• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

Gunloc said:
I'm hoping that they add back most of the book 1 characters dropped from the original book 2. It seems like if you were not a teen or a pretty girl then you were dropped in favor of more teenagers.

Well, the artwork in the teaser video is already a big improvement over the artwork from Shadow Dragon. I'd like to see the graphics will get an overhaul too, it was one of the most frequently discusses problems most had with the game.
Artwork, I can see changing that.

Seems unlike IS to create a series of assets for soldiers and characters and completely dump them after using them once.

john tv

What I would very much like to see in this remake:

- support conversations
- shoving and...what was it called in English, protecting? I forget -- when you basically grab an adjacent unit and cover it
- GBA-style graphics, if not something entirely new (the DS visuals were kinda stale IMO)

Very excited to have another FE headed for DS. FE on the go is pretty close to perfect as far as I'm concerned. :) I just want them to match the GC version's feature-set this time, because it was damn near perfect IMO.

Peff

More Fire Emblem is always good news, though Book 2 is probably the one I'd least like to see for a Western release. One at a time, I guess!

Jezan

Cep said:
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
THIIIIIIIIS x 1000000

The animations in those games are awesoooome!

Regulus Tera said:
So any particular reason why they are skipping FE2? Did they lose the source code like Square did with FFIII or what?
OMG , what? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Regulus Tera said:
So any particular reason why they are skipping FE2? Did they lose the source code like Square did with FFIII or what?
FE Gaiden is very...different.

It's a bit more like Shining Force (despite pre-dating it) than the other FE games.

neo2046

Tenbatsu said:
245zpzk.png

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7QXtgdpB0

yes:D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SilverLunar said:
Do you have to have the source code to make a remake?
No, you need it to do a direct port unless you resort to reverse engineering or emulation, and the former is usually more trouble than it's worth when a game could use an update anyway.

ShockingAlberto has the right answer, FE2 is different plus I'd imagine they want to get this out on the DS before its successor comes along with it being a sequel to Shadow Dragon.

ShockingAlberto said:
Artwork, I can see changing that.

Seems unlike IS to create a series of assets for soldiers and characters and completely dump them after using them once.
I guess we'll see. It's the least they can do after splitting book 1 & 2 into separate games.

Also, if the "have fewer than X number of characters" rule to access the new characters and side quests returns, I'll vomit. I must be allowed to recruit everyone (or at least almost everyone) and keep them alive!

bon

I liked Shadow Dragon a lot (almost everything about it), so this is excellent news. On the other hand, it's sort of too bad that the DS probably won't ever get its own original FE game.

wrowa

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed by these news. I hoped that we would finally get a new Fire Emblem instead of another remake.

Beth Cyra

Doesn't really mean much to the game, but I hope the Marth in the next Smash is more like the Marth in that art then the one we have had in Melee and Brawl.

TruePrime said:
Doesn't really mean much to the game, but I hope the Marth in the next Smash is more like the Marth in that art then the one we have had in Melee and Brawl.
This has a very big chance of it happening actually, Smash Bros. always mimic the newest updates nintendo games do.

wrowa said:
I have to say, I'm a little disappointed by these news. I hoped that we would finally get a new Fire Emblem instead of another remake.
I think they plan to remake FE1-6 (minus Gaiden) for the handhelds until one fails and they completely rejigger their plans

Hopefully they save the next console Fire Emblem for the Wii successor. I was fine with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but I don't really want a third one to look like that.

SilverLunar said:
This has a very big chance of it happening actually, Smash Bros. always mimic the newest updates nintendo games do.
Not always.
Ike wasn't in his Radiant Dawn form in Brawl unfortunately.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ShockingAlberto said:
I think they plan to remake FE1-6 (minus Gaiden) for the handhelds until one fails and they completely rejigger their plans

Hopefully they save the next console Fire Emblem for the Wii successor. I was fine with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but I don't really want a third one to look like that.
Which completely sucks, since they should be able to make new handheld iterations. It's not like they have IntSys working on some big new IP instead. They could still do the remakes too if they want, but where's the real FE11 and why can't it be on the DS?

ShockingAlberto said:

This is actually a valid point and I think Nintendo knows that the engine is pretty outdated. I guess if IS has something in store for the Wii, it'll be a new Paper Mario game.

Gunloc said:
Not always.
Ike wasn't in his Radiant Dawn form in Brawl unfortunately.
Well,
I think they wanted to represent him with his "debut" game, You can only have Ike in the 4th part of RD /guess

Actually

It is a little weird that new DS software is being announced from IS now

If this isn't reusing assets, why not just make it a 3DS game?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ShockingAlberto said:
Actually

So maybe it is reusing assets, but just has a different character designer?

Kind of like those Soma Cruz Castlevania games.

bon

ShockingAlberto said:
They could always get together with the Wario Land Shake It animation studio, and make a 2D hand drawn Fire Emblem for Wii.

god how delicious would that be?

Jezan

SilverLunar said:
(Except for Samus and her cool visor of Prime 2 and 3, it was absent in Brawl T_T)

Please be sprites and no that 3d-like shit.

The problem with RD and PoR is that the models were too stiff and slow. Not like FE6-8 awesomeness!!!

The sprites will be the same as the first DS game, if you are expecting GBA-like graphics you will be in for a disappointment.
i didn't mind them at all, they were very fluid :3

Kyosuke

I was kind of expecting this after they decided to remake Fire Emblem 1 instead of Mystery of the Emblem. It's disappointing that we'll have to wait so long for a completely new game, but at least there's a chance we'll eventually get a remake of 4/5.

SilverLunar said:
The sprites will be the same as the first DS game, if you are expecting GBA-like graphics you will be in for a disappointment.
I think it's amazing they found an artstyle that looked worse than the 3D console games!

Jezan

SilverLunar said:
They were fluid but It didn't look as cool. The others were fluid and cool!

SilverLunar said:
Well,
I think they wanted to represent him with his "debut" game, You can only have Ike in the 4th part of RD /guess
But that's not his newest iteration, that's all I was pointing out. It's a shame too because his newest look is by far his best IMO.

slaughterking said:
The DS deserves better than this remake bullshit. :(
I dunno. My knowledge of pre-Thracia Fire Emblems is really, really limited. I'd love to actually play them, but I can see where those who have are disappointed.

Beth Cyra

slaughterking said:
The DS deserves better than this remake bullshit. :(

I don't know, really a Remake shouldn't be to bad and with the 3DS right around the corner I rather IS save Fire Emblem 11 for 3DS. Plus I think they could do some really cool 3D effects with attacks for a new game on the platform so I am kinda happy they are just remaking FE 3 for now.

TruePrime said:
I don't know, really a Remake shouldn't be to bad and with the 3DS right around the corner I rather IS save Fire Emblem 11 for 3DS. Plus I think they could do some really cool 3D effects with attacks for a new game on the platform so I am kinda happy they are just remaking FE 3 for now.
Shadow Dragon is proof how a remake can be kinda bad and a hypothetical 3DS game is honestly no consolation for another two (or so) years without a brandnew, modern Fire Emblem.

Strange that Nintendo should choose to announce this before E3. Maybe they want to make sure that their DS games don't draw attention away from the 3DS unveiling?

Guess that means that there won't be many E3 surprises for the DS and Wii then :(

farnham

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Actually

I heard some rumors that tiranog is doing the port job (kaga shojos team. they also did tearing saga)

farnham

Banned
Bebpo said:
Ok, so then why are they skipping FE2? Was FE3 a direct sequel to FE1 while FE2 was something entirely different?
FE 2 is FE Gaiden

a game with different gameplay style (kinda like shinging force)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Endless said:
Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu (Mystery of the Emblem: Hero of Light and Shadow)

Mucho thankso

I am excited for sure :D . I loved the remake, couldnt care less for the story. I hope they at least give the characters some personality this time around. The artstyle will probably be similar ugh...

Even if id rather have them remake thraccia, im sure they will add enough content for it to be a long lasting fire emblem game. The original book 2 was probably not that long?

farnham

Banned
So there are rumors that this game will feature a scenario with Jagen when he was young. Supposedly he is the shadow hero.

Top Bottom