• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Remake and Fire Emblem 4 Remake to be announced o nthe next Nintendo Direct

amigastar

Oh cool, I’ll probably grab it just to try out

Enjoyed MP1 and 3

What makes MP2 the best?
Can't really answer the question since i've played it long ago. All i remember is there is a dark world. What MP2 excels at, is probably the atmosphere and world design/pacing just like the first MP.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
MP2 has great boss fights, maze like level design, great atmosphere, improved morph ball movement with spider and boost ball, reduced backtracking, higher difficulty that appropriately challenges you, Sanctuary Fortress, The Ing and the lore surrounding them, great music, fun multiplayer.

Caveat I have will always be the ammos system with the 3 Beam weapons you get but other then that it's probably my favorite.

Metroid is not that big of a series though, especially not in Japan. I think they need to go bigger than Metroid Prime 4. I would say that Metroid Prime 4 would be the equivalent of Xenoblade in my post, in that it is a big title but clearly the least of that sort of lineup. Another post mentioned Mario Kart 9 which would be huge obviously.
I would just be so shocked if the next MK was done already, though. They spent 2 years on those new courses, and that just finished in November. But who knows what their launch window looks like. But a safe bet is Mario Party, Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong, and 3D Mario

tr1p1ex

I would just be so shocked if the next MK was done already, though. They spent 2 years on those new courses, and that just finished in November. But who knows what their launch window looks like. But a safe bet is Mario Party, Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong, and 3D Mario
I would bet on MK9. MK8 is the best selling Switch game. It's been over 10 years since MK8 was released. They did release a lot of courses for DLC the past 2 years but a lot of the courses were from the mobile game. Many were remakes/ports. ONly a few are new originals iirc. I don't think releasing that content over 2 years takes up that much time.

I would bet on MK9. MK8 is the best selling Switch game. It's been over 10 years since MK8 was released. They did release a lot of courses for DLC the past 2 years but a lot of the courses were from the mobile game. Many were remakes/ports. ONly a few are new originals iirc. I don't think releasing that content over 2 years takes up that much time.
Yeah, the issue is though that it's not like they've been working on MK9 since 8 Deluxe came out though, right? So the passage of time doesn't really mean much, other than obviously Nintendo wants to make a new MK for the new platform, and have it done soon. I just doubt it's in the launch window.

RAIDEN1

Nintendo should forget about Prime 2 remake, and focus on getting Prime 4 out the door a.s.a.p.....virtually nothing has been seen of the game since its first announcement...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, the issue is though that it's not like they've been working on MK9 since 8 Deluxe came out though, right? So the passage of time doesn't really mean much, other than obviously Nintendo wants to make a new MK for the new platform, and have it done soon. I just doubt it's in the launch window.
Those courses are all lifted from the mobile game. It's nothing. Far as I can tell that team did MK8 and then Arms and not much else.

Those courses are all lifted from the mobile game. It's nothing. Far as I can tell that team did MK8 and then Arms and not much else.
LOL. 100% they've just been busy making other games. The Kyoto EPD teams move people around from project to project. Pikmin, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon, 2D Mario, Ring Fit, Zelda, 1-2 Switch, Captain Toad, Switch Sports, Animal Crossing...

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

The passage of time means a lot. It means the time is more than ripe for a new one. It also means the team hasn't been tied up with the last one either. Some work on MK9 probably has been going on for awhile. It is their best selling title. Been a consistent top selling title for many generations. And surely they've been working on and planning the next one behind the scenes.

I do agree with 3d Mario being another likely launch window release given it is one of their top 5 franchises and they last released one in ~2017.

Last edited:
The passage of time means a lot. It means the time is more than ripe for a new one. It also means the team hasn't been tied up with the last one either. Some work on MK9 probably has been going on for awhile. It is their best selling title. Been a consistent top selling title for many generations. And surely they've been working on and planning the next one behind the scenes.

I do agree with 3d Mario being another likely launch window release given it is one of their top 5 franchises and they last released one in ~2017.

That being said, Nintendo also is a creative company and they aren't going to release stuff just to release it as a rule of thumb.
Yeah, totally agreed MK9 is in some phase of development, and the sooner it comes out, the better for the install base size of the next console ;).

Personally I'm hoping they go in a bit of a different direction and freshen it up a bit. I got bored of MK8 a long, long time ago and DLC courses did nothing for me. I'd like them to make some kind of single-player campaign or something. Give me something to do!

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Even if it is - and I think in recent years it's become a hipster take to say it's AKSHULLY the best - it's still better than the slop coming out these days.
No- At the time bitches complained about the difficulty, but us real folk knew all along

tr1p1ex

Yeah, totally agreed MK9 is in some phase of development, and the sooner it comes out, the better for the install base size of the next console ;).

Personally I'm hoping they go in a bit of a different direction and freshen it up a bit. I got bored of MK8 a long, long time ago and DLC courses did nothing for me. I'd like them to some kind of single-player campaign or something. Give me something to do!
Yep I bought the DLC and didn't play half the courses either. Never really like the anti-grav stuff or kite stuff or underwater stuff of MK8. I never saw the point I guess. Also I had the game on Wii U so for me this generation has been a really long one.

I probably would not get into a sp campaign. I do want some new twist tho. But ...for me I don't think a career mode is the answer.

I'm sure I will buy the next one whatever they do. I do play it once in awhile and always have fun with it. IT's obviously a fun pick up and play game especially with friends/family. A couple years ago I got a steering wheel and we dusted it off and played it a lot for a week or two and had some great fun. The wheel breathed some new life into it for those few weeks.

But I wouldn't bet on MK9 not being in the launch window. And if I could bet on either MK9 or 3d Mario making an appearance in the launch window then I would. That's the bet I would make. Betting on just 1...a little too risky now that I think about it. But either or? That's a pretty sure thing.

Last edited:

Skeptical

Neo Member
Oy. I know no one will read this, but seriously people... There are always, ALWAYS dozens of supposed Nintendo Direct leaks in the month leading up to traditional Direct dates. They are NEVER correct. The only accurate leaks are either from promotional materials for live events (the Jan 2017 reveal and E3 2018) or Pyoro leaking them on twitter a day or two beforehand. Nothing else ever is true.

And don't say the Princess Peach info is proof that this person is legit. The existence of cowgirl and ninja Peach was heavily implied in earlier trailers if you paid attention.

For that matter, other than the out there suggestion of a continuation of the Detective Club games, nothing here is anything other than games that have been heavily rumored or discussed for years. And Nintendo directs never follow the expected path. Everyone discussed F-Zero GX remake. We got F-Zero 99. Everyone speculated on a Paper Mario remaster or a return of the Mario & Luigi series; we got Super Mario RPG (and a PM remaster...). But yes, a FE Geneology remake has been stated to be in development by the same people who knew details regarding FE Engage. The supposed story behind Retro is that they had a remastered Trilogy planned before they were given MP4 and the plan reduced to the first game with others coming later/with outside help. A new Donkey Kong has been rumored forever and was a "makes sense" situation with Nintendo pushing DK in the Mario movie and in the theme park. Oracle remakes was another "makes sense" discussion since the LA remake sold so well (although the fact that the games are on Nintendo Online argues against it; Mario vs Donkey Kong, Mario RPG, and Advance Wars aren't on NSO). I think the Goeman-esque game has already been announceed for the West.

I don't know why Nintendo attracts so many of these fake Direct leaks. Maybe it's a byproduct of the hypersecretive nature. Maybe it's the general high satisfaction with the Direct style that makes people want to imagine it for fun. Maybe it's a little brother syndrome among Nintendo fans, always wanting to be taken seriously by Sony fans and thus always in pursuit of that next Megaton. Who knows? But don't take this with a grain of salt. Take it with a truckload of salt. Some of these items will come true, some will eventually come true later, and some will never manifest.

coffinbirth

RP3N.gif

KU_

Oy. I know no one will read this, but seriously people... There are always, ALWAYS dozens of supposed Nintendo Direct leaks in the month leading up to traditional Direct dates. They are NEVER correct. The only accurate leaks are either from promotional materials for live events (the Jan 2017 reveal and E3 2018) or Pyoro leaking them on twitter a day or two beforehand. Nothing else ever is true.

And don't say the Princess Peach info is proof that this person is legit. The existence of cowgirl and ninja Peach was heavily implied in earlier trailers if you paid attention.

For that matter, other than the out there suggestion of a continuation of the Detective Club games, nothing here is anything other than games that have been heavily rumored or discussed for years. And Nintendo directs never follow the expected path. Everyone discussed F-Zero GX remake. We got F-Zero 99. Everyone speculated on a Paper Mario remaster or a return of the Mario & Luigi series; we got Super Mario RPG (and a PM remaster...). But yes, a FE Geneology remake has been stated to be in development by the same people who knew details regarding FE Engage. The supposed story behind Retro is that they had a remastered Trilogy planned before they were given MP4 and the plan reduced to the first game with others coming later/with outside help. A new Donkey Kong has been rumored forever and was a "makes sense" situation with Nintendo pushing DK in the Mario movie and in the theme park. Oracle remakes was another "makes sense" discussion since the LA remake sold so well (although the fact that the games are on Nintendo Online argues against it; Mario vs Donkey Kong, Mario RPG, and Advance Wars aren't on NSO). I think the Goeman-esque game has already been announceed for the West.

I don't know why Nintendo attracts so many of these fake Direct leaks. Maybe it's a byproduct of the hypersecretive nature. Maybe it's the general high satisfaction with the Direct style that makes people want to imagine it for fun. Maybe it's a little brother syndrome among Nintendo fans, always wanting to be taken seriously by Sony fans and thus always in pursuit of that next Megaton. Who knows? But don't take this with a grain of salt. Take it with a truckload of salt. Some of these items will come true, some will eventually come true later, and some will never manifest.
Didn’t read all that, just quoting for when these rumors come to fruition.

Paltheos

Oh cool, I’ll probably grab it just to try out

Enjoyed MP1 and 3

What makes MP2 the best?

Clearly iterative design (MP3 is an ok game, but it's fairly different from the other two). Getting around the world is easier in MP2, there are more bosses (a common criticism of the first game), and some of the new environments are excellent. I think the first game's environments on average are better, but MP2 has my favorites. The central gimmick to the game is also fun. It's not a perfect game - I am on some points disappointed - but it's the game in the trilogy that I've found myself revisiting the most.

NanaMiku

Detective Club got a sequel? I guess the remake sold pretty well, too bad the third game was not included.

Still waiting for Buddy Mission: Bond to be localized though. Wow, I just found out the devs for this game is Ruby Party, a studio of Koei Tecmo that specializes in otome game. That's why it has a strong otome game aura...

MagnesD3

Never played MP2

Is it considered the worst in the trilogy?
Its the worst but not by much its still good just a letdown. The world is the least interesting of the 3 games and most of the new abilities arent great besides screw attack (but not used enough). Also it leans heavy on a dark world mechanic that was pretty annoying, doesn't fix any of the originals shortcomings either.

3s problem comes from it being a linear not connected world alot is lost from what makes metroid special and it isnt as fun of an experience to constantly use motion controls to play but it does do some interesting things with it and I liked them trying to use health in another way. The worlds were interesting too even if segmented.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Remakes of the Oracle games? This leak is too good to be true. I’d honestly be surprised- wait a sec, I forgot that they released those on NSO a few months back. Hot shit, maybe a remake really will happen.

Marvel14

Banned
This would point to an autumn/xmas Switch 2 launch no? Too many games happening in the interim for the launch to be earlier...

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Remakes of the Oracle games? This leak is too good to be true. I’d honestly be surprised- wait a sec, I forgot that they released those on NSO a few months back. Hot shit, maybe a remake really will happen.
That's what I don't believe tho. If they are remaking them, maybe as one game, why release them on NSO? I think Mario RPG wasn't released because of that, no?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fucking nintendo!

Making these other companies look like turds.

They are at full steam now and are on fire if these rumours are true.

I'll buy all the games.

Top Bottom