• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

The game better have Brad Wong. Drunken fighting is best style.
I'd expect all the non-guest characters from DOA4 to be back, with the possible exception of Gen-Fu, Ein, and Leon.

Visuals are amazing, but there is AA/resolution problem as I expected. I don't know its sub-native resolution or not, but there is definitely very weak AA. But this might be because I have been playing SC5 recently, which has fantastic AA.
So true. I really hope this is fixed in the final version, because DOA5 would be the best looking fighter ever.

fernoca

Hope Jann Lee makes the cut, as detailed as the characters so far.

Speedo-wearing Jann Lee debut too please!! :p

DR2K

Banned
probably because of Soul Calibur 5

Nah Team Ninja isn't going to replace the females, make a few guys with grey hair, cut some integral characters, copy and paste abailities on a model swap, and lock a character away as preorder DLC(please don't). The whole point of this new art style is to breathe life into the cast.

raven777

Anyone good with resolution info know if DOA5 demo is native resolution or not?

Maybe some professional site will test it out soon.

NinjaJesus

Sorry if this has been answered, but will the demo be releasing for everyone anytime soon? I could have swore I read somewhere it was being released on XBL and PSN shortly after NG3 came out.

Sorry if this has been answered, but will the demo be releasing for everyone anytime soon? I could have swore I read somewhere it was being released on XBL and PSN shortly after NG3 came out.

i though that info was just saying *when* it would be available, not that it would be available for everyone.

you know like how the halo demo in crackdown took months to be available, etc...

Skilletor

Who knows what this team ninja will do, but they didn't even take out ein when they had both character (hitomi) and story (he got his memory back and became hayate) reasons to do so.

I think everybody comes back. Hoping they make Shiden a unique character. Also, add TKD, TN. Please ?

benzy

"Is this approach being adopted to appeal to a broader audience than the genre generally attracts?

Yosuke Hayashi: Yes, that's true...that's one thing. Some fighting games are very hardcore, which we have in here. We're not ignoring our hardcore audience; they will still get the same experience they've gotten in the past. We have the deep fighting game systems, but we also wanted to make it so the more casual crowd could also have fun with the game."

- http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...ith-yosuke-hayashi-future-of-dead-or-alive-5/

The DOA games have always been casual friendly, what is he talking about? And this sounds all to familiar..

YH: We want as many people as possible to play Ninja Gaiden 3, so we want to deliver the challenge to the core fans but also deliver something to people who maybe haven’t played a lot of action games or aren’t used to Ninja Gaiden. And it’s not just about having a bunch of difficultly ranks; we’re going to do something different that we hope will bring more people into the fold. It’s like two different entrances into the same content—two different ways in.

Skilletor

Yeah,I noticed the jaggies. It definitely looks like separate character mmodels during intro and win poses, as well as the powerblows.

Game still looks amazing, though.

Yeah,I noticed the jaggies. It definitely looks like separate character mmodels during intro and win poses, as well as the powerblows.

Game still looks amazing, though.

I think the character models are the same during intros and winposes, only the intros and winposes are 30 fps, with way more AA and subtle effects like DOF applied to make it look significantly better than the 60 fps fighting

benzy

If it's the same engine as the NG3, then the jaggies aren't a surprise. NG3 is jaggy as shit. Hopefully by September they'll be able to implement some AA.

It's going to take me 88 minutes to download this demo on psn. :(

Did anyone notice that the demo runs at lower resolution?, specially the characters, for comparision sake after playing this demo I tried DOA4 demo and there is a huge difference in resolution, not only in characters but in the stages too.

raven777

Did anyone notice that the demo runs at lower resolution?, specially the characters, for comparision sake after playing this demo I tried DOA4 demo and there is a huge difference in resolution, not only in characters but in the stages too.

yea thats why I mentioned it above. Its really different compared to intro/win pose/power blow zoom in.

Also, I felt the frame was bad on intro, but it really doesn't matter.

NinjaJesus

i though that info was just saying *when* it would be available, not that it would be available for everyone.

you know like how the halo demo in crackdown took months to be available, etc...

Yeah, I guess so. Well shit...I just called GameStop and they're being fickle bitches about letting me reserve something and get it.

TreIII

Played a lot of games at Xanadu tonight with Mr.Wah, which was a good thing, cuz my code's not working at the moment, any way!

Anyway, I could see a lot of potential for this game. But he and I both agree that making Hayabusa into basically more of a grappler (thanks to his new air throw) and yet, keeping his strikes as good as they always are is definitely a questionable decision. :lol

Still, like what I'm seeing so far. And judging from the largely positive reception of others at Xanadu who came by to watch or ask for a turn, it seems like the interest from the FGC, as a whole, is there...

yea thats why I mentioned it above. Its really different compared to intro/win pose/power blow zoom in.

Also, I felt the frame was bad on intro, but it really doesn't matter.

After playing the demo I went back to DOA4 to have a better feeling of the changes made in DOA5, and they are like night and day, DOA4 it frikin feels like you are playing in a expensive PC, it looks so clean, vivid and sharp, it's just amazing how it looks after 6 year.

Back to DOA5, the combat feels amazing, I don't know what it is, but it's just awesome. I think I'm going to play this demo more than NG3, what a shitty game.

raven777

love Ayane's visual in DOA5.

0DSC04722_filtered.jpg

0DSC04738_filtered.jpg

0DSC04767_filtered.jpg

0DSC04765_filtered.jpg

This whole cinematic approach seems dumb to be. Sure it looks cool the first time but it'll annoy you after you've seen it a couple of times (X-ray anyone?).

Skilletor

This whole cinematic approach seems dumb to be. Sure it looks cool the first time but it'll annoy you after you've seen it a couple of times (X-ray anyone?).

It's no different than supers, x-rays, ultras, whatever. It's the only cinematic thing in the game and it's really not a big deal. I don't get why people are complaining about it.

TreIII

It's no different than supers, x-rays, ultras, whatever. It's the only cinematic thing in the game and it's really not a big deal. I don't get why people are complaining about it.

Pretty much. It doesn't even last that long, and it's not something you can seriously expect to spam all day and expect to win.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Can't you turn it off anyway?

So if I call Tecmo and say I'm having problems they'll instantly give me a code.

...tempted, but I'm not that dishonest. :')

I totally am and am now a bit sad about buying the NG3 CE :\ oh well, i've been good about not buying too much this year, so i deserved a reward.

plus, it's a good demo. I can't help but feel that I wish it were a "prologue" demo with more content and some basic online play though. It's not like I have a ton of DOA competition here to really play the game with, but I think i'll bring my system out to some locals and try to get some people to try it out.

yeah, those charge supers do not come off immediately as viable moves in a game as fast as this. The CPU literally stops and waits for it to come out...a real player will use that huuuuuge charge time to set up a combo or just throw you out of it.

Skilletor

Can't you turn it off anyway?

You can turn danger modes off, but I don't know what that will do. Haven't tried it. I don't think that affects powerblows.

Powerblows are really great, strategically. You can use them to bait counters, you can cancel them. You can aim where you want your opponent to go. Apparently the animation of a person falling off a roof (which has been in DoA since 2, don't see why anybody cares about this...I've fallen through church steeples and down the great wall of china) can be countered. The attacker has two options there, each with its own animation, of attack or throw. If the defender chooses the right one, I guess it's countered. I haven't seen this myself.

So I can see in actual matches people just going for the guaranteed damage against a wall or something.

But if people are worried about spamming powerblows...well, they're slow, they can be attacked and thrown, they can be countered (all of them in the demo are mid punch). It'll be a tool for the person on offense to bait a counter. People who just counter the moment they're put into stun are going to hate this game, lolololol.

love Ayane's visual in DOA5.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/0DSC04722_filtered.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/0DSC04738_filtered.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/0DSC04767_filtered.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/0DSC04765_filtered.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

So lovely, <3

TreIII

Powerblows are really great, strategically. You can use them to bait counters, you can cancel them. You can aim where you want your opponent to go.

Don't forget, a fully charged PB against a blocking opponent is a free guard crush, which is a nice thing in itself!

Apparently the animation of a person falling off a roof (which has been in DoA since 2, don't see why anybody cares about this...I've fallen through church steeples and down the great wall of china) can be countered. The attacker has two options there, each with its own animation, of attack or throw. If the defender chooses the right one, I guess it's countered. I haven't seen this myself.

What actually happens here, is that if the defender chooses right, nobody takes any damage as they transfer down to the next part of the stage. So the best that the receiver can hope to accomplish is not taking any more damage.

In any case, at this point in time, it's always worth doing the Cliffhanger event. Even if you, as the one falling, guess wrong? You'll still end up getting less damage than if you just let yourself fall, apparently. :lol

Or at least, that's what can apply to the stage that we know now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, turning of Danger Zones just puts you in a box with no other "Action" events happening. Good if you want just want a flat area to play/train in, I guess.

Skilletor

Don't forget, a fully charged PB against a blocking opponent is a free guard crush, which is a nice thing in itself!

What actually happens here, is that if the defender chooses right, nobody takes any damage as they transfer down to the next part of the stage. So the best that the receiver can hope to accomplish is not taking any more damage.

In any case, at this point in time, it's always worth doing the Cliffhanger event. Even if you, as the one falling, guess wrong? You'll still end up getting less damage than if you just let yourself fall, apparently. :lol

Or at least, that's what can apply to the stage that we know now.

I've let myself fall a few times. It does almost 50% life, lol.

raven777

You can turn danger modes off, but I don't know what that will do. Haven't tried it. I don't think that affects powerblows.

turning off danger zone just means there is no more danger zone. So the stage stays constant , no falling or stage doesn't lean. There still is powerblow.

Top Bottom