• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout 3 pics

Raistlin

Jtyettis said:
Haha, no it wasn't

You're nuts if you don't think PS3 Obvlivion was the superior version.

Regardless, it has little to do with this title ... and I would suspect you are correct that the 360 version will be better (or at least they will be similar).

Ariexv

Onix said:

Regardless, it has little to do with this title ... and I would suspect you are correct that the 360 version will be better (or at least they will be similar).
Maybe if you compare the original releases. But if you compare the GoTY editions the 360 version wins.

Kapsama

mac said:
I think you are thinking of the Brotherhood of Steel bases.
Nah, see the post below as well.
MrPing1000 said:
Hmmph the vault looks wrong. It's supposed to be super futuristic with a retro 50s theme (ie huge computers, lots of blinking lights) Metalic and bright.

Looks like it could be underwater or in a submarine.

Maybe I'm being too picky, PLEASE BE GOOD.

f@luS

More than a member.
Ariexv said:
Maybe if you compare the original releases. But if you compare the GoTY editions the 360 version wins.
both GOTY ? from a technical standpoint? the ps3 has still the edge ive read but i may be wrong. patches and everything were little in comparaison of the ps3 versions.

FrankT

Onix said:

You're nuts if you think it ran buttery smooth. The frame rate was anything but, which is exactly what I was talking about.

TheExodu5 said:
Wow...bloom needs to fucking die next gen.

Are you kidding me? :lol The game ran at a solid 15fps.

belvedere said:
It was smoother than the 360 version, though not by much.

The enhanced AF, quicker load times and longer draw distance probably drew people's attention from the framerate though.

He said smooth as butter, and I said, no. Regardless of the rest. AF, yup, load times better aye, the draw distance, well that was patched on 360 as well.

BeeDog

Looks sharp, but not in the best way. But of course, I have high hopes for this game since I really liked Oblivion despite its shortcomings compared to Morrowind.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jtyettis said:
You're nuts if you think it ran buttery smooth. The frame rate was anything but, which is exactly what I was talking about.

The enhanced AF, quicker load times and longer draw distance probably drew people's attention from the framerate though.

This is going to be the most amazing year in gaming. Period.
Between Fallout3, GTA4, MGS4, GOW2 and RE5, I'm going to have to put over 1000 hrs of gaming in by the end of this year. (Easily)

Ariexv

belvedere said:

Why do people insist on comparing the 360 version that came out months before the Ps3 version instead of the upgraded/patched 360 version? The one that was just as good if not better then the Ps3 one.

JoeMartin

I never played Fallout 1 or 2. I want a real Fallout experience before I play this. What's the best way to get either of these?

Whoever owns them needs to get them on Steam asap tbqh.

Onemic

Jax said:
looks incredible. I can't wait for this. NOT A OBLIVION FAN. but I love love love fallout

Same here. I'm really hoping they make it feel like the previous fallouts even though they already fucked everything up by making it a FPS-RPG. I'm not getting my hopes high until I see some actual gameplay footage though.

Clevinger

JoeMartin said:
I never played Fallout 1 or 2. I want a real Fallout experience before I play this. What's the best way to get either of these?

There's a jewel case with both games you could find used easily.

Ariexv said:
Why do people insist on comparing the 360 version that came out months before the Ps3 version instead of the upgraded/patched 360 version? The one that was just as good if not better then the Ps3 one.

Who cares, you're arguing over scraps. Vanilla oblivion is dreck.

Onemic

ckohler said:
Really stupid question: Will you play Fallout 3 like Oblivion?

(If so, then day one purchase for me).

If FO3 is anything like oblivion, then the series will be dead to me.

Clevinger

MrPing1000 said:
Hmmph the vault looks wrong. It's supposed to be super futuristic with a retro 50s theme (ie huge computers, lots of blinking lights) Metalic and bright.

Looks like it could be underwater or in a submarine.

Maybe I'm being too picky, PLEASE BE GOOD.

These older shots show off the retro look better:

screen08B.jpg

screen03B.jpg

Though I doubt it's quite what you wanted.

Spoit

ckohler said:

And this (well, and the complete boneheadedness of NMA) is why they don't really care about anything the fallout fans have to say

Shoho

Banned
chubigans said:
Im psyched, but I'll miss the beautiful vegetation of Oblivion. :(

I don't. Morrowind had flaws, but Morrowind had so many things. deserts, swamps, jungles, canyons, desert storms, golden wastelands, metropolises build by stone, small obscure fishing villages, dark castles, insane amount of dungeons/fortresses/castles/houses/small settlements, beaches, mountains, snowy areas, murky roads, generic forests, exotic forests and so on and so on... and temples.. and basilisks.. and.. and...

And oblivion? Oblivion might have been bigger, but it was just one big copy pasted randomly shit generated piece of green forests, with a bit of frost on top... f**k. I never played the expansion, but bethesda does... goddamit. god it made me hate oblivion. no point in exploring that world.

in morrowind, every rock and tree was put their by design. same with WoW. you can feel the love that went into creating does worlds, which made them fun to explore.

but oblivion. oblivion was made to be an authetnic crappy green happylands forests.. everything looked the same. it sucked. i hated it. I wanted it to die. I still do.

Haunted One said:
Who cares about the console versions anyway.

Fallout isn't a console franchise.

Neither was Elder Scrolls. Welcome to next-gen.

Alsi, I didn't see these posted yet, so I thought I would:

1207468165327353.jpg

fallout14609.jpg

fallout15606.jpg

This game very badly needs some MSAA.

Clevinger

ckohler said:

It'll play like Oblivion in that it's in first person view (or a viable third person view this time), part of it's combat is in real-time, and that traveling the world is unlinear. That's where the similarities end.

The game structure (nonlinear quests, branching dialogue, gray morality, non-violent solutions, consequences for your actions etc.) and ruleset all follow the Fallout formula. The main quest also follows the formula, in that you're given something to look for and in your travels towards it you experience the bulk of the game content. Where the water chip was the initial one in Fallout 1, the GECK and then your tribe in Fallout 2, finding your father is your initial goal in this game.

Whether you believe it'll turn out that way or you turn your nose up at the mention of Oblivion and Bethesda is up to you.

Haunted

tahrikmili said:
Neither was Elder Scrolls. Welcome to next-gen.
and which one was - without a doubt - the superior version of Oblivion? Same applies here.

good screens, btw.

No45

JoeMartin said:

The Fallout Collection (Might be Fallout Ultimate Collection in NA) has 1, 2 and Tactics. I picked it up new today for £9.99 (~$20) but I'd imagine you can find it cheaper if you shop around.

Jtyettis said:
Haha, no it wasn't and considering the 360 is the lead platform here and the only one shown to date to the press I really do not see that happening at all. Quite the opposite really.

Anyhow, these are the same shots from OXM from a month or so ago. These guys are under the same publisher right?

Is that so...

facepalm.gif

Ariexv said:
Because it wasn't. It didn't fix the objects popping up, it didn't fix the longer load times, it didn't fix the lower res textures up close. Only thing it did was fix the textures at distance cause of that shader upgrade.

Anyway, point is, Oblivion on the PS3 was a good port, considering the original, so there's no reason for the PS3 version of F3 to be a bad one.

sajj316

anyone know what % complete is this game? The game looks good at this point but I think there is still a bit of graphical tweaking this game needs.

JoeMartin said:

Well..the price is certainly right for how well it's aged. You can easily pick up a double pack for around $17, but the game hasn't aged well at all. I tried playing through the first one again recently, and it still is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but the style of gameplay does not compare well to more modern RPGs. Very slow paced; a single combat screen can take ages, and it's not exactly a thrill packed experience. Give it a try if you want, but know what you'll be getting.

Onemic

Peronthious said:
Well..the price is certainly right for how well it's aged. You can easily pick up a double pack for around $17, but the game hasn't aged well at all. I tried playing through the first one again recently, and it still is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but the style of gameplay does not compare well to more modern RPGs. Very slow paced; a single combat screen can take ages, and it's not exactly a thrill packed experience. Give it a try if you want, but know what you'll be getting.

It's a TB-RPG, what do you expect? Did you really play this game before? Because from what you said it seems like you're simply bullshitting.

The only thing that has aged are the graphics, nothing more.

Peronthious said:

you are so wrong. Fallout is a masterpiece, and it is still as wonderfully enthralling as it was the first day I played it.

straydog1980 said:
you are so wrong. Fallout is a masterpiece, and it is still as wonderfully enthralling as it was the first day I played it.

I'm not saying it's not a masterpiece; I completely adored the game. I'm just saying that a modern game player who does not have experience with old school turn based CRPGs would likely not have the patience required to get into Fallout's world. It simply does not hold it's own alongside more modern RPGs when presented to the modern audience. Several friends of mine, if I presented Fallout to them, would probably get bored after half an hour of playing. This is not to say that the person I quoted it one of these people, but it doesn't hurt to know what you're going into before purchasing a game.

Clevinger

onemic said:
It's a TB-RPG, what do you expect? Did you really play this game before? Because from what you said it seems like you're simply bullshitting.

The only thing that has aged are the graphics, nothing more.

To be fair, the interface is pure shit. It was shit then, and it's shit now. The combat, while it has its charms and can be entertaining, has little to no strategy aside from getting out of your ally's line of fire and aiming for the eyes. Ally AI is beyond moronic. The battles also take far too long in most towns because if you start a battle there, usually every NPC has to react and join in or walk around aimlessly. The combat isn't bad because it's turn-based, it's just designed horribly. The Jagged Alliance series/Silent Storm does turn-based combat right.

While most of the content is superb, it does have a lot of things marring the experience. Though a modern player with an open mind and patience would have little problem with them, I think.

Raistlin

Ariexv said:

What differences are there in the GoTY versus the original? Did they add AF to the 360 rev?

Jtyettis said:

God no ... I wasn't implying that :p

I simply meant it was the superior version overall (due to AF an loading)

belvedere said:

iirc, the scenes that were smoother actually varied between both revs.

Raistlin

Ariexv said:

It improved the LoD, but I don't think it improved loading, did it? Even if it did, the lack of AF is why people point to the PS3 as being superior.

Note, I never the updated 360 rev, I'm just trying to recall what was patched. I don't believe AF was ever added, was it?

sajj316 said:
anyone know what % complete is this game? The game looks good at this point but I think there is still a bit of graphical tweaking this game needs.

they said the game is complete now, they are just testing it.

pr0cs

JoeMartin said:

Be aware though that getting the games to work on current gen hardware (and Operating systems) may be really difficult.
I couldn't get Fallout 1 or 2 to work on my current PC (went back to play them when Fallout 3 was announced) and found there was no way for me to get them to work on my current PC.

pr0cs said:
Be aware though that getting the games to work on current gen hardware (and Operating systems) may be really difficult.
I couldn't get Fallout 1 or 2 to work on my current PC (went back to play them when Fallout 3 was announced) and found there was no way for me to get them to work on my current PC.
That's weird, the only issue I had, aside patching and such, was the Fallout 1 installer that didn't read my memory capacity right. Unless you're talking about Vista.

Top Bottom