• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores (Issue 221)

Aalyx

I don't get all the FIFA bashing, did you switch the camera to Dynamic? I found the game to be far better when I done that. I'm waiting for the PES 2008 demo on PS3 but from videos I've seen, I'm unimpressed. It doesn't look like football, players just ping the ball around instantly and the animations look a generation behind FIFA 08.

Also, the Be A Pro thing sounds sick, should be great putting "myself" in Manchester United :lol

Sho Nuff

Banned
Gazunta said:
Guys I don't even have time to think about a Wii version, we're too busy finishing the Commodore 64 version instead:

a6fd626229923faf17bfa0e86dcf1fa4.gif

Awesome, you guys should make a standalone one that plugs into a TV!

egmfan89

Don't know if it's been mentioned aside from my OP, but I need to state something: read the Saints' Row story. Robert Ashley convinced me over at 1up (He wrote it), and man am I glad I read it. I can definitely tell you I've never read as good a story in a videogame magazine as this one, it's about so much more than just Saints' Row, so yeah, check it.

jjasper

Error said:
fuck that, there are tons of turn based strategy rpgs like FFT.

the last time we got an Ogre Battle type game was Ogre Battle 64 almost what? 9 years ago? bring on another ogre battle type game.

oh and Ogre Battle 64 owns your fucking face, that thing needs a VC release.

Finally someone agrees with me.

Sho Nuff

Banned
egmfan89 said:
Don't know if it's been mentioned aside from my OP, but I need to state something: read the Saints' Row story. Robert Ashley convinced me over at 1up (He wrote it), and man am I glad I read it. I can definitely tell you I've never read as good a story in a videogame magazine as this one, it's about so much more than just Saints' Row, so yeah, check it.

Saints Row had some really, really good stuff in it (targeting, shooting fools through windshields, the excellent GPS/route-calculating system) and the core gameplay was outstanding. Most people couldn't get past the story/presentation.

HECTOR SAYS BUENOS NOCHES!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
A2D said:
I don't get all the FIFA bashing, did you switch the camera to Dynamic? I found the game to be far better when I done that. I'm waiting for the PES 2008 demo on PS3 but from videos I've seen, I'm unimpressed. It doesn't look like football, players just ping the ball around instantly and the animations look a generation behind FIFA 08.

Also, the Be A Pro thing sounds sick, should be great putting "myself" in Manchester United :lol

Awesome dude. I for one will never begrudge a target audience its games.

egmfan89

Sho Nuff said:
Saints Row had some really, really good stuff in it (targeting, shooting fools through windshields, the excellent GPS/route-calculating system) and the core gameplay was outstanding. Most people couldn't get past the story/presentation.

HECTOR SAYS BUENOS NOCHES!

Read what I wrote again. This is not a Saints' Row story, this is something different entirely. It's hard to explain exactly through the web, but I really hope I see more of this stuff (and he says I will since he's doing the next gfw cover too!)

VP on the Wii seems almost possible, maybe MS want to make money off the casuals to bring in money for the 360? Or something to that effect?

Quagm1r3

Concept17 said:
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing reviews on Jericho (not sure what it is about the game, but its in my top5 anticipated) I'll probly get it either way.

What's the release date on that again?

Manmademan said:
If you rented it, it was definitely march of the black queen. I liked it personally but it's so different from the rest of the Ogre games it might as well be another series entirely.

Good luck finding LUCT though. It's rare as hell even on PSX these days. it had an absurdly small print run.

you can find the GBA game "the knight of lodis" fairly easily though and it's really good.

There was also an N64 game I don't know much about, so I can't reccomend it to you.

Person of Lordly Calibur. Excellent game. Won me over completely after a bad experience renting March of the Black Queen (hey, I was young).

Phthisis

Night_Trekker said:
Person of Lordly Calibur. Excellent game. Won me over completely after a bad experience renting March of the Black Queen (hey, I was young).

Not just an excellent game, but the BEST game on the N64. Ogre Battle 64 is absolutely brilliant and helped those of us without a PSX and FFT through the jealousy.

daegan

egmfan89 said:
Fifa 08(PS3/360): 9 (Todd), 9 (John), 8 (Andrew P.)-Game of the Month (Tie)

are you serious? AWESOME

egmfan89 said:
Skate (PS3/360): 9 (Nick), 8 (Jennifer), 6.5 (Todd)

buh?

egmfan89 said:
Tony Hawk Whatever- Better than Skate

Certainly not as a representation of skateboarding.

Anyone who has ever bitched about "crates" in FPS's doesn't understand how much I've hated every Tony Hawk level since 2, with the exception of the stuff in P8. Arcade machines? Are you serious? The skating in your skating game is so boring that you have to put those back in?

The PG demo was just more of THPS3 - THAW, and fuck that. That's not going to cut it anymore. That is old and tired and it just feels more like a game of reactions, as in here's your environment, to do these goals you'll have to skate a certain way vs a game of ACTIONS, as in, I want to do a nollie heelflip, where can I feasibly make that look good?

They better explain this damn well or I'll seriously cancel my free subscription.

daegan

AlternativeUlster said:
Usually they are about 100% accurate but sometimes they just make stuff up like some posters here on NeoGaf.

*cough*KHIIFinalMixUSRelease*cough*

And it wasn't even in the rumors section!

And it's never freaking coming out here!

Keio

For a Finer World
RamzaIsCool said:
:lol at the Fifa score, judging from the demo the game will probably be trashed in the Euro press. But atleast the Americans like it...that has to count for something, right?
What is wrong with people - it's like NHL 07 last year: no one could believe EA could actually publish a decent hockey game. Then they suddenly gave 2K series a run for their money.

I'm actually thinking FIFA 08 is going to get great reviews in European press - for example the editor-in-chief of Pelaaja magazine in Finland, Thomas Puha, has been writing in his blog that it beats PES2008. And that's coming for a die hard PES fan.

The problem with people is that they've started equating "realistic football" with PES mechanics, even though the game has been turning into a more and more arcadey experience every year. Based on the demo, FIFA 08 is actually more tactical, requiring you to move the ball around, probe the defense and not just run at opposing players - something that doesn't happen that often in real football.

Peru

It's downright ridiculous that someone in EGM would claim the new Tony Hawk superior to Skate, it's an offense to good game design everywhere. At least Nick with the 1up review nailed what's so great (and greater) about Skate.

Tieno

Peru said:
It's downright ridiculous that someone in EGM would claim the new Tony Hawk superior to Skate, it's an offense to good game design everywhere. At least Nick with the 1up review nailed what's so great (and greater) about Skate.
I have a hard time believing that too. The Skate demo felt so refreshing and brought in a new type of skateboarding game a lot of people thought wouldn't work. They deserve a lot of recognitation for their innovation.

Druz

Socreges said:
Got to laugh at their skate and FIFA scores. The dude named Todd got it so backwards.

If it's Todd Zuniggigziga, he's the one who plays a lot of sports games, so we'll see.

soul

EGM's November issue features a small Final Fantasy XIII article that says the game is finally running on actual PlayStation 3 hardware. That's sad news for us all, because if that only happened now the game might be released at Japan in 2009!

CassSept

egmfan89 said:
Fifa 08(PS3/360): 9 (Todd), 9 (John), 8 (Andrew P.)-Game of the Month (Tie).
Wha-

soul said:
EGM's November issue features a small Final Fantasy XIII article that says the game is finally running on actual PlayStation 3 hardware. That's sad news for us all, because if that only happened now the game might be released at Japan in 2009!
:lol :lol

ethelred

Phthisis said:
Not just an excellent game, but the BEST game on the N64. Ogre Battle 64 is absolutely brilliant and helped those of us without a PSX and FFT through the jealousy.

It's the only really and truly worthwhile game on the N64 and the one thing that actually makes the system worth owning.

kay

The Ogre Battle rumour is old.. like a year old. And it isn't the Ogre Battle team and it likely isn't a new title in the series. Matsuno just expressed interest in the console and will make a game for it..probably http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2006/092106e.html

A new title in the series would be awesome but I severely doubt it. If it happens, a title like the old games on a console is just not happening.

Keio said:
What is wrong with people - it's like NHL 07 last year: no one could believe EA could actually publish a decent hockey game. Then they suddenly gave 2K series a run for their money.

I'm actually thinking FIFA 08 is going to get great reviews in European press - for example the editor-in-chief of Pelaaja magazine in Finland, Thomas Puha, has been writing in his blog that it beats PES2008. And that's coming for a die hard PES fan.

The problem with people is that they've started equating "realistic football" with PES mechanics, even though the game has been turning into a more and more arcadey experience every year. Based on the demo, FIFA 08 is actually more tactical, requiring you to move the ball around, probe the defense and not just run at opposing players - something that doesn't happen that often in real football.

It's only this year PES has turned faster and arcadey, which is the first time it has happened since PES4 which was one of the most enjoyable versions.

Realism doesn't mean it's fun, FIFA 08 is too slow. It's an improvement over FIFA 07 but in my opinion PES still feels much closer to actual football than FIFA.

ethelred

kay said:
The Ogre Battle rumour is old.. like a year old. And it isn't the Ogre Battle team and it likely isn't a new title in the series. Matsuno just expressed interest in the console and will make a game for it..probably http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2006/092106e.html

A new title in the series would be awesome but I severely doubt it. If it happens, a title like the old games on a console is just not happening.

That's a year old. Now there's a new continuation on that rumor. You say "Matsuno just expressed blah blah blah," but no one knows if the new EGM rumor is based on the same old appearance as Sam Kennedy's original story or if they're basing this on more substantiating evidence.

kay

Well, there is no "Ogre Battle team" any longer, if there is, it isn't like before. If EGM is talking about Matsuno, the rumour is old.

ethelred

kay said:
Well, there is no "Ogre Battle team" any longer, if there is, it isn't like before. If EGM is talking about Matsuno, the rumour is old.

Did you even read the thing?

First of all, of course there's no Ogre Battle team per se, but that's not what the full rumor says -- it says Matsuno has brought together some of the people who worked on Ogre Battle with him. That could possibly mean he's reassembled some of the team from Quest (not all of whom went on to join Square Enix, or maybe some of them have left, too) or it could just means that some of the now-freelance people (like Sakimoto) are working with him for one project.

Secondly, no, the rumor is not old. The rumor is new. That other similar rumors have been floating around in various forms for an extended period of time lends it additional credence.

ethelred

kay said:
Uhh... that says almost exactly what the old rumour was pointing at.. It added a few members of the team but that isn't worthy of being called new.

Yes it is. Go away and stop raining on my parade.

kay

If it is him, it won't be Ogre Battle unless S-E is the publisher, which is a shame as it will be another series that Square cares nothing about. They just converted it all into Final Fantasy. A grid strategy RPG on Wii would be a nightmare to do right so I'm pegging this as "don't get your hopes up" like the Parasite Eve 3 rumour (as in, it won't be like the old games).

ethelred

kay said:
A grid strategy RPG on Wii would be a nightmare to do right

Yeah, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is such a complete fucking travesty.

Here's a thought. How about we assume that Matsuno is a competent enough game designer that he knows what he's doing regardless of which system he works on, and we not let the exciting prospect of him designing his first SRPG in a DECADE get bogged down stupid crap because it's not on whatever system you'd rather have it on?

jjasper

How the hell would a grid based strategy game be a nightmare on the wii? All you need is a dpad and 2 face buttons to do it, both of which the Wiimote has.

kay

ethelred said:
Yeah, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is such a complete fucking travesty.

Here's a thought. How about we assume that Matsuno is a competent enough game designer that he knows what he's doing regardless of which system he works on, and we not let the exciting prospect of him designing his first SRPG in a DECADE get bogged down stupid crap because it's not on whatever system you'd rather have it on?

Seriously: stop posting.
Why are you responding then?

I obviously meant using the wiimote.. Fire Emblem is a bad example as it is literally a GC game ported over.. :lol By the looks of it, Matsuno actually wants to use the controller to its potential, not just tack on things like sixaxis implementations.

jjasper said:
How the hell would a grid based strategy game be a nightmare on the wii? All you need is a dpad and 2 face buttons to do it, both of which the Wiimote has.
Okay, read above, I should have said using motion but.. whatever.

botticus

kay said:
Okay, read above, I should have said using motion but.. whatever.
How much motion do you think they'd want/need to introduce? Pointing to move/select menu options, likely as an optional alternative to a d-pad? Not sure why that would be so difficult.

ethelred said:
It's the only really and truly worthwhile game on the N64 and the one thing that actually makes the system worth owning.
I hope that comes out on VC... I owned the cart for a short while until I decided I didn't want to keep a crappy used N64 around the house just for one game. Never did get around to playing it.

Milkman

miyamotofreak said:
Milky gave a 8 to Zelda to make sure Ninja Gaiden would be the best reviewed DS game. I honestly think Milky is infatuated with LeatherPants.

This coming from miyamotofreak. Imagine if you actually read the review?

Xater

The FIFA review is a nic suprise. I was thinking about getting it because I didn#t really like the demo of PES 2008 (WTF have you done Konami?). Now I know I can do no wrong with it.

Dascu

kay said:
I obviously meant using the wiimote.. Fire Emblem is a bad example as it is literally a GC game ported over.. :lol By the looks of it, Matsuno actually wants to use the controller to its potential, not just tack on things like sixaxis implementations.
How about we wait and see? Matsuno's a very talented developper. If he wants to use motion-sensing in his new game, then let him do so. We need skilled designers like him approaching the Wii's controls with good ideas. I trust him not to fuck it up.

Top Bottom