• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Ball Super will likely begin airing in Japan on July 5th, exactly one week after the Kai ends.
They have just 2 months to hype this shit up. Get ready folks, shit's about to get real.

Been rewatching Z and my opinions of Cell remain the same. Worst of all the villains. He was cool in his imperfect form, but I just found him completely boring in his perfect form.

-No original moves
-Weak in power (A 1/2 dead one armed SSJ 2 Gohan evaporated him) lol at people saying he can beat Brolly. Keep dreaming
-Cell Games? Really? Fat Buu just demolishes cities because he feels like it and Frieza did what he wanted. Those two villains actually got shit done. I never felt that Cell was a threat.

Skii

Been rewatching Z and my opinions of Cell remain the same. Worst of all the villains. He was cool in his imperfect form, but I just found him completely boring in his perfect form.

-No original moves
-Weak in power (A 1/2 dead one armed SSJ 2 Gohan evaporated him) lol at people saying he can beat Brolly. Keep dreaming
-Cell Games? Really? Fat Buu just demolishes cities because he feels like it and Frieza did what he wanted. Those two villains actually got shit done. I never felt that Cell was a threat.

You completely missed the point of Cell.

Him having no original moves is what makes him interesting. He is an amalgamation of all the greatest warriors up until that point.

How he is weak in power? He's the only one to completely destroy the main protagonist.

He was designed to be the perfect warrior. Him creating the Cell games is completely in-character. He wants to see if anyone can challenge his claim to the perfect warrior. Frieza was interested in taking over stuff and Buu was only interested in destroying stuff. I don't see how you can criticise any of the 3 major villains for having different motives. That's what makes good character design.

Finally, when Cell is about to lose, he decides to blow himself up which would've destroyed the entire Earth...

-No original moves

Unlike Buu / Frieza Cell was born via the cells of the fighters. So he had Vegeta's arrogance and Goku's lust for battle.

Him wanting a tournament to prove he is the best isn't shocking. It is what Goku would likely do if he was evil and wanted to kill off any legitimate threats before blowing the planet up, which Cell would of done if he would of won.

Dunno about Broly though. Who knows. Cell is not weak in power though, where do you get that? SSJ2 ANNIHILATES even SSJ Ascended, the difference in power is extraordinary. So much so that Gohan really isn't even threatened by Cell whatsoever. But, Cell is able to regenerate himself even from a single Cell so even if he blows himself up he will eventually heal.

The only thing i didn't like about the Cell fight was when Cell came back much more powerful and presumably a match for SSJ2, Gohan gets hurt right away helping someone out. I would of liked to see them 2 go toe to toe for awhile before the climax.

NeonZ

Cell really has no army to resurrect him like Freeza did so there's no way he's coming back outside of some movie 12 or GT shenanigans.

Not Cell proper, but they easily could pull a Piccolo Jr. with one of the Cell Jrs. They were just torn apart by Gohan's kicks and punches in the manga, there was no cloud of smoke after Gohan beat them. So, they could make of one the Cell Jrs turn out to be alive and regenerate, since they're supposed to have Cell's abilities. Now add a 12 years timeskip at least (assuming Super takes place at least after RoF) and you'll have a blue Cell color swap wandering around.

I don't see it happening though, considering the lack of references to Cell and the Red Ribbon in all this new DB material. There just seems to be no interest.

Turin

Banned
You could just say that Cell spawned a Cell Jr. a few days before the tournament when no one was around.

As far as what the hell he would have been doing all that time, Toriyama would certainly have some wacky ideas.

Anyway, whatever happens with this show I'm just hoping for a good time. I'd rather he wait a while before things get serious.

Luigi87

You could just say that Cell spawned a Cell Jr. a few days before the tournament when no one was around.

As far as what the hell he would have been doing all that time, Toriyama would certainly have some wacky ideas.

Anyway, whatever happens with this show I'm just hoping for a good time. I'd rather he wait a while before things get serious.

I would be okay with this. Cell pulling a King Piccolo in essence.

I'd also prefer the series not immediately jump into extended fight after extended fight, and have some fun with the characters.
... Of course I'm one of the ones who prefers Dragon Ball to DBZ.

Dr Gero was the true evil and big bad of te Cell Saga. I wish he was kept around a bit longer. I found Gero, Babidi and Frieza to be the most evil of evil in the entire series.

One villain I wouldn't mind being explored more is Dabura. He was so evil that he was rejected from going to HELL and was placed in Heaven. Would love to see this character more.

NeonZ

Dr Gero was the true evil and big bad of te Cell Saga. I wish he was kept around a bit longer. I found Gero, Babidi and Frieza to be the most evil of evil in the entire series.

Gero was originally intended to be the "final villain" of the Android Saga, but Toriyama's editor at the time pushed him to introduce "cooler" bad guys, leading to the three androids, and, after he also was unsatisfied with them, Cell.

Gero was originally intended to be the "final villain" of the Android Saga, but Toriyama's editor at the time pushed him to introduce "cooler" bad guys, leading to the three androids, and, after he also was unsatisfied with them, Cell.

I've heard about this and it sounds interesting. If that were the case if bet that originally #20 would not have been Dr Gero? I bet originally #16 would have been bad too. I wonder about his original storyboards

Bishop89

That editor sounds like a cool guy, cells my favourite villain

So who is stronger Whis or Vegito?

638551-whis_large.jpg

frost_vegito_by_dragonballzeditor-d45kfj6.jpg

Whis is without a doubt the stronger character we seen so far, but Vegito has the most potential

Shauni

So how many episodes will Kai end up running? Is less than half of the original series?

I'm really hoping Vegeta plays some prominent roles, not getting thrown to the wayside.

Oh he will, someone needs to job to show how powerful the next threat is. Though that may be Beerus, but Vegeta will definitely be in line.

One villain I wouldn't mind being explored more is Dabura. He was so evil that he was rejected from going to HELL and was placed in Heaven. Would love to see this character more.

They should have kept Dr Gero alive and around for the Cell part of the saga. I don't think Cell would straight up accept orders from Gero, but I think he would at least respect him as his "father" and would keep him alive because he has no reason to kill him. Their interactions could have been interesting. The ultimate warrior and the ultimate brain.

Blader

Had no idea Cell was so unpopular. He was always my favorite Z villain and the Cell Games my favorite arc.

Honestly, I've never really liked Frieza, but maybe because his arc was so incredibly long and drawn out. Plus, the dub during that time was really bad and only got markedly better when the Android saga started.

Had no idea Cell was so unpopular. He was always my favorite Z villain and the Cell Games my favorite arc.

Honestly, I've never really liked Frieza, but maybe because his arc was so incredibly long and drawn out. Plus, the dub during that time was really bad and only got markedly better when the Android saga started.
I don't think Cell is unpopular at all. A lot of people are of the opinion that the series should have ended with him.

I personally like Freeza more. I prefer fop-ish villains, and the entire Z series builds up to him from the start. It's a very natural progression. Cell does tie back to the Red Ribbon Army, although none of the characters in that arc were actually introduced in Dragon Ball (except for Tao Paipai who appears like twice) making it feel less like the culmination of a journey.

However the Cell arc is fucking awesome for the twists and turns it takes without losing sight of the end goal. Watching Buu recently the problem with that seemed to be how aimless it felt in setting up plot lines and abandoning them shortly thereafter. Gohan is supposed to defeat Buu, no Gohan is missing so now Vegeta will, now Vegeta is dead maybe SSJ3 Goku can, oh wait he has to leave, well what about Gotenks, oh wait no there's powered up Gohan, oh wait Buu has absorbed everyone, now the only one who can stop him is Vegito, hey they won oh wait no they didn't, and then they spend like five episodes just sparring with Kid Buu before Vegeta comes up with the plan to use the Spirit Bomb Mr. Satan saves the universe.

To say nothing of all of Buu's transformations.

CryptiK

So who is stronger Whis or Vegito?

638551-whis_large.jpg

frost_vegito_by_dragonballzeditor-d45kfj6.jpg

Whis is without a doubt the stronger character we seen so far, but Vegito has the most potential
Its still Whis. Beerus was still stronger than SSJG Goku and is still stronger than SSJGSS Goku and then you have Whis who is much stronger than Beerus.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think Cell is unpopular at all. A lot of people are of the opinion that the series should have ended with him.

I personally like Freeza more. I prefer fop-ish villains, and the entire Z series builds up to him from the start. It's a very natural progression. Cell does tie back to the Red Ribbon Army, although none of the characters in that arc were actually introduced in Dragon Ball (except for Tao Paipai who appears like twice) making it feel less like the culmination of a journey.

However the Cell arc is fucking awesome for the twists and turns it takes without losing sight of the end goal. Watching Buu recently the problem with that seemed to be how aimless it felt in setting up plot lines and abandoning them shortly thereafter. Gohan is supposed to defeat Buu, no Gohan is missing so now Vegeta will, now Vegeta is dead maybe SSJ3 Goku can, oh wait he has to leave, well what about Gotenks, oh wait no there's powered up Gohan, oh wait Buu has absorbed everyone, now the only one who can stop him is Vegito, hey they won oh wait no they didn't, and then they spend like five episodes just sparring with Kid Buu before Vegeta comes up with the plan to use the Spirit Bomb[/spoiler] Mr. Satan saves the universe.

Buu's main problem is focus, that's for sure. It goes off the rails around the time Vegeta blows himself up.

Servbot24

Banned
Buu is actually my favorite villain I think. No shitty monologues, just pure deranged evil. And a better design.

I wish Fat Buu would get in on the action these days, he's still about as strong as SSJ3 Goku.

I wish Fat Buu would get in on the action these days, he's still about as strong as SSJ3 Goku.

I'd love that. There used to be a trend in the series of former villains becoming good guys and becoming part of the main cast (Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Vegeta, etc.). But the trend has noticeably diminished as the series went on (Android 18 and Fat Buu become good but barely get involved in fights).

Shauni

However the Cell arc is fucking awesome for the twists and turns it takes without losing sight of the end goal. Watching Buu recently the problem with that seemed to be how aimless it felt in setting up plot lines and abandoning them shortly thereafter. Gohan is supposed to defeat Buu, no Gohan is missing so now Vegeta will, now Vegeta is dead maybe SSJ3 Goku can, oh wait he has to leave, well what about Gotenks, oh wait no there's powered up Gohan, oh wait Buu has absorbed everyone, now the only one who can stop him is Vegito, hey they won oh wait no they didn't, and then they spend like five episodes just sparring with Kid Buu before Vegeta comes up with the plan to use the Spirit Bomb[/spoiler] Mr. Satan saves the universe.

I've always felt the Buu saga sort of embodied all of the problems the original series had to an exaggerated degree. I almost half wonder if there wasn't some self-aware meta parody there sometimes.

Its still Whis. Beerus was still stronger than SSJG Goku and is still stronger than SSJGSS Goku and then you have Whis who is much stronger than Beerus.

Beers is stronger than SSJG2? Is that a spoiler for the Frieza movie or just an assumption? Still Vegito should be on par with Beers right?(Vegito is magnitudes strongers than SSJ3 I think)

Servbot24

Banned
Beers is stronger than SSJG2? Is that a spoiler for the Frieza movie or just an assumption? Still Vegito should be on par with Beers right?(Vegito is magnitudes strongers than SSJ3 I think)

SSJG is stronger than Vegito I think. SSJG Vegito could probably match up with Beerus though.

SSJG is stronger than Vegito I think. SSJG Vegito could probably match up with Beerus though.

What? No way!! Didn't Super Saiyan God Goku manage to tie with Beers fighting at 80%? A theoretical Super Saiyan God 2 Vegito should be magnitudes stronger than just 20%.

Servbot24

Banned
What? No way!! Didn't Super Saiyan God Goku manage to tie with Beers fighting at 80%? A theoretical Super Saiyan God 2 Vegito should be magnitudes stronger than just 20%.

Oh yeah, SSJGSS Vegito would probably beat Beerus, while SSJGSS Goku would probably have a close match with Beerus (I don't recall exactly but I think in BoG SSJG Goku just got Beerus warmed up). Regular Vegito would not beat any of them though.

This series is so stupid, lol.

Super Saiyan 2 Vegito should be at least equal to regular Super Saiyan God. Is so hard to judge.

Vegito = Goku + Vegeta power level x Earrings amplification (earrings gives another power up, though is not specified how much) + Saiyan 2 transformation.

SSG = Goku's power level + 5 other's Saiyan. (kind of like a super strong Kaio-ken)

I think, I'm new to Dragon Ball internet discussion to be honest.

NeonZ

I've heard about this and it sounds interesting. If that were the case if bet that originally #20 would not have been Dr Gero? I bet originally #16 would have been bad too. I wonder about his original storyboards

Here's a translation of the interview:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/daizenshuu-2-shenlong-times/
Akira Toriyama
At that time it began to be more fun to think up the story than to draw the pictures. But with the story, I basically only thought of each chapter. That’s why I end up getting caught in these quagmires. (laughs) Around the time of Trunks’ time travel, it was dreadful. I kept drawing, and it just got more and more incoherent.
Kazuhiko Torishima
You couldn’t have done that if Kondō-san wasn’t your editor. I can’t stand that kind of troublesome stuff. (laughs)
Akira Toriyama
You’re terrible to say that, Torishima-san. Right around then was when Artificial Humans No. 19 and No. 20 appeared. You weren’t my editor or anything anymore, but you specifically called me to say, “I thought that the enemies had finally come, but aren’t these just a geezer and a fatso?” (laughs) In truth, I hadn’t had plans for anyone but No. 19 and No. 20 to appear. But there was no helping it, so I brought out No. 17 and No. 18. Then you called me up and said “What, this time it’s just some brats?” So I brought out Cell. (laughs)
Fuyuto Takeda
So you hadn’t planned on Cell appearing at all?
Akira Toriyama
That’s right. I liked No. 19 and No. 20 just fine. And I liked the initial Cell fine as well.
Fuyuto Takeda
The bug-like one?
Akira Toriyama
Yeah, but Kondō-san said, “He looks ugly. Of course, he can transform.”, so I had no choice but to transform him into his second-form.
Yū Kondō
Was that how it was?
Akira Toriyama
And then you were really awful, Kondō-san. “This time, doesn’t he look like a moron? Hurry up and make him into his perfect-form.”, you said.
Yū Kondō
But he really did look like a moron. (laughs)
Akira Toriyama
With second-form Cell as well, I liked him well enough. Actually, I had wanted him to play a more active role. But since I was told he looked stupid, I had no choice but to change him. (laughs) So I made him into his cool-looking perfect-form, which was to Kondō-san’s liking.

EGOMON

Guys just head up please don't post any Revival of F spoilers or at least mask them, thanks.

OT: I wonder how long this new series is going to be?
Now that Naruto ended and Bleach no longer on TV, One Piece is the last of the big 3 still running I think DBS had a chance to fill the gap and become the new long running series

there could have been lots of fun ways to keep everyone relevant

The Saiyans all have the highest raw power and speed

The humans get kaio-ken and focus alot more on things like destructo disc, solar flare, clones, etc. Unique techniques where they use trickery and strategy to beat people.

Piccolo could expanded a lot more on his magical abilities, regeneration, his stretchy limbs, and his giant form.

Jarate

Banned
Actually in the latest Manga chapter, they might be an implied Krillin power up at least.

61smO9V.png

ujhjDSY.png

Nah, Humanity before Goku and co had shown ups strongest warriors was probably Master Roshi who had a very low power level on the cosmic scale (He's about as strong a Frieza Henchman) That's why they sent Goku to earth as a baby, cause Earth is full of weaklings.

Krillin on Namek got to be probably as strong as Dodoria, one of the strongest fighters in the universe, helll I could argue that by the android saga, Krillin was probably as strong as Recoome or possibly even Captain Ginyu. In this regards, Krillin and co are so much more massively stronger then any other human in existence, it catches foreigners off guard.

Nah, Humanity before Goku and co had shown ups strongest warriors was probably Master Roshi who had a very low power level on the cosmic scale (He's about as strong a Frieza Henchman) That's why they sent Goku to earth as a baby, cause Earth is full of weaklings.

Krillin on Namek got to be probably as strong as Dodoria, one of the strongest fighters in the universe, helll I could argue that by the android saga, Krillin was probably as strong as Recoome or possibly even Captain Ginyu. In this regards, Krillin and co are so much more massively stronger then any other human in existence, it catches foreigners off guard.

He did mention the peculiar face though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom