• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest 7 (3DS) features

Big Update Y'all!

jzClo.jpg

The Monster Park is still in it.

J6bUU.jpg

Like in the original game, sometimes when you beat up a monster it'll get back up and you can recruit it to the Monster Park, and you can find design docs across the world to help expand your Park with new biomes.

uPeIt.jpg
f2pIT.jpg

HFdhI.jpg
k3afS.jpg

You can talk to the monsters you've recruited.

NEW FEATURE
4pT2x.jpg

RKH4N.jpg

qXXAo.jpg

There's now a mysterious cave in the Park. To explore it, you have to create a party of up to three monsters you've recruited and send them in. Inside, you can obtain Streetpass Shards. I'm gonna assume monster classes for the party have been excised in favor of this system.

m0wSh.jpg

The Streetpass Shards can be used in the Immigrant Town (the Immigrant Town is also back) to access new dungeons/areas/storylines(!)

aziJ4.jpg

Zcgkq.jpg

LmV0v.jpg

Apparently once you get a Tavern open in the Immigrant Town, you can start passing things via the Internet?

rH4U6.jpg

B40ri.jpg

If someone wants to clear some stuff up that I may have gotten wrong, here's the Gamewatch article and here's the Famitsu one.

matmanx1

The video gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Hopefully this one will be USA bound before too long. I have a big soft spot for these games and would love to play this one on the 3DS!

Aeana

Split bump.

I'll also include the tidbit I posted about a couple of days ago that was too small to warrant a new thread:

This is such a tiny tidbit that it doesn't really warrant a new thread, so I'll just put it here.

Back at the reveal, it was noted that they were adding a guide for the lithographs/shards but it wasn't clear how it would work. Now we know.

http://www.dragonquest.jp/dq7/info/#sekiban02

1oh4d.jpg

He will serve two major purposes. The first is a replacement for the fortune teller that's in the original game: he can describe the location of shards you may have missed. This function can actually be accessed anywhere in the world from the menu, or by visiting him directly.

WUz8B.jpg

The second is an actual radar that shines on the bottom screen based on your proximity to a shard.

Between these two things, I think it'll be hard for people to miss shards like they apparently did in the original game.

Aeana

I'm glad to hear that they've implemented internet passing. It's become a nice trend in games that have streetpass functionality. Even if it's gimped, that at least doesn't lock out a whole area of the game for people like previous games did.

epmode

I would like to purchase this entertainment for consumption in my soon-to-be-acquired American Nintendo 3DS XL.

Aeana

I'm really surprised. In this era, it feels like games are getting features removed. I was fully prepared for the monster park and immigrant town to get the axe. But not only are they still in, they're getting signiifcant new features.

I'm so happy to see DQ7 getting the treatment it deserves, but it just makes the treatment DQ6 got even more tragic.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Japan Only.

There is no way this can't be localized. It has to come over. Nintendo made them survey it

I'm really surprised. In this era, it feels like games are getting features removed. I was fully prepared for the monster park and immigrant town to get the axe. But not only are they still in, they're getting signiifcant new features.

I'm so happy to see DQ7 getting the treatment it deserves, but it just makes the treatment DQ6 got even more tragic.

Yeah, I actually now give a crap about the Monster Park, and I think that having a dungeon specifically for monsters parties to explore is an elegant solution to the issues found in the original game's monster classes.

Um, could you look over those articles and make sure I was correct about that stuff? There's some stuff I don't quite follow in the immigrant town sections (something about monsters turning into humans?)

Japan Only.

There is no way this can't be localized. It has to come over. Nintendo made them survey it

I think the addition of ~internet features~ instead of just relying strictly on streetpass suggests that they're looking for an international audience.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Split bump.

I'll also include the tidbit I posted about a couple of days ago that was too small to warrant a new thread:

I...

... THANK YOU BASED ... um, who's developing this remake again? I don't care! THANK YOU!! I had to give up on DW7 all those years ago because I couldn't find the damn shard I needed to continue! >>;

Aeana

Yeah, I actually now give a crap about the Monster Park, and I think that having a dungeon specifically for monsters parties to explore is an elegant solution to the issues found in the original game's monster classes.

Um, could you look over those articles and make sure I was correct about that stuff? There's some stuff I don't quite follow in the immigrant town sections (something about monsters turning into humans?)

It's kinda vague, but it sounds like when you get the monster shards from the dungeons, you can pass them to other players and then the monsters show up in human form in your town. I personally don't really get whether that's independent of placing them on the pedestals or not.

I think the addition of ~internet features~ instead of just relying strictly on streetpass suggests that they're looking for an international audience.
Well, they did the same thing for Bravely Default, and... well, we'll see!

Oh god.....need this....now. Please come to our shores! I never finished DQ7, too damn long. But with it on the go I will surely give it another go!

urfe

Care explaining? It's the one DQ game I never really got into. (played about 5 hours of the SFC game)

t26

I don't mind streetpassing as long as Nintendo organized some type of event like they did for Dragon Quest IX

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Holding on to my US 3DS just in case, but I feel that PAL has a higher chance of receiving this.

alf717

I've been collecting the series so that one day I would sit down and play them all. I would like to see this come to the US.

bluemax

Banned
So internet passing means those of us who don't ride the Subway/bus/live in Japan might actually get to use those features?

The only time I've ever had Streetpass work on my 3DS was at E3. Other than that I've had a few random encounters from what I assume is a neighbor kid who only owns Mario Kart 7. I never used the Street pass type stuff on DQ9.

Aeana

Care explaining? It's the one DQ game I never really got into. (played about 5 hours of the SFC game)
The DS game is not much of a remake at all. Yes, they made it 3D, but it manages to feel and look really similar. Well, except for the pacing, which If eel was completely wrecked in the DS version. I prefer the SFC version by leaps and bounds because the music is better, and the vignettes have more impact.

So internet passing means those of us who don't ride the Subway/bus/live in Japan might actually get to use those features?

The only time I've ever had Streetpass work on my 3DS was at E3. Other than that I've had a few random encounters from what I assume is a neighbor kid who only owns Mario Kart 7. I never used the Street pass type stuff on DQ9.

Presumably. It'll probably work like Bravely Default, where you get a couple of "free" passes per day by connecting to the internet. It's nowhere near as effective as actually going out and getting real people in a city in Japan, but it does give you an option.

The DS game is not much of a remake at all. Yes, they made it 3D, but it manages to feel and look really similar. Well, except for the pacing, which If eel was completely wrecked in the DS version. I prefer the SFC version by leaps and bounds because the music is better, and the vignettes have more impact.

Ouch

It's the only english version I got though =(

bluemax

Banned

Presumably. It'll probably work like Bravely Default, where you get a couple of "free" passes per day by connecting to the internet. It's nowhere near as effective as actually going out and getting real people in a city in Japan, but it does give you an option.

I'll take what I can get. I think I did use the internet shop thingy for DQ9 but I never got to use the Inn or whatever.

Also I didn't realize DQ6 was nerfed so much on DS. Maybe I'll have to play the SFC version at some point this year.

duckroll

This game looks so good. It's also the first real DQ remake since DQV on PS2! It really makes DQVI DS feel all the lamer since they could have put in more effort into that. :/

urfe

Interesting, thanks for the reply. The American import of the DS version is always cheap on Amazon Japan, and I'm always tempted, but perhaps I'll stick to the SFC version for when I got time to settle in front of a TV.

On topic, I'd like to say this game is day one for me, but I'll be waiting a little while just in case there's a downloadable version released. Looks amazing, and I can't wait to play it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've never played DQ7 but I have to say that Monster Park idea is adorable. The cave bit reminds me of that one Arc the Lad II sidequest where you can only use your recruitable monsters to get to the end.

It looks so pretty.

How is it compared to DQ8, which I loved?
Worse of the series.
I've played them all in order they came out, and when this was released, I thought the series was dead.
VIII was decent though, and IX was great.

It's still a DQ game, so might be worth playing if you're into jrpg.
I'm not picking this one up though.

In my world, I pretend it never came out. :O

Worse of the series.
I've played them all in order they came out, and when this was released, I thought the series was dead.

...I....I need to sit down.

and I am sitting down.

This is going to be my first Dragon Quest in February. Hopefully future titles will utilize the Phantasy Star battle setup.

Aeana

Worse of the series.

You didn't explain why you don't like it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I haven't been interested in a DQ game as much as this since DQVI DS came out 2 years ago, I want this.

Top Bottom