• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details and screenshots from mecha SRPG Relayer demo and talk show event

JohannCK

A demo and talk show event was held in Akihabara on 18th December 2021, with a demo available to the general public for the first time, and Kadokawa Games president and Relayer director and producer Yasuda Yoshimi, and voice actresses Akesaka Satomi and Honda Mariko giving out details about the game and its story, characters and gameplay in a talk show.

I was invited to the event and wrote an article covering it, full details in the link:

Last edited:

ranmafan

Great article! I really wanted to go to this event, but sadly couldn’t make the time to head into Tokyo for it. Can’t wait to get to play it in February.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm sooooo hype for this game!!!

Can’t wait to get to play it in February.
I wish this was release date for west as well, we were originally promised simultaneous release but after the delay we don't know that's still the case.

ranmafan

I'm sooooo hype for this game!!!

I wish this was release date for west as well, we were originally promised simultaneous release but after the delay we don't know that's still the case.
Yeah I wonder what is up with that since the game is releasing with all the languages on it at launch apparently in Japan. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long for those in the west.

my hype for the game is through the roof. My most anticipated game for next year. Kadokawa hasn’t disappointed me yet with a strategy game and this one is looking like it’s their best one yet!

JohannCK

How similar is this to front mission? (The good ones).
It's really its own thing. I've seen shallow comparisons to Super Robot Wars which are completely off the mark. If I really had to compare it to something I'd go with Fire Emblem.

Yeah I wonder what is up with that since the game is releasing with all the languages on it at launch apparently in Japan. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long for those in the west.
Yasuda's reply to Japanese questions about when a demo is coming was to say that they're focusing on being able to announce the international release date first.

I really, really wouldn't worry too much about the international release.

Danjin44

steve-harvey-thank-you-jesus.gif

ranmafan

While I’m happy that everyone can play it at the same time, damn it that sucks it’s delayed. Was so looking forward to playing it in February. I guess the good news is that now that gives me time to focus on elden ring. Still another huge dissapointment that 2021 brings me. Hoping it’s the last one too.

ranmafan

That’s good thing since……
tumblr_ob1kyxbhgb1u7un4fo1_500.gif

Now all of us can enjoy it same day without my jealousy taking over.
Yeah in the end it’s all good. Everyone gets to enjoy it at once. Also now it’s coming out during my spring vacation from work so I can focus on it fully.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Kadokawa wanted to move the game away from elden ring and triangle strategy releases. Dang that month is going to be crazy.

Danjin44

Yeah in the end it’s all good. Everyone gets to enjoy it at once. Also now it’s coming out during my spring vacation from work so I can focus on it fully.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Kadokawa wanted to move the game away from elden ring and triangle strategy releases. Dang that month is going to be crazy.
Man, 2022 is good year for Tactical games and SRPGs.

Relayer
Triangle Strategy
Advance War 1+2
Mario + Rabbits 2

Fbh

Man, I don't like to be a downer, and I actually want there to be more mech games, but the gameplay looks kinda bland.
All the maps seem to be boring flat grids with zero variety or level design and I can see those lenghty attack animations getting really old after a while.

This seems like those SD gundam games, just with nicer attack animations. And I've never been able to get into those despite really liking Gundam.

Danjin44

Man, I don't like to be a downer, and I actually want there to be more mech games, but the gameplay looks kinda bland.
All the maps seem to be boring flat grids with zero variety or level design and I can see those lenghty attack animations getting really old after a while.

This seems like those SD gundam games, just with nicer attack animations. And I've never been able to get into those despite really liking Gundam.
I personally excited for this game exactly because its SRPG instead of action game and hugely craving for Mecha SRPG.

JohannCK

The ice planet stuff shown at the demo event is taken from a "simulator" mission (side content for grinding), not a real stage. I don't think they've actually shown any real stages aside from the one with Luna from the one early December stream, the TGS demo was a special stage made just for the event too.

The maps are gonna be mostly flat just like fire emblem. If you’re looking for tactics games with more verticality this probably isnt the game for you

Fbh

The ice planet stuff shown at the demo event is taken from a "simulator" mission (side content for grinding), not a real stage. I don't think they've actually shown any real stages aside from the one with Luna from the one early December stream, the TGS demo was a special stage made just for the event too.

Well hopefully the actual main stages are more interesting but even the glimpses of other stages seen in the trailers all look similar.

The maps are gonna be mostly flat just like fire emblem. If you’re looking for tactics games with more verticality this probably isnt the game for you

I don't necessarily need verticality but rather more in the form of structures and level design:

7cb59fa1a133002b58565bcebdcd16fc0f9e623d_00.jpg

m9DI_Hzzw2r9RwOLd-Oe4Juu5Qj9pRUdKGB0CvXcOAw.jpg

Notice how there's walls and paths, and bridges, etc.
It gives the game more variety and keeps missions more interesting. Sometimes you'll fight through a castle, or you'll be holding down a fort, or you'll be trying to sneak in somewhere with a small group using the level to avoid enemies, or there'll be a big encounter on a bridge, etc.

This game, from what they have shown, looks more like the SD gundam games which are usually like this:
wvSvz0Wo25X2Nse6b1bq8bSN-mm58DtiYyquptZYr6fjSxqWobG1w9lpwUvTvj1d0pihX1J4QPiXP0M85quXzbdvIuA54PDTcrn6upiVmoWYEHBZ3WauFiFfMmZL6aW6WVgxuJN92knJSS5QOg

Just one big flat field

JohannCK

Well hopefully the actual main stages are more interesting but even the glimpses of other stages seen in the trailers all look similar.

I don't necessarily need verticality but rather more in the form of structures and level design:

It gives the game more variety and keeps missions more interesting. Sometimes you'll fight through a castle, or you'll be holding down a fort, or you'll be trying to sneak in somewhere with a small group using the level to avoid enemies, or there'll be a big encounter on a bridge, etc.

This game, from what they have shown, looks more like the SD gundam games which are usually like this:
wvSvz0Wo25X2Nse6b1bq8bSN-mm58DtiYyquptZYr6fjSxqWobG1w9lpwUvTvj1d0pihX1J4QPiXP0M85quXzbdvIuA54PDTcrn6upiVmoWYEHBZ3WauFiFfMmZL6aW6WVgxuJN92knJSS5QOg

Just one big flat field
Well, one of the strengths of the Support-type mecha is their Bit weapons being able to bypass obstructions in terrain that block movement and other ranged weapons, which would not be a thing if the maps were all big flat fields.

Last edited:

ranmafan

This might answer questions you might have about the difficulty and game/stage design

Great interview, lots of good info. I noticed he slightly mentioned God Wars 2 in talking about how Relayer’s development started. I really wonder if they are still working on the game. I was at the event where they announced it and was looking forward to it as well.

JohannCK

Just one big flat field
From the interview:
58ZfoGF.jpg

Top Bottom