• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Castlevania DS in developed

Cheerilee

grandjedi6 said:
The way it is worded on the GI page it sounds like either GI doens't know and are speculating (which probably means 3d anyways :/) or the game isn't far into development and IGA doens't even know yet
The exact quote...
Game Informer said:
Also, whether it will be 3D, much like the last few PS2 titles, is also undermined at this time. It looks like Igarashi-san may want to try his hand at finally making a 2D version of Castlevania.
I don't think Billy Berghammer would specualte like that if he simply wasn't given an answer. I think IGA's still waiting on the results from his PSP experiment, and if DXC does well, the next-gen game will be 2.5D. If it bombs, it'll be another one of his generic 3D attempts.

I'm not holding out hope for 2D visuals.

_dementia said:

I agree only halfway with your chuckles. DoS was better than SotN if you ask me.

Personally though, I want an old-school Castlevania along the lines of the best of the pre-SotN titles (see: Rondo of Blood, Dracula's Curse/Akumajou Densersu, Super Castlevania IV).

Piper Az

drop the anime style and bring back kojima. PoR was one of the worst Castlevanias I've played...DoS - the non-Soma mode was awesome.

castle007

Banned
ruby_onix said:
More news from GC07.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200708/N07.0822.1739.39180.htm

- The DS Castlevania is all-new and not a remake like Dracula X Chronicles (which I guess also rules out a Zero Mission-style CV2 remake), and is already "well into" development (which isn't surprising, since DXC was made by a different team).

- After the DS Castlevania, the next game is a next-gen XBox360 Castlevania, with maybe a PS3 port tossed in if PS3 sales get better. Whether or not that means it's 3D is "undetermined."

- Dracula X Chronicles is getting playable Maria in SotN, but not the playable Maria from the Saturn version (which he hates). He's making an all-new Maria that plays differently.

*faints

this is so awesome

TreIII

360 CV?

Hmm...if it's just going to be another 3D disappointment like Lament or Curse...count me out. I don't care if it turns out to be the 1999 game or not, I won't get burned again by another pathetic attempt at 3D CV.

Ah, well...maybe they'll show something about DS CV some time soon enough.

Victrix

*beard*
friendly happy light anime art makes me want to die, and I'm tired of the formula

unfortunately his 3d attempts have been less than spectacular, and I'm assuming the sales reflected that

stuck in sotn clone purgatory :(

PoR was definitely not as bad as some of you nitwits claim it was. It was a solid Metroidvania title–and therein lies its problem. It's just a bit too similar.

Soul4ger

Well, this thread makes me happy. New DS CV? New 360 CV (I loved both PS2 games...)? And we get a fucking ROCKIN' Castlevania for PSP in October. WOOOOO.

If it's another 3D Vania in like Lament and Curse, meh. Lament wasn't horrible, wasn't great either though. Curse how ever was awful.

Curse of Darkness had an amazing soundtrack at least.
Plus it had some guy with a monocle who controlled time. Great stuff.

Still weird that it would be hitting 360 first(which I seriously doubt but eh..Curse was multiplatform afterall)

They'll probably all suck but I'll buy them anyway because I'm a slut for phat loot. Hopefully the next Castlevania has a chainsaw. I was playing PSO the other day and I found a Chainsawd..which is badass. It's like those weapons the clown used in Dead Rising. Put one of those in the next Castlevania please.

I could wish for an actual good Castlevania game but why waste the effort? Better just to ask for random stuff that might actually have a chance of making it in.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is freaking awesome.

I got DoS for $4.99 with the 10 dollar sale and a 5-buck coupon, and it's probably the best play time vs. money spent on any game I've actually paid for. Awesome music, stage design, graphics, and control--it feels as tight as any mario game I've ever played.

I'll jump on PoR if I can get it at a similar price. Obviously, I haven't played it yet but if it follows the formula of DoS, I'll be pleased. I'd like to see some different locales and new enemies, but why fix what isn't broken?

Oh yeah. More weapons.

ethelred

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Curse of Darkness had an amazing soundtrack at least.

Yup. Probably my favorite in the series, right above Symphony of the Night and Portrait of Ruin. When Yamane is in her zone, she's unstoppable.

Victrix said:
friendly happy light anime art makes me want to die, and I'm tired of the formula

unfortunately his 3d attempts have been less than spectacular, and I'm assuming the sales reflected that

stuck in sotn clone purgatory :(

The only real clone was Harmony of Dissonance.

Docpan

Meh, this series has been done to death. I play all of them because it's Castlevania, but none of them have been classic for over 10 years now. I'm still waiting for a fresh take on the series by a development team that's not KCET.

jiji said:
Yeah. The others were clones of clones.

Hardly. They differentiated themselves in various ways.

In a perfect world, Konami/IGA would make new old-school Castlevania games, and Nintendo would make new 2d Metroid games as well as new Zelda II-esque games in addition to whatever they've been doing.

castle007 said:
yep, Harmony tried to imitate SOTN way too much.

Yep, right down to the often too vast castle designs to the alternate castle. Tearing down the excess in that department helped Aria of Sorrow, and subsequently Dawn of Sorrow, to no small effect.

Teddman

...AWESOME FORWARD DASH!!!

Whatever Harmony of Dissonance's shortcomings, I loved speeding through game with forward/backwards dash, pausing just at the right moment to whip hell out of a bugger and continue dashing on my way. It's the only game to have forward dash and for that it's a worthy & unique entry in the series.

I really missed it for awhile when I played other Castlevania titles after that, though I like both the old school "deliberate" style of walking and the faster movement of the new entries in the series.

Chemo

cartman414 said:
In a perfect world, Konami/IGA would make new old-school Castlevania games...
In a perfect world, IGA would have nothing to do with the series. I truly cannot think of a more prominent game designer who makes less effort than IGA, yet people still can't get enough of him. WTF. Laziest developer ever.

This is cool and somewhat suprising news. I thought IGA said after PoR came out that he was done making Castlevania on the DS.

Hopefully he keeps Metroidvania, but finds a way to spice it up. A lot.

Teddman

IGA is OK, the games are still pretty good. Just not quite as good as the non-IGA games.

I still hold that the best handheld Castlevania was Circle of the Moon, made by the now-defunct KCET team at Konami. And the upcoming Drac X remake ROCKS (also without IGA involvement?).

I hope the plot is more than "Julius vs. Dracula".

I want some new characters, a different magic system (basically, based on DoS mode), and I want it to start out BEFORE the war, and then lead into it.

And make it really hard.

sphinx

the piano man
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The 360 game really, really needs to be a 720/1080p 2D game. They owe us for the SOTN borders.

if it's a 2d game, then it's on XBLA.

My guess is something new and fresh, in 2.5d or something but certainly not a game that could be made on DS/PSP minus the HD.

Chemo said:
In a perfect world, IGA would have nothing to do with the series. I truly cannot think of a more prominent game designer who makes less effort than IGA, yet people still can't get enough of him. WTF. Laziest developer ever.

In terms of making HoD SotN-lite and having yet to really succeed at something non-Metroidvania, I would agree. He does get a little too much hate sometimes though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm interested to know how many people worked on Dracula X Chronicles. And a 360 project....even though I know I shouldn't be, I'm strangely excited.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
This doesn't deserve its own thread, so...

Castlevania: Order of Shadows for cell phones

Developed in colaboration with series producer Koji Igarashi, Castlevania: Order of Shadows is the newest entry into the Castlevania series. The game will be similar to the series’ “Metroidvania” iterations in that it will feature spells, skills, and a leveling system. It will also employ unlockable difficulty settings and a number of different weapons.

Order of Shadows will be released on all major carriers on September 18. An online demo is, however, available now. Check out some screenshots below the cut…

Demo is here: http://www.konamimobile.com/gamedetail.aspx?rkw=castle

And I put some screens up on my site here: http://www.rpgland.com/content/?p=1064

I played the demo, and it seems like it's actually gonna be pretty neat for a cell phone game. Not the most complicated game in the world (only like a dozen or so unique enemies in the game), but the demo still felt fun.

castle007

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
This doesn't deserve its own thread, so...

Castlevania: Order of Shadows for cell phones

Demo is here: http://www.konamimobile.com/gamedetail.aspx?rkw=castle

And I put some screens up on my site here: http://www.rpgland.com/content/?p=1064

I played the demo, and it seems like it's actually gonna be pretty neat for a cell phone game. Not the most complicated game in the world (only like a dozen or so unique enemies in the game), but the demo still felt fun.

:O

this is different from the Aria of Sorrow cellphone game

Ranger X

- Dracula X Chronicles is getting playable Maria in SotN, but not the playable Maria from the Saturn version (which he hates). He's making an all-new Maria that plays differently.

Holy fuck. I'm gonna discover SOTN again. This is so great!!

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:
IGA is OK, the games are still pretty good. Just not quite as good as the non-IGA games.

I still hold that the best handheld Castlevania was Circle of the Moon, made by the now-defunct KCET team at Konami. And the upcoming Drac X remake ROCKS (also without IGA involvement?).
It was the KCEK team, which got folded into KCET as it was wrapping up. KCET was behind Dracula X, SotN, Chronicles and all the other GBA games.

USD

Looking forward to more. I just hope do some serious stuff with the formula and put less emphasis on grinding (they did ease up the problem a bit in PoR). They've obviously been playing with the formula with each game, but I'm hoping for something truly refreshing.

Top Bottom