• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Mr E.

Anyone looking for a 2 player programmable Tank game check out Final Act.

I backed this on Kickstarter and received it yesterday. Played today and I can say it's a keeper. It was fairly cheap $40.

Set up is a breeze, components are great, it's a real looker.

Based on the Shoot and scoot system. Players secretly programme the manoeuvres, then assign the shots to the board then players reveal there manoeuvres and hopefully your not driving into a shell lol.

I've heard you can add Jenga pieces if you want to simulated a City type terrain. Also two copies of the game would allow 4 players.

It will probably fall way under the radar so it's just a heads up for those who may want a tactical family game or beers and pretzels type.

Wednesday night wound up being pretty fun. There were only three of us that showed up to the hotel for game night. We first played Scythe again, because one of the guys who showed up this week really wanted to try it last week but was too sick to come. So the owner taught him that while I helped with set-up. I didn't do anywhere near as good this time though when all was said and done. I started off strong becuase I was the faction that lets meeples cross rivers and I got my Riverwalk ability really quickly, so I was zooming around the map capturing the objective tokens to get cards with my leader. Last time I played I didn't bother producing or building and I didn't thing I would be strong in those aspects for this game either, so I was hoping to use all the cards I was netti to get me a ton of resources or good benefits. I did get some good stuff but it was all for naught; I made some serious errors with my battles in the last two or three rounds and wound up with all of my mechs defeated and not holding territories at game's end. I think I had 26 points or so, compared to the winner's 70-something.

I know we all know what Scythe is like, but here is a quick shot before turn one begin:

After that we began playing Burgle Bros. I explained the game pretty well I thought, we got set up, and then began a three story game of the Bank Job. It was The Peterman, The Raven, and The Rook (me). Finally, my first time to play the game! We lost within something ridiculous like two full rounds of play. The floor one guard was in one corner of the floor so we entered on the opposite corner, which turned out to be the stairs. It was a corner with one wall next to the tiles, so a dead end. Upon trying to leave, we discovered that we had a fingerprint room right next to us that would set off an alarm upon entry. One guy decided to take the stairs to the second floor but things weren't much better up there with where the guard spawned. Back down on the first floor, two of us decided we had to try to rush out and trip the alarm anyway but the guard was heading towards us before setting off the alarm. It ended quickly as we were still in an area that led to a dead end and the guard passed over us multiple times in a row in such a way that my stealth tokens were gone before the game had really gotten underway.

After setup before game one started. We wound up entering in the corner towards the right side of the image and got boxed in.

So we decided to make another go of it. We rotated the building 90 degrees to give a slightly different layout, reshuffled all tiles and cards, and began again. The first two floors fell really quickly. The Peterman cracked the first floor safe as the other two of us went to the second floor so The Peterman would have some breathing room on the first floor and less guard movement. The room we entered into on the second floor was a deadbolt, which requires three actions to get in. The loot The Peterman picked up from the safe required him to spend an extra action to enter a room with another player in it and he needed us to remain in the deadbolt room so he could easily come up without spending another turn on floor one. Luckily he was able to stop below us and my character ability as The Rook let me move him up with us and disregard entry costs. The second floor's safe fell quickly as well, once again getting fracked by The Peterman. The third floor is what took us the longest. We did uncover a lavatory that acted as a free stealth room but floor three was a tough one. We went through the patrol deck many times, which meant that the guard up there was moving at max speed for a lot of our time up there. The Peterman was able to crack the third safe and we got really lucky with some events that prevented the game from ending a couple times. On one turn, I had no more stealth tokens and the guard was going to move over my space guaranteed before I could prevent it. No way for the current player to set off an alarm or anything to draw him away. Luckily, we convinced the current player to draw an event that caused they are to go straight to his destination, which spared me. I made it out of the building after the safe was cracked and spent a couple turns waiting for the other two. It was a close one, but they were able to make it out.

Here an image towards the end of that game, with me waiting on the helipad off to the left. You will also notice that the high rise tower is upside down, something I didn't realize until I looked at the images a few hours ago. I did wonder while playing why the struts overlapped the board on the third floor. Now I know.

My overall impression of Burgle Bros is positive. It was a bit of a brain-burner at times and really tough, but fun. The heist theme is so great as well. Maybe one day I'll try to form a proper review of the game from my jumbled thoughts on it, after a few more plays, but I look forward to playing it again sometime soon.

That looks neat, just sold me a copy a of Burgle Bros

Blizzard

Banned
I almost impulse-purchased The Mad Scientist Game in a book store after seeing it was designed by Donald X (the dominion designer). Fortunately I checked BGG first and the rating and reviews talked me out of it. It's still kind of a sad feeling.

I almost impulse-purchased The Mad Scientist Game in a book store after seeing it was designed by Donald X (the dominion designer). Fortunately I checked BGG first and the rating and reviews talked me out of it. It's still kind of a sad feeling.
DXV isn't exactly a one hit wonder but it's hard to live up to the success of Dominion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DXV isn't exactly a one hit wonder but it's hard to live up to the success of Dominion.

The interesting thing about DXV is that half his games are flat-out really bad by modern standards. Can't really say that about most well-known designers who at best their "bad" games are mediocre (maybe Knizia exempted -- not really familiar with the rest of his huge catalog). I think in a sense he kind of is a one-hit wonder, but a legendary one? Deckbuilding and Dominion completely changed the hobby, and very few designers can compare in that respect. Sort of the opposite of that would be Garfield, who came up with Magic, but then has an insanely good portfolio beyond that (not really fair to compare anyone to Garfield though :p).

fenners

The interesting thing about DXV is that half his games are flat-out really bad by modern standards. Can't really say that about most well-known designers who at best their "bad" games are mediocre (maybe Knizia exempted -- not really familiar with the rest of his huge catalog). I think in a sense he kind of is a one-hit wonder, but a legendary one? Deckbuilding and Dominion completely changed the hobby, and very few designers can compare in that respect. Sort of the opposite of that would be Garfield, who came up with Magic, but then has an insanely good portfolio beyond that (not really fair to compare anyone to Garfield though :p).

Apart from Kingdom Builder, what's been a big hit that he's done? What's been a hit that he's done? ... He changed the boardgame landscape with Dominion for sure, but nothing else has captured the zeitgest or even been a large hit IMO. And yeah, things like Gauntlet of Fools... Monster Factory... gah...

Karkador

Banned
Apart from Kingdom Builder, what's been a big hit that he's done? What's been a hit that he's done? ... He changed the boardgame landscape with Dominion for sure, but nothing else has captured the zeitgest or even been a large hit IMO. And yeah, things like Gauntlet of Fools... Monster Factory... gah...

Android Infiltration was pretty good.

Why exclude Kingdom Builder, though? It's the second biggest thing he's worked on, and he's otherwise not super prolific

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, Kingdom Builder is the only other big hit afaik. He has stuck around and produced medium-profile games though unlike some true one-hit wonders. I'm partial to Infiltration over Kingdom Builder myself, but it's too bad because Infiltration could really benefit from an expansion. Core game is really fun.

EYEL1NER

That looks neat, just sold me a copy a of Burgle Bros
Well, I hope you enjoy it. I kind of fell in love with it once I saw the character artwork during its original Kickstarter run and then didn't back it. When it came out and people started getting it and saying how good it was, I began kicking myself for not getting it before and rushed to the store and bought it. I really hope I can play it more soon but i imagine I'm not the only person in this new game group who has a ton of unplayed games that they need to try, so maybe getting that introductory game going might have to be good enough for a while.

Yep, Kingdom Builder is the only other big hit afaik. He has stuck around and produced medium-profile games though unlike some true one-hit wonders. I'm partial to Infiltration over Kingdom Builder myself, but it's too bad because Infiltration could really benefit from an expansion. Core game is really fun.

Wasn't he responsible for Android: Netrunner? Not Infiltration. Also he did King of Tokyo too, which I'd say it arguably a bigger hit than Kingdom Builder.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wasn't he responsible for Android: Netrunner? Not Infiltration. Also he did King of Tokyo too, which I'd say it arguably a bigger hit than Kingdom Builder.
Yeah sorry I meant DXV for both of those (Infiltration and KB). Garfield is a gawd. Magic, V:TES, (original) Netunner, Robo Rally, King of Tokyo....

Nezumi

Played a few rounds of Santorini over the last couple of days and I'm already more than happy with the purchase even though I haven't even touched the god powers yet. I love how it is so simple yet so strategically deep at the same time. Every round we played so far has vastly differed from the rest.
Can't wait to test all the god powers and see how they change up the game. Especially some of the Golden Fleece gods sound absolutely insane (in a good way).

Oh and the game looks really cool and the way the pieces stack perfectly is sooo satisfying :)

Vasel's pirate list made me bust out Merchants and Marauders last night. I played using the solo variant I found on BGG. You essentially play the game as normal and the biggest change is in the setup. Prior to setting up the board you draw from the event deck until you have 2 NPC nation ships and 1 NPC pirate ship. Then you deal 15 events and put the rest of the deck in the box. You play until you reach 10 Glory (no glory points for stashing gold) or the event deck runs out.

The solo game felt very good. Easy to run and plays really close to a multiplayer game. I would recommend it if you are looking for a solo experience.

Mr E.

Vasel's pirate list made me bust out Merchants and Marauders last night. I played using the solo variant I found on BGG. You essentially play the game as normal and the biggest change is in the setup. Prior to setting up the board you draw from the event deck until you have 2 NPC nation ships and 1 NPC pirate ship. Then you deal 15 events and put the rest of the deck in the box. You play until you reach 10 Glory (no glory points for stashing gold) or the event deck runs out.

The solo game felt very good. Easy to run and plays really close to a multiplayer game. I would recommend it if you are looking for a solo experience.

Yep I've played that variant. Do you have Seas of Glory too?

I really need to pick up Francis Drake at some point even if I play it very rarely.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I really need to try that out. M&M is one of my white-whale games in the sense that I've owned it for over five years and have neither played nor sold it. Just need to get the ball rolling though. I mean I owned Eldritch for 18m before finally busting it out, now I've played it 15+ times (though I suspect M&M is a little tougher b/c of player-count requirement).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Finally got around to buying a second Arkham Horror LCG core. Obviously conflicted. I have absolutely no problem paying for a full play set of character cards. And I don't think the core is priced unfairly at all... However, having to buy a FULL second core with ~150 cards completely useless feels bad man...

Still, having a full play set of player cards feels great. That is WAYYYY too much shit to proxy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally got around to buying a second Arkham Horror LCG core. Obviously conflicted. I have absolutely no problem paying for a full play set of character cards. And I don't think the core is priced unfairly at all... However, having to buy a FULL second core with ~150 cards completely useless feels bad man...

Still, having a full play set of player cards feels great. That is WAYYYY too much shit to proxy.

Scan and print your own proxies with Artscow or something. That's what I did with LOTR LCG when I was playing that a bunch.

I went the route I did because buying 3 core sets to get a playset of cards is fucking stupid.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Scan and print your own proxies with Artscow or something. That's what I did with LOTR LCG when I was playing that a bunch.

I went the route I did because buying 3 core sets to get a playset of cards is fucking stupid.

I have gotten so much value out of the game so far that paying for the two I feel I am still ahead. Dunwich is a full play set, well, in the literal term. Obviously if you want more than one character to have two Fire Axes, you are SOL.

zeeaykay

My copy of Gloomhaven arrives today!!!
Jumped on the pre-order when it went up on CSI, it will be a long month wait. Let me know how components are, I've heard some early complaints about the health and xp tracking on the player boards. Are you going to be able to play with a group soon?

This game really does seem like the ultimate action/RPG board game, I'm honestly shocked the price isn't closer to $200. I'm sure it will get a lot of comparisons to KD:MY, but the gameplay system in this just looks way more compelling.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jumped on the pre-order when it went up on CSI, it will be a long month wait. Let me know how components are, I've heard some early complaints about the health and xp tracking on the player boards. Are you going to be able to play with a group soon?

This game really does seem like the ultimate action/RPG board game, I'm honestly shocked the price isn't closer to $200. I'm sure it will get a lot of comparisons to KD:MY, but the gameplay system in this just looks way more compelling.

I'm going to play solo for the moment. I've got a few friends who I want to setup a regular gaming night with to play through the campaign, though. I like that the game caters to campaign and one-shot play. We'll see.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I really need to try that out. M&M is one of my white-whale games in the sense that I've owned it for over five years and have neither played nor sold it. Just need to get the ball rolling though. I mean I owned Eldritch for 18m before finally busting it out, now I've played it 15+ times (though I suspect M&M is a little tougher b/c of player-count requirement).

This is Space Alert for me. Got it in 2013, Vlada is my favorite designer and we STILL have not played it yet. Should probably do something about that lol

Karkador

Banned
Actually played a real game of Castles of Burgundy last night (I think I've only played it solo before). 4 players kinda drags a bit, definitely one of those "best for 2" types of games, but it was pretty fun to actually play against people. I wish that game had a better production overall, though - lots of its components are pretty thin.

Also played Ra again, which is really climbing personal ranks for me. I think anybody who likes Sushi Go would like Ra (it's the same type of set collection game), but the bidding mechanic that drives it really adds the extra dimension to make it interesting and different each time.

Also played Ponzi Scheme again, and the flow of the strategy is maybe starting to click a little. It's such a strange game in concept, really brain-bending in how you balance your money and debts. It's like if you all jumped out of an airplane, and are angling to make sure somebody hits the ground first to break your fall.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This is Space Alert for me. Got it in 2013, Vlada is my favorite designer and we STILL have not played it yet. Should probably do something about that lol

Yep I had Space Alert for about two years before just selling it. I did actually get to play it once and even though I love Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert just wasn't for me. So I suppose I did play it once before selling it on. :p

Apropos of nothing, kind of wish Vlaada would do a Galaxy Trucker reboot as I think the core concept and flow of that game is amazing, just needs to be smoothed and streamlined a touch, and the game also got way bloated with all the expansions (which I'd be happy to ignore, but they add cool and important parts along with some bloat/unnecessary parts).

Karkador

Banned
Galaxy Trucker is inoffensive, I don't even necessarily consider it a bad game, but it's a mixed bag of stuff that doesn't really come together for me.

Space Alert is a lot of fun, IMO, but it IS hard to find the occasion to play it, since you want the audio.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Family Size box of Frosted Cheerios for scale...Because I didn't have a banana available.

GQzCB07l.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Galaxy Trucker is inoffensive, I don't even necessarily consider it a bad game, but it's a mixed bag of stuff that doesn't really come together for me.

Space Alert is a lot of fun, IMO, but it IS hard to find the occasion to play it, since you want the audio.

Yeah GT is more my bag, but I do feel that they both suffer from a similar vibe in that at their heart they're kind of light goofy games, but there's just a lot of rules overhead for such a feeling. Like I would love to play GT with more casual groups but it's just too intimidating with all the various layers of rules between parts, ship placements, races, etc.

Mr E.

Looks like I can use the Gloomhaven box to stand on to reach the top of my shelves.
Gloom haven will stay in shrink for a month or two.

I have Unconditional Surrender set up and I'm in the proceeds of Invading France and will look to do some more mini campaigns before attempting the big one, full on European theatre of war 1939/1945(46).

The rate I'm going it's around 90 minutes per turn.
A turn = Month. So it's quite a time sink and effort but you get out what you put in.

Dreavus

Huh. I had no idea the reception was bad for that game. Although I can kind of see why. My friend picked it up a while ago and it's alright. Everyone's playing off of the same deck of cards which I could see some people not liking though since there's no guarantees in what you'll draw and there are a ton of different cards.

Most of the fun comes from trying to figure out the best strategy to play with the given "twists" and also trying to guess what your opponents will do so you can benefit from the "spy" action (although you can ignore that in some games and still do well, which I thought was a bit strange). The way everyone tries to play to a specific twist's strength game to game reminds me of Dominion in some ways.

It's just kind of... inoffensive. I wouldn't call it terrible but you aren't missing that much by not picking it up, lol. I have to wonder if he did this game before or after Dominion?

ultron87

My friends have always been pretty lukewarm on deckbuilders, but I've started going to a weekly meetup where there are plenty of fans. This has resulted in me picking up the Trains: Rising Sun expansion and Aeon's End over the last week.

Trains remains really good, and I really liked Aeon's End in the couple solo games I've played so far. The idea of not shuffling your deck ever (so you just flip your discard pile into your new deck) both speeds up the proceedings and adds way more decision making to the play beyond which cards you buy. It seems neat and another co-op deckbuilder in addition to Alien is good to have. Looking forward to playing it with people on Wednesday.

One negative for Aeon's End is that the components are craaaaap. The cardstock feels very thin and is one of the first games where I've felt like it definitely needs sleeves.

zulux21

bleh... been a week since Greenbrier Games got my copy of Grimslingers in the mail to send me a replacement.

they still haven't gotten back to me from my email sent 5 days ago or said anything since "If you are willing to send us your copy of the 1st edition, we will be happy to send you a new copy of the 2nd edition
at no further cost."

I'll give them a few more days but I am not happy with the company and I am likely going to blast them hard on any place I can think of if they don't respond soon. (I mean I get if it takes a while to ready a shipment but a week is more than enough time for a smaller company to shoot me an email saying "hey we got your package we will be shipping your replacement when we can get around to it.")

I mean the game isn't super popular on BBG and only has one review on amazon so there is a good chance if I explain how they are a bad company on those places it might actually get noticed.

My friends have always been pretty lukewarm on deckbuilders, but I've started going to a weekly meetup where there are plenty of fans. This has resulted in me picking up the Trains: Rising Sun expansion and Aeon's End over the last week.

Trains remains really good, and I really liked Aeon's End in the couple solo games I've played so far. The idea of not shuffling your deck ever (so you just flip your discard pile into your new deck) both speeds up the proceedings and adds way more decision making to the play beyond which cards you buy. It seems neat and another co-op deckbuilder in addition to Alien is good to have. Looking forward to playing it with people on Wednesday.

One negative for Aeon's End is that the components are craaaaap. The cardstock feels very thin and is one of the first games where I've felt like it definitely needs sleeves.

to be fair most deck builders should get cheap sleeves put on them in general. I would get sleeves on aliens ASAP as the more times you play it the more brown your starter cards will get, after 15-20 plays you can easily spot the starter cards in a deck even if you aren't looking for them.

Phthisis

I have Unconditional Surrender set up and I'm in the proceeds of Invading France and will look to do some more mini campaigns before attempting the big one, full on European theatre of war 1939/1945(46).

The rate I'm going it's around 90 minutes per turn.
A turn = Month. So it's quite a time sink and effort but you get out what you put in.

Me and a friend have been playing the full campaign in my loft for about a year. Currently in March of 41. Love that game; GMT has mounted version of the map up on P500, in case that was something you were interested in.

Mr E.

Me and a friend have been playing the full campaign in my loft for about a year. Currently in March of 41. Love that game; GMT has mounted version of the map up on P500, in case that was something you were interested in.
Having seen the thickness of the Thunder Alley boards when folded up I can only imagine how massive The board(s) would be for this.

I'm cool with plexi-glass and put the funds towards another game.

Introduced Clank! to more people over the weekend. More people bought their own copy of Clank! So good.

Bought Clank! last week but still haven't played it because our house is currently a mess due to the installation of new floor tiles last week.

Gah! I really want to play it now. :(

Top Bottom