• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
Finally, one house rule that we always play with: In the game, when a character takes enough wounds to drop below one of the triggers, the camp morale goes down one. This is logical..."Oh, Bob's hurt bad, things really suck"...or maybe Bob just whines about his injuries more. Whatever, the loss of morale is understood. However, if you heal Bob back up to above the tick, the rules say that morale does NOT increase. In this way, Bob could get hurt, the camp loses morale, then Bob heals, and then gets hurt again, the camp would lose another morale. It happened a few times to us, and we decided to fuck that... So our house rule is that healing up past a tick also boosts morale. Thematically it works, and it really didn't change the difficulty that much, just prevented the truly player-morale crushing experiences.
It's too bad I read this post. :p I had misread even the new rules and thought healing COULD boost morale.

So I guess playing strictly by the rules would involve strategies of not healing just past the tick, otherwise you risk immediate morale loss.

Gurrry

Yeah it's a lot of fun. Only wish that we actually had more tournaments by me (San Jose) but it's insane that all the players seem to be in SF/Sacramento (like a couple of the Knights of Ren guys) and very few down here unfortunately. I've actually been getting practice in on TTS which has worked out OK though it's not a replacement of course.

Are you saying you're sick of Jango decks? :p I mean Vader/Raider is still very good if you prefer a control style. Mill is not very strong right now imo but I actually don't mind that as I don't enjoy the Mill play experience where you have to just hold on to all your cards and ping them forever. But I'm fine acclimating if it ever does rise in prominence.

Hahaha yes i am sick of jango. I just wish there was more/better removal for blue heroes. Deflect, Heroism, Force Misdirection are all good but they come with weird caveats, to where as yellow neutral just has so many good cards it feels a tad unbalanced at the moment.

A quick side question, im interested in getting a new playmat but I want one that is a bit smaller than the regular 24X14. I see people at my stores with playmats that have decent width, but way less height.

Anyone know what size these are and where to find some? I feel like my current mats always impede on my opponents space.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hahaha yes i am sick of jango. I just wish there was more/better removal for blue heroes. Deflect, Heroism, Force Misdirection are all good but they come with weird caveats, to where as yellow neutral just has so many good cards it feels a tad unbalanced at the moment.

A quick side question, im interested in getting a new playmat but I want one that is a bit smaller than the regular 24X14. I see people at my stores with playmats that have decent width, but way less height.

Anyone know what size these are and where to find some? I feel like my current mats always impede on my opponents space.

Maybe too small for you but these guys sell a 16x10: http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-16-x-10

As far as blue heroes, yeah I mean any mono deck right now is tough (except maybe blue villain which is T1.5/2) and that's one of the tougher ones. If you want to play Blue though why not just go for something like Lukebar, which is at core a ton of blue but also can bring in some red help to fill in the gaps?

As to removal yeah right now I'm actually playing an almost insane amount of removal in my Han/Rey deck and it's been working out. Nice thing is I can even play fringe cards like Daring Escape (1x, underrated imo) because Han gets the shield off the Ambush so it pushes the card into playable territory (for me at least). Don't neglect what you think might be middling/costly removal! Like Anticipate, Mind Trick, etc. You won't use them every game but they can hit really big a good amount of the time. The only real condition to those going off is money, but they can hit way bigger than just an Electroshock or w/e. That's why I have 1x Daring Escape and 2x Negotiate in my deck, b/c you think Electroshock is this all-powerful thing but realistically there are a lot of sticky situations it can't get you out of, especially against Blue actually. I've definitely 2x Daring Escaped someone and pretty much ruined their game. This is even more true now that people are running cards like Fight Dirty that just check number of dice and not even result. Just get that junk off the board.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played a game of Blood Rage last night where i ended up winning after going into the third age with 0 points. My friends need to gitgud.

Finally going to get a chance to play DOOM, any tips for either side?

a1.jpg

AMUSIX

It's too bad I read this post. :p I had misread even the new rules and thought healing COULD boost morale.

So I guess playing strictly by the rules would involve strategies of not healing just past the tick, otherwise you risk immediate morale loss.

That's exactly why we house ruled it. Too often we were not healing because of the very frequent event of immediately losing another morale. Healing becomes terrible at that point.

Thematically, healing would definitely boost morale...at least as much as making the camp a little cleaner would.

AMUSIX

Does anyone else have a kickstarter sickness? I'm currently backing 10 different games. Some are big (Mythic Battles Pantheon, Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon, The 7th Continent) and some smaller (Dodgy Dealers, Ember: Light and Dark, Fugitive) but damnit, I need to stop.

The three that are currently live are

Tao Long
33mnwfgm.png

A small, strategic 2-player game. Onitama competitor, with a neat mancala turn mechanic.

Trickster
OGEyQnkm.jpg

Simple multi-player trick taking game. Hopefully it's as teachable as Sushi Go. I have Parade, and this seems a bit similar, but maybe more strategic?

The Wold of SMOG: Rise of Moloch
vG2Zoylm.png

CMON's next big game. 1 vs All, in a steampunk victorian setting. Almost admitting that I'm buying it to paint the minis...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does anyone else have a kickstarter sickness? I'm currently backing 10 different games. Some are big (Mythic Battles Pantheon, Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon, The 7th Continent) and some smaller (Dodgy Dealers, Ember: Light and Dark, Fugitive) but damnit, I need to stop.

Haha I'm kinda the opposite in that I sort of have an inherent bias against Kickstarters because I feel they're either overhyped (by their backers and various astroturfers), overpriced (since they'll be half at retail), or just insanely delayed (like the 3+ years it took me to get Tokkaido CE (which should have been a safe bet)). Not saying they're all like that, just have this really innate skepticism about them. I do support like Dice Tower (for the promos) and the occasional (maybe 1/year at this point) game though.

Palmer_v1

I've slowed down on Kickstarters for sure. I don't even have time to play most of my board games as it is. It also felt like the stuff I was interested in was more of a preorder system anyway.

Now that I have Gloomhaven, there aren't any boardgame ones I'm waiting on. Gloomhaven, at least, seemed like one that needed kickstarting.

Theres just too many games that are nothing more than crates of components, with paper thin games. Games that don't need to be hundreds of dollars in merch and you having to give up half a closet in storage. They sell cause people think they are getting value, though I doubt many ever use all the stuff even. So many of these games could be done cheaper, smaller scale with simple components. And so many "meh" releases upon release.

The only kickstarters I've backed recently have been smaller scale deals that need support and sound neat.

KJ869

I mostly go for kickstarters that I think will be hard to get later from finland or where price is decent and I like the idea. Thats why I liked pyramid arcade and why I probaly will go for zendo box when it comes to kickstarter. Endangered Orphans of Condyle Cove, Unfair, Minto Works, Gloomhaven mythic battles of pantheon. and Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 is my current boardgame waiting list. Oh and Star Patrol but that is pretty mutch dead.

Current kickstar fun seems to be with Mythic Battles of Pantheos or how not to run kickstarter with separate shipping. They have now twice tried to open pledgemanager, last time they managed to get it running for few hours only to see flood of complaints about insane shipping costs that were 3-10x as mutch as estimated and 2x as mutch as real shipping costs people were abel to quote for personal packages from claimed shipping hub country to target country.

Gurrry

Maybe too small for you but these guys sell a 16x10: http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-16-x-10

As far as blue heroes, yeah I mean any mono deck right now is tough (except maybe blue villain which is T1.5/2) and that's one of the tougher ones. If you want to play Blue though why not just go for something like Lukebar, which is at core a ton of blue but also can bring in some red help to fill in the gaps?

As to removal yeah right now I'm actually playing an almost insane amount of removal in my Han/Rey deck and it's been working out. Nice thing is I can even play fringe cards like Daring Escape (1x, underrated imo) because Han gets the shield off the Ambush so it pushes the card into playable territory (for me at least). Don't neglect what you think might be middling/costly removal! Like Anticipate, Mind Trick, etc. You won't use them every game but they can hit really big a good amount of the time. The only real condition to those going off is money, but they can hit way bigger than just an Electroshock or w/e. That's why I have 1x Daring Escape and 2x Negotiate in my deck, b/c you think Electroshock is this all-powerful thing but realistically there are a lot of sticky situations it can't get you out of, especially against Blue actually. I've definitely 2x Daring Escaped someone and pretty much ruined their game. This is even more true now that people are running cards like Fight Dirty that just check number of dice and not even result. Just get that junk off the board.

Thanks! Ill have to check out the 16X10's.

And yeah, I would run Lukebar but I dont have a Luke. Right now im running Quigon/Rey and doing shield shenanigans. I went 2-2 last week with it, so its not bad but I lost to Vader/Raider and Jango/Bala/Trooper. I might go Vader/eKylo tomorrow instead but I dont have a Kylo saber or any force choke so my blue villian decks arent as strong.

Anticipate is a card I run, but like you said, you have to manage economy well in order for it to land, AND hope that you dont face Jango god rolls. I am thinking about removing it for something cheaper but I keep going back and forth on it. Once I get this next box, I feel ill have more options.

AMUSIX

Current kickstar fun seems to be with Mythic Battles of Pantheos or how not to run kickstarter with separate shipping. They have now twice tried to open pledgemanager, last time they managed to get it running for few hours only to see flood of complaints about insane shipping costs that were 3-10x as mutch as estimated and 2x as mutch as real shipping costs people were abel to quote for personal packages from claimed shipping hub country to target country.
Yeah, that's been quite the hullabaloo. Some of the complaints have been wholly justified, but so many more are just ridiculous. Yes, they underquoted shipping, but I don't think they realized that the final package would be 50lbs. Most of the US and EU shipping prices were very reasonable for the size of the package, but you still see the flood of complaints. The thing that gets me is that the team has been VERY communicative, extremely responsive, and it's been probably the most inclusive KS I've seen. For the entire campaign, people have been praising them, and saying how incredible they've been. Then they have an issue with their PM stable and getting shipping costs calculated correctly. An issue that they've jumped on. And all that goodwill seems to have completely vanished. People are fucks.

EYEL1NER

I'll be in on that one. A spiritual successor to Blood Rage only with a Japanese theme? Sounds good to me. Blood Rage was something I wanted but won't buy anytime soon since I missed getting all of it at a decent price during the first Kickstarter. I won't make the same mistake with Rising Sun. I'm surprised though; I figured this one was still a ways off, more towards the summer. Oh well, they can have my money now.

Barsinister

Banned
I'll be in on that one. A spiritual successor to Blood Rage only with a Japanese theme? Sounds good to me. Blood Rage was something I wanted but won't buy anytime soon since I missed getting all of it at a decent price during the first Kickstarter. I won't make the same mistake with Rising Sun. I'm surprised though; I figured this one was still a ways off, more towards the summer. Oh well, they can have my money now.

You really aren't missing anything by just getting the base game. With the base and expansions available, it's a solid game.

RIP a heap of games like cry havoc which will never be heard of again.

fenners

You really aren't missing anything by just getting the base game. With the base and expansions available, it's a solid game.

The base game/retail of Blood Rage is just fine. The important extras are available as expansions at retail without any difficulty to buy. You miss out on some figures,sure, but it really doesn't make a difference IMO (and I have the kickstarter).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RIP a heap of games like cry havoc which will never be heard of again.

Hahaha seriously. Board games has become like video games in terms of cult of the new. Not that I'm even hating on it, and I certainly participate in some ways, just really funny to observe. Especially these mid/heavy euro/AT mashups (eric lang's wheelhouse) just seem to be so faddish. I almost wanna say it started with stuff like Eclipse.

JesseZao

Just picked up Santorini. How much does the Golden Fleece expansion add in terms of fun/replayability? I will probably get it eventually as the base game is solid.

fenners

Hahaha seriously. Board games has become like video games in terms of cult of the new. Not that I'm even hating on it, and I certainly participate in some ways, just really funny to observe. Especially these mid/heavy euro/AT mashups (eric lang's wheelhouse) just seem to be so faddish. I almost wanna say it started with stuff like Eclipse.

Going by what my group buys & plays, *long* before Eclipse, cult of the new's been a thing for a decade for the Euro scene. We're just getting more of everything these days, especially crossovers/mid-weight.

And Lang's games largely aren't even heavy Euros, mostly ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Going by what my group buys & plays, *long* before Eclipse, cult of the new's been a thing for a decade for the Euro scene. We're just getting more of everything these days, especially crossovers/mid-weight.

And Lang's games largely aren't even heavy Euros, mostly ;)
Yeah but they are crossovers (sorry meant those, not euros which actually I would put low on cult of new scale). Those seem the most faddish to me in the sense of "best game ever" to no one is talking about or playing it two months later.

EYEL1NER

Rising Sun may be next month but I had forgotten until seeing an email newsletter right now that this month is Thunderstone Quest. Maybe I will have played my copy of Thunderstone Advance before then.

Protome

I backed Tao Long and almost backed the CMON one but decided it was too rich for my blood.

I have also backed the Superhot card game though.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, I'm looking for a fun, simple, HOPEFULLY horror-themed family board game. It'll be for me, my girlfriend, and two daughters ages 14 and 11.

Ideally it'll be fast moving, easy to get into, simple to remember, and hold their attention. We used to like the app version of Zombie Dice by Steve Jackson games back in the day but I'm looking on Amazon and there's a trillion expansions and variants and versions. Something simple sorta like that would be perfect though!

Guys, I'm looking for a fun, simple, HOPEFULLY horror-themed family board game. It'll be for me, my girlfriend, and two daughters ages 14 and 11.

Ideally it'll be fast moving, easy to get into, simple to remember, and hold their attention. We used to like the app version of Zombie Dice by Steve Jackson games back in the day but I'm looking on Amazon and there's a trillion expansions and variants and versions. Something simple sorta like that would be perfect though!

Simple kind of restricts it a bit and definition of horror is always tricky. Have a look into the following:

* Mysterium - Light on the horror but you can roll play it pretty well.
* Betrayal at House on the Hill - Apparently not a great game, but probably ticks the boxes for movie style horror
* Gloom - If you want a simpler card game. Probably a bit abstract on the horror though.
* Escape Zombie - Furious simple dice chucking with a lighter zombie theme
* Escape from Aliens from Outer Space - Hidden movement game, simple to play but will probably get the tension up
* Zombie 15 - If you want to set up a heap of stuff on a table and then look at that stuff and then you play and the stuff sort of moves a bit and then you put it away

Maybe Dead of Winter too, but that will probably be too heavy, game wise and thematically.

Nezumi

Just picked up Santorini. How much does the Golden Fleece expansion add in terms of fun/replayability? I will probably get it eventually as the base game is solid.

I'd say that depends on how much you actually play it. I ordered the version with the expansions already included and I don't even have used the god cards yet. I'm psyched to try them out, but there are so many in the base game alone that one already has to play the game a lot to even get anywhere near of getting bored with the possibilities.

So the question is whether you really need the 15 or what new gods, which actually read a bit too over the top for my taste but I reserve that judgment for when I have actually played any of them. Because to play with the Golden fleece rule you might just as well use any old marker and the hero cards are, kind of meh, at least for me. So your need for the expansion really only depends on those cards.

Just to be clear, I really like the way they implemented the theme into the rules of the game and on paper I think some of the expansion god powers look really cool, I just fear they might be more of a hassle to play, but I'd be more than happy if that is not the case when I finally get to play them these days.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'd say that depends on how much you actually play it. I ordered the version with the expansions already included and I don't even have used the god cards yet. I'm psyched to try them out, but there are so many in the base game alone that one already has to play the game a lot to even get anywhere near of getting bored with the possibilities.

So the question is whether you really need the 15 or what new gods, which actually read a bit too over the top for my taste but I reserve that judgment for when I have actually played any of them. Because to play with the Golden fleece rule you might just as well use any old marker and the hero cards are, kind of meh, at least for me. So your need for the expansion really only depends on those cards.

Just to be clear, I really like the way they implemented the theme into the rules of the game and on paper I think some of the expansion god powers look really cool, I just fear they might be more of a hassle to play, but I'd be more than happy if that is not the case when I finally get to play them these days.

I tried some of them and they absolutely make the game more challenging because of how much more variety they provide. I welcome any added depth and challenge in these games though, might not be your cup of tea.

Iced

I've not played it, but it sounds like Fearsome Floors might be what you're after.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks! Ill have to check out the 16X10's.

And yeah, I would run Lukebar but I dont have a Luke. Right now im running Quigon/Rey and doing shield shenanigans. I went 2-2 last week with it, so its not bad but I lost to Vader/Raider and Jango/Bala/Trooper. I might go Vader/eKylo tomorrow instead but I dont have a Kylo saber or any force choke so my blue villian decks arent as strong.

Anticipate is a card I run, but like you said, you have to manage economy well in order for it to land, AND hope that you dont face Jango god rolls. I am thinking about removing it for something cheaper but I keep going back and forth on it. Once I get this next box, I feel ill have more options.

blue removal isn't superbad, but yeah it's probably at the low end.

Force Throw is easily one of the strongest cards in the game. This and eFinn make two Rey starters a solid purchase.

Force Misdirection is surprisingly good. Blue ALWAYS seems to have that errant ranged side roll out, and it is stunning to your Jango/Bala opponent when you pay 1 resource, spot your One With the Force 3r (or Force Throw, or Force Training), to remove ALL of their dice, then still get to resolve your 3r on the next action.

Rey's Staff is also one of the best hero weapons in the game IMHO. 3 solid damage sides and a special allowing removal.

Obviously Deflect, especially with most metas.

Then the neutrals like Dodge and Flank (if you're running three characters especially).

So yeah, not quite up to yellow (Electroshock and He Doesn't Like You).. but some solid options. And unlike Yellow's biggest removal (HDLY) most either leave your dice on the table or do damage with their removal.

JesseZao

I tried some of them and they absolutely make the game more challenging because of how much more variety they provide. I welcome any added depth and challenge in these games though, might not be your cup of tea.

I suppose I could just proxy the extras since they included the expansion in the vanilla rulebook. Later on, I could pick up Golden Fleece for the nice components. It'll be awhile, like you said before I'll be bored of the included cards. I've mostly played the game as a pure abstract so far anyway.

zulux21

grimslingers final update.

so they never sent me an email saying they got mine or that they were sending the replacement but I did finally get a package from them.

it was packaged nicely in a box... and oh yeah the one corner is completely crushed *looks like how you would expect a corner to look if you dropped it from 20 feet or so and it landed on that corner) meaning they clearly sent me one they couldn't sell anyways. oh well, ideally when I do my card count sunday that it will all be there this time can I can finally play the game and hopefully it's a decent game and this company never comes out with a game I am interested in again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So yeah, not quite up to yellow (Electroshock and He Doesn't Like You).. but some solid options. And unlike Yellow's biggest removal (HDLY) most either leave your dice on the table or do damage with their removal.

Yeah and I'm kind of with the recent trend of thinking that paying a buck, an action, and a card to remove a single die (<3 and spot yellow) is not exactly OP or even absolute must-have. (I still have 2x in Han/Rey, don't get me wrong.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can I get some opinion on Carson City?

Mechanically and theme-wise a super-strong Euro. It's actually much more brainburny and mathy than you might expect from just looking at the theme, so be ready for that. You also can of course duel people for spots so if your group is averse to direct player targeting it might not fly either. I only play it once a year or so but I think it's a great game.

Gurrry

blue removal isn't superbad, but yeah it's probably at the low end.

Force Throw is easily one of the strongest cards in the game. This and eFinn make two Rey starters a solid purchase.

Force Misdirection is surprisingly good. Blue ALWAYS seems to have that errant ranged side roll out, and it is stunning to your Jango/Bala opponent when you pay 1 resource, spot your One With the Force 3r (or Force Throw, or Force Training), to remove ALL of their dice, then still get to resolve your 3r on the next action.

Rey's Staff is also one of the best hero weapons in the game IMHO. 3 solid damage sides and a special allowing removal.

Obviously Deflect, especially with most metas.

Then the neutrals like Dodge and Flank (if you're running three characters especially).

Good post! I currently run all of those cards you listed. It isnt that bad, but it still isnt up to villian yellow.... yet. Im excited to see what the new set does.

Ended up going 2-2 again tonight with Quigon Rey. I was sooooo close to winning the 2 games I lost too. I got crime lorded in one game and nearly ended up winning. Only needed to kill of a trooper and wouldve had it. The other loss, came from my favorite Jango/Trooper/Bala deck. I didnt get god rolled though, so it was a fair fight. I nearly won that won too.

Couldve been 4-0!

AMUSIX

Fearsome Floors: very simplistic, but can be fun. It's certainly fast moving, so that works. However, check it out, because you might feel like the theme is a little thin. Do know that the game is very light, so if that's what you're going for, great.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill: more complex. Although they're simplified, it still uses things like character stats, skill rolls, and item activation. This one maybe try to find someone who has it to borrow or come over and show you. There's been a bit of backlash against the game, as with any insanely popular game, but I still find it the single best game to capture the traditional horror theme.

Zombicide: Black Plague: OK, hear me out on this one. It's a big game, bigger than the above two, but it's very intuitive. Yes, it has items and attack rolls and levelling up and lots of tiny cards and so many minis, and it's absolutely nothing close to the simple nature of Zombie Dice...but it also has the player dashboards. Somehow, those basic plastic panels make the game so accessible to relative gaming newcomers. And your family might get into the quests...Oh, and the game is co-operative, so if you don't want that, skip it....
Maybe this is another one to try and borrow?

Those are good suggestions, I wouldn't be put off by the worries about complexity.

Sites like BGG make a big deal about it, but I've found if your kids have had any sort of experience with videogames, and given where we are they probably have, then any "complex" board game will be picked up very easily.

Palmer_v1

Those are good suggestions, I wouldn't be put off by the worries about complexity.

Sites like BGG make a big deal about it, but I've found if your kids have had any sort of experience with videogames, and given where we are they probably have, then any "complex" board game will be picked up very easily.

My only complaint about betrayal is that's it's like two games in one. The initial exploration is entertaining, but as you progress, there's an event happening that will eventually make someone a traitor. Once that actually happens, it's a pretty different game. The secondary part can also be wildly swingy in terms of balance.

That said, it's still one of my favorite games with newer people.

Top Bottom