your 3DS games from the original 3DS. It only copies the licenses and DSi games as far as I am aware.

BowieZ

Banned
Yep, that pants-shitting is normal. I thought I lost all my data when I did my system transfer. I still don't know why since I followed all the instructions but yeah, I had a heart attack.

I just noticed that some of my gameboy games have updates.

What could they improve on them?

*lol actually the ambassador certificate has an update too

ffdgh

Saw this little tip on gfaqs. For those with the error, Power up the system while holding L,R,Up on the dpad and A and it should take you to the update menu to update. That should fix it.

I went through with it to buy some eShop credit.
Everything went well on a blue 3DSXL.

Off-topic:
Any good games on the eShop that are not Cave Story, the ATV one, and Dillon's?
Also, if they are $10 or less, that would be great.
Thanks!

serplux

I went through with it to buy some eShop credit.
Everything went well on a blue 3DSXL.

Off-topic:
Any good games on the eShop that are not Cave Story, the ATV one, and Dillon's?
Also, if they are $10 or less, that would be great.
Thanks!

Quoting myself:

Every title worth owning on the American eShop (NO PICROSS HERE DAMMIT):

Aero Porter
Art of Balance TOUCH!
ATV Wild Ride 3D
Bird Mania
Bloody Vampire
Bomb Monkey
Cave Story 3D
Coaster Creator 3D
Colors! 3D
Crashmo
Crimson Shroud
Dillon's Rolling Western
escapeVektor
Fluidity: Spin Cycle
Fractured Soul
Freakyforms: Your Creations Alive!
Gunman Clive
Ikachan
Kersploosh!
Ketzel's Corridors
Liberation Maiden
Marvel Pinball 3D
Mighty Switch Force
Mutant Mudds
Nano Assault EX
NightSky
Picdun 2: Witch's Curse
Planet Crashers
Pushmo
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave
Tokyo Crash Mobs
Unchained Blades
VVVVVV
Witch's Cat
Zen Pinball 3D

eshop is definitely faster. Once they fix the startup time it´s perfect. Oh and the structure of course. :D The Browser is faster too, but still uninteresting. At home i have my PC / Wii U and on the go my smartphone will do a much better job.

Daedardus

Is there a good reason why this is a new big numbered instance? Could it have hidden features (I don't expect anything major though) to be activated when the Wii U update drops through a small update?

8 GB cards actually are supported as well, but no one's actually gotten up there. Maybe with Smash Bros. 3DS.

Ah, so they increased the size. As long as it isn't like when they introduced the 64 MB cartridges on the original DS. I think I might still waiting for Metroid Prime: Hunters to finish loading something... :p

I use a 16GB SDHC card for my 3DS and it works flawlessly.
I thought the 3DS supports up to 32 GB SDHC cards or am I wrong?

EVH

Is there a good reason why this is a new big numbered instance? Could it have hidden features (I don't expect anything major though) to be activated when the Wii U update drops through a small update?

Knowing that the update improved the internet browser a lot, we can expect this to be a "get ready" update for the upcoming Miiverse.

The thing is that I doubt Nintendo ever adds id accounts to 3DS and forgets about friend codes. I cannot see this happening with all the communities inside Mario Kart 7 and other games.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
9zJsW.jpg

Haha!

Makes me sad though. *Looks at Vita*

serplux

It actually supports up 128 GB SDXC cards if you reformat the card to FAT32. That's way more than you'll ever need though.

Edit: We were talking about game cartridge sizes, not SD cards sizes. ;)

Daedardus

Knowing that the update improved the internet browser a lot, we can expect this to be a "get ready" update for the upcoming Miiverse.

The thing is that I doubt Nintendo ever adds id accounts to 3DS and forgets about friend codes. I cannot see this happening with all the communities inside Mario Kart 7 and other games.

Can't they link your account to your friend code, so people can still seek you by your code?

Big changes aren't necessarily visible.

But if there were no big visible additions, I'd just increase the number to 4.6 (or 4.7 now?)

Larsen B

Had the updating error.

The update came via SpotPass and failed straight away. Can't access eShop or System Settings. EU 3DS XL, bought at the start of January, standard SD card.

Could it be updating by SpotPass rather than doing it through the eShop?

Kainazzo

They're talking about the size of the actual 3ds cartridges, not the SD cards. I didn't know they'd already increased it to 4GB; I can remember them saying 2GB was the limit at the unveiling event.

Edit: Beaten :p

If they feel like being awesome, they'll let you add friend codes to your NNID profile so people can just send you friend requests from there. The mechanism behind it (old friend code database) could stay the same, but GUI updates or Miiverse functionality could improve the process of adding people. It would be much easier to do on 3DS than DS, where they screwed themselves by giving games unique codes.. At least on 3DS there's only one code or identity to worry about.

Do we know that Miiverse is definitely coming? Has Iwata ever really said it?

Top Bottom