• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Captain Toad info on playable characters, more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

I see this thread discussion as silly because I don't see Toadette as a damsel but let's ignore that perspective. Typically female characters are used as damsels. Your argument that people wouldn't be complaining if it was male character is myopic.

Ever hear a joke overused that it becomes tiresome? The damsel trope with female characters is just like an overused joke but the difference is that it has more subtle consequences such as informing on what the roles of men and women should be.

It was on overused trope 300 years ago and yet everyone on the internet only started bitching about it like 8 months ago when it became a rallying cry of a "cause."

Rran

I think you are projecting copious amount of rage and frustration into the most inappropriate context and towards the most inappropriate targets.

I am not denying that what you describe is and will always be shallow, irritating, limiting and, as a general tendency in certain entertainment subcultures, may constitute a source of very justified concern. I for one am not sexist at all, never been, never will become such. So please, first of all, refrain from ascribing myself (as well as many others that have disagreed with your opinions) to a category of belligerent males who want to preserve the status quo of their implied dominance. That is just as irritating as the injustice you claim to be battling for.

In this specific case I feel such forms of indignation are improper and seem overly malicious. No one knows how contingent and how contextual that kidnapping scene shall end up being. No one has any certainty right now on the exact role and dimension that scene will entail in the whole presentation of the game. Besides, let me state it another time perhaps more clearly, this is a very simple game whose narrative is just a pretext to gameplay, in typical Nintendo style.

Therefore, provided that in general I would concur with every smallest strain of battle for gender equality, why don't we try to be a little more cautious and objective with our campaigns, without resorting to these explosions of anger and claims of social injustice even when such things are evidently uncalled for?
Was going to post, but then I found that whatever I had planned on typing had already been typed (and in probably a much more eloquent manner). Thanks for saving me the time!!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Personally, I'm still going to play this game, and I still think it looks great.

It's good to find out that you are interested also in games.

I'm trying to figure out your angle here. Why all the sarcastic posts?

My angle is that the story was and is the worst part (if non-existent) is any platformer from Nintendo (and from any other developer, really). And for a sexism discussion for the story of a platformer to occupy much more space than the discussion about the actual game in a thread about said game on the gaming side of the forum is over the top. Not to mention that it's not even yet clear what the full story is and what are the roles of Toad and Toadette. But never mind, I will see myself out of this thread and wait for another thread to discuss about the actual game, I should not decide what the people feel entitled to discuss.

El Odio

Banned
I'm drooling over all those screenshots. But seeing all those ones of toadette in areas captain toad was in in the trailer seems to imply you can alternate between the two.

Karkador

Banned
It was on overused trope 300 years ago and yet everyone on the internet only started bitching about it like 8 months ago when it became a rallying cry of a "cause."

This isn't even close to being true. Even on GAF, the first Tropes vs Women thread was made in 2012, and that certainly wasn't the first time gender in games has ever been brought up.

Aeana

I think you are projecting copious amount of rage and frustration into the most inappropriate context and towards the most inappropriate targets.

I am not denying that what you describe is and will always be shallow, irritating, limiting and, as a general tendency in certain entertainment subcultures, may constitute a source of very justified concern. I for one am not sexist at all, never been, never will become such. So please, first of all, refrain from ascribing myself (as well as many others that have disagreed with your opinions) to a category of belligerent males who want to preserve the status quo of their implied dominance. That is just as irritating as the injustice you claim to be battling for.

In this specific case I feel such forms of indignation are improper and seem overly malicious. No one knows how contingent and how contextual that kidnapping scene shall end up being. No one has any certainty right now on the exact role and dimension that scene will entail in the whole presentation of the game. Besides, let me state it another time perhaps more clearly, this is a very simple game whose narrative is just a pretext to gameplay, in typical Nintendo style.

Therefore, provided that in general I would concur with every smallest strain of battle for gender equality, why don't we try to be a little more cautious and objective with our campaigns, without resorting to these explosions of anger and claims of social injustice even when such things are evidently uncalled for?
A handful of people having a discussion is not a campaign. The fact that it's viewed as such says a lot more about anyone opposing than it does about those who are disappointed. And if you're saying that we shouldn't be having a discussion since we don't have all of the information, then I suppose that we should not allow pre-release discussion for any game. I hope you realize how silly that would be.

I'll agree that it's annoying that Toadette is a damsel in distress (sorta I guess) but at least she's playable. I mean she could easily have been another Princess Peach.

Log4Girlz

What's wrong with rescuing toadette?

I'm going to assume you've ignored the entire discussion. I'm now going to ask you to play a game of devil's advocate. Why would some people, particularly of the female gender, take issue with a female character apparently being set up for a rescue yet again. Please take into consideration the year is 2014 and a woman's place is no longer considered to be in the kitchen with child.

I think it's admirable that folks are tired of the "damsel in distress" plots of games, but I also think that folks need to pick their battles. For an innocent game like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker that isn't trying to make a political/social commentary, when one starts using games like this for debates about gender equality and such, it lessens the impact for other examples. If every game is going to get picked on (maybe a poor choice of words, so I apologize ahead of time just in case), the arguments start to become noise and easy to be ignored.

Exactly. Though I can't say I'm surprised the thread went in this direction. It's not as though GAF doesn't have a crapton misguided and unreasonable posters.

Log4Girlz

Exactly. Though I can't say I'm surprised the thread went in this direction. It's not as though GAF doesn't have a crapton misguided and unreasonable posters.

The fact its an "innocent" game targeted at a younger audience makes it a worthy discussion. Early indoctrination of sexist gender roles shouldn't be overlooked just because of cute graphics.

Sify64

The fact its an "innocent" game targeted at a younger audience makes it a worthy discussion. Early indoctrination of sexist gender roles shouldn't be overlooked just because of cute graphics.

Holy crap... Indoctrination!? I think, it's about time I left this thread.
Can't wait till January to play Captain Toad.
irnbi6401Ot6O.png

Arcanine55

Neo Member
Do you think that 70 courses will be enough? I hope most of them are as long as the last one they show us in the Nintendo Treehouse stream.

Foffy

Banned
Do you think that 70 courses will be enough? I hope most of them are as long as the last one they show us in the Nintendo Treehouse stream.

Well, the game is also not being sold at full retail price. Perhaps Nintendo does see that this game is a hard sell at $60.

Kinsei

Banned
The biggest problem I have with Toadette being taken at the start is that it means I can't play as her from the beginning. If you're going to use a stupid trope, don't let it affect gameplay.

Over 70. I think it's enough. This is the oine type of game where you don't want padding to make it seem longer like the second and third special worlds in 3D World.

Monster Zero

I'm going to assume you've ignored the entire discussion. I'm now going to ask you to play a game of devil's advocate. Why would some people, particularly of the female gender, take issue with a female character apparently being set up for a rescue yet again. Please take into consideration the year is 2014 and a woman's place is no longer considered to be in the kitchen with child.

It's a video game, two friends were adventuring and one got whisked away, and you're off to start your adventure, said girl then JOINS you and you become teammates. I have no idea why a woman would have issue with that. At least your gender is getting more representation in videogames. How long do you think I'll have to wait to play as black toad?

Karkador

Banned
It's a video game, two friends were adventuring and one got whisked away, and you're off to start your adventure, said girl then JOINS you and you become teammates. I have no idea why a woman would have issue with that.

Describing the scenario of the game as a male being "you", and the girl being the teammate that joins you later should answer your question.

Log4Girlz

It's a video game, two friends were adventuring and one got whisked away, and you're off to start your adventure, said girl then JOINS you and you become teammates. I have no idea why a woman would have issue with that. At least your gender is getting more representation in videogames. How long do you think I'll have to wait to play as black toad?

And of course its the female who gets whisked away. Why? Gender roles. Unless like I've stated earlier you can flip what is happening. It's nice you can play a female role, would be dramatically better if you could easily switch, which seems like an easy thing to do in this game.

I'm boycotting Nintendo until they release a reverse genders patch for this game.

I would have 0 problem if they made it so you could choose from the beginning how it worked but I also recognize that the game is about Captain Toad since he was a fan favourite. I don't think it's a big deal that he's the lead and Toadette joins him. Especially considering he was sort of cowardly and she refused to let go of the power star :p

i19wUmZsOpy4V.png

Monster Zero

And of course its the female who gets whisked away. Why? Gender roles. Unless like I've stated earlier you can flip what is happening. It's nice you can play a female role, would be dramatically better if you could easily switch, which seems like an easy thing to do in this game.

I'm arguing that her being a female has nothing to do with her bring whisked away. The name of the game is Captain toads adventure. Remember this title

qYUsbXS.jpg

Was this another case of gender roles. 2 main characters being whisked away and the female Dixie Kong having to go save them. You wanna figure how many people were in an uproar about that? Or did they just enjoy the game.

Foffy

Banned
I would have 0 problem if they made it so you could choose from the beginning how it worked but I also recognize that the game is about Captain Toad since he was a fan favourite. I don't think it's a big deal that he's the lead and Toadette joins him. Especially considering he was sort of cowardly and she refused to let go of the power star :p

What? He's not so much a "fan favorite" but the fact that they're making a game based off of a subgame where he was the only playable character.

If they're making a standalone game from a subgame where there was only a single playable character, I do not find out alarming that said character appears to be the main character. I see a lot of the complaints being made about that to be incredibly puzzling. The fact Toadette and the Toad Brigade are in the game seem like extras from that core premise, as none of them were in 3D World.

K-A-Deman

Geez, come for the screenshots, stay for the social commentary. Game looks gorgeous, We get to play as Best Toad, and the rest of the Toad Brigade are in on the action. The only thing missing is co-op, but that's hardly a deal breaker to me.

The yellow BG on the new box art is kinda...off though.

Zubz

Banned

I'm hoping; the stages in 3D World were short, but they're looking like they take a bit longer here. And they look to be of the same quality throughout the whole thing, too

I'm boycotting Nintendo until they release a reverse genders patch for this game.

I... can't tell if this is sarcasm? This argument's long-since gone out of hand, but there's obviously going to be a Toadette mode at least, and at this point in the game Captain Toad gets taken away. Every major point has been made on this matter, other than the fact that we haven't seen the whole game, so we don't even know if Toadette has to be rescued from some sort of bird fortress, or if she's unlocked immediately after the Wingo fight. For all we know, she may be the one on the offensive during the fight, seeing how Captain Toad's more a guile hero, anyway. Or maybe the game switches over to Toadette for an "Escape the Castle" level where she beats Wingo herself, and she uses him as a mount like Toad does with that Dragon, with the game cutting over to the 2 Toads reuniting on monster back to find one last treasure. Point is, we're freaking out over a brief clip from a cutesy puzzle game.

Yes, it's bad to have a female character kidnapped and rescued by a male in another Nintendo game again, after even Mario hasn't done it for a game or so. Would I rather have both Toad and Toadette jump on the star and follow Wingo to the fortress together? Of course; games need more strong female protagonists, rather than having them as being side-characters. The fact this one is for all-ages makes it even more important, because it can help keep kids from establishing gender roles at an early age. I mean, I was always bothered by the lack of female characters in games since I was a kid thanks to Samus being one of the first game protagonists I knew of.

But yes, it looks like Toadette's the one actually getting stuff done, only being taken away because she doesn't want some bird stealing the treasure. Hardly a "damsel in distress" so much as "actually fighting the boss rather than cowering in fear." Even if Captain Toad does a fortress raid, I highly doubt she's going to have stayed put the entire time; I'd expect a gag where the final level is 75 floors long... but Toad only needs to get through 5 before running into Toadette on her way out, star and other treasures in-tow, suggesting her adventure was just as trying as his, if not moreso. Which, again, is great, and also highly likely, seeing how the main impression I'm getting from this scene is "Toadette takes initiative, Captain Toad is a wuss."

Honestly, the thing to be most upset about regarding Toadette's portrayal is that we haven't had a solid confirmation of co-op mode, with one player using the TV and another using the Gamepad so there aren't problems with the camera.

What? He's not so much a "fan favorite" but the fact that they're making a game based off of a subgame where he was the only playable character.

If they're making a standalone game from a subgame where there was only a single playable character, I do not find out alarming that said character appears to be the main character. I see a lot of the complaints being made about that to be incredibly puzzling. The fact Toadette and the Toad Brigade are in the game seem like extras from that core premise, as none of them were in 3D World.

Captain Toad has been pretty hype since Galaxy. It's just that getting the levels in 3D World made him a lot more loved. I'm not complaining about Cappy being the main character though, I actually love it.

gotoadgo

There's been a few threads lately that have made me lose faith in this community, I'm adding this one to the list.

Anyway, I'm glad this game isn't too far off because as soon as I played the Captain Toad levels in 3D World I was hooked. Bayonetta 2 followed by Smash and then this right after means my PlayStation 4 won't see much action until Bloodborne.

Log4Girlz

I'm arguing that her being a female has nothing to do with her bring whisked away. The name of the game is Captain toads adventure. Remember this title

qYUsbXS.jpg

Was this another case of gender roles. 2 main characters being whisked away and the female Dixie Kong having to go save them. You wanna figure how many people were in an uproar about that? Or did they just enjoy the game.

1. If she saved them then they are not perpetuating a stereotype

2. Its been decades since this game

3. If Toad was being rescued, no problem, as again, that wouldn't be exploiting an old, tired, gender specific trope.

Shiggy

While we are at it:
1. The Mushroom Kingdom appear to be a monarchy where minorities (koopas, shyguys, goombas) get discriminated. When the next Mario game is out, will you fight for democracy and rule of law in the Mushroom Kingdom?
2. In Skyward Sword in the Skyloft, you could easily fall off from the island down in the sky. Supposedly nobody will survive such a fall. Should this game get a remake without proper fences around all dangerous areas, will you blame Nintendo? I mean, there are children living in Skyloft - it is a potential danger and the flying rescuers can't be everywhere.
3. The eye colour of Bowser is red. While this is great as Nintendo acknowledges of albinos, isn't it kind of problematic to make a feature of such a minority a feature of a big enemy? Is Nintendo discriminating again?

Think about it. I guess I'm going to boycott Nintendo titles in future if this dangerous trend continues.

rex

In that case, bring Mario 64-style Mario back!

What I find so interesting about this game is that Nintendo has apparently rediscovered Mario 64 stage layouts, maybe by complete accident.

tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o2_1280.png

tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o6_1280.png

I love the way the gameplay's looking too, or else it wouldn't matter, but I think a big part of why the gameplay works is how quickly the maps allow you to deviate between exploration off the beaten path and overcoming the obstacles on your main path. Getting to the star is obviously the meat of the gameplay, but you get your exploration too. And the exploration for additional gems also seems to be designed, so that you're not simply mindlessly picking up trinkets off the ground.

These relatively small, squarish, densely packed stages allow freedom while maintaining discipline in terms of creating interesting scenarios. The verticality eliminates the need to have everything spread out to the point where it becomes a chore to get from A to B. They're so elegant I can't believe no one's seized upon them besides Nintendo. If they want to move 3D Mario back in the open direction, this is the way to do it.

Log4Girlz

While we are at it:
1. The Mushroom Kingdom appear to be a monarchy where minorities (koopas, shyguys, goombas) get discriminated. When the next Mario game is out, will you fight for democracy and rule of law in the Mushroom Kingdom?
2. In Skyward Sword in the Skyloft, you could easily fall off from the island down in the sky. Supposedly nobody will survive such a fall. Should this game get a remake without proper fences around all dangerous areas, will you blame Nintendo? I mean, there are children living in Skyloft - it is a potential danger and the flying rescuers can't be everywhere.
3. The eye colour of Bowser is red. While this is great as Nintendo acknowledges of albinos, isn't it kind of problematic to make a feature of such a minority a feature of a big enemy? Is Nintendo discriminating again?

Think about it. I guess I'm going to boycott Nintendo titles in future if this dangerous trend continues.

Which totally supports why girls should almost always be portrayed as needing help from male characters. I'm glad you clarified that for everyone. Any other attempt at portraying things in another light truly is unreasonable.

Shiggy

Which totally supports why girls should almost always be portrayed as needing help from male characters. I'm glad you clarified that for everyone. Any other attempt at portraying things in another light truly is unreasonable.

Just trying to find other stupid/ridiculous points to make about games.

While we are at it:

I mean you count one count them all. Thats the way I see it. Otherwise its selfish.

Shiggy

You speak for yourself, I guess.

Then again, I believe I'm living in a society that takes great care of gender equality. So all of this feminism bullshit is pretty ridiculous to me. It seems like a few people can't accept that males and females actually are not the same. But that's another discussion and putting that into relation with Captain Toad is, well,...you know.

I mean you count one count them all. Thats the way I see it. Otherwise its selfish.

I can already see the reviews for Captain Toad incoming:
"The game does not allow you to play as a red-haired, black, transsexual (whose working in a kindergarten) - 4/10"
"Coming from a Japanese company, Captain Toad features a whole portfolio of racism. As all characters show resemblance of Caucasians and none look similar to Japanese or Black people, it appears as if Nintendo wants to send out a message: White people only care about money, symbolised by a golden star - 2/10"

javac

For what it's worth, Toad doesn't seem to be there to save anyone, the guy/thing looks terrified and is probably shitting himself at every corner. I bet he's glad she's there in order to help him get out of this 3D puzzle hell that he's been sent to for all of his sins he's committed. She only got caught because she let her guard down while getting dat shine since Toad was too much of a wimp to get it himself. I bet she's already beat the shit out of that stupid bird and is trying to find Toad. Don't underestimate Toadette, she wares the mushroom in this game!

vulva

Watch the game come out and Toadette already took care of herself and she runs in to Captain Toad as she's leaving the castle or lair or whatever other evil place she's being held at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom