• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New evidence suggests a ninth planet lurking at the edge of the solar system

Status
Not open for further replies.
1453309429-009.jpg
oh shit

So would this large planet theoretically be a gas planet or a rocky planet?

I seem to remember that has to do with distance from the sun - closer planets tend to have thinner atmospheres and stay rocky while ones further away accumulate gas (potentially to the point of collapse into a star, like Jupiter could have). I guess that trails off a lot, right? That would all be dependent on the morphology and density of the supernova dust cloud that formed the solar system.

Could this be a solid "ice" world of frozen methane?

Also if this is in the Ort Cloud no one in here will ever see this planet correct? We couldn't reach it with any kind of satellite in our lifetimes could we? Or am I messing up distances on that one. As far as I know the Ort Cloud has never been directly seen / observed.

Walshicus

Also if this is in the Ort Cloud no one in here will ever see this planet correct? We couldn't reach it with any kind of satellite in our lifetimes could we? Or am I messing up distances on that one. As far as I know the Ort Cloud has never been directly seen / observed.
It'd be a damn impressive piece of navigation and engineering, that's for sure. Probably could get there with a nuclear powered probe with a high dV engine and good planetary alignment.

gutshot

It's not quite as far out as the Oort cloud. The model predicts it would be, on average, about 580 AU away from the Sun. The Oort cloud is believed to begin at around 2,000 AU. And remember the orbit is believed to be elliptical, so it would get closer than 580 AU at times.

There was a proposed probe that was propelled via a solar sail that could make it out to 200 AU in approximately 15 years. So <580 AU is definitely achievable within one's lifetime.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The universe is an incredible place, and our knowledge is surprisingly vast for how small we are within it. I read a passage from Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" 2003) a couple of weeks ago and found it fitting. it's a bit shortened in places, and perhaps paraphrased a bit, but mostly remains intact:

I'm not sure how scientifically accurate everything he discusses in here, but it's a really nice read thus far.

Man Astronomy is awesome!

Wow, this would be pretty cool if it turns out to be true. It really puts into perspective how little we know about even our own corner of space.

JoeInky

It's just Pluto wearing a pair of groucho glasses.

Stop trying to get back into the planet club bro, we know it's you.

CPS2

People who read crop circles and the bible are way ahead of science. They've known about this for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom