• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout 3 pics

Kittonwy

Banned
tahrikmili said:
Neither was Elder Scrolls. Welcome to next-gen.

Alsi, I didn't see these posted yet, so I thought I would:

This game very badly needs some MSAA.

Did they lock down the tech early because the tech reminds me alot of Oblivion in terms of bloom and the general lack of shadows which I guess can get quite expensive for a game this size.

NoirYuki

Baiano19 said:
I´m not familiar with this series but consider me interested...

What should I expect of Fallout 1 and 2?
Is it too long?
I saw a bit of Fallout 2 and it reminded me of Diablo II, so how do both gameplays compares if they are comparable at all?

I would recommend you actually get your hands on them and try them yourself, but here are some speed runs (the game is much longer if you really play it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzSOKi_t5fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZvMq2F-O14

Nothing like Diablo, except that it is isometric. Fallout is turn-based.

Kapsama

Spoit said:
And this (well, and the complete boneheadedness of NMA) is why they don't really care about anything the fallout fans have to say
So what this supposed to mean? If sales is what they're after why ruin a traditionally non-selling but cult game like Fallout? I'm sure Oblivion 2 would guarantee them their sales.

Clevinger

tegdf said:
looks great, but does anyone actually think it will come out this year?

They said recently that they're now in the polishing stage, so I don't see why not. They have more than half a year...

Minsc

Gold Member
onegoodlogan said:
Looks hot. I'm gonna have to sell my 360 and get a PS3 for this.

Why's that? If it matters that much, I'd just get a PC, I doubt the difference will be anything substantial between the console releases.

Teknoman

Shoho said:
I don't. Morrowind had flaws, but Morrowind had so many things. deserts, swamps, jungles, canyons, desert storms, golden wastelands, metropolises build by stone, small obscure fishing villages, dark castles, insane amount of dungeons/fortresses/castles/houses/small settlements, beaches, mountains, snowy areas, murky roads, generic forests, exotic forests and so on and so on... and temples.. and basilisks.. and.. and...

And oblivion? Oblivion might have been bigger, but it was just one big copy pasted randomly shit generated piece of green forests, with a bit of frost on top... f**k. I never played the expansion, but bethesda does... goddamit. god it made me hate oblivion. no point in exploring that world.

in morrowind, every rock and tree was put their by design. same with WoW. you can feel the love that went into creating does worlds, which made them fun to explore.

but oblivion. oblivion was made to be an authetnic crappy green happylands forests.. everything looked the same. it sucked. i hated it. I wanted it to die. I still do.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

Odrion

Banned
What the heck? Some things were wrong with Oblivion but the overworld was definitely not one of them.

Morrowind was a half-shit game whose quality was measured by how much you were willing to overlook every single flaw the game to achieve some form of escapism.

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Both ESIII (Morrowind) and ESIV (Oblivion) were mediocre games that really didn't advance the IP, aside from pretty, superficial graphics. Still had level scaling, still had crappy combat, still had a shallow plot, still had forgettable quests. If Daggerfall had run w/o crashing every hour or so, then it would've been better than any of its successors (and w/ enough patching it did get semi-stable).

Bethesda simply doesn't have the experience (or talent) in creating a story-driven, non-linear game like Fallout. To Bethesda, non-linear means a) whacking a monster to death b) spamming the spellcast key to blast a monster to death. Dialogue was always lacking, and in the demo was lacking as well. Combat looks ridiculous--the Bloody Mess perk is totally trivialized since monsters left and right have their limbs coming off (and according to Todd Howard, that's going to stick for the final version).

The impressions I had from seeing the demo is that it's a vapid shooter. A very pretty vapid shooter, but empty nonetheless. Just like Oblivion (no surprise).

Dogmeat returning again? Surprise surprise. Every installment they say he's not returning, yet he somehow comes back to life (sometimes literally).

Teknoman

I just hope there's lots of enemy diversity. One thing I dont like about the majority of most WRPGs is that you're fighting normal looking stuff for the first quarter of the game. Also needs more than just 4-5 music tracks.

Minsc

Gold Member
sugaki said:
Both ESIII (Morrowind) and ESIV (Oblivion) were mediocre games that really didn't advance the IP, aside from pretty, superficial graphics. Still had level scaling, still had crappy combat, still had a shallow plot, still had forgettable quests. If Daggerfall had run w/o crashing every hour or so, then it would've been better than any of its successors (and w/ enough patching it did get semi-stable).

Bethesda simply doesn't have the experience (or talent) in creating a story-driven, non-linear game like Fallout. To Bethesda, non-linear means a) whacking a monster to death b) spamming the spellcast key to blast a monster to death. Dialogue was always lacking, and in the demo was lacking as well. Combat looks ridiculous--the Bloody Mess perk is totally trivialized since monsters left and right have their limbs coming off (and according to Todd Howard, that's going to stick for the final version).

The impressions I had from seeing the demo is that it's a vapid shooter. A very pretty vapid shooter, but empty nonetheless. Just like Oblivion (no surprise).

Dogmeat returning again? Surprise surprise. Every installment they say he's not returning, yet he somehow comes back to life (sometimes literally).

Damn realists.
I agree, but remain blindly hopeful

Metalmurphy said:
Is that so...

Because it wasn't. It didn't fix the objects popping up, it didn't fix the longer load times, it didn't fix the lower res textures up close. Only thing it did was fix the textures at distance cause of that shader upgrade.

Anyway, point is, Oblivion on the PS3 was a good port, considering the original, so there's no reason for the PS3 version of F3 to be a bad one.

This

Seriously....right now I would venture to guess the best version in order for Fallout

1. PC
2. PS3 (...if they go all out using the mando harddrive/caching ala Oblivion)
3. X360

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
This

Seriously....right now I would venture to guess the best version in order for Fallout

1. PC
3. X360

360 Oblivion used the HDD. Any differences between PS3 and 360 Oblivion might be because the PS3 version came out a year after the 360 version.

Minsc

Gold Member
AgentOtaku said:
This

1. PC
3. X360

Ah, I forgot about the loading issue.

There's no reason why lower-res textures up close would be a problem for the 360, that was likely just a feature they improved down the road, same with the distant textures. More than likely the only difference will be the load times this time around.

Either way, the above list is correct, but it needs to go something more like:

1) PC, High End system with mods
2) PC, Midrange system with mods
3) PC, Low end system with mods
4) PC, High End system, no mods
5) PC, Midrange system, no mods
5) PS3 (...if they go all out using the mando harddrive/caching ala Oblivion)
5.5) X360 with HD
6) X360 with no HD
7) PC, Low end system, no mods

1. PC
98. Something else, but only if you don't have a PC.

Fallout fans are batshit insane... but if they ever get behind this game you can guarantee patches and mods for the rest of eternity. Hell, even if they don't get behind the game they may try to turn it into what they wanted. I'm a big time console gamer (I hate being in front of a PC for more than I already have to be) but Fallout is a PC game... pure and simple.

JoeMartin

Peronthious said:
Well..the price is certainly right for how well it's aged. You can easily pick up a double pack for around $17, but the game hasn't aged well at all. I tried playing through the first one again recently, and it still is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but the style of gameplay does not compare well to more modern RPGs. Very slow paced; a single combat screen can take ages, and it's not exactly a thrill packed experience. Give it a try if you want, but know what you'll be getting.

That's fine with me. I don't need flashy combat to hold my interest. I just want a good/interesting/unique story and a functional gameplay engine.

deadbeef

Someone make a LTTP: Fallout or GAF Plays Fallout thread. I just picked up the first 2, never played them before. Do it, do it now...

Dice Man said:
Someone make a LTTP: Fallout or GAF Plays Fallout thread. I just picked up the first 2, never played them before. Do it, do it now...

I don't like turn-based RPG, but I'm almost tempted. I'm buying Fallout 3 day one, though.

No45

Dice Man said:
I had some fun and games installing the first last night, and when I'd done it the character creation screen stopped me in my tracks. Today will be reading up on the stats/skills etc, hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to play the game some. If I get enough in I'll start a thread.

Tieno

These are the kind of screenshots that really get me going!
33ticmc.jpg

antiloop

Shoho said:
I don't. Morrowind had flaws, but Morrowind had so many things. deserts, swamps, jungles, canyons, desert storms, golden wastelands, metropolises build by stone, small obscure fishing villages, dark castles, insane amount of dungeons/fortresses/castles/houses/small settlements, beaches, mountains, snowy areas, murky roads, generic forests, exotic forests and so on and so on... and temples.. and basilisks.. and.. and...

And oblivion? Oblivion might have been bigger, but it was just one big copy pasted randomly shit generated piece of green forests, with a bit of frost on top... f**k. I never played the expansion, but bethesda does... goddamit. god it made me hate oblivion. no point in exploring that world.

in morrowind, every rock and tree was put their by design. same with WoW. you can feel the love that went into creating does worlds, which made them fun to explore.

but oblivion. oblivion was made to be an authetnic crappy green happylands forests.. everything looked the same. it sucked. i hated it. I wanted it to die. I still do.

wow. I agree.

No45 said:
I had some fun and games installing the first last night, and when I'd done it the character creation screen stopped me in my tracks. Today will be reading up on the stats/skills etc, hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to play the game some. If I get enough in I'll start a thread.

im replaying them now also, so Ill contribute once you make the thread (also make sure you double checked my post, there were some changes to the mods i listed, i updated it last night).

For everyone sucking off oblivions shitty overworld you really need to play a real game like gothic 2.

What should I expect of Fallout 1 and 2?
Is it too long?

Fallout 1? one of the best games ever made.
And no, if you really want to blow through the game then it is quite short.

No45

ZombieSupaStar said:
im replaying them now also, so Ill contribute once you make the thread (also make sure you double checked my post, there were some changes to the mods i listed, i updated it last night).
I did notice them, thanks. I've had a quick play with it tonight (Not enough to start the thread yet I don't think)... but I got a little confused when I hit the overworld map and kept moving betweens Vaults 13 and 15... then got jumped by three Radscorpions and snuffed it. That'll learn me! :lol

In fact, I might just start the thread so we can get up some build discussion as I'm not completely sure how I want to play that either.

ckeur

MaizeRage25 said:
I believe they said it would be smaller, but don't quote me on this.

I believe they thought it was going to be smaller, because they wanted every bit of land to be meaningful, unlike Oblivion, but I believe it ended up being bigger than they expected, roughly the size of Oblivion.

ZombieSupaStar said:
Fallout 1

(PATCHES)
install these in order listed:

2) kids patch: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=569
(reason this is 2nd is because I "think" the 1.2 patch above has the uk fallout.exe version included, which is censored, thus by doing this in the 2nd step the fallout.exe would go back to the uncensored version + adding the missing kid graphic files)

be sure to read the readmes :D

Ibought the white label collection wich includes the both games and the tactics one.....i wonder if they're censored....

sugaki said:

I hate being right, oh well I'll remain hopefull the final product will be diferent.

No45 said:
I did notice them, thanks. I've had a quick play with it tonight (Not enough to start the thread yet I don't think)... but I got a little confused when I hit the overworld map and kept moving betweens Vaults 13 and 15... then got jumped by three Radscorpions and snuffed it. That'll learn me! :lol

In fact, I might just start the thread so we can get up some build discussion as I'm not completely sure how I want to play that either.

here is my starter build, i picked bloody mess because "You see people die in horrible ways" and gifted because while it lowers your skill % with abilities a bit (you can read books in the game to gain % depending on what book the skill educates you, in addition to adding to them at level ups), it adds +1 point to every starter Stat, im basically gonna rush small guns to at least 100% (sniper rifles ftw!) and speech, as you gain levels (every 3rd level I think, its been awhile) you can gain more traits not availible to you at the start, I also tag skilled Small arms, speech, and science.

Code:
                                  FALLOUT
                         VAULT-13 PERSONNEL RECORD
                        05 December 2161  0721 hours

Name: Zombie             Age: 26               Gender: Male
 Level: 01                 Exp: 0            Next Level: 1,000

::: Statistics :::
       Strength: 06         Hit Points: 043/033         Sequence: 06
     Perception: 07        Armor Class: 007         Healing Rate: 02
      Endurance: 06      Action Points: 08       Critical Chance: 007%
       Charisma: 07       Melee Damage: 01          Carry Weight: 175 lbs.
   Intelligence: 07        Damage Res.: 000%
        Agility: 07     Radiation Res.: 012%
           Luck: 07        Poison Res.: 030%

::: Traits :::           ::: Perks :::           ::: Karma :::
  Bloody Mess                                      Reputation (General) 0
  Gifted                                           

::: Skills :::                ::: Kills :::
  Small Guns ..... 052%
  Big Guns ....... 007%
  Energy Weapons . 007%
  Unarmed ........ 061%
  Melee Weapons .. 051%
  Throwing ....... 037%
  First aid ...... 027%
  Doctor ......... 012%
  Sneak .......... 022%
  Lockpick ....... 017%
  Steal .......... 017%
  Traps .......... 017%
  Science ........ 049%
  Repair ......... 017%
  Speech ......... 049%
  Barter ......... 024%
  Gambling ....... 031%
  Outdoorsman .... 001%

::: Inventory :::

note: if you see those green circle outlines (unknown city areas) just click the arrow once you stop (assuming you clicked on those areas as a destination)

basically whereever you stop on the world map you can click your location and itll go into the isometric view.

Bluemercury said:
Ibought the white label collection wich includes the both games and the tactics one.....i wonder if they're censored....

they are, i have both (the original us releases on cd, and the white label dvd collection) those patches I listed will uncensor them.

if you want I can start the Lets Play thread?

Minsc

Gold Member
ckeur said:
I believe they thought it was going to be smaller, because they wanted every bit of land to be meaningful, unlike Oblivion, but I believe it ended up being bigger than they expected, roughly the size of Oblivion.

But you were able to move around much faster in Oblivion (especially on horse or using the instant travel on the map), so it feels smaller than Morrowind.

Minsc

Gold Member
Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Anyone know if I can replay these games on a mac? I'd like to go back and give them another runthrough before 3.

I'd say yes, but you may not be able to use all the extra fixes on the PC version done by fans. Best bet might be emulating the PC version one way or another.

sugaki said:

Eh the truth hurts.

ZombieSupaStar said:
they are, i have both (the original us releases on cd, and the white label dvd collection) those patches I listed will uncensor them.

well i already finished the first one, and i started the 2nd with the killap unoficial patch, i assume this one will uncensor the game.....?
Anyway what kind of content is censored, are quests censored too?

Bluemercury said:
well i already finished the first one, and i started the 2nd with the killap unoficial patch, i assume this one will uncensor the game.....?
Anyway what kind of content is censored, are quests censored too?

yup from the readme of the version i posted
NOTE 2: This version includes the Children's patch and thus if you are using a non-US version of the game and missing children, this patch includes everything you need to get them back in.

only the kids were removed.

ZombieSupaStar said:
yup from the readme of the version i posted

only the kids were removed.

Well for some reason i remember seeing kids in the first one...anyway were there quests removed that involved these kids in the first game?Because quests removed would be stupid....

Bluemercury said:
Well for some reason i remember seeing kids in the first one...anyway were there quests removed that involved these kids in the first game?Because quests removed would be stupid....

I cant really remember any kids quests at all off the top of my head, but I never did a play through with the white label release (i have it as a backup because my US cds are scratched)

Bluemercury said:
Only the kids sprites were removed which lead to a quest or two to be broken but the patch puts the kids back in.

Top Bottom