• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ANNO 1701 DS videos

Kabouter

bee said:
the pc game is really good, a true hidden gem (outside of germany at least).
The Anno series does pretty well in the rest of Europe too, well, except maybe in the UK. But quality gaming has been under siege there for such a long time that that's hardly shocking.

bee

Kabouter said:
The Anno series does pretty well in the rest of Europe too, well, except maybe in the UK. But quality gaming has been under siege there for such a long time that that's hardly shocking.

im from the uk :p bet it sold about 5 copies here

ethelred

Awesome, thanks! The game looks really great... one of my most wanted DS titles (especially now that Etrian Odyssey is out).

homez99

Kabouter said:

Watch it you!

From this:
1701_2.jpg

to this:
1701-ad-20070504030728764.jpg

:(

Tobor

BobJustBob said:
From this:

to this:

:(

What were you expecting from a DS version? Unless the release of the DS game somehow breaks the PC game, I suppose you can still play that.

Tobor said:
What were you expecting from a DS version? Unless the release of the DS game somehow breaks the PC game, I suppose you can still play that.
Exactly, gosh, it's not like the DS version looks ugly anyway. Some of you guys like drama I tell you.

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Exactly, gosh, it's not like the DS version looks ugly anyway. Some of you guys like drama I tell you.

They really do. It's pretty ridiculous.

I like the mostly-2D style of the DS game. It's possible for two different visual approaches to both look nice.

ethelred

BobJustBob said:
I was thinking more "damn the publisher for making unnecessary ports".

I don't know that it is a port -- it looks pretty damned distinctive visually when compared to the PC game. And I certainly wouldn't say that it's unnecessary -- I think it'd be a great think to play on a handheld as long as they nail the gameplay, and I think the touch screen has a good bit of potential as long as they nail the controls.

But then I suppose if one thinks anything is hideous when not conforming to the highest standards of PC gaming, anything at all within the industry is unnecessary. Far be it for anyone to actually enjoy something.

Kabouter

ethelred said:
I don't know that it is a port -- it looks pretty damned distinctive visually when compared to the PC game. And I certainly wouldn't say that it's unnecessary -- I think it'd be a great think to play on a handheld as long as they nail the gameplay, and I think the touch screen has a good bit of potential as long as they nail the controls.

But then I suppose if one thinks anything is hideous when not conforming to the highest standards of PC gaming, anything at all within the industry is unnecessary. Far be it for anyone to actually enjoy something.

From the gameplay video I can assure you it's not a port, the combat seems VERY different (and of course much more suited to handheld play). I think it's a fine addition to the series, one that will hopefully pull in even more fans.

Deku

Banned
This game does not have a US publisher, so looks like I'll have to import. Anyone know the exact release date?

BobJustBob said:
I was thinking more "damn the publisher for making unnecessary ports".
Huh? The first one on PC looked comparable in graphical style (more sophisticated, sure), still a great game. Plus how is this unnecessary, this type of gameplay is well suited for a portable me thinks.

Yixian

Banned
Kabouter said:
PC version was the best game released in 2006 in my opinion, hopefully this version is just as good.

It was great but it was waaay too simplistic. The maps were too small and once you'd upgraded to the final class there was pretty much nothing you could do in the game but accumulate more and more cash - stastically there was very little depth or reward.

Which was a shame because it was so incredibly well made, and it's an extremely interesting premise (the Caribbean).

I really want a realistic versino of this game though, with historical accuracy and insane depth.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I found this interview with the game's developer on the pocket gamer website, and this bit kinda bothers me:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/ANNO+1701:+Dawn+of+Discovery/news.asp?c=3050
Also, while we've kept the core mechanic, the game itself is much easier than the PC version. There is a difference between sitting in front of a PC using a mouse and keyboard, or sitting relaxed on the sofa and playing a game with the stylus. We've fitted the game to the demands of the Nintendo DS.

Eteric Rice said:
I'm still surprised more devs haven't jumped on the RTS and Sim potential for the DS (and even Wii).

I'm not too good on Sim -type games, but RTS? It's not only the stylus - you need the hotkeys. Can't live without 'em hotkeys...

White Man

Pureauthor said:
I'm not too good on Sim -type games, but RTS? It's not only the stylus - you need the hotkeys. Can't live without 'em hotkeys...

What the DS needs to do RTS games is a right click. Some pocket PC and tablet PC styluses (stylii?) have a little button you can hold down that triggers a second button press. The DS would need that for decent RTS. And higher resolution.

Kabouter

Yixian said:
It was great but it was waaay too simplistic. The maps were too small and once you'd upgraded to the final class there was pretty much nothing you could do in the game but accumulate more and more cash - stastically there was very little depth or reward.

Which was a shame because it was so incredibly well made, and it's an extremely interesting premise (the Caribbean).

I really want a realistic versino of this game though, with historical accuracy and insane depth.

I actually enjoyed the relative simplicity of the game. You're right that the game wasn't too deep, however, with a few challenging enemies and a target of a colossal city (say 10.000 or so) you could still not have the easiest time in the world. But I just liked the fact that like it's predecessors it was so easy to get into yet still had enough to offer to keep me entertained for well over a hundred hours. More games should be made like that imho.

White Man said:
What the DS needs to do RTS games is a right click. Some pocket PC and tablet PC styluses (stylii?) have a little button you can hold down that triggers a second button press. The DS would need that for decent RTS. And higher resolution.

Maybe L/R?

Yixian

Banned
I liked that you were constantly thinking about the geographical situation of your colony though - that was great and quite rare in economic sims. I was constantly having to knock down, rebuild, relay roads etc.

Sounds boring, and it was a pain in the ass, but you appreciate it once it pays off .

ITA84

I only tried the first Anno a long time ago: it was the only Sim game I've actually enjoyed so far, mainly because I don't usually like them and it was a somewhat different take on the genre and quite easy to get into.
Unfortunately there's already too many games for me to play on DS and too little time to try them all (currently playing Etrian Odyssey and Picross, have FFIII on stand-by). But if it turns out to be good I'll get it, sooner or later.

nli10

I think this looks a nice title for the summer - I'll wait to see what the scres are before buying purely because I need games I can save or stop at a moments notice due to real life demands.

Turnbased AW:DS is the best game ever for me, but RTS stuff that I could just pause and close on would be fantastic.

I'd love Civ III or greater on teh DS please too :D

Zynx

For a DS RTS, just use 'circle around things' to select, 'tap' to give an order (move, attack, etc) and a small touchable sidebar for building, casting specials, and others.

Durante

Yixian said:
I very much agree with this. Especially the "maps too small" part. I still enjoyed the game and played about 10 multiplayer matches, but the lack of depth and map size really put a damper on replayability. But damn is this game beautiful.

(Talking about this game as "simplistic" on console-GAF might give some people the wrong idea :lol)

Haunted

White Man said:
Scumm VM does that. press left on the d-pad to enable left-click, right for right-click and up or down on the d-pad to just slide the cursor along.

Works really well.

yilmazz

I got my copy early.. and this game is EXCITE!
I've been playing it for the past five hours and it's really great, plays like the original.
You start in an area with some islands which all have different attributes. Some have vulcanos on it, some have mines where you can get jewels and so on. Also every island has a certain vegetation so that some of the plants you can grow will thrive well there and others don't. The trade routes between your islands are automated, so you don't have to take care of it yourself. Just populate different islands and use their characteristics to fulfill the wishes of your citizens.
The battles are a bit downgraded compared to the PC versions.. there are no different units, just soldiers. And the battles are automated. You just send a number of soldiers into a building where a certain number of enemy soldiers is waiting for you. If you upgrade your soldiers of course there's a better chance to win a battle with less manpower. Since I didn't really care about the fighting system of the original, I don't mind.
The graphics are good, even when zoomed out. Touchscreen control is almost perfect, building paths and so on is working flawless. What sucks a bit is that you cannot use the d-pad or the L and R button to rotate.. I even think you cannot rotate the map at all. At least I haven't found out how yet. It's possible to map functions like building certain buildings to the buttons though.

I haven't tried the free play mode yet, just the campaign.. but it's great so far. Everyone who is into this kind of building games should definitely give it a try!

ITA84

yilmazz said:
The battles are a bit downgraded compared to the PC versions.. there are no different units, just soldiers. And the battles are automated. You just send a number of soldiers into a building where a certain number of enemy soldiers is waiting for you. If you upgrade your soldiers of course there's a better chance to win a battle with less manpower. Since I didn't really care about the fighting system of the original, I don't mind.

Me too, but what about the naval battles?
Other than that, looking very good.

Neo Child

Banned
Got my copy too, really faithful to the original.

Also, I didnt care for the battling. Controls are really spot on and I dont think they really could be any better. I still suck at it though. When I advance to the 4th advncement I constantly lose money repidly and everyone needs everything. Any tips?

yilmazz said:
I got my copy early.. and this game is EXCITE!
I've been playing it for the past five hours and it's really great, plays like the original.
You start in an area with some islands which all have different attributes. Some have vulcanos on it, some have mines where you can get jewels and so on. Also every island has a certain vegetation so that some of the plants you can grow will thrive well there and others don't. The trade routes between your islands are automated, so you don't have to take care of it yourself. Just populate different islands and use their characteristics to fulfill the wishes of your citizens.
The graphics are good, even when zoomed out. Touchscreen control is almost perfect, building paths and so on is working flawless. What sucks a bit is that you cannot use the d-pad or the L and R button to rotate.. I even think you cannot rotate the map at all. At least I haven't found out how yet. It's possible to map functions like building certain buildings to the buttons though.

I haven't tried the free play mode yet, just the campaign.. but it's great so far. Everyone who is into this kind of building games should definitely give it a try!
Great, thanks for the impressions. Man so many good games coming out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I loved this game on PC, and can't -wait- to play it on my commute after watching that video. It looks like they did a fantastic job translating it... looks almost like 1601.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I got my copy as well. I actually never played the original, though this looks quite interesting. Will have some impressions later.

Kabouter

yilmazz said:
I'm afraid there are no sea battles. :(
Shame, but I can really live without combat. It's definitely not what the Anno games are about, though sea combat has always been more important than land combat to me (defending your trading routes and such). Still, this would be a must-have for me if I had a DS.

Top Bottom