• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Final Fantasy VI GBA screens....looks a$$ ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jko

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/tgs06/titles/ff6/
img01.jpg
img02.jpg

img03.jpg
img04.jpg

...goes to show that the GBA isn't the best choice for all SNES ports, as you can see, this game probably pushed the SNES to its limits...which is no where where the GBA can touch(at least from what I've seen so far in music and graphics).

On the other hand, FFV is looking nice:
img01.jpg
img03.jpg

critch

Banned
Did I miss something? It looks exactly the same as the original, which is about as good as a 16-bit rpg can look.

I second the sound worries, though.

Zilch

Banned
What? It looks fine. Exactly like the SNES version (unless you didn't want it to look like the original).

jko

neptunes said:
I'm more worried about how it'll sound like.
I wouldn't get your hopes up...it'll be 'toned down'...to put it nicely. they should've ported these to the DS, it's got better sound, more pixels on screen, plus its not like they sold FF4a a whole lot if that's what they were aiming for by releasing them on the GBA...

EDIT: hmmm...maybe the screens are bad?? I could've sworn the SNES ones were less murky.

Sallokin

Looks fine to me, if you're playing this game for the graphics, then you're playing for the wrong reason anyway.

Polari

jko said:
don't get your hopes up...it'll be 'toned down'...to put it nicely. they should've ported these to the DS, it's got better sound, more pixels on screen, plus its not like they sold FF4a a whole lot if that's what they were aiming for by releasing them on the GBA...

The sound and screen ratio is a bitch. Would it have really been that hard to port them to DS, and put the menus on the touch screen? That would have been great. Square-Enix might have bigger plans though, I suppose.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Himuro said:
Why did they not add graphical effects like IV and V?
Probably because it was hard enough to port this graphics the same way they looked on the SNES as it is.

BooJoh

001.jpg
img04.jpg

Looks fine to me. Some of these screens seem disproportionate to the GBA's screen though, might be a bit of deform going on.

As long as it sounds good and runs smooth my dreams will be realized.

EDIT: bear in mind a lot of GBA games look oversaturated in screenshots because a PC monitor won't display the same colors as a GBA screen.

jko

Polari said:
The sound and screen ratio is a bitch. Would it have really been that hard to port them to DS, and put the menus on the touch screen? That would have been great. Square-Enix might have bigger plans though, I suppose.
yeah, and who knows, it probably would've generated more sales for them...and it would've helped drive the DS sales a bit more in the US.

bjork

This is good news because it means once 1-2-3-4-5-6 are all portable, it's time to give us a handheld version of "quite possibly, the greatest game ever made":

cloud.jpg

Tabris

The PSOne port looks miles ahead of that in terms of colour and sharpness.

Loading times was the only thing holding it back, and by this point, you should be used to playstation generation load times.

...BUT this is portable and that makes it TOTALLY worth buying!

ethelred

Tabris said:

Loading times was the only thing holding it back, and by this point, you should be used to playstation generation load times.

I don't see how, given that the PSX port was a straight port totally unchanged from the original game.

BooJoh

Tabris said:

Just loading times? You must be forgetting the terrible slowdown when pretty much any effects occurred in battle. And the loading times in FFVI seemed to be longer than modern PSX games to me.

At any rate, these screens are not 240x160, which to me says they're not fully indicative of the quality of the final product.

mug

Tabris said:

Still, disc vs cart. You're right though, portable FF titles = win/win situation.

Tabris

BooJoh said:
Just loading times? You must be forgetting the terrible slowdown when pretty much any effects occurred in battle. And the loading times in FFVI seemed to be longer than modern PSX games to me.

At any rate, these screens are not 240x160, which to me says they're not fully indicative of the quality of the final product.

I don't remember that, but it's been a while.

Only game of the PSOne ports that annoyed me was CT. Menu loading drives me insane. I don't mind battle/zone loading but that like 3 second menu load was just weak.

Deku

Banned
Tabris said:

Only game of the PSOne ports that annoyed me was CT. Menu loading drives me insane. I don't mind battle/zone loading but that like 3 second menu load was just weak.

How about no loading for game that fits into a 4MB ROM?

Tabris

Deku said:
How about no loading for game that fits into a 4MB ROM?

I've been playing RPGs with load times for 9+ years now. I really don't notice it much anymore, so that's why I didn't care much.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Someone want to explain how these look like ass compared to the original? Looks fine to me. I'll bet you a cow and two bisen that the soundtrack is going to sound mega butchered though.

Why did they not add graphical effects like IV and V?

Because FFIV and FFV advance were already upgraded graphically for their Wonderswan remakes. FFVI didn't get the same treatment, so they don't have a graphically upgraded FFVI to shanghai.

Lapsed

Banned
I will buy FF6 GBA depending on the music. Strangled music = Lapsed don't buy. (already have the SNES version)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
FFS Square-Enix, Just port this to the DS already.

ethelred

Lost Fragment said:
Someone want to explain how these look like ass compared to the original? Looks fine to me. I'll bet you a cow and two bisen that the soundtrack is going to sound mega butchered though.

Because FFIV and FFV advance were already upgraded graphically for their Wonderswan remakes. FFVI didn't get the same treatment, so they don't have a graphically-upgraded FFVI to shanghai.

V never had a Wonderswan "remake" (and that's using the term generously even for FFIV; these are all ports, not remakes). Only I, II, and IV.

Tabris said:

The loading in FFVI was just as bad as CT. They were both unplayable; load times were far above the acceptable levels, even exceeding current PSX games. IV was fine, though. V was unplayable for reasons entirely unrelated to the loading.

Lapsed said:
I will buy FF6 GBA depending on the music. Strangled music = Lapsed don't buy. (already have the SNES version)

But will Lapsed Gamers buy it?

BooJoh

Tabris said:
I've been playing RPGs with load times for 9+ years now. I really don't notice it much anymore, so that's why I didn't care much.
But most of the Sony generation RPGs manage to hide their load times in special effects. When I'm staring at a black screen for 5 seconds it annoys me. Last time I played FFVI on PSX it seemed to take like 10 seconds from encounter to actual battle start. Terrible.

Tabris

ethelred said:
The loading in FFVI was just as bad as CT. They were both unplayable; load times were far above the acceptable levels, even exceeding current PSX games. IV was fine, though. V was unplayable for reasons entirely unrelated to the loading.

Huh? What was wrong with FFV except for the PS2 save bug which you can easily get around by just memerizing the screen.

The load times in FFVI weren't as bad as CT.

ethelred

Tabris said:
Huh? What was wrong with FFV except for the PS2 save bug which you can easily get around by just memerizing the screen.

The load times in FFVI weren't as bad as CT.

The translation made FFV for PSX unplayable.

And yes, the VI load times were atrocious.

jko

Lost Fragment said:

Because FFIV and FFV advance were already upgraded graphically for their Wonderswan remakes. FFVI didn't get the same treatment, so they don't have a graphically upgraded FFVI to shanghai.
yup like the other poster said, FFV was never 'remade' to WSC. as for why these looked a$$ to me, 2 things:

1) the screen size, the back drops are cut off and there are MANY scenes in FF6 that takes advantage of the whole screen for its cinematic effects...even if it was only 16-bit. well, that's going down the drain...more the reason SE should've ported these to the DS.

2) could be bad screens, the pixelation looks murky...hopefully it's just bad screens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom