• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Frame game announced for Wii U

Tenki

Is this just fantasy?

tumblr_lk9cnzKtl21qzwaddo1_500.jpg

Son Of D

I enjoyed the first Fatal Frame and have been waiting forever for a sequel but I don't have a Wii U. :/

Would've loved to have seen this made from the ground up on PS4.

Don't Nintendo co-own the IP? Or was that just a lot of confusion?

Anyway, as someone who's never played the FF games before. What would be a good way to describe them? Also what's a good one to play? I live in the UK.

Instro

Don't Nintendo co-own the IP? Or was that just a lot of confusion?

Anyway, as someone who's never played the FF games before. What would be a good way to describe them? Also what's a good one to play? I live in the UK.

I believe they have some ownership in the titles produced on their platforms, but not to the IP as a whole.

Sadist

Ever seen a Japanese ghost movie where the ghosts creep/float around in a very creepy way? If so, imagine such a movie and now you're the main character, a scared girl. You're armed with a flashlight, searching for clues to escape the town/building with all the spirits. The only way to destroy a ghost is to photograph them with the Camera Obscura. So you'll need to collect roles of film for ammo. Seriously, it's a really creepy series.

You're in the UK and if you have a Wii, Project Zero II (Fatal Frame's name in Europe) received a remake two years ago. Maybe you can find a cheap copy? Fans of the series kind of agree that the second one is the best.

Terrell

Why no footage... They should localize this and hype it up at E3, but it's Nintendo, so even if there's a localisation there's gonna be radio silence except for a minor mention in some Nintendo EU Direct which no one watches, one week before release.
Also, I can only hope gamepad is optional. Motion controls can be amazing (Silent Hill Wii), but the gamepad is just awful for it. Shit is way too bulky to move around (I was always using the stick in ZombiU instead) and the difference in image quality ruins the atmosphere anyway. Also, the Wiimote was equally obvious and yet they got the controls in Project Zero Wii all wrong too.
Equally obvious?!

You're trying too hard to bring the hate, dude. It's kinda sad.

Why no footage... They should localize this and hype it up at E3, but it's Nintendo, so even if there's a localisation there's gonna be radio silence except for a minor mention in some Nintendo EU Direct which no one watches, one week before release.
Also, I can only hope gamepad is optional. Motion controls can be amazing (Silent Hill Wii), but the gamepad is just awful for it. Shit is way too bulky to move around (I was always using the stick in ZombiU instead) and the difference in image quality ruins the atmosphere anyway. Also, the Wiimote was equally obvious and yet they got the controls in Project Zero Wii all wrong too.

i4CsOVpBY1CYv.gif

That rumour of Nintendo buying the Fatal Frame IP turned out to be completely false, right? Weird relationship that the companies have with this IP.
They don't like profit that's for sure since everybody that cares but not enough to buy a wiiu will be watching it on youtube.

I think there's some truth to a relationship, maybe an exclusivity thing, would have been a great japanese venture into vr gaming but at least they'll have the gamepad to..yeah, I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The guy who first brought up the JP 3rd-party exclusive says FF isn't it.

https://twitter.com/_ockto_/status/458509711542079488

Makes sense as he said it was on the level of Bayo 2 and FF had obvious precedent.

Well, that's good to know. Not because I'm not excited for Fatal Frame (I totally am), but because I just wanna believe that Nintendo's gonna ride this motherfucker out with as much cool shit as they can.

prag16

Banned

Nah, it should have a better chance than the last couple in the series. The system needs all the games it can get, and localizing this shouldn't be very expensive overall. If they really want to cheap out, they can make it a digital only release in the west.

They released Spirit Camera because the 3DS needed games.

I'll take a wait and see approach on this. They might do it, I'm not terribly optimistic, but disappointment isn't guaranteed.

Zornica

Banned
You're in the UK and if you have a Wii, Project Zero II (Fatal Frame's name in Europe) received a remake two years ago. Maybe you can find a cheap copy? Fans of the series kind of agree that the second one is the best.

for people who haven't played part 2 on wii yet, it's pretty cheap atm (22€+shipping)
http://www.base.com/Games/Project-Zero-2-Wii/PZ2WII/product.htm?awc=2694_1398663049_86c1f33b322388dad1213af5c7ed1181
If you live in europe or own a modded wii, there is no reason not to own it.

Ever seen a Japanese ghost movie where the ghosts creep/float around in a very creepy way? If so, imagine such a movie and now you're the main character, a scared girl. You're armed with a flashlight, searching for clues to escape the town/building with all the spirits. The only way to destroy a ghost is to photograph them with the Camera Obscura. So you'll need to collect roles of film for ammo. Seriously, it's a really creepy series.

Yeah, basically it's the anti-COD:
* you're a defenseless schoolgirl
* you have no weapons except for a camera
* you walk very slowly
* no multiplayer

I never get scared by videogames, at all, but Fatal Frame II:Crimson Butterfly (the director's cut on the OG xbox) freaked me out. So much so that I never finished it.

was just going to make thread asking if we will get a trailer by E3

I'm guessing it will appear at some point in a Nintendo Direct or Famitsu.

Aren't each of the games themed after a color? Obviously FF2 was red, but I remember FF4 being yellow.

So FF5 is blue? What was FF1 and FF3?

Not really. Or... actually I don't remember too well, but I don't think so. FF3 was kinda bluish too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm guessing it will appear at some point in a Nintendo Direct or Famitsu.

Not really. Or... actually I don't remember too well, but I don't think so. FF3 was kinda bluish too.

whoops, my mind must have been somewhere else, I meant TGS

Tamanator

whoops, my mind must have been somewhere else, I meant TGS

Nintendo doesn't generally do TGS, though of course Tecmo Koei may show it off independently.
I'm eagerly anticipating this game, which is strange considering I still have a sealed copy of Project Zero 2 Wii Edition in my draw.

Zornica

Banned
Nintendo doesn't generally do TGS, though of course Tecmo Koei may show it off independently.
I'm eagerly anticipating this game, which is strange considering I still have a sealed copy of Project Zero 2 Wii Edition in my draw.

please show up at tgs -_- then there'd be a reason for me to go...

Top Bottom