• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Diablo 3 Trailer: Follower System

I'm SO in.

The only thing that really scares me is the framerate, there were some drops in that trailer, hopefully for bad editing. We'll see..

Mik2121

So.. I'm the only one who liked the music, huh...? :(

It reminded me of some Ragnarok Online music or the SSBBrawl online waiting room music.

Cipherr

maniac-kun said:

Holy fuck yes. That is my class right there. That is every bit Diablo man, fuck yeah. I really wish though that they had pushed visually alot harder than they did. Foliage, physics, lighting etc. Its painfully obvious that when this launches you aren't going to need much to max it out Assuming it scales even moderately with tons of people on screen.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
None of that looked very fun to me... Maybe I'm getting over the genre but I'd think DIII would be the one to rejuvenate the appeal.

Can you at least make a class with a spear and shield like that follower has?

John_B

The follower AI seems much improved compared to the mercenary AI in Diablo 2.

Blizzard has only shown low level gameplay so far, and it looks very playable. Diablo 2 was shit at low level and just not any fun unless you twinked your character.

The low level stuff also looks really good. The spells are simple, but still look very cool. The armors and weapons are really beyond the usual low level shit in most RPGs (plain shirt, trousers and a wooden sword). If the visual scales properly, then the high level stuff will look like pure destruction.

Maximus.

this game just keeps on looking more amazing everytime I see another video. Can't wait for it to be released!! Please release it this year Blizzard!!

Tacitus_

I wonder where the haters will move the goalposts after seeing the Wizard / Demon Hunter gameplay.

Blizzard stated multiple times that the art style would get progressively darker during the game and look! It does.

jersoc

Cipherr said:
Holy fuck yes. That is my class right there. That is every bit Diablo man, fuck yeah. I really wish though that they had pushed visually alot harder than they did. Foliage, physics, lighting etc. Its painfully obvious that when this launches you aren't going to need much to max it out Assuming it scales even moderately with tons of people on screen.

I played that class quite a bit at Blizzcon. it was very fun. there were like 2 of us and we would just destroy groups of mobs. and you dont really want the guys to get close, heh.

The game is gorgeous in motion and in person. don't worry.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Tacitus_ said:
I wonder where the haters will move the goalposts after seeing the Wizard / Demon Hunter gameplay.

One day, maybe after racism, povery, injustice and the like is but a memory, having a criticizing opinion about entertainment media on gaf won't be met with being called " hater "

"I don't like aspect X of game Y because of Z " is an opinion and shouldn't be labeled as "hating". If everybody on gaf loved everything what's the frigging point of even comin to this discussion board?

Tacitus_

Corky said:
One day, maybe after racism, povery, injustice and the like is but a memory, having a criticizing opinion about entertainment media on gaf won't be met with being called " hater "

"I don't like aspect X of game Y because of Z " is an opinion and shouldn't be labeled as "hating". If everybody on gaf loved everything what's the frigging point of even comin to this discussion board?

Nothing wrong with opinions. I was referring to those posters who come in every D3 thread saying the game is a WoW clone, the art style sucks, the game is too bright, the game is all puppies and rainbows, etc etc.

Althoran

I liked the tone from the Wizard and Demon Hunter gameplay but the gameplay Blizzard shows is way too light.
They should show the more dark toned gameplay and not rainbows and unicorns gameplay all the time

Tacitus_

Althoran said:
I liked the tone from the Wizard and Demon Hunter gameplay but the gameplay Blizzard shows is way too light.
They should show the more dark toned gameplay and not rainbows and unicorns gameplay all the time

Agreed. Their video releases are really odd.

Corky

Tacitus_ said:
Nothing wrong with opinions. I was referring to those posters who come in every D3 thread saying the game is a WoW clone, the art style sucks, the game is too bright, the game is all puppies and rainbows, etc etc.

Nor was I only referring to you.

Diablo 3 is a WoW clone = factually wrong statement ( nobody is saying this btw )
Diablo 3 reminds me of the visual style of WoW viewed in an isometric view = opinion

The art style sucks = hey another opinion, some people might like the artstyle of minecraft over crysis, good for them.

The game is too bright = another totally valid opinion
The game is all puppies and rainbows = just some kneejerk facetious defence from people who can't handle criticism with regards to something they like.

But yea nothing wrong with opinions.

I for one think (hope), despite the horrible screenshots of late, that in the end D3 will look good

Tacitus_

Corky said:
The game is too bright = another totally valid opinion

Ah, but Blizzard stated that the game will begin "bright" and get progressively darker. With the Wizard & Demon Hunter gameplay vids we can see these darker areas.

Truant

Looks more like a Diablo clone in a post WoW world, than what I would have imagined Diablo 3 to look like.

Still great in terms of art direction and style, just not very Diablo-y.

ShinNL

I like the re-emphasize that you know your argument is weak when you have to create straw man arguments like "posters who come in every D3 thread saying the game is a WoW clone".

I agree with Corky 100%.

Tacitus_

Soneet said:
I like the re-emphasize that you know your argument is weak when you have to create straw man arguments like "posters who come in every D3 thread saying the game is a WoW clone".

I agree with Corky 100%.

Just the first page of this thread:

cw_sasuke said:
So weird.... i loved the first two titles and been hyped for D3 since it revelation, but seeing this video, i realized how generic it looks and feels.... whats wrong with me. Are they using a modified WoW Engine ?

Xyphie said:
Looks like they aren't just reusing item set art in WoW, now the Templar uses Valor as well!

maniac-kun said:
The templar looks like a Warcraft town guard.

rezuth said:
Looks ripped straight out of WoW

Tacitus_

Soneet said:
They're all talking about the artstyle.

It's like you go super-defense mode the moment you read "WoW".

As was I. Maybe I didn't say it clear enough, but I thought it obvious when all my previous points were about the graphics/art.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Sn4ke_911 said:

Good read. Cleared up a lot of tings I wanted to know about the followers. Sad that they can't be programmed, but I guess it's ok if you can control them a little bit by choosing skills and weapons. And, hey, I was right about them following you around, even if I said it as a joke ^^. I guess the name "follower" fits them perfectly after all.

J-Rod

I wish I could be a Paladin. I wonder which class if any will have support/buff abilities. Wizard? Witch doctor seems like he can buff his pets and perhaps debuff enemies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Those videos look somewhat better, but certain details (2D branches in particular) are going to look really, really out of place without YouTube's blurry compression.

V_Arnold

Zeliard said:
Titan Quest is a fine-looking game.

It is too steril, and lacks the Blizzard magic. It is still good-looking though, but it already ages worse than, say, WoW. Not like they are comparable anyway, but still.

Tacitus_ said:
Just the first page of this thread:
Just compare the art style:

swcg2.jpg

This is a guard in Stormwind

+ some tierset paladin look and you get the Templar.

paladin.jpg

T4 Paladin

templary7e1.jpg

templar2z7xe.jpg

Templar

DryvBy

Of all the new releases I've seen, I actually don't think I'd mind paying full price for an unfinished product in Diablo's case. Because I need this yesterday!

Corky

maniac-kun said:
Just compare the art style:

http://wowrpc.waddellconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/images/swcg2.jpg[/img
+ some tierset paladin look and you get the Templar.[/QUOTE]

Are they using "the wow-engine" ( whatever it's called ) for D3? Isn't the WoW engine a modified Wc3 engine?

I need to play this game now. Best part of D2 was decking your follower out with good gear making them insanely strong. I'm starting to get an itch to play the game again.

Corky

Baiano19 said:
ok, the music got me...

Damn you Diablo! :(

Yeap that's the kind of clip I'd like to see, none of this let the bodies hit the floor zoomzoomzoom pseudo highlight reel please.

That clip is great.

Top Bottom