• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New CAD Comics

Is it just me, or do Kaz and Phil look way too similar here? I thought it was the same character in the first and third panels at first.

cad-oneface.png

Ray51

Neo Member
can we just talk about good comics instead? any time this guy or the cat man publishes a new strip there's a thread about it, it seems pointless cruel to me. apologies if there already are thread about good game comics and i've just overlooked them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay I'll bite, why do we all hate CAD?

Cause...it's terrible?

It's not funny, it's not clever, and it doesn't have a particularly pleasing art style.

Then again, that could also describe Penny Arcade, yet everyone seems to love that for some reason.

SerTapTap

There's beating the joke to death and then there's this, which I believe is legally defined as abuse of a corpse.

This is the best one. This is how you make overtelling the joke into the joke.

That Vivilloon one is fantastic too

FyreWulff

The first one would have been good with no text bubble and the minecraft text on the bottom.

Every webcomic likes to overexplain the joke. STOP

Spacejaws

Wow I'm kinda confused. I've never followed CAD but he made a strip about his girlfriends miscarriage and the internet then proceeded to parody it ad infinitum?

Am I the only one that thinks thats kind of sick from both the author and the parodies?

Roto13

I wish we could have a thread about how terrible CAD is without it being 90% posts of that "Loss" comic and its parodies.

That comic is terrible so but so are most of the ones preceding and following it, guys.

Corpekata

Banned
Wow I'm kinda confused. I've never followed CAD but he made a strip about his girlfriends miscarriage and the internet then proceeded to parody it ad infinitum?

Am I the only one that thinks thats kind of sick from both the author and the parodies?

They are making fun of Buckley for turning his goofy shitty gaming comic into a personal drama. Not making fun of the miscarriage itself. The fact that it is inappropriate is also part of the point.

tim-actually-said-this.png

Those were Buckley's actual words.

Altazor

He also then proceeded to say something akin to "yeah, it sucked but I got over it" very nonchalantly. There was a Cyanide and Happiness comic about it.

EDIT: BEATEN!

LDAF

Dear God, these parodies (the Pokemon one is amazing, and so is the one with everything made out of the comic itself) are amazing. They make the existence of the series worthwhile.

Spacejaws

Ok I get your reasonings but it still a pretty horrible subject matter. Like if someone had made a shit comic about a personnel rape or historical sexual abuse they should set the fuck away from that comic. Particularly if the author wasn't actually affected but someone they knew.

I don't have a delicate predisposition but it feels a bit like dead baby jokes, literally, because the fathers a douche.

Sorry I had to let that off my chest. Continue the fun.

G-Fex

If Tim Buckley didn't make these awful comics then there wouldn't be threads on them then where would all the loss parodies go?

So that's one positive.

Shauni

i dont get any of it. what the hell is that "loss" comic supposed to be. isn't this some gaming-related comic strip?

There was a running story at one point in which one character miscarried. Apparently, it was based on something that happened with the author in real life.

Vitor711

Ok I get your reasonings but it still a pretty horrible subject matter. Like if someone had made a shit comic about a personnel rape or historical sexual abuse they should set the fuck away from that comic. Particularly if the author wasn't actually affected but someone they knew.

I don't have a delicate predisposition but it feels a bit like dead baby jokes, literally, because the fathers a douche.

Sorry I had to let that off my chest. Continue the fun.

Eh, the issue is in how he handled it. That Cyanide and Happiness comic above? The one with the stick figures and the wall of text in the final panel? That wall of text was what Buckley wrote on the topic. That's the kind of scumbag that he is.

No-one is joking at her expense. Plus, most of these jokes are relegated to the more niche corners of gaming internet like NeoGaf, so it's not like his ex is likely to come across it constantly. As far as trigger warnings go, it can be crass, but it's in no way meant to be at her expense. Not saying they're in good taste, but still, context seems key.

Top Bottom