• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DRIVECLUB branding guidelines video shows spectacular visuals!

those engine sounds--assuming they're not faked--elevate the entire experience.

kaz
please
it is time

it is time for you to commit sudoku
sudoku508b4a6b7f4c1d65a5a9a3a78e7e48a2a1.png

Jburton

Banned
Motorstorm franchise never took off because it had a bad start, sure it sold 3-4 million but a lot of those gamers never came back to the sequels because Motorstorm was pretty bare bones and didn't even have splitscreen right off the bad. You only get 1 shot establishing a new IP so it's for the best that Sony decided to delay DC. The game needs all its bells and whistles if it wants to make a good first impression.

First Motorstorm was the best, the sequels where disappointing ...... hence the drop off.

Oh my God, these GIFs are amazing!

Here's me hoping that one day they'll also make another entry into the Motorstorm franchise.

If nothing else, I really hope they develop a new MotorStorm RC. I'd like to see another on the Vita.

The big takeaway from a design standpoint are the imperfections.

Really like that they're focusing on that. They seem to get graphics.

Yeah; it's like the polar opposite from the sterile charmless perfection of Gran Turismo (which is something that has always bothered me).

GlassCity

Banned
First Motorstorm was the best, the sequels where disappointing ...... hence the drop off.

Gotta say i agree with that. The first one had something about it that felt awesome that the others lacked. I don't know if it was the environments or what, but i always missed something about the first one.

Drive club looks amazing. I'm really interested to see how it drives.

Like a lot of racing games, a lot of the footage in the trailers is shown from angles you'll never actually play from but that's by the by.

I'm more interested in this than I was, I'm glad it'll be partially on PS+ so I get a chance to see how the driving feels...I can't get on with GT but I like the ways cars handle in Forza for example.

One complaint about the trailer I have is that the reflections on the yellow car during the Go Pro bit don't seem to accurately reflect the surroundings given that the trees being driven past are reflected unmoving on the car.

I only bring it up because the trailer is so focused on that side of things, it wouldn't bother me in game really.

After seeing Project Cars its really not that impressive IMO...
Need to see some new direct feed footage. These 720p marketing trailers aren't indicative of the actual visuals.
Just look at the reveal trailer and the actual direct feed footage we got last year.

I have PCars it looks amazing but the overall package of DC is more impressive

Like a lot of racing games, a lot of the footage in the trailers is shown from angles you'll never actually play from but that's by the by.

I'm more interested in this than I was, I'm glad it'll be partially on PS+ so I get a chance to see how the driving feels...I can't get on with GT but I like the ways cars handle in Forza for example.

One complaint about the trailer I have is that the reflections on the yellow car during the Go Pro bit don't seem to accurately reflect the surroundings given that the trees being driven past are reflected unmoving on the car.

I only bring it up because the trailer is so focused on that side of things, it wouldn't bother me in game really.
I think it is fair to say the first video is very much touched up footage, target render type stuff. I mean it has the reveal footage in there for a kick-off, so I wouldn't fret over anything odd you see in that video.

I mean look, this is for a film contest and the video is more designed to show you what you should be doing with your touched up film. I extremely doubt this 'go pro', DoF changes and frame imperfection stuff is in the game to the level it is in that video.

The second video just posted looks very much like real-time replay footage - the angles look very much that way to me anyway.

Just to reiterate:

In case anyone bases arguments or discussions on the footage being newer than anything we've seen since GamesCom 2013... it's not. So the video in the OP is almost certainly not in-game (at least, not real time. Well, possibly, but then the game must be looking exponentially better now).

Edit: And the guy who sent it in even posted as much on his Twitter... 10 hours ago:
BLc2Grt.png

I assume the B-roll he's talking about is the videos in the same folder... but weighing in at 2gb a pop, I wasn't going to download them. But other people can have a go and .gif away, I guess!

Edit #2: While I'm at it, did we know about this (16/01/14)?

Here's the quality of the B-Roll footage in case anyone wants to download it (it's the same one that DualShockers uploaded to DailyMotion)

vlcsnap-2014-01-22-07ousna.png

Just to reiterate:

In case anyone bases arguments or discussions on the footage being newer than anything we've seen since GamesCom 2013... it's not. So the video in the OP is almost certainly not in-game (at least, not real time. Well, possibly, but then the game must be looking exponentially better now).

Edit: And the guy who sent it in even posted as much on his Twitter... 10 hours ago:
BLc2Grt.png

I assume the B-roll he's talking about is the videos in the same folder... but weighing in at 2gb a pop, I wasn't going to download them. But other people can have a go and .gif away, I guess!

Edit #2: While I'm at it, did we know about this (16/01/14)?

Interesting. So this is just old stuff being polished and shown? I'm confused. We have users here saying it's brand new stuff and then others saying it's from months ago (Gamescon).

(still) looks good either way, just curious if this is something to get excited over or if I should just file it away in my "Whenever It Comes Out" folder.

And the award for the most idiotic post of 2014 goes to:

No, I'm not being short sighted, I just have a particular preference. But if you want to play it like that, sure. If you get excited by sims you're in my opinion pretty fucked up to begin with so it's hard to gauge anything from that.

"Fucked up" because a person likes to play sim racers. What a baby-retaliation response.

_hekk05

Banned
Interesting. So this is just old stuff being polished and shown? I'm confused. We have users here saying it's brand new stuff and then others saying it's from months ago (Gamescon).

(still) looks good either way, just curious if this is something to get excited over or if I should just file it away in my "Whenever It Comes Out" folder.

Its brand new because we haven't seen it before, even though it may have been made quite a while ago.

Varth

Gran Turismo: Driveclub

It even sounds credible as a title.

Really doubt it. Just because it looks good? Game will drive nothing like a GT game and thats what he cares about.

Well, it's the same thing as Forza Horizon.

That said, I hope the Evo Guys get the success they deserve (based on the underappreciated MS games) on their own, without having the safety net of the brand.

Just take care when showing the preview code. MS games ALWAYS had big problems in preview, and even though most of them were patched by the time the game went gold, the first impressions damaged the final results of the game. And in a realistic setting, in a game touted for its graphics, it's all gonna be nitpicked 1000% more.

New to us as we have not seen it before, but not new in terms of it being old gamescom-era build footage.

Its brand new because we haven't seen it before, even though it may have been made quite a while ago.

Gotcha. Still impressive, even if it's an old build. But in the age of bullshottery, it's hard to really make a call. I'm glad they delayed it to improve. At first I wasn't happy at all since it was the only racer I was interested in but with AC, I'm good for the long haul.

Kaz is more like "WAIT till they see GT..."

Fixed with DRIVECLUB branding.

soontroll

Banned
Think he meant visual package. As in, not just looking at isolated supersampled shots.

Those shots are still more representative than trailer footage and gifs from that footage. It's also incorrect that PCars only looks good in screenshots.

Sure, DC could look amazing when it comes out and it looks promising. I'm not saying it looks bad at all.
But this whole 'oh PCars is all bullshotting but my awesome DC trailer is totally amazing' stuff is a bit silly.

Those shots are still more representative than trailer footage and gifs from that footage. It's also incorrect that PCars only looks good in screenshots.

Sure, DC could look amazing when it comes out and it looks promising. I'm not saying it looks bad at all.
But this whole 'oh PCars is all bullshotting but my awesome DC trailer is totally amazing' stuff is a bit silly.

We've had direct feed gameplay footage from DC already. And this was from several months ago. I can tell you right now that pCARS running on my R9 290 does not look as visually consistent as any of the footage from DC I've seen.

Valid point I should clarify that if the DC trailer is a sampling of what this game will look like it looks better than PCars. I also think though PCars looks amazing even when playing it the point where it really shines is when your looking at just the car models much like GT and Forza. The environments leave a lot to be desires in PCars.

what are the chances this game has microtransactions? especially since its a free PS+ game?

Do you ask that of all games that are free on PS+?

This game is also a full retail release game too. Whilst that doesn't mean that it won't have microtransactions/DLC, suggesting it will have them just because it's on PS+ seems a little short sighted.

Seems great based on a promise.

If the handling model delivers, I feel, that everything else falls into place. Visuals are what I imagined next-gen should be.

Do you ask that of all games that are free on PS+?

This game is also a full retail release game too. Whilst that doesn't mean that it won't have microtransactions/DLC, suggesting it will have them just because it's on PS+ seems a little short sighted.

no i don't think it will have microtransactions solely because it will be on PS+, i'm just saying it could be a factor.

As an artist, it's always nice to hear a game developer talk about stuff like de-saturation. I'm still baffled at how many technically fantastic artists, when they start to get technical, don't refer to the technique properly and just go "well, uh, you can just add some grey to your colors and it'll look all moody and shit". No, it won't.

Still curious to see how this game plays; have been hoping for something that isn't too sim-like, and hearing them talk about doing stylized touches on the visuals gives me hope some of the handling and physics will complement that (i.e more arcadey stuff). We'll find out soon.

No, I'm not being short sighted, I just have a particular preference. But if you want to play it like that, sure. If you get excited by sims you're in my opinion pretty fucked up to begin with so it's hard to gauge anything from that.
Ridge Racer was 30fps. RR4 was 30fps. The PGR games were 30fps. All of them are highly regarded despite that.

FPS isn't the end-all, be-all of any game.
Unless it's a fighting game.

Wonko_C

Ridge Racer was 30fps. RR4 was 30fps. The PGR games were 30fps. All of them are highly regarded despite that.

FPS isn't the end-all, be-all of any game.
Unless it's a fighting game.

The first Project Gotham Racing on Xbox was 60fps. It was quite an upgrade from Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast, which was 30fps. Then it went back to 30fps from PGR2 onwards.

It's true what you say though. FPS isn't the end-all, be-all.
It's 120fps.

Top Bottom