• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Animal Crossing game for dedicated consoles stealth-confirmed?

From Nintendo's press release:

Nintendo’s Next Mobile Apps: Building on the positive consumer reaction to Miitomo, Nintendo announced that its next two mobile apps would be based on the familiar and beloved Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing franchises. (...) Nintendo will design the latter game so that it will be connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems. By playing both Animal Crossing games, users will find increased enjoyment.

No word on if it's a simultaneous release and for which dedicated platform - or there might be an update to Happy Home Designer?

Atheerios

I think they mean the game will be connected to the AC universe from the console games, not to the games themselves.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's nothing hinting to a new world of AC on dedicated gaming systems. Just that it connects with existing AC world on dedicated gaming systems

Peru

I think they mean the game will be connected to the AC universe from the console games, not to the games themselves.

I think it's obvious they will connect in some way, give you some benefits, so the mobile game acts as a motivation to get the real game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well yeah, we already knew that was the purpose of these mobile games. They are not meant to replace the main series.

CTLance

I'm thinking it's not gonna be a New Leaf update. That game doesn't strike me as overly compatible with a server-pushed world.
Then again, I wouldn't mind. Like, at all.

Then again: Just give me another island to travel to, with a hut and a hammock and a few islanders that you can only visit when online. Call it Holiday island resort. Make me a hotel manager. Yep, could work.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I still want a proper console Animal Crossing. Not sure they'd still bother making one for WiiU though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Animal Crossing better be preinstalled on every NX homesystem and handheld.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo fans should stop being so optimistic. Its most probably referring to Animal Crossing new Leaf

CTLance

Animal Crossing better be preinstalled on every NX homesystem and handheld.
I still think that a customised Mii-AC would be a prime candidate for the social aspects. Achievements? Items, clothing, house parts. Friend list? The village (you get one Mii from each friend, who will settle down with you). Multiplayer party? Visit someone's village. Messaging? Write a letter. Eshop and recommendations? Tom Nook. 😏

Sure, it would be slow and cumbersome unless there's a bunch of menu shortcuts, but it would work great at visualising some of these concepts.

Scrawnton

If NX launched with Zelda and Animal Crossing, then its already off to a good start, for me.

Nintendo fans should stop being so optimistic. Its most probably referring to Animal Crossing new Leaf

Hey, I still play New Leaf to this day since launch; new functionality for that game is great news.

CTLance

I love how the other reveals get huge ass threads with heated discussion, but we Animal Crossing peeps just kinda sit there, grumble about the WiiU Amiibo festival for a bit, and accept our fate. We've paid enough bells to the Nooks to know how the world works, I guess. 😅

Thraktor

This ties in pretty well with my prediction that Animal Crossing would be one of Nintendo's early showcase titles for the NX. Here's me a few weeks ago in the NX launch game thread:

Thraktor said:
I think an Animal Crossing game is a likely early release for NX. I would imagine that a Wii U version started development shortly after New Leaf, but was moved over to NX when they saw the low sales of the platform (Amiibo Festival then quickly developed with ND Cube to fill the gap). It makes a lot of sense for NX if, as is very likely, we're looking at a shared catalog between home console and handheld:

• It would be an easy way to show off the idea of playing a game on both home console and portable, as you could visit your village either on the big screen at home or when you're on the move
  • It could show off the benefit of cloud saves, by allowing you to visit your friends' villages even when they're not playing
  • There's ample opportunity for a tie-in mobile game which links to your AC NX village
  • Animal Crossing sells. A lot. It's one of Nintendo's "evergreen" franchises, and the games tend to still sell well years after release, which means a launch-window release will still be bringing in profits years later

Top Bottom