• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Ace Attorney game for DS: Investigations 2 - Gyakuten Kenji 2

upandaway

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ah, but see, your 'not care' is trumped by the public's 'not care' that he's gone. The games keep on selling without him and he's freed up to try to make another success for Capcom.
Fair enough, if sales are really that consistent. I can't help but think it'll decline faster without him.

Firebrand said:
zio7O.gif

Deal with it.

klavier-damage.gif

but i guess i can deal with it!

y-klavier-snaps(a).gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ace Attorney Investigations was an AWESOME game, besides the tedious final boss (which was awesome until it kept on going).

Kay Faraday is also REALLY AWESOME.

KevinCow

Banned
Fuu said:
What a cheerful way of passing on the news! And yeah, there's a thread on it already but I'll post this here too in celebration of more Edgey-poo:

11l7yhx.gif

Investigations needs improvement but I'm definitely in.

What the shit.

What.

What the shit.

Giolon

I really wish they'd go back to Phoenix Wright, or at least Apollo Justice and move the timeline forward.

Wizpig

I'll absolutely admit my memories were foggy and that AAI visual-novel-sprites couldn't be done on a GBA.

Still, i remember back in the official thread i wasn't the only one thinking that, strangely enough, AAI seemed like a classic game on the DS, maybe for porting (on other devices) reasons.

Apollo, to me, was a DS AA game, not only for the Lamiroir cutscene, but for gameplay and graphics.

AAI felt like a step or two back.

As for AAI 2, it will come out when the DS will be almost "dead", I don't know what to expect, really.

Cosmo Clock 21, I'm not crying.

Also, I didn't notice there was a thread already, you can lock this one, mods.

Kusagari

I don't care if AAI has 'GBA gameplay' it was still a far better game than Apollo. Honestly, most of the touchscreen stuff in Apollo just felt shoehorned in and wasn't that great.

AAI was very good and anyone who disagrees with me is just wrong.

I'm sorry.

I actually prefer Edgeworth to Phoenix as a main character.
don't kill me.

Wizpig

ShockingAlberto said:
You probably get that feeling because he has said that.

Himself.

Word for word.
He also said the fans are making him question his words.

Ghost Trick 2, Gyakuten Saiban 5 or something new? we'll see.
VoteForPedro said:
AAI was very good and anyone who disagrees with me is just wrong.

I'm sorry.

I actually prefer Edgeworth to Phoenix as a main character.
don't kill me.
AAI was definitely at least on par with JFA and of course i liked it, i liked every game in the series; it wasn't a bad game, but i don't "need" a sequel. :)
Day-one anyways.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The first AAI had pretty awesome gameplay but so-so story and characters, with things getting borderline ridiculous towards the end.
I'm down for a sequel, but I'm hoping for a better story this time around.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's Ace Attorney so Day 1.

Hcoregamer00

Wizpig said:
I'll absolutely admit my memories were foggy and that AAI visual-novel-sprites couldn't be done on a GBA.

Still, i remember back in the official thread i wasn't the only one thinking that, strangely enough, AAI seemed like a classic game on the DS, maybe for porting (on other devices) reasons.

Apollo, to me, was a DS AA game, not only for the Lamiroir cutscene, but for gameplay and graphics.

AAI felt like a step or two back.

As for AAI 2, it will come out when the DS will be almost "dead", I don't know what to expect, really.

Didn't it occur to you that MAYBE, just MAYBE this game may have a slightly larger budget and slightly better graphics because Gyakuten Kenji sold very well in the USA and Japan?

Drakken

I loved the first four PW games but didn't care much for Investigations. Just got kind of bored with it. Hopefully they go back to the original formula at some point.

Since it's not an unknown shovelware company, expect good things. Aren't Kirby games notorious for coming out when consoles are almost "dead"?

Hcoregamer00

To be fair, while I do love the announcement...here is my beef.

WHY NOT MAKE IT A 3DS LAUNCH GAME?

slaughterking said:
Did it really?

It sold well enough that we aren't even questioning whether it will get a USA release or not like a certain namco franchise.

Wizpig

Hcoregamer00 said:

3 games per console? it's just a coincidence, maybe.

GBA: Gyaku 1, Gyaku 2, Gyaku 3.

Series is over plot-wise, but then they decide to...

DS: Apollo (Takumi still over-sees the project), AAI, AAI 2. (Takumi is on Ghost Trick and/or other games and doesn't even care about these spin-offs)

Also (you know this, i'm sure of it) if they do this on the DS they can recycle a lot of sprites, while on the 3DS... it's going to be all-new work.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Didn't it occur to you that MAYBE, just MAYBE this game may have a slightly larger budget and slightly better graphics because Gyakuten Kenji sold very well in the USA and Japan?
Nope.

Hcoregamer00 said:
It sold well enough that we aren't even questioning whether it will get a USA release or not like a certain namco franchise.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it sold better than Yakuza 3, anyway.
Well, okay. That does not exactly scream "very well", though. :lol

I doubt they're going to increase the budget and moreover I don't see why they should. AAI had some of the best animated sprites on the DS, extremely colour rich, high resolution portraits and backgrounds, music and sound quality consistent with Apollo... none of the game's problems are budget ones.

They just need to even out the pacing and avoid having such a bullshit ending sequence and they'll be alright. Oh, and don't be cute about Phoenix and Maya this time. More than a cameo this time, please.

Wizpig

Boney said:
And just add courtroom drama and it'll be the second best game in the series. I need my courtroom drama!!
Same here, i feel courtroom drama is a must to the series, and the reason why i can't put AAI above other titles.

But since this is a spin-off, it obviously NEEDS to have something different, so... i don't think we will get courtroom parts.

Another interesting fact is the timeline, i think it's safe to assume that this is going to be before Apollo - again.

So

AA1
AA2
AA3
AAI
AAI2
Apollo

I'm ok with it.

Just don't put Phoenix/Maya in it, their stories are for the main titles - not to mention Maya's story finished with T&T.
I guess i'm not with Segata on this one, this kind of fanservice can ruin a game for me. (putting a character in the game just because "everyone wants it").

slaughterking said:
Well, okay. That does not exactly scream "very well", though. :lol
its all relative. it's not a high budget series with a large team. 'very well' for an AA game would probably bankrupt a studio making a AAA game, but it isn't a AAA game it's an AA game.

AAAAA AA A AAA AA AAA AA AAAA

upandaway

Hcoregamer00 said:

Won't they have to make it 3D (not the effect, the models and everything) for it to work?

Otherwise there won't be any 3D and then they'd much rather cover the entire DS install base.

Wizpig said:
Same here, i feel courtroom drama is a must to the series, and the reason why i can't put AAI above other titles.

But since this is a spin-off, it obviously NEEDS to have something different, so... i don't think we will get courtroom parts.

Another interesting fact is the timeline, i think it's safe to assume that this is going to be before Apollo - again.

So

AA1
AA2
AA3
AAI
AAI2
Apollo

I'm ok with it.

Just don't put Phoenix/Maya in it, their stories are for the main titles - not to mention Maya's story finished with T&T.
I guess i'm not with Segata on this one, this kind of fanservice can ruin a game for me. (putting a character in the game just because "everyone wants it").
I don't think of it as fanservice. I think of it as absolutely cockfucking ridiculous that Man A can't go a week without seeing Man B but somehow Man A is somehow never to be seen in a month of Man B's life. It's a deliberate attempt to be coy but it's so obvious it's distracting.

And frankly, the only way we're getting any more of Phoenix and Maya's story is through these spin-offs. Phoenix pretty much checked out at the end of AA4 and Maya, like every other PW character except the Judge, is not part of Apollo's universe, nor should she be.

Hcoregamer00

Segata Sanshiro said:
I doubt they're going to increase the budget and moreover I don't see why they should. AAI had some of the best animated sprites on the DS, extremely colour rich, high resolution portraits and backgrounds, music and sound quality consistent with Apollo... none of the game's problems are budget ones.

They just need to even out the pacing and avoid having such a bullshit ending sequence and they'll be alright. Oh, and don't be cute about Phoenix and Maya this time. More than a cameo this time, please.

But to be fair
This game may well likely happen the same time period as Phoenix was found guilty of fabricating evidence

In the event that this does occur, I could see the two merge together to form Ace Attorney 5 for the 3DS since it pretty much will cover the entire storyline until the events of Ace Attorney 4.

plagiarize said:
its all relative. it's not a high budget series with a large team. 'very well' for an AA game would probably bankrupt a studio making a AAA game, but it isn't a AAA game it's an AA game.

AAAAA AA A AAA AA AAA AA AAAA

Pretty much, the Ace Attorney fanbase is pretty large and very loyal, especially in the USA.

Heck, just look at the vigorous discussion in this thread or Ace Attorney cosplay gathering in conventions like Comic-Con and Anime Expo. Any gaming franchise would love to have such a loyal and fanatical fanbase like us.

upandaway said:
Won't they have to make it 3D (not the effect, the models and everything) for it to work?

Otherwise there won't be any 3D and then they'd much rather cover the entire DS install base.
the 3D effect works fine on 2D games, too

Wizpig said:

but, Phoenix, Maya and Pearl apeared in AAI

as cameos

Wizpig

lolez2matt said:
but, Phoenix, Maya and Pearl apeared in AAI

as cameos
That's the point, i was already "meh" for that cameo, but it was such a little thing i actually MISSED it during my first playthrough... what if they put them as actual characters?
I don't think it's a good idea.

Segata Sanshiro said:
And frankly, the only way we're getting any more of Phoenix and Maya's story is through these spin-offs.

They wrote themselves into a bit of a corner with AJ, to be sure, but at least the ending of that game hypothetically leaves open another option:
give Phoenix his badge back, give Maya the adult-with-a-real-job treatment Ema got and make Pearls the teenage sidekick. Pearl's the age Maya was (and Maya's the age Mia was) in the first game after all.

Ultimately the reason this bothers everyone so much (well, the reason it bothers me, anyway) is that AJ kind of messes up the ending to PW3 and including Phoenix in AAI2 (while something they should probably do) probably still won't fix that...

Wizpig said:
That's the point, i was already "meh" for that cameo, but it was such a little thing i actually MISSED it during my first playthrough... what if they put them as actual characters?
I don't think it's a good idea.

I also think is not a good idea, but it would be cool that their appear at least 5 minutes to give some evidence or hint about the case and that would be all.

I still haven't gotten the first one and I love the Ace Attorney series. But I guess I got burnt out after Apollo Justice.

But I should finally get around to pick the first game up before I can't find it anymore. I'm sure the second one should be localized as well?

charlequin said:
They wrote themselves into a bit of a corner with AJ, to be sure, but at least the ending of that game hypothetically leaves open another option:
give Phoenix his badge back, give Maya the adult-with-a-real-job treatment Ema got and make Pearls the teenage sidekick. Pearl's the age Maya was (and Maya's the age Mia was) in the first game after all.

Ultimately the reason this bothers everyone so much (well, the reason it bothers me, anyway) is that AJ kind of messes up the ending to PW3 and including Phoenix in AAI2 (while something they should probably do) probably still won't fix that...
It's fine, they just need to
kill Iris off-camera
or something! AAI proved they aren't above cribbing plot elements from Lethal Weapon 2!

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's fine, they just need to
kill Iris off-camera
or something!

But I kind of like Iris. :( Certainly as an alternative to Phoenix/Maya. Maybe she moved to Australia and she and Phoenix have a long-distance relationship or something.

AAI proved they aren't above cribbing plot elements from Lethal Weapon 2!

:lol

charlequin said:
But I kind of like Iris. :( Certainly as an alternative to Phoenix/Maya. Maybe she moved to Australia and she and Phoenix have a long-distance relationship or something.

:lol
Well, canonically, you're close, because she did go to prison!

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, canonically, you're close, because she did go to prison!

Oh, good point, you're right. Even better. She can get out of jail just in time for the Phoenix reunion game and Phoenix can throw her a big party or something.

Top Bottom