• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed Unity (and Rogue) Screenshots

The Goat

Even in bullshots, they can't get the eyes to feel alive :( For all the realism and detail they seem to be trying to put into Unity, you would think they would put forth effort to make the single most readable part of human anatomy, ya know, believable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Strongest wicker basket I've ever seen.

Also - souped up screenshots don't do this game any justice, it looks so much better in motion.

1409682875-4.jpg

Is it too hard to have not completely flat cobble materials, Ubi?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why not name Unity: Assassin's Creed V: Revolution (for once a Re-title that actually works) and Rogue: Assassin's Creed IV - Chapter 2: Rogue. Or something. So that the public can place them in their respective series.

Or: Assassin's Creed 5 and Assassin's Creed Rogue

Talax

Rogue looks more interesting but Unity will most likely be a better game. Looking forward to playing them sometime next year when they're dirt cheap due to low sales. This series is suffering from oversaturation and there's no way to tell them apart. Why not name Unity: Assassin's Creed V: Revolution (for once a Re-title that actually works) and Rogue: Assassin's Creed IV - Chapter 2: Rogue. Or something. So that the public can place them in their respective series.

They're probably trying to get rid of numbering as much as possible, so that people don't pay attention to the annualisation of the series. Just think at the rate they're making these, they could have reached X by now..........or maybe I'm just grasping at straws.

I don't know why Ubi even posts screenshots. These games always look rough in screenshots then in motion look SO much better. It is like they want anti-hype.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't know why they bother with these pseudo screenshots, that have been so photoshopped that everything looks like plastic.

It doesn't make me go "wow this game looks so great, it's going to look identical to that on my TV!", it has the opposite effect of putting me off the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
These games look much better in motion.
giphy.gif

Hmmm, Elise looks older in the screenshot than she does in the gif, maybe that screen is from later in the game.

At least they seem to get older, unlike the previous game. AC2 is the worse offender. Could swear 15 years went by without Ezio or anyone he knew getting older.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
At least they seem to get older, unlike the previous game. AC2 is the worse offender. Could swear 15 years went by without Ezio or anyone he knew getting older.
Well Ezio got older, everyone else stayed the same. Ezio slowly grows stubble as the game goes on and his voice also got deeper overtime. Worst offender is definitely Claudia tho. >.> Stayed 13 like the entire game. Connor also went from slow speaking english to a fluent english speaker as AC3 went on, instead of a more physical change. Edward was already a full grown adult by the time AC4 started. I just think the aging will be more prevalent this time around since like in AC2 we start off as a young adult.

Sami+

I don't know what it is about Unity that just seems unimpressive to me. I'm looking on my phone so it's hard to put my finger on it, but even at such a small size it just seems really lifeless.

sjay1994

I don't know what it is about Unity that just seems unimpressive to me. I'm looking on my phone so it's hard to put my finger on it, but even at such a small size it just seems really lifeless.

In motion the game looks gorgeous. Problem is its also very rough. Lots of clipping and pop in.

I talked to a dev about it, and they said the delay was primarily to address this issue.

My only gameplay complaint is that the Ai is still pretty stupid. Which really bums me out considering it makes the stealth improvements almost useless.

Unity looks way better in off screen footage. That BS CG looks like BS CG of the last gen games. What exactly is UBI PR trying to tell us? You can't escape the ridiculessness anymore. The last gen CG Bullshot looks as good as the next gen CG bullshot!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well Ezio got older, everyone else stayed the same. Ezio slowly grows stubble as the game goes on and his voice also got deeper overtime. Worst offender is definitely Claudia tho. >.> Stayed 13 like the entire game. Connor also went from slow speaking english to a fluent english speaker as AC3 went on, instead of a more physical change. Edward was already a full grown adult by the time AC4 started.

Good points, but man, taking 15 years to grow a stubble haha.

Hystzen

Well Ezio got older, everyone else stayed the same. Ezio slowly grows stubble as the game goes on and his voice also got deeper overtime. Worst offender is definitely Claudia tho. >.> Stayed 13 like the entire game. Connor also went from slow speaking english to a fluent english speaker as AC3 went on, instead of a more physical change. Edward was already a full grown adult by the time AC4 started. I just think the aging will be more prevalent this time around since like in AC2 we start off as a young adult.

I'm more worried his mother spent all Assassins Creed 2 on her knees over the course of game instead of ageing characters

Ryoku

I agree. Some nice POM would look really nice here.

It's actually quite surprising that they aren't using it. Crysis was the last game I remember to utilize heavy POM on the ground textures. Although it came at a price of no anisotropic filtering, that was later fixed with mods and such.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm more worried his mother spent all Assassins Creed 2 on her knees over the course of game instead of ageing characters
That's the unfortunate repurcussion of having side missions that can be completed at any point in the game. NPCs were very static in AC2. Fun fact, all of the side missions in AC games are just events that can't be accessed specifically by the animus as a historical event that took place at an exact date and time, which is why they can be accessed at any time despite years passing.

Kezen

Banned
It's actually quite surprising that they aren't using it. Crysis was the last game I remember to utilize heavy POM on the ground textures. Although it came at a price of no anisotropic filtering, that was later fixed with mods and such.
Yeah no excuse now. They have the budget and the target platforms to make a very impressive looking game. Not that Unity looks bad or anything but...Something is off.
It's not quite as impressive as I'd like it to be.

Whats POM?
my_tst3tmp0011copy.jpg

Not sure I understand the lack of a PC version of Rogue..

I'll grab it on 360 anyway and double dip on the PC version like I have with all the other AC games.

Whats POM?

Parallax Occlusion Mapping (did I spell that right?)

Essentially maps that produce height-data for textures, allowing the engine to render additional effects on a texture giving the illusion of geometry (or producing simple geometry in some cases). Tessellation is like a step up from here, where the data is for actual geometry to be present when you are close enough to see it.

RayMaker

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eMoeet22kI

God I really hate ubi and there downgrades.

In the video the first demo is from gamescom and it is the most recent, the demos after are from E3 and there are so much thats is downgraded bettween e3 and gamescom.

the lighting, textures and effects are toned down, also the crowd AI looks rather glitchy and not as smooth and energetic as the E3 demos.

The E3 demos are basicly stunning and get me really hyped for the game and then I see the gamecoms demo and its like ''well ubi have lied to me again'' and it turns me so sour on the game and the company as a whole.When seeing the e3 demos I thought they were to good to be true and it turns out I was right.

I know games change during development, but this is not the first time ubi have done, infact they have done on every big game they have, future solider, the division, and watchdogs just to name a few im sures there more

why do they have have to over promise and under deliver? It is such a cheating scummy way to do business, but i suppose people still buy the games in the millions so what do I now, I suppose its the cost of being a nerdy gamer who notices these things.

sjay1994

Don't worry about it. Unless you're working in game development or have a real interest in delving into it, to most people POM and other effects are just "bump maps" lol.

Well considering I decided to change my field from biological science to programming and hopefully leading up to a career as a game developer, I guess I need to know this stuff.

woen

In the video the first demo is from gamescom and it is the most recent, the demos after are from E3 and there are so much thats is downgraded bettween e3 and gamescom.

the lighting, textures and effects are toned down, also the crowd AI looks rather glitchy and not as smooth and energetic as the E3 demos.

The E3 demos are basicly stunning and get me really hyped for the game and then I see the gamecoms demo and its like ''well ubi have lied to me again'' and it turns me so sour on the game and the company as a whole.When seeing the e3 demos I thought they were to good to be true and it turns out I was right.

I know games change during development, but this is not the first time ubi have done, infact they have done on every big game they have, future solider, the division, and watchdogs just to name a few im sures there more

why do they have have to over promise and under deliver? It is such a cheating scummy way to do business, but i suppose people still buy the games in the millions so what do I now, I suppose its the cost of being a nerdy gamer who notices these things.

You are dreaming and you didn't understand the process of a games's dev. Too bad.

sjay1994

Kinda getting tired of this over reaction to a "downgrade". People need to realize e3 is not the final game being shown, but rather a vertical slice of what the developer is trying to make. After watch dogs people have been really blowing out of proportions visual inconsistencies with ubisoft games, and the most minor of them are blown out into "downgradeaton"

Also for the lighting arguement, its a different time of day. Also the crowd behaviour looked rough in the e3 demos as well. You are sugar coating the e3 demos quality, because that looked rough as well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I have to say I'm not really seeing these downgrades. Do you have any specific examples?

RayMaker

Banned
Kinda getting tired of this over reaction to a "downgrade". People need to realize e3 is not the final game being shown, but rather a vertical slice of what the developer is trying to make. After watch dogs people have been really blowing out of proportions visual inconsistencies with ubisoft games, and the most minor of them are blown out into "downgradeaton"

Also for the lighting arguement, its a different time of day. Also the crowd behaviour looked rough in the e3 demos as well. You are sugar coating the e3 demos quality, because that looked rough as well.

Lol so its the customers fault for not realising its not a true representation of the final product when its demonstrated in such a way that looks like ''this is our game, this the game you'll be playing''

Myself as a consumer would be so much more happy if the game devs under promised but over delivered, like R* have done.

as for specifics of the graphical differences,granted because its a different section of the game maybe the section would look the same but I doubt it. the lighting model does look superior not just outdoors but indoors aswell in the e3 demo and there is more things happening and more detail in the e3 demo, there's also more reflections in the e3 demo from puddles on the street to reflections on the widows, I dont think the E3 demo was gameplay at all but a pre recorded rendering.

I envy the people who ''cant see'',''understand'' or ''dont mind'' this issue, because to me its nothing but disappointment i'am getting sick of having.

Lol so its the customers fault for not realising its not a true representation of the final product when its demonstrated in such a way that looks like ''this is our game, this the game you'll be playing''

Myself as a consumer would be so much more happy if the game devs under promised but over delivered, like R* have done.

as for specifics of the graphical differences,granted because its a different section of the game maybe the section would look the same but I doubt it. the lighting model does look superior not just outdoors but indoors aswell in the e3 demo and there is more things happening and more detail in the e3 demo, there's also more reflections in the e3 demo from puddles on the street to reflections on the widows, I dont think the E3 demo was gameplay at all but a pre recorded rendering.

I envy the people who ''cant see'',''understand'' or ''dont mind'' this issue, because to me its nothing but disappointment i'am getting sick of having.

You envy people who play games for fun? You should try it man

Top Bottom